Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS Work Placement Program

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dunlops26

I recently applied to a company that had a work placement advertised.While the company seemed ok i was expected to work the full 9 months and they weren`t prepared to shorten the time frame if they felt i was suitable.I have since been asked to attend a second interview!!.I personally think employers and fas are getting away very likely on all this.

9 months is far to long this should be flexible, a review after 4 months with a firm commitment to employment been given at a later date.

Your not entitled to F.I.S while on these schemes yet a staff doing the same job in the company on similiar money are.

Social welfare rates should not have been touched for these schemes.The cost of just getting to your placement everyday would eat up alot of you dole if you have to drive.

There has been an explosion of WPP vacancies on the fas site while actual vacancies jobs have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Graduated in Mechanical Engineering in May. Worked full time in a library until December 16th. Saw a job advertised on Ibec, an unpaid engineering internship that I would be really interested in.

Am unable to receive SW payments while working in the internship unless I have been receiving the dole already for minimum of 3 months. Therefore, this job is effectively shut off for me, as I would be unable to live with zero income whatsoever for 9 months. My friend from college, who has been unemployed since we finished, would be entitled to keep receiving SW payments if she went for this job. WTF is that about?

I am effectively being punished for having had a job until 2 weeks ago. How the hell does this encourage me to find work experience. I am so angry about this, I feel like I just keep hitting a brick wall. The whole social welfare system is completely ****ed. Should I just sit on my arse til March and then start looking for work? Hard to ask what you can do for your country when you are not incentivised in the slightest.

So fcuking angry, it's like they want me to buy a one way ticket to Australia. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Shelga wrote: »
    Graduated in Mechanical Engineering in May. Worked full time in a library until December 16th. Saw a job advertised on Ibec, an unpaid engineering internship that I would be really interested in.

Am unable to receive SW payments while working in the internship unless I have been receiving the dole already for minimum of 3 months. Therefore, this job is effectively shut off for me, as I would be unable to live with zero income whatsoever for 9 months. My friend from college, who has been unemployed since we finished, would be entitled to keep receiving SW payments if she went for this job. WTF is that about?

I am effectively being punished for having had a job until 2 weeks ago. How the hell does this encourage me to find work experience. I am so angry about this, I feel like I just keep hitting a brick wall. The whole social welfare system is completely ****ed. Should I just sit on my arse til March and then start looking for work? Hard to ask what you can do for your country when you are not incentivised in the slightest.

So fcuking angry, it's like they want me to buy a one way ticket to Australia. :mad::mad::mad:

Why on earth did you leave a paid job? I admire your will to work in what you qualified in but to leave a paying job is absurd in these times. If I were you, I'd forget about the internship and get the job you left back. Whilst you're working you can do some mech engineering stuff by doing an open university course or something similar.

RichardAnd wrote: »
    Why on earth did you leave a paid job? I admire your will to work in what you qualified in but to leave a paying job is absurd in these times. If I were you, I'd forget about the internship and get the job you left back. Whilst you're working you can do some mech engineering stuff by doing an open university course or something similar.

I didn't leave voluntarily; I had a 6 month contract that wasn't renewed. I was looking for engineering jobs throughout the 6 months also.

Shelga wrote: »
    I didn't leave voluntarily; I had a 6 month contract that wasn't renewed. I was looking for engineering jobs throughout the 6 months also.

ahh, pardon me. It was just the phrasing of your words that led me to believe you'd left of your own will.

But the problem you described is one that bewilders me. A intuitive person is perfectly capable of finding an unpaid intern-ship without FAS's "help". In my opinion, the WPP should be scrapped and those who wish to work unpaid jobs simply be allowed to keep their dole payments. IT would be much simpler but of course, that's something FAS seem to be unable to do.

I'm sure I'll get strong words for this suggestion but have you considered simply doing the internship on the quiet and drawing the dole whilst you do? No one you work with would know you're not being paid and indeed, it would be none of their business anyway. I've known people who did unpaid work on the dole without any hassle.

• Advertisement

I have considered this but don't think I'd get away with it, as IBEC requires documentation from the SW office at the start of the internship, and vice versa. Guess I will keep applying to SMEs and grad schemes until my 3 months of doing nothing is up :rolleyes:

Great little country we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

In my 5 months on the dole, Shelga (also an engineer)...it has become abundantly clear to me that in this country, the system is set up in such a way that if you make no attempt to try getting an education or a job or not bother trying to pull yourself up in any way, they can't throw money and courses at you fast enough.However if you have tried, been educated, maybe saved a bit of money for yourself or whatever, you can't access anything until you're made to feel like a complete waster for a long period of time.
    The dole is supposed to exist to help people out when they fall on hard times, as so many have now.But instead the system runs in such a way that you're better off not to bother trying to make it in any other way first, because you'll get more out doing less. It has been the source of a huge amount of anger for me in recent months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

professore wrote: »
    Yes there are loads of sites for that :

www.freelanceireland.ie

The list goes on ... often the money's not great but better than € 0 per week and you can really get some great experience for your portfolio.

I don't think that site has ever worked properly. It never had projects on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

went for an interview for a wpp last week, basically the guy wants me to break my bollix for nine months with no view to permanent work, just wants to exploit people with no jobs and pay them nothing..

im a quailified sparks and electrical engineer, been out of work since may. cant get a job at all, but trying very hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

dan_d wrote: »
    In my 5 months on the dole, Shelga (also an engineer)...it has become abundantly clear to me that in this country, the system is set up in such a way that if you make no attempt to try getting an education or a job or not bother trying to pull yourself up in any way, they can't throw money and courses at you fast enough.However if you have tried, been educated, maybe saved a bit of money for yourself or whatever, you can't access anything until you're made to feel like a complete waster for a long period of time.
    The dole is supposed to exist to help people out when they fall on hard times, as so many have now.But instead the system runs in such a way that you're better off not to bother trying to make it in any other way first, because you'll get more out doing less. It has been the source of a huge amount of anger for me in recent months.

5 months myself and I 100% know what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think that site has ever worked properly. It never had projects on it.

Who needs free enterprise, the Communist government supplies the free labour to companies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The fas wpp program was designed to prepare people for slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I am in similar although not identical position to Shelga above.

I am still in a job which I have held for years. I work in a small pharmacy stocking shelves and the like for 15 hours a week. Its the same job I have held for all of my undergraduate study and postgraduate study. Finished college last year and have not been able to get any foothold on a proper job related to my study.

The vast majority of positions advertised these days are WPP. Its so frustrating. If I leave my part time work I am not entitled to claim SW and therefore would have to live on nothing to do a WPP. Its like been stuck between a rock and a hard place. Soul destroying.

You'll probably have to move yourself off island to utilise that education and get some experience. With some experience and money you may have a better chance to work in the job you desire in Ireland in the future.

Riskymove wrote: »
    You could monitor how many normally paid staff are being replaced by placement staff, there should be a limit

AFAIK newly graduated teachers need to work a certain amount of days in a school, paid or unpaid, to become fully qualified...that is the incentive to do it for teachers

So you really think FAS will monitor this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Hi, i was just reading all the posts on this so far. I had an interview last week for a work placement programme, three people interviewed mw, it was tough goin, flying the questions at me, the way i took it was that i need to take to the job within a few days, very busy role, the impression i got from them was that ill be working my ass off everyday for nothing. they rang me yesterday to offer me the role, im am unsure now about taking it, how does the social welware payments work, like how do you collect the payment when your in work doin the placement? a bit of advise would be great, im out of work 3 months, i just want to be out doin something, but i dont know if i want to be just used for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi, i was just reading all the posts on this so far. I had an interview last week for a work placement programme, three people interviewed mw, it was tough goin, flying the questions at me, the way i took it was that i need to take to the job within a few days, very busy role, the impression i got from them was that ill be working my ass off everyday for nothing. they rang me yesterday to offer me the role, im am unsure now about taking it, how does the social welware payments work, like how do you collect the payment when your in work doin the placement? a bit of advise would be great, im out of work 3 months, i just want to be out doin something, but i dont know if i want to be just used for free.

Will you be gaining useful experience, learning new skills, that will make you more employable in the future? If so, that's not nothing, it's actually quite valuable. In your position I'd bite their hand off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I run a small software company (1 person, working from home mostly), and I wanted to offer a WPP position to give someone experience. Would probably let the person work on whatever they liked, suggestions would be some kind of android tablet app. However, I need to pay e1000 insurance before FAS will deal with me :rolleyes:

So, I have to pay e1000 before I can give up my own time to train someone? If I just happen to train up one of my unemployed mates on the sly I would be breaking the law (dole recipients are required to be available for work, instead of secretly training)! People on WPP still have to sign on also I believe.

Yes, I understand why insurance is required (software engineering is a dangerous job), but this is just an example of the red-tape bull**** that makes a mockery of the so-called "smart economy". Not to mention the ripoff insurance prices around... This WPP is basically useless for small startups that would actually provide real experience, and will only be used by larger companies for exploitation.

Thanks swampgas, ye i would be getting a little bit of the experience i am looking for,not directly related but similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Thanks swampgas, ye i would be getting a little bit of the experience i am looking for,not directly related but similar.

Go for it then :)

Best of luck // Swampgas

• Advertisement

If you feel this will help you then go for it, however, I do advice careful thought on the subject. Remember, this will be for nine months (assuming you don't get a job within that time) and whilst that may not seem a long time, it will feel like it if you are working full time for 190 odd euro a week.

Just from reading your description of the situation, I would have hesitations about that job. If the role is a very busy one then that would imply the company is busy thus, able to pay someone to help. I'm not saying don't take the job, I'm simply suggesting you don't get yourself into a company who will be taking the p!ss.

Also, be very wary of promises like "we don't have any money now, but we might be able to pay you later". I once fell into that trap and ended up doing a not inconsiderable amount of work on a website for zippo.

Remember, in the working world no one is your friend so watch your back and tread with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'd definitely take it, but it's very important to remember that you don't owe them anything. If you think you're being exploited and not getting anything useful in return, leave. There's nothing holding you there (just make sure to tell Fás the reasons for leaving).

My workplace gave me whatever time I needed to go and sign on and collect my payments. However, if you talk to Fás and the DSFA, you can arrange it so you don't have to sign on and your payments will go directly to your bank account. Your workplace should give you whatever time off you need for this, it is a necessary part of taking someone on under the WPP. Remember that the worst the employer can do to you is... nothing :). They can tell you not to come into work, but they're unlikely to give up a free employee without some very good cause

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Naasty

Im on SW over a year since I lost my job in the bar I was working in since I was fifteen.
    Im under 21 so if I was to get onto the wpp and work a full 40 hour week what would I be entitled to?
    You see im hoping to go to college in september to do a PLC course but im afraid doing this wpp would rule out getting a grant for college? Im confused how this works,Thanks.

ye thats true, i can always leave it if its not working out. what annoys and frustrates me the most is, out of 10 jobs ive applied for, 2 were work placements, the 2 work placements got in contact with me within a few days, ive had no word back from any of the jobs that pay salaries at all, and they are at the same level as the work placements. some of my friends think im crazy to even consider doing this work placement ting, kinda in 2 minds now!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ye thats true, i can always leave it if its not working out. what annoys and frustrates me the most is, out of 10 jobs ive applied for, 2 were work placements, the 2 work placements got in contact with me within a few days, ive had no word back from any of the jobs that pay salaries at all, and they are at the same level as the work placements. some of my friends think im crazy to even consider doing this work placement ting, kinda in 2 minds now!!:rolleyes:
    Don't forget that you can continue to apply for jobs while you're on the placement. I seem to remember something from Fas saying that you're entitled to take time off for interviews, but you'd have to check that with them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Don't forget that you can continue to apply for jobs while you're on the placement. I seem to remember something from Fas saying that you're entitled to take time off for interviews, but you'd have to check that with them

to be honest, fas didnt give me too much info on how it works, ie dole payments etc, but that would be good if i was allowed get days off for interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Hi, i was just reading all the posts on this so far. I had an interview last week for a work placement programme, three people interviewed mw, it was tough goin, flying the questions at me, the way i took it was that i need to take to the job within a few days, very busy role, the impression i got from them was that ill be working my ass off everyday for nothing. they rang me yesterday to offer me the role, im am unsure now about taking it, how does the social welware payments work, like how do you collect the payment when your in work doin the placement?

You can get them to pay it directly into your bank account, thats what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    You can get them to pay it directly into your bank account, thats what I do.

I'm on at placement at the moment and had to move for it, so i had to change my welfare payments from one area to another. The new place hadnt a clue what the whole placement was and told me I had to collect from the post office and that they didnt put money into bank accounts, when I asked them how will i collect because i'll be working they were baffled but told me they'd change my collection to saturday...i've after moving away for this placement I want to go home at the weekend.

Eventually they agreed to put it in my bank and took my bank details. I got my acceptance letter today telling me I had to collect my money from the post office on tuesdays??? I'm obviously gonna give them a ring about it but have a feeling i'll get nowhere, they really didnt get the situation at all and couldnt understand how i couldnt collect it from the post office in the middle of the day.

Noo wrote: »
    I'm on at placement at the moment and had to move for it, so i had to change my welfare payments from one area to another. The new place hadnt a clue what the whole placement was and told me I had to collect from the post office and that they didnt put money into bank accounts, when I asked them how will i collect because i'll be working they were baffled but told me they'd change my collection to saturday...i've after moving away for this placement I want to go home at the weekend.

Eventually they agreed to put it in my bank and took my bank details. I got my acceptance letter today telling me I had to collect my money from the post office on tuesdays??? I'm obviously gonna give them a ring about it but have a feeling i'll get nowhere, they really didnt get the situation at all and couldnt understand how i couldnt collect it from the post office in the middle of the day.

thats an awfull mess up, im due to start my placement in the bext few weeks, it doesnt sound good. im getting the same feedback myself about my payments, i asked in the social and they said sort it with the new employer for time off, the work placement employer said it be paid to bank account, ive a feeling ill be in the same boat as you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

thats an awfull mess up, im due to start my placement in the bext few weeks, it doesnt sound good. im getting the same feedback myself about my payments, i asked in the social and they said sort it with the new employer for time off, the work placement employer said it be paid to bank account, ive a feeling ill be in the same boat as you!!!

Oh please let me update you on my situation as of today. I went to the post office and collected my money (i got time off work obviously) and the amount was the same as before (I was only €40 a week living at home with my parents) so I went around to the social welfare to ask about it. They said they are still processing my new application so they gave me what i had before so i'm not getting nothing until they sort it out...fair enough. I was then told that I wont be getting anymore because you are not suppose to benefit from being on the fas placement and my payment will be the same as when i was living at home.
    As for rent supplement, the CWO basically told me to f*** off and not to bother applying because i wont get it.

I DO NOT live at home with my parents anymore!!
    Income: €40 a week
    Rent: €55 a week
    Food: €20-30 a week
    Any other little expense that might pop up: €??
    Bus fare home at weekend to see friends and family (i dont know anyone where i'm now living and now cant afford to join any clubs/groups in the area): €20

Doesnt take a genius to work out the maths

If they decide to keep my payment at what it was when I lived at home surely they can re-means test me. My parents have a lot lower income than when I first got means tested and now they have the extra expense of my rent.

Advertisement