Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Oak windows : Maintenance nightmare?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at solid oak windows from an Austrian manufacturer. Very nice product.

Am considering these over Aluclad. The reason being that this manufacturer cannot supply an aluclad sliding door for some reason. The aluclad pine\spruce (not sure which timber) is the same price approx. as non aluclad oak. I could go with the aluclad and get the slider sprayed the colour of the aluclad. However, I am concerned about having a softwood slider and how long would it last.

I've exhausted the list of window suppliers with suitable products so I will likely choose one of these options.

In our climate am I asking for trouble with the Oak? I've seen references in other threads about timber windows lasting very well as long as they are well maintained.

What sort of maintenance am I looking at? House is in Laois so not a high exposure zone.

The windows are treated using products from www.sikkens.co.uk who I am told are highly respected. Does this make any difference?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Note: I received explicit permission from the mods to reference www.sikkens.co.uk before I posted about them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

My only experience of using oak externally is one I regretted . I used it for external handrailing over a toughened glass balcony gaurding . Within a few months it had cracked and split badly . Changed it for teak - no problems after that .

Maybe a call to sikkens would help ?

On a tangential note about 8 years ago I was looking at using Austrian windows ( alu clad ) . To their credit they raised the issue of proximity to the sea ( not a problem in Laois - my site was in Dun Laoghaire ) as they were unsure that the alloys used in their hinges and stays could withstand a marine environment . Never did use them in the end so never got to the bottom of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

I would prefer the softwood myself. Oak is not a particularly nice wood to use for small items, it cracks a lot and is brittle if allowed to dry out (even in Ireland it could happen). I've made furniture with it several times and have always kicked myself for not using something more forgiving.

The softwood windows, if properly treated, shouldn't have any disadvantages over the oak. Even the Aluclad wouldn't be hugely better if you're not in an exposed location.

In using most hardwoods for exterior applications keep in mind that it is only the heartwood of these trees which is more robust than softwood for exterior applications. Since I doubt you can be sure they will use that part of the tree (it isn't separated out in milling) then I would just use a treated softwood.

The only hardwoods that can resist exterior conditions with no treatments, such as ipe, tigerwood, and brazilian redwood, come from tropical locations and usually unsustainable/questionable sources. Using them contributes to deforestation and environmental degradation overseas and should be frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

The softwood windows, if properly treated, shouldn't have any disadvantages over the oak. Even the Aluclad wouldn't be hugely better if you're not in an exposed location.

Well you learn something new everyday.

Aluclad wouldn't require any painting\staining however...

Thanks

SAS

Its true the aluclad needs less maintenance. Timber windows would need treatment every 5 years or so.

I actually think that the regular maintenance is a good thing, it allows you to better monitor the condition of your windows and see how they're doing. A little bit of surface damage can be sanded off and the timber re-treated. Timber windows last for years, I personally have worked on projects that included restoring original windows from the 1700s.

My concern, maybe unfounded, with Aluclad windows is that the aluminium protection also keeps you from being able to see the condition of the wood underneath. If the cladding isn't draining properly you could end up with rotting wood that you can't see until its too late.

My concern, maybe unfounded, with Aluclad windows is that the aluminium protection also keeps you from being able to see the condition of the wood underneath. If the cladding isn't draining properly you could end up with rotting wood that you can't see until its too late.

Fair point. However, there will always be parts of the window that aren't visible\accessible so there is always this risk to a greater or lesser extent.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Its true the aluclad needs less maintenance. Timber windows would need treatment every 5 years or so.

I actually think that the regular maintenance is a good thing, it allows you to better monitor the condition of your windows and see how they're doing. A little bit of surface damage can be sanded off and the timber re-treated. Timber windows last for years, I personally have worked on projects that included restoring original windows from the 1700s.

Plus aluclad windows are a relatively new product there's no telling what could hapen in 5, 10 or 40 years whereas with wood if it is seasoned properly and maintained it should outlast all others.

What Timbers are better suited to windows if Oak isn't?

Is Larch better?

We generally specify swedish pine but it usually ends up being up to the supplier. We're more concerned with getting windows with a long warranty as it's usually an indication of quality.

We generally specify swedish pine but it usually ends up being up to the supplier. We're more concerned with getting windows with a long warranty as it's usually an indication of quality.

Thanks, I've clarified with the supplier that my options are Pine, Spruce, Oak, Larch and Meranti.

How long is a long warranty in your opinion?

SAS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How much do you like sanding and varnishing all the windows several times over every year to 18 months or so?

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    How much do you like sanding and varnishing all the windows several times over every year to 18 months or so?

That is completely bogus. Several times a year? Several times a decade maybe, since you'll have to do routine maintenance every few years... on the upside if you do it they'll last pretty much forever. My parents have a cabin in Lake Placid in the states which has much harsher weather than Ireland... the windows are over 100 years old and they get sanded/painted every 10 years or so.

SAS- On projects we've done with Premierebond, they expect a 10-year warranty and most companies who stand by their work will extend their warranties to meet it. One company I've used a few times have no problem with this. German/scandanavian companies generally give standard 5-year warranties but will also extend on request. A couple of reputable irish companies will give 6+ years as well. Definitely look for 5 years or more and see if they're willing to extend it; since a good timber window will last they'll be willing to stand over it.

sas wrote: »
    Thanks, I've clarified with the supplier that my options are Pine, Spruce, Oak, Larch and Meranti.

How long is a long warranty in your opinion?

SAS

Pine, Spruce and Larch are all robust options from relatively fast growing trees that are usually farmed.

Oak is from a slow growing tree, and is brittle when dry. It is not a sustainable solution and probably not a good one for performance either. Use oak and other hardwoods judiciously as the trees need to grow for 100+ years before harvest.

Meranti is a tropical hardwood. For ethical reasons (deforestation, lack of sustainable sources, dangerous harvesting conditions, timber theiving) it should not be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

It might help to talk to these guys are the seem fairly close to you.
    and do sliding sash windows

http://www.careyglassjoinery.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

That is completely bogus. Several times a year? Several times a decade maybe, since you'll have to do routine maintenance every few years... on the upside if you do it they'll last pretty much forever. My parents have a cabin in Lake Placid in the states which has much harsher weather than Ireland... the windows are over 100 years old and they get sanded/painted every 10 years or so.

SAS- On projects we've done with Premierebond, they expect a 10-year warranty and most companies who stand by their work will extend their warranties to meet it. One company I've used a few times have no problem with this. German/scandanavian companies generally give standard 5-year warranties but will also extend on request. A couple of reputable irish companies will give 6+ years as well. Definitely look for 5 years or more and see if they're willing to extend it; since a good timber window will last they'll be willing to stand over it.

Appoligies,I meant to type several windows,as in windows in the house.And not several times a year.

Sorry about that.

Advertisement