Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Crow... Remake/Reboot?!

• 17-03-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Another remake :( So what's the general consensus on this one? The first one was a great movie, dark and gothic, and full of angst. The subsequent sequels thankfully didnt cause much of a stir here.
    But i would think this will have a pretty big release if/whenever it reaches our shores.

I don't see what they can add to the original to be honest, except a glossy 3D sheen.

Anyway here is the link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1340094/
    Stephen Norrington (Blade, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) is at the helm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

You can't let the sequels off that lightly, they were some of the worst films ever made and should rate down with Battlefield Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

Haha, I agree, and to be honest the sequels are the reason this thread exists. Is it just flogging the **** out of a dead horse at this stage, or can they do anything to resurrect the franchise? Or will this end up being a straight to DVD release, and disappear into the archives of time?

To be honest I can only see a remake working after the sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The original is alright, its nothing spectacular but its different, lets be honest if it wasnt for Brandon Lee's death it wouldnt have been as successful as it was, especially to mopey angsty teens. I watched it again recently and the scene where he's playing guitar on the roof is hilarious, its like something from a bad rock music video.

did really like Dark City though, Alex Proyas is a good director, pity he doesnt do more movies, I havent seen Knowing yet though and dont really want to from what I;ve heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I hate remakes. Especially remakes of great movies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Depends allot on casting IMO,

I wouldn't mind seeing it remade as long as it doesn't come out warm and fuzzy or worse like a my chemical romance video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

krudler wrote: »
    The original is alright, its nothing spectacular but its different, lets be honest if it wasnt for Brandon Lee's death it wouldnt have been as successful as it was, especially to mopey angsty teens. I watched it again recently and the scene where he's playing guitar on the roof is hilarious, its like something from a bad rock music video.

did really like Dark City though, Alex Proyas is a good director, pity he doesnt do more movies, I havent seen Knowing yet though and dont really want to from what I;ve heard
    I disagree, you have to remember, this is before the scene kid bull**** that emerged in the late 90's, early 00's. Like Donnie darko, it's an epic movie, but it's got a typical over exaggerated following, and, had lee lived would have established him as a heavyweight in Hollywood.

Like the Karate kid, IT SHOULD NOT BE REMADE!

And I swear to ****, if they try to remake the Back to the Future trilogy (and believe me, I can see it happening), there's going to be hell to pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

krudler wrote: »

This.

Hadn't watched it in years and gave it a viewing recently and found the whole movie pretty laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

We watched it for the 1st time in years not too long ago and actually thought it was pretty good. Very 90's style and tone here.

Plus we couldn't escape the inevitable "He'd remind ya of The Joker from The Dark Knight, wouldn't he?" comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Duggy747 wrote: »
    We watched it for the 1st time in years not too long ago and actually thought it was pretty good. Very 90's style and tone here.

Plus we couldn't escape the inevitable "He'd remind ya of The Joker from The Dark Knight, wouldn't he?" comment.
    And Lee would be a perfect joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Watched this recently again, love this film.
    Very dark, compared to the other comic book movies at the time. Ya there are a few cheesy scenes looking back (is the gutiar even plugged in when he is playing it on the roof? I don't care, I still thought it was an excellent tune!)

Whether his death garnered interest or not doesn't matter, still a classic 90's film that I will watch again sooner or later.

Remake definitely sounds dodgy, I can't see them doing justice to the original.

Only heard of The Crow: Wicked Prayer lately. Saw that Ed Furlong, Tara Reid and David Boreanz (Angel) was in it. Couldn't believe I didn't hear about it sooner....til I read the reviews! Anyone see it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Only heard of The Crow: Wicked Prayer lately. Saw that Ed Furlong, Tara Reid and David Boreanz (Angel) was in it. Couldn't believe I didn't hear about it sooner....til I read the reviews! Anyone see it?

I had this one in mind when I suggested earlier that the sequels were some of the worst films ever made and this one would probably be the worst.

I just found the whole thing very bad to the point of being embarassing, and I'm a fan of B movie sequels like, Critters and Tremors. Take a low budget B movie sequel I feel the "good" ones are made on the bases of we know what you like, we like making them and know how to do it, so here's another one we had fun making, rarely greats but often good easy watching comfort zone stuff. With The Crow: Wicked Prayer I get the strong impression the film was made by people that didn't know what anyone likes, only made it for the money, were copying a genre they didn't understand and didn't know how to make a film but made it anyway.

Edit> But back to the OP's question, given the info in imdb so far I think it could be a good film in its own right but not when compared with the original. The original had an "atmosphere" which if you buy into it allows the cheessy bits to pass (almost) unnoticed because of the way it envelopes you, a bit like a good book. Stephen Norringtons previous work has all been technically well made and I use the word technically quite specifically as I wonder if that is his speciality, so will the best thing that can be said about The Crow 2011 is that its technically OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Sure won't all the Emo's be mad about it! I can predict the entire soundtrack already.

I'm actually looking forward to this simply because it has the potential to be something great. The Crow is an excellent film and of the sequels only the second one is worth a watch, shame though that well never see Pope's cut which is supposed to be very good. The plan for this is to go back to the gritty feel of O'Barr's work and attempt to bring the grime and sleaze to the screen with a low budget. As long as they don't tailor it to an emo audience then it could be rather good.

Advertisement