Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding Street Fighter - Tips etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Nice one man, but why at the start of the thread did you mix games? Like ST then 3s?

Obv playing the game is the most important part and being willing to learn. You're going to lose and that's just part of the learning process. When you play the game a lot things seem to flow into one another and grasping certain aspects of the game become simple

However imo, just some criticism, above post looks a little messy, not in a literal sense, maybe some headings etc, marked beginner/intermediate etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yeah I agree, I'll get to that tomorrow.

Oh and its a general street fighter thing not just SFIV hence why theres other vids there. I think sirlins vids are pretty important anyway in understanding street fighter in general. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Nice thread Sisko. Yeah the ST tutorials are pretty universal. I remember they came free with a SF game,can't remember if it's Capcom classics 2 or the hyper aniversary edition on ps2 or the superior Xbox version,which has 3rd strike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This guy makes a good effort at explaining Guile's basic game plan.

Sonic Flash explaining plinking (alot of Guiles combos have one frame links) and the SfP xx FK combo which some people have trouble with:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Get Darksydephil out of the Balrog thing (I assume it's him from the voice) and replace it with these. Far more informative and expansive than "Ugh fukkit, can't do the combo" guy.

Gootecks Teaches Balrog Pt1
    Gootecks Teaches Balrog Pt2
    Gootecks Teaches Balrog Pt3

Nice thread dude, can be easy to really flesh it out over time.

Ye gootecks tutorial is great.

Anyone know here know much about frame data? What does it mean when it says 1+1 on startup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

1+1 would mean theres a 1 frame startup, then the ultra animation then 1 more frame of startup after the animation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

PPC wrote: »
    1+1 would mean theres a 1 frame startup, then the ultra animation then 1 more frame of startup after the animation.

Alright, cheers.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Instead of the first few videos, maybe try these SF4 based ones? Well, I'm biased anyway, as these videos essentially showed me how bad I was and shaped me into the somewhat decent player I am now. Particularly stuff like wake up game (I used to jump away if I got knockdown (used to main Ryu)) and tick throws (not that I use them, but, helped me learn how to avoid them)

Those vids are good are a good addition, but Sirlins and the eventhub vids are much easier to take in. I'll add but not replace. :p They'll complement the other vids nicely.

I'll put everything in quotes , might clean it up a bit we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I think a direct link to the street fighter 4 portal on eventhubs would be good idea since most new lurkers in the forum would be playing 4 (or super). Some great info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Woke up this morning deciding to learn some sakura after a session in my mate's gaff, low and behold two great vids for me to study. Cheers! :)

Yeah friend of mine was looking to main her for awhile so I was looking for stuff awhile back to help him and found those vids which I think are pretty good. Her reset is such a powerful tool.

I like how one goes over the different resets and then another is a player explaining the thinking behind playing her using youtubes captions. very helpful to beginners to see what players need to be thinking and looking for mid match.

@ Ry, very good vid, never saw that one before. Love the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Sisko wrote: »
    @ Ry, very good vid, never saw that one before. Love the music!

Yeh I was really impressed by the meterless dash cancels stuff she can pull off which I've yet to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Man, I totally forgot to post these vids.
    They're from a SFII:Hyper Fighting tape, but they are STILL relevant to this day.

If anyone wants the full 30-minute video, I can upload it at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The tutorial videos with the dodgy character intros and a narrator explaining the combos are actually quite good.

Here is part 1:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Too much cheese... Can't... go on...

K.O.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

On that guile standing fierce flash kick combo in the first vids.. im sure i've just seen guys combo crouching fierce into flash kick???.

BanjoB wrote: »
    On that guile standing fierce flash kick combo in the first vids.. im sure i've just seen guys combo crouching fierce into flash kick???.

Can't be done. C fp doesn't have cancel properties. They just look similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I've watched these videos and learned quite a bit I didn't know from them. Put it into practise against the computer but still seem to be coming out with the same win/lose ratio but feeling a bit better about my technical game.

As I mentioned in another thread I've never played against a human opponent, and don't have XBL at the moment to do so. So what is the best course of action to improve my game?

And also, the character I main (well play most often at) is not exactly in the top tier of the most recent tier list, is it worth carrying on with him or learn a new character to play with?

• Advertisement

jonnybadd wrote: »
    I've watched these videos and learned quite a bit I didn't know from them. Put it into practise against the computer but still seem to be coming out with the same win/lose ratio but feeling a bit better about my technical game.

As I mentioned in another thread I've never played against a human opponent, and don't have XBL at the moment to do so. So what is the best course of action to improve my game?

And also, the character I main (well play most often at) is not exactly in the top tier of the most recent tier list, is it worth carrying on with him or learn a new character to play with?

You're in Dublin?

Show up to some casuals and tournaments. Nothing like that to improve the game. The computer doesn't try to combat zoning etc the way a human does.

Also, I main the 3rd lowest rated character in the game. I play because I enjoy it with him.

I'd probably win more with a high tier character but I probably wouldn't put in the effort I do as it wouldn't be as fun. It's a choice everyone makes at some point playing fgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Being low-tier can be an advantage sometimes, as you have that "surprise" factor (like Ken_B's Vega).
    However, it always helps to have a solid high-level character, like Ryu or Sagat, as back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Can't be done. C fp doesn't have cancel properties. They just look similar.
    Actually tried it 2day and yep, no cancel properties. that close fierce is what confused me.. was tryin some of those combos too and that one frame link into mp is damn tough.. do u use them much doom??

You're in Dublin?

Show up to some casuals and tournaments. Nothing like that to improve the game. The computer doesn't try to combat zoning etc the way a human does.

Also, I main the 3rd lowest rated character in the game. I play because I enjoy it with him.

I'd probably win more with a high tier character but I probably wouldn't put in the effort I do as it wouldn't be as fun. It's a choice everyone makes at some point playing fgs.

Aye, was gonna come along last week but never made it into town, but maybe Saturday week I'll come along if ye'll have me. At least it'll be an easy win for a few people:rolleyes:

Do the higher tier characters take more learning to be good at playing them?

I generally play Ken, and really enjoy playing him, from what I know it doesnt take a lot to learn most of his game, and I'm not the biggest fan of charging characters. Are there any tips ye would have for playing single player to get better or is it a case of purely playing real people to improve?

vader%20NOOOO.jpg

My thread has FAILED!

Hehe nah theres enough info here that should help any new players that visit the forums. No need to update the 1st post. Unless some really useful info comes out regarding Super SF4.

Could we sticky this though please so its there for people to see when they visit?

jonnybadd wrote: »
    Are there any tips ye would have for playing single player to get better or is it a case of purely playing real people to improve?

A hell of a lot of the game is about reading the other player. All single player is good for is practicing moves. What you could do what will help you for when you do get some games in with other players is learn some match up.

A lot of new players have massive trouble against blanka. Knowing that you can ultra blanka's slide and all that kinda stuff will be handy for you, for example.

Training mode has a record feature that allows you to control the other character for 10 seconds , then it'll play it back. Use this to set up moves from other characters and practice your punishes and to test what you can do against them on block or what you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Malchia

Training mode has a record feature that allows you to control the other character for 10 seconds , then it'll play it back. Use this to set up moves from other characters and practice your punishes and to test what you can do against them on block or what you can't.

OH HO HO HO I never thought of this XD killer advice, must try later

Thread tidied up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The tutorial videos with the dodgy character intros and a narrator explaining the combos are actually quite good.

Here is part 1:

"After years of devotion and self-denial, my offensive and defensive capabilities are frawless."

There's a new quote for the ages right there.

Really enjoying this thread. There's a lot of fascinating stuff here I hadn't been using.

• Advertisement

A hell of a lot of the game is about reading the other player. All single player is good for is practicing moves. What you could do what will help you for when you do get some games in with other players is learn some match up.

A lot of new players have massive trouble against blanka. Knowing that you can ultra blanka's slide and all that kinda stuff will be handy for you, for example.

Blanka can slide?:rolleyes:

Will try the training mode job to see if I can get some sort of gameplan going.

While I have ye, Is there much benifit in the challenge mode side of things? I mean I've learned a few combos/links because of it but is there a real need to learn these for play? I mean from the fights I've seen its almost like a chess match, a few hits, defence, a few more and you eek out the wins, but is there ever a situation where you need the muscle memory of these combos to win?

Advertisement