Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mazda RX7

• 03-03-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Spent most of yesterday shooting this RX7. The owner is a close friend of mine, so getting the most out of this shoot was a top priority. This was my first shoot since October, so has been a while since I last got behind the lens. I made some seriously stupid mistakes, along with breaking a flash transmitter & receiver.

The colour was a challenge to shoot, not just to get a good exposure but to try and faithfully represent the shade of silver. I've so much to learn my head hurts.

It’s an early model FD with the late spec front end, RE Amemiya sideskirts with carbon fibre trays. The engine was built and prepared by rotary tuner Dragon Performance and is estimated at above 400 BHP.

4403814059_f723ec7f27_o.jpg

4404579378_b8c473f538_o.jpg

4403815159_4190dc2dc3_o.jpg

4403815623_111798071c_o.jpg

4404580530_9553c75c77_o.jpg

4403816193_3b68cfbc10_o.jpg

4404581090_f795b93468_o.jpg

4404581244_21ba3840cf_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

They are amazing in my opinion. the motion shot is great. the colours are good if not a bit cold. but great all round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Excellent as usual,Paddy. Those panning shots are brilliant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Great set. No. 6 is my favourite :)

6 and 2 are the best! brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Excellent shots, well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

#2 is my favourite. Really like the background too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

4 looks too hmmm, planned looking or something, but the rest look great., 6 is fantastic,.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Very nice, number 6 is now my screen saver... Share them with the guys on Irishrotary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    RX7 Pictures

Any full size pics? Would love to make a Windows 7 Theme out of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The backgrounds in the 1st 4 pics remind me of the backgrounds in the PC game I've been playing the last few days...Half Life 2 Episode 2.

#2 is my favourite of the factory background shots.
    #6 is cropped to much to the right (behind the car)
    #7 Is very very impressive.
    #8 A nice touch is the door open and the keys hanging out of the ignition.

• Advertisement

the only crititism i can give really is that all the pictures are pristine bar number 8. the dirt on the door cill and door lets it down slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Were some of these shot in New Ross?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Great location, and the motion shots are stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The backgrounds in the 1st 4 pics remind me of the backgrounds in the PC game I've been playing the last few days...Half Life 2 Episode 2.

#2 is my favourite of the factory background shots.
    #6 is cropped to much to the right (behind the car)
    #7 Is very very impressive.
    #8 A nice touch is the door open and the keys hanging out of the ignition.

Was thinking the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Damn cool shots, what equip did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

@gman2k
    Yup, shot on the quay in New Ross at the abandoned service station.

@Martron
    Aye, the interior was filthy from me and the owner jumping in and out all day. TBH it was getting late, we were both cold so I just made do. When it goes to print it'll be barely noticeable (I hope) as they always print the interior pictures small.

@thecageyone
    Shot on a 5D MKII with a 24-105 F4 L for the most part, interior and detail with a Sigma 50 F1.4. Some of the external shots used two strobes (580EX II & SB800) usually use a 430EX as well but the damn receiver broke. The tracking shots utilise a custom built suction mounted boom arm, which was set to five meters for this shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Yup, shot on the quay in New Ross at the abandoned service station.

Great shots Paddy, and that's a great location also - a lot in the style of Archer's Garage in Dublin.
    Was there much PP involved in the images shown? PS the motion shots are superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

gman2k wrote: »
    Great shots Paddy, and that's a great location also - a lot in the style of Archer's Garage in Dublin.
    Was there much PP involved in the images shown? PS the motion shots are superb!

I was going to ask the same question - btw amazing shots. would love to get my car pictured like this.

Not a huge amount at all, the rig shots are the most heavily touched ones and thats just to remove the rig and it's reflection. I reckon there is less than five minutes spent on each of the static shots.

really fantastic.
    can i ask. whats the benefits in this situation having a rig?

is it that you dont need chase car? or is there something else?

• Advertisement

You don't need a chase car, you have better control over the speed, can compose the image better and you can composite multiple frames together as the camera is always in the same position relative to the car. It also gives a different quality of speed and implied motion over a traditional tracking shot. The car is never going faster than walking pace so you can get silky smooth roads and lots of wheel movement.

Here's a picture of the rig unedited to give you an idea of positioning and size.

4408300405_ee12592fdf.jpg

how long is the jib?

thanks for the reply. did you make the rig or buy it?

Made it myself, that configuration pictured is five meters, I have enough material to stretch it to seven meters but have never needed that length (yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sweet set!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

That is one quality motor.. Brilliant photos

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Must be a nightmare to clone out that rig!

Advertisement