Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PW Forums Greatest Matches of All-Time

• 23-03-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

So with the Draft nearing its conclusion i had an idea a while ago in the post draft activity thread about this possible game..

So basically everyone can nominate their all time favourite Match. From any promotion, Era etc etc with the only stipulation's being.. we can only nominate one match each and the match must have a youtube or dailymotion link or else it's basically pointless nominating it.

The way it will go down is there will be three voting rounds
    ROUND 1: Is just the the match itself
    And vote purely on how much you enjoyed it

ROUND 2: Reason for you nominating it
    why was it so good? how good was the fued? did it draw? what else spawned from the fued? all that kind of thing

ROUND 3: The overall fued and build up, and the general reason why it was such a great match.

What were the other matches in the fued like? Did it headline big PPVs or did it steal the show? was it a big blow off to a massive fued?

FINAL ROUND : Is the final write up on the match winners
    In each Round there will be a poll to see which matches go through to the next round, and the Final round will have the matches and all the write up's compiled together, Simple as that then .. What do ya'll reckon? Yay or nah? This isnt really set in stone so if there's anyway to improve this dont be afraid to say...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

There have been better technical wrestling matches but...
    The Undertaker vs Mankind - Hell in a Cell - King of the ring 1998

sorry none of the links seem to have part three so we have to skip a bit ahead to after WTF it's Momma Foley's baby boy and hes coming back for more moment

Good god almighty, they've killed him!... as god is my witness he is broken in half...we need doctors out here can someone in the back get off their buts and get out here...The Undertaker is still on top of the Cell, the Lord of Darkness.... o yeah they know how to fall, give me a break...i dont know if a tooth went true his lip...His left arm is dangling...the undertaker is like an animal, a mad man, a man possesed...Undertaker and mankiond are in hell, tonight hell is in pittsburg, in this match...it seems like now mankind is enjoying himself...tumbtacks! tumbtacks! my god this is off the page...ive never ever seen anything like this...dont tell me, no! no!...good god allmight he is a human pin-cushion...O what a sadustic thing, the chokeslam on the tacks...Tombstone! tombstone, 123...well ill tell you what folks, in 25 years i have never seen anything that even closely resembles what we have just witnessed, this was the most unbelieveable...these two men gave you everthing they had in their bodies they gave you theri souls her tonight...and these fans are standing and cheering for the effort and desire in what they have just seen...

-JR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The build up was great. Samoa Joe was undefeated. Daniels was trying to prove he still was great. AJ was out there to try and win a 5th title.

This match is widely regarded as the best match in TNA history.

Showed why TNA had the most excited product at the time. How they have fallen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue 06/09/1995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

chordtype wrote: »
    Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue 06/09/1995

+1 times a billion. The greatest pro wrestling match of all time. It is as close to perfection as wrestling has ever come. Ticks all the boxes for a great match, a feud a decade in the making reaches boiling point, 40 minutes of sensational in ring action that still holds up 15 years later, unbelievable psychology and selling throughout, a hot crowd, brilliant storytelling and a finish that brings the feud between Kawada and Misawa to the next level. I love it dearly, I've watched it dozens of times and every time I find a new little reason to love it all the more. If it wasn't for this match, this feud and these brilliant wrestlers I'd have given up on wrestling years ago. It means so much to me its hard to put in words to be honest.

Everyone needs to watch this match, if they do they'll agree it has to win this award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,852 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Shawn Michaels v Triple H: Summerslam 2002

HBK's comeback match.

it's ludicrous how good he was.

epic, epic match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

flahavaj wrote: »
    +1 times a billion. The greatest pro wrestling match of all time. It is as close to perfection as wrestling has ever come. Ticks all the boxes for a great match, a feud a decade in the making reaches boiling point, 40 minutes of sensational in ring action that still holds up 15 years later, unbelievable psychology and selling throughout, a hot crowd, brilliant storytelling and a finish that brings the feud between Kawada and Misawa to the next level. i love it dearly, i've watched it dozens of times and every time I find a new little reason to love it all the more. If it wasn't for this match, this feud and these brilliant wrestlers I'd have given up on wrestling years ago. it means so much to me its hard to put in words to be honest.

Everyone needs to watch this match, if they do they'll agree it has to win this award.

Is that the one that happened when your man came back from Cancer. Watched that one and was so bored. I would advise everybody to avoid a Puro match that lasts anything longer than one and a half youtube windows

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Is that the one that happened when your man came back from Cancer. Watched that one and was so bored. I would advise everybody to avoid a Puro match that lasts anything longer than one and a half youtube windows

No that was in the last couple of years. All four were at the end of their careers at that stage. This is from 1995 when they were at their peak. Sadly, most will probably agree with your opinion unfortunately.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sadly? Sadly for those who agree Id say. Their loss though.

No that was in the last couple of years. All four were at the end of their careers at that stage. This is from 1995 when they were at their peak. Sadly, most will probably agree with your opinion unfortunately.:(

Some people like Puro and there are others like me who like wrestling best when it's put into a 3 and a half minute montage to Creed or Limp Bizkit and a Puro My Sacrifice video would be awful

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Sadly? Sadly for those who agree Id say. Their loss though.

Sadly for Misawa et al who don't get the kudos they deserve on this board unless draft picks are at stake.:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sadly for Misawa et al who don't get the kudos they deserve on this board unless draft picks are at stake.:(

:)

;)

:cool:

:pac:

Sure what do you expect like. Puro's dead in Japan ATM as well

Sure what do you expect like. Puro's dead in Japan ATM as well

If you were really being true to your normal gimmick youd be siding with the minority here and saying how great Puro is.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Ultimate Warrior challenges Hulk Hogan for the title at Wrestlemania VI

If you were really being true to your normal gimmick youd be siding with the minority here and saying how great Puro is.:pac:

That's because that's the most effective trolling technique aside from posting pictures of cocks.

That's because that's the most effective trolling technique aside from posting pictures of cocks.

black-cock-poster.jpg

Anyway back to this topic, can you explain a bit more about where this goes from here? What happens after people have posted a load of suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Anyway back to this topic, can you explain a bit more about where this goes from here? What happens after people have posted a load of suggestions?

The cut off point for this will be 30-35 to give everybody a chance to nominate failing that ill give it a week, then set up the Round 1 thread which will have a poll for the matches and general discussion and or trolling from Bubs:pac: then then it'll go down to 20 then the top 10 then the final 5 winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I loved this match and still do. Its professional wrestling at its most glorious, the two greatest giving us a cracker to round of the greatest Mania ever. :)
    Wrestling can be amazing can't it?

This would eb it for me as well. Not technically the greatest match ever, but it is possibly from the greatest feud in Wrestling history. The built was arguably 2-3 years in the making, the intensity was off the charts, the atmosphere of the match was unreal, and had a nice little twist at the end as well.

I would also second the Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue match. Tag team perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I'm goin to say Undertaker - Shawn Michaels last year. Unbelieveable athmopshere, two legends of the highest order putting on a legendary match. There isn't much more you can ask for. It had it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I was torn between this and The Undertaker match. Two absolute classics, easily in the top 5 WM matches of all time, if not the top two themselves! They both had excellent build ups with an incredible match to top it off. What more could any wrestling fan want!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The BBC once did something called The Big Read where they made a list of 200 books that everyone should read.

I was thinking the forum should do a wrestling version with 200 matches everyone should watch.

Maybe this thread could help in that regard?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

The BBC once did something called The Big Read where they made a list of 200 books that everyone should read.

I was thinking the forum should do a wrestling version with 200 matches everyone should watch.

This would be good.

Yeah absolutely thats a brilliant idea, maybe when everyone nominates the matches I'll just complile them into one larger thread instead and then maybe at the end we can vote what our favourite matches were or something like that, tbh i was hoping the thread would be a way for us all to watch some great matches we hadnt seen before and i hope its done that..

Are we limited to one suggestion each walter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I love this match:

The Skipper cage walk is still one of the most frighteningly awesome things I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

Are we limited to one suggestion each walter?

Stick as many as you like in here now flah, before it was just a guildline to stop people going apesh*t but if its something like MNG suggested, then we'll just have a cut off point of the amount of matches, maybe 100?

Advertisement