Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl GPS/HRM - €150

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100318.p.GPS_Watch_with_Heart_Rate_Monitor

Don't know anything about this product, but seems to have all the key components, puts it in the 305 price range for a slimmer unit.

Interesting to see what people think of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's 83.5 grams (305 is 84 grams) so they're pretty much identical weight. If I was going to buy a Garmin 305 now, I wouldn't pay anything like €150. You can walk into Walmart in the US and buy it for €112 (or Amazon.com +shipping), or buy one on eBay(US) and get it shipped to Ireland for €138 including postage.

It's also a hefty price for a China-manufactured 'works-the-same'. I used to get SPAM ads for these for around $80-$100. I dunno why anyone would fork out €150 for an untried and un-reviewed product, when there is a well-known well reviewed and well-supported alternative available. First thing you should always do is Google for a review... Or a website. Or a support forum..

Having said that, the GPS chipset is pretty good (same as the 305 I believe), battery life is the same, etc. Just don't expect it to work with Garmin connect, Sportstracks, etc.

This thread is practically Krusty-baiting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

This thread is practically Krusty-baiting. :)

Are you sure you're not the CEO of Garmin ;)

It sure does come across like that sometimes, or that I'm Hal Higdon's love child, Pfitzinger's and Douglas' guilty secret, or a shill for Sports in Science. Really I'm just an over-opinionated, ram-it-down your throat fan-boy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fornjot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Looks even uglier than a 305 (and I love my 305).

As other people have said, I can't see why anybody would buy this in preference to a 305, especially when the Garmin can be had for less, you can get accessories and probably get better support and warranty.

Just from a balance perspective, the Globalsat devices linked above:
    1) Is the same device as the LIDL offering
    2) Is supported by sportstracks (if you update to the latest firmware)
    3) Shares the same GPS chipset as the Garmin units (SiRF Star III)
    4) Export workouts as gpx, so could probably be manipulated using the same tools as a Garmin watch
    5) Is rated to the same level of water-proofedness (IPX7)
    6) Have pretty regular firmware updates (though this could point to problems with the initial release)
    7) Can be used as a GPS receiver (a plus point over the Garmins!)
    8) Comes with a bike mount (Another plus point!)

Here's a review of the unit: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109131
    Question still remains though, unless you can pick it up for dirt cheap, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Question still remains though, unless you can pick it up for dirt cheap, why?
    Wait until Sept when it starts getting dark again and visit adverts.ie and get one for €50 ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Wait until Sept when it starts getting dark again and visit adverts.ie and get one for €50 ;)
    and some really cheap Nike gear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brucey2020

Hi, I myself have been looking out for a watch like this. I recently have got into running, so it would be a great way for me to track my runs, and times etc.

I went ahead and purchased it this morning. Just sussing it out. Seems ok for now:-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

brucey2020 wrote: »
    Hi, I myself have been looking out for a watch like this. I recently have got into running, so it would be a great way for me to track my runs, and times etc.

I went ahead and purchased it this morning. Just sussing it out. Seems ok for now:-p

Hey Brucey2020,
    Any feedback for this? It is big & bulky? Is the compass constantly on or can you turn it off etc?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

The LIDL crivit GPS Watch / HRM is back again and this time its €10 cheaper.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100809.p.GPS_Watch_with_Heart_Rate_Monitor

Anyone buy the one last time? What do you make of it?

Thanks.

Can someone please explain to me why they would consider buying this device?
    Forerunner 305: eBay (US): €137 delivered to your door. Possible VAT hit would bring it up to €165. Even if you get stung for VAT it represents significantly better value for money, given that it is a tried and tested product, from a company with an excellent reputation for after-sales service/repair.

Don't get me wrong; yesterday I bought a vegetable slicer and a kitchen radio from LIDL. I would even consider buying their bicycle, if I didn't have a decent one already. But forking out €140 for a GPS watch when their are well-known alternatives for the same price confuses me greatly.

<Again, I reiterate, I have nothing to do with Garmin, and have never been given any incentives or renummeration>.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

?
    Forerunner 305: eBay (US): €137 delivered to your door. Possible VAT hit would bring it up to €165. .

Hopefully i can use my linguistic skills to convince the parents to get this as a graduation present.

Likelyhood of that happening: 0.

Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Don't get me wrong; yesterday I bought a vegetable slicer and a kitchen radio from LIDL. I would even consider buying their bicycle, if I didn't have a decent one already. But forking out €140 for a GPS watch when their are well-known alternatives for the same price confuses me greatly.

I think some lads bought it and used it to measure the Addidas 5 course.

No but seriously, I bought the crivit HRM recently and have failed to get the HRM to work yet...I only bought it as it was €20 and so I could wear it in the pool to see what my HR was like while swimming. I wouldn't be performing a similar experiment with €140. The crivit watch has proved to survive in the pool so far even though the water proof rating should not be good enough....it'll probably pack in any day now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

Lidl are having a warehouse sale at their unit in Mullingar and are selling the Crivit GPS watch Saturday 27th August for 79.99 euro. They've slashed the price on it from 140 euro.
    Can anyone tell me if its worth getting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

HTCJoeSoap wrote: »
    Lidl are having a warehouse sale at their unit in Mullingar and are selling the Crivit GPS watch Saturday 27th August for 79.99 euro. They've slashed the price on it from 140 euro.

The Garmin 305, is currently stg91 on Amazon which is €104.

I would not be spending 80 quid on a cheap brand when the 305 is only €104.

+1. Spend the extra on a Garmin 305.

HTCJoeSoap wrote: »

it will have nowhere near the functionality of the 305. the 305 is proven. buy it instead.

Advertisement