Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cabbage for android

• 18-02-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭

Just discovered cabbage for android in the market, great app. I didn't realise we were getting it so soon. Fair play to the developer - I know he's on here occasionally.

BTW its an app that let's you use your free network texts on your phone; desktop etc...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Just discovered cabbage for android in the market, great app. I didn't realise we were getting it so soon. Fair play to the developer - I know he's on here occasionally.

BTW its an app that let's you use your free network texts on your phone; desktop etc...

got a link to it?
    this app will make my change to Android so much easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

It appears as Cabbage Lite on my Market. By the way, it wasn't done by Sam Vimes - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805765

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Baza210 wrote: »
    It appears as Cabbage Lite on my Market. By the way, it wasn't done by Sam Vimes - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805765

No it wasn't :)

It was done by a friend of mine and uses my texting scripts in the background but the android is all his

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

And it works well, must commend your friend on his porting skills :)

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    And it works well, must commend your friend on his porting skills :)

It wasn't even porting, he wrote it himself from scratch. It's just the http request that's the same. So you can commend him for that :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Sam was it any one i know?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

just installed it. Seems like it works well

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Been using it the last few days and am delighted with it very useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

has anyone used it and can they say if it works .

reason i ask is that im goin to buy new ph and considering a tattoo but had ruled it out after talking to Sam cos it doesnt support his cabbage progam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Works on the Hero anyway. Great little app.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

works on n1 no prob, great little application :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

Excellent, I though Jelly SMS was what I had to use from now on but I found it slow and it always signatured the sent texts, this is perfect.

BTW, on a G1 - Android 1.6 (Cyanogen). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Brilliant little app. Using it on my hero(running Vanillian 2.1 rom) and worked perfectly. Tested it with my friends phone beside me and they received the text in less than 10 seconds after hitting the send button, very impressed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Works great.... nice job by your friend, Sam.

A couple of issues he might look at for the next version:

1. I have my numbers stored as +353 (87) 1234567. If I select a number from my list (with this format), it says that "Info: Looks like you have no credit remaining....". If I put it in as 0871234567 it works fine.

2. On the contact lookup, it is showing all contacts (thousands of them from my years using gmail, and only 150 of them have phone numbers). Any way to automatically filter the list to show those with numbers only?

Mr E wrote: »
    1. I have my numbers stored as +353 (87) 1234567. If I select a number from my list (with this format), it says that "Info: Looks like you have no credit remaining....". If I put it in as 0871234567 it works fine.
    I'll have to tell him to change that error. That's the equivalent of the "unexpected response format" error you'd get on Cabbage. It means that the vodafone website didn't gives the expected page and I think I know why this is happening, he needs to url encode the phone numbers. I'll let him know, or just point him to this thread :)
    Mr E wrote: »
    2. On the contact lookup, it is showing all contacts (thousands of them from my years using gmail, and only 150 of them have phone numbers). Any way to automatically filter the list to show those with numbers only?

That's one for him again
    MiCr0 wrote: »
    Sam was it any one i know?

Yes it was. I think you can guess who from his username ryderster :)

It was updated today, but my bugs weren't fixed.
    On the plus side, the error message is better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Only partially works on the Nexus One for me. I can send a text if i manually type in the phone number but trying to choose a contact doesnt populate the field with a name or number. Also, some contacts appear multiple times in the list even though they're really only there once.

Its a bit annoying that it puts the error in the text entry box too (so if you typed a long message and there is an error, you lose it).

I'm just going to tell him to subscribe to this thread

i warned him this would happen :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

I've been using the web based version of cabbage on the hero for the last while. The best thing about it is that you can add to your own little phone book your most contacted people, cause i'd only regurlarly text about 10/15 people on my phone.

If there could be a button to bring up your most contacted people, even if they were only ten spaces i think this program would be perfect, save having to search through the whole phone book every time trying to send a message.

Purely for this reason i'm sticking to the web based version. Still great program tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Great app. So handy that I dont really need to carry an Irish and UK phone with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭ryderster

ill try fix your issues this weekend,

- the error message removing your message will be fixed tomorrow.
    - the contact list issue, currently i am reading in all the contact stored on your phone, ill create a list to read only ones available with phones numbers tomorrow too

- and ill try pick up frequently send sms numbers if i can otherwise i may use frequent called numbers??
    - if you want anything fixed i am available on gtalk @ ryderster@gmail.com or on mail.

regards,
    ryderster

Android has its own filter for phone contacts. Can that be used? I have thousands of contacts on my phone, but the Contacts/People screen only shows ones with phone numbers...

yes ur right, but as far as i can see you have filter it for numbers; this is done by creating a object which stores names with numbers. well that was the way before they introduced the new sdk update anyway.

ill have a good look into it the weekend, but it should be quite straight forward.
    regards,
    ryderster

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

ryderster wrote: »
    - and ill try pick up frequently send sms numbers if i can otherwise i may use frequent called numers?

Something like that'd be sweet. If you can't pick out that info I'd suggest even manually inputting numbers to the program (if even possible) for people you text the most. I'd just find it easier to scroll through the ten or so people I text rather than having to look through all my contacts.

Tis great that your looking for feed back btw, keep up the good work

@ Ryderster - thank you for the application. A few requests please.

- Automatic clearing of the Text Message field when you tap it (instead of pressing clear).
    - Auto Capitalisation of a new sentence and automatic grammar like Android has (e.g ill to I'll / dont to don't / recieve to receive)
    - Outbox, Sent, Drafts and History option.
    - Ability to send past the 160 character limit (like in all the other Cabbage versions).

Other than that, it works brilliantly, simple and effective.

cpu.dude wrote: »
    - Ability to send past the 160 character limit (like in all the other Cabbage versions).

There should be no need to limit it to 160 characters, the scripts on my server support long messages.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    There should be no need to limit it to 160 characters, the scripts on my server support long messages.
    Exactly, the app itself only allows 160 (double checked there, typing 160 characters takes its toll when it's not by means of a normal text message) :)

• Advertisement

Okay,

sam, i should really sit down with you, next week and see is there anything else i need to know about your service :)

Right its only a setting on text box which is set to 160 characters... is there any max limit???

Regarding the other requests:

- Automatic clearing of the Text Message field when you tap it (instead of pressing clear).
    -->not sure about this one, could be a little dangerous... but could put it in a settings file possible.

- Auto Capitalisation of a new sentence and automatic grammar like Android has (e.g ill to I'll / dont to don't / recieve to receive)
    -->Yes this is something ill do, its only a text field parameters as far as I know.

- Outbox, Sent, Drafts and History option.
    --> Okay, yes I'll do this but involves a little bit of work, so will put it on the list.

--> Text field parameters, wasnt aware that sam vines server could handle over 160 characters, its my over sight, sorry.

regards,
    ryderster

Advertisement