Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Manners & Chivalry - Are They Dead?

Options
  • 13-03-2010 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

In town (Dublin, is there another one :p) this morning and as we came out of a dining establishment (Kingfisher) a woman* was just behind us so still chatting to who I was with, I was facing forward but my hand was still behind me holding the door.

I always do that out of instinct (for guys, couples, teenhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=64895901s, small woodland creatures etc etc) and so was just waiting for the doors weight to be taken as she pressed her against it in turn (as most people do).

She didn't, she just sauntered through like she the stuck up cow that she was thinking the world revolved around her. No bags, no shopping, not on the phone, not lost in thought .. no excuses .. SHE just didn't want it done and you could tell.

So I said: "Eh Hello .. (she looked back) .. eh I don't work here", to which she replied: "I never asked you to hold to hold it open".

I just smiled and said: "Merry Christmas.. " and off she went on her merry way.

So, is Chivalry Dead?

Or was she just plain rude? (both sexes can be guilty of that)

Is Chivalry no longer a virtue?

Do women have an issue with guys being chivalrous?

Does it not have a place in today's sexual equality, has the female sexual revolution killed it?

Have radical feminists actually done woman a disfavour?

Good Manners

Do you think are dying?

Are men ruder than women?

Younger people getting ruder than older generations?

Ladies

Do you like it when a man stands up when you enter a room? Offers you their seat on the Luas? (etc etc)

Do chivalrous deeds make you feel uneasy? Are they indeed, sexist?

Guys

Are you confused these days about women actually want from you?

Did you used to be chivalrous but have now stopped because of reactions you have received?

Or do you just do what I do, be a gent and accept that there will always be the odd b****.

I'd like to dedicate this next track to the Kingfisher woman* with the tightly clenched rosebud :)

Is Chivalry dead? (Multple Choices Allowed) 88 votes

Yes, unfortunately and women killed it.
    0%
    Yes and it's Men who are to blame.
    22%
    SpearthebmanTiggerOutlawPeteM5Hogzyhitlersson666Sea SharpEl SigloSlickRicFlecktarn[Deleted User]Nodinliahmilly4everMinstrel27TomebagelScrambled eggGlico ManJay Walker 20 votes
    No, I just ignore the Feminists and be a Gent when I can.
    3%
    taibhseJuliusCaesarbanshee_bones 3 votes
    No, I like Chivalrous Men and always did and always will.
    45%
    entropiKintarō Hattorithe_sycoAsokCheeky monkeybad2dabonekawaiiKnifeWRENCHphill106Genghiz CohenGalvaseanDozen Wicked WordsM5SelothminidazzlermthdBigginsBigBenRoethAfterDuskK4t 40 votes
    I find women to be very Rude in general tbh, far worse than men.
    13%
    NevynBarbieliveshereDudessyurmothrintitesbronteAbiK4t1071823928ColaBeDamnedmiss5gagiteebored herring 12 votes
    Nonsense, I find that men today are arrogant bastards.
    12%
    Ruu_Oldanimaalbad2dabonethebmanOutlawPeteMrmoeUrbanSeaGlico Man1071823928AgricolaCheap Thrills! 11 votes
    Facekicker has the right idea.
    2%
    alwaysadubBolag_the_2nd 2 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Well the woman that WAS rude to you obviously didn't recognise good manners when it was presented to her. Her loss.

I'm old fashoned in some ways and in such thing like that, I'd do similar as yourself Outlawpete.
    Fair play for keeping it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

She's just an ignorant cnut tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

TBH she sounds like an unappreciative cúnt. Next time before holding a door look back and slightly smile at the person heading towards the door behind you and then hold it. They'll pick up pace to exit and say thank you.

If they breeze past without even a nod of appreciation then shout up you're welcome. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of getting in to a bad mood over it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I hate when you open the door for someone and they walk by you as if your just not there.
    Makes you angry as to why you bothered in the first place,especially if your waiting to a few seconds so the person can get to the door as they may be a few feet away.
    Makes me want to invent a time machine and smash the door in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I hate when you hold the door open and then realise that the next person coming toward the door is just that little bit too far away and you're stuck there for that extra second looking like a tit.

But ye as a wise man once said

"if chivalry is dead, women killed it"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dcmu

Seriously, you're getting p!ssed off because someone walked through a door you held open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

I always end up holding the door to places open. People in general are just arseholes. It has nothing to do with chivalry.

dcmu wrote: »
    Seriously, you're getting p!ssed off because someone walked through a door you held open?
    She never said thank you.

bazmaiden wrote: »
    I hate when you hold the door open and then realise that the next person coming toward the door is just that little bit too far away and you're stuck there for that extra second looking like a tit.

But ye as a wise man once said

"if chivalry is dead, feminist nazis killed it"

FYP :)

The ladies appreciate the fuss of holding doors, giving up seats, giving them your jacket so their hair doesn't get messy and you get drowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Yer wan was a rude bish to be honest.
    I don't think chivalry is dead at all.
    I do like someone going to the trouble of holding a door or being wrapped in a coat at the end of the night. It just shows you care really.
    I always hold doors for folk myself and 90% of the time it's appreciated.
    I've noticed male friends of mine are sometimes afraid to offer to do something, almost as if they're anticipating I'll bite the head off them .
    If someone loses the rag with you for having the audacity to hold a door for them, it pretty much tells you everything you need to know about that person. Consider it an idiot filter!

It's nice to be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

dcmu wrote: »

First of all, didn't get pissed off, just had a lovely meal and in the best of form.

Secondly, my issue is with her not ACKNOWLEDGING that I held the door for her with a quiet 'thanks', 'cheers'.

If someone holds a door for me I ALWAYS say thanks.

The only time I wouldn't is if someone holds a door for me when I am twenty feet away and makes me jog a little :p

But even then I do say thanks also, they just don't get a french kiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I gave up on Chivalry after it got me in trouble.
    Since when was it wrong to open a door for a lady?
    Well, it seems the cut off point is when the car is travelling at 80 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Today I noticed a fine young mother with her new born leaving a cafe. I immediately stood to attention and held the door with a courteous smile and we both engaged in pleasantries for a moment giving each other the feel good factor.

bronte wrote: »

It's nice to be nice.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Yer wan was a rude bish to be honest.
    I don't think chivalry is dead at all.
    I do like someone going to the trouble of holding a door or being wrapped in a coat at the end of the night. It just shows you care really.
    I always hold doors for folk myself and 90% of the time it's appreciated.
    I've noticed male friends of mine are sometimes afraid to offer to do something, almost as if they're anticipating I'll bite the head off them .
    If someone loses the rag with you for having the audacity to hold a door for them, it pretty much tells you everything you need to know about that person. Consider it an idiot filter!

It's nice to be nice.

+1

And well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Abitar wrote: »
    +1

And well said.

Let's get married! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

"Woman walked through a door I was holding open" , boo hoo I must rush home and put up a thread and poll on boards , jeez man take a moment and realise the world is full of people who will take advantage

Edit :I don't care I am having a bad enough day

lonad wrote: »
    "Woman walked through a door I was holding open" , boo hoo I must rush home and put up a thread and poll on boards , jeez man take a moment and realise the world is full of people who will take advantage
    No. Just, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Chivalry died out in the 1400s.

Bonito wrote: »
    No. Just, no.

See above ^^^^^^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Ohh you :o

Lets to it! :pac:
    "Woman walked through a door I was holding open" , boo hoo I must rush home and put up a thread and poll on boards , jeez man take a moment and realise the world is full of people who will take advantage Edit :I don't care I am having a bad enough day

Take it out on the internet then, why don't you?

Ohh you :o

Lets to it! :pac:

Take it out on the internet then, why don't you?

Good point I need a walk

Good point I need a walk

You spelt **** wrong

bazmaiden wrote: »
    You spelt **** wrong

Definately a walk

If you notice in the thread it said: "This morning", so nobody rushed anywhere.

Also, people start threads about things that occur in their lives, makes AH the great place that it is, just like yesterday's cool "Opposite Bike Guy" thread.

Why is your day so bad?

Who knows, maybe it'll make a good thread ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

+1

And well said.

We luv each other yet again!
    More huggies please! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

No, I just ignore the Feminists and be a Gent when I can.
    I appreciate such gestures, i think you just happened to be unlucky and got a stupid selfish wench.

keep up the good work, maybe it will catch on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Facekicker has the right idea.
    I've no problem with someone holding a door open for me,as i do it for people too and think it's just good manners.
    If someone got up though and offered me their seat i'd probably be offended as a) im not old(well not very) and b) i'm not pregnant nor do i look pregnant(i hope!)

Biggins wrote: »

Tongues ftw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Biggins wrote: »
    We luv each other yet again!

Whatever you're into:rolleyes:

Advertisement