Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QBOX HD Mini COMBO LINUX BOX - 199 EURO

Options
  • 01-04-2010 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

The Combo box that if it lives up to its spec will blow all other boxes off the market. Dont think its on the market until late May.

Based on the same chip set ( STi 7101) as its big brother

109578.jpg

Twin Tuner (DVB-S2 / DVB-T) Plug N Play
    LINUX - Enigma 2 ! That means 7 day epg for Sat.

3 USB Ports

Diablo embedded

LAN
    WiFi Connection (optional)

Plays Media files

2 Cardreader
    2" TFT Display

199 EURO

qboxhdmini1.jpg

qboxhdmini2.jpg

qboxhdmini4.jpg

qboxhdmini5.jpg

qboxhdmini3.jpg

Full Spec

266 MHz ST40 CPU SH4 Core. STi 7101 based.
    Linux Operating System (ENIGMA 2)
    Linux DVB-API compatible.
    2,2” TFT high definition Display
    WiFi - 802.11n. Stand-Alone internal Module (optional)
    Ethernet 10/100 MBit compatible interface
    MPEG-2 / H.264 Hardware decoding
    Tuner: DVB-S2, DVB-C, DVB-T
    2 x Tuner Module Input - Plug&Play 1 SAT + 1 DVB-T (DVB-T optional)
    2 x Smartcard-Reader ISO 7816-3 with programmable clock speed
    V.24/RS232 Interface
    10/100Mbit Ethernet Interface
    1 x Scart (RGB, FBAS or S-Video)
    HDMI Output
    2 x USB 2.0 external USB
    1 x USB 2.0 internal for FileSystem
    S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)
    8 MByte NOR for Secure Bootloader, 128 MByte RAM
    unlimited channel lists for TV/Radio
    EPG (electronic program guide)
    multiple LNB-Switching control (supports DiSEqC)
    OSD in many languages and skin-support
    Videotext Decoder
    DVB-S2 Tuner:
    Frequency Range 950 .... 2150 MHz
    Demodulation DVB-S (QPSK); DVB-S2 (8PSK,QPSK)
    Symbol rate DVB-S: 2 ... 45 Mbaud/s, SCPC/ MCPC
    DVB-S2: 10 – 31 Mbaud/s (8PSK) , 10 –30 Mbaud/s (QPSK)
    Video decoder:
    Video Compression MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 compatible, H.246
    Video Formats 4:3 / 16:9
    Letterbox for 4:3 TV-Device
    Capable Resolution: (1080I, 720P, 480P/576P, 480I/576I)
    Audio decoder:
    Audio Compression MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Layer I and II, MP3
    Audio Mode Dual (main/sub), Stereo
    Frequency: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz
    Video parameter:
    Input Level FBAS 1 Vss +/- 0.3 dB on 75 Ohm
    Teletext filter in conformity with ETS 300 472 Standard
    Output: FBAS, RGB, S-Video, HDMI
    Serial Interface RS 232:
    RS232 bidirectional
    BitRate 115,2 kBit/s max.
    Plug Connector SUB-D-9
    USB
    2 x USB 2.0 Host
    1 x USB 2.0 Host Internal Slot for USB stick to hold the Firmware.
    Count of active satellite positioniSEqC 1.0/1.2 SAT POSITION / SAT OPTION
    DiSEqC - Rotor Control
    Kanalwchsel unter 2 2 sec.
    Easy and fast GUI navigation
    compact size same performance
    Diablo Inside
    Grösse in cm. 26x19x5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Looks a great price. Note the DTT tuner is extra so will add between 20-40 to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

The Combo box that if it lives up to its spec will blow all other boxes off the market.

The problem was the Qbox HD never seemed to have lived up to its own hype. Those who bought them, especially those in the early beta, had loads of issues and slow progress in getting things resolved. Some issues still being resolved for example, 3-tuner support is not there yet. I read one post on a German forum where the poster said "Don't even think of getting one of these until you read lots of people saying that it actually works".. kinda says it all TBH.

But if you can get traction from an image team to support it and do native compiles and feature ports, it could indeed be great.

Going to keep an eye on this as this is the kind of thing that would do a bedroom TV and probably integrate with my DM8000 for shared access recordings. I've never really wanted to look at other receivers like the AZbox etc because of the different software.. having an Enigma2-based option makes it easier to sync channel lists and share recording folders etc.

BTW: The freesat support for Enigma2 is not native.. so at least that would have to be ported into a custom image or add-on for the the Duolabs factory image.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

Where will we be able to buy this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Looks like late June/early July for release.

One of the test boxes without the DVB-T tuner (ports masked over).

115199.jpg

115200.jpg

This is a review from the Satfreaks mod (some things may be lost in translation).

"On the back is missing or the on / off switch. All other respects
    already the later series.

Suitable for remote applications, the new flat with the silver Keys. In the picture, only a few key labels are not yet quite.
    The previous remote control of the Qbox HD works with my test box as well.

Now for the software ...
    At the moment there is a distinct image for deployment, but in Functionality and stability of the current image of the HD Qbox equivalent. I have the first set and the recent test runs no Restrictions on yourself.
    One of the next steps, the two images of the Qbox Qbox HD and HD Mini be merged, so that both receivers to cope with the same software.

The first thing I noticed is especially the new network interface.
    Which is really fast and works fast amazingly stable. A wireless solution will be retrofitted at a later date as well as the second tuner. Both upgrades are still missing in my test box.

has additional features in popular duolabs probably from the past learned and is not a new way. All upgrades to the HD Qbox be applied without any problems for the Mini. Thus, run:

- Skins
    - Picons
    - LCD picons
    - Addons
    - Games
    - Settings

The image quality was improved compared to the HD Qbox again a bit are what most notably the new tuner incl new tuner drivers is due. Cinema fans will delight in this box.

The radar team was already active and thus is a preview version the Emu Addons also already been used and works very neatly.

My first conclusion:
    I am somewhat surprised. After the somewhat bumpy start of the two
    Previous speakers had I not with such a complete current Pre-expected box. If duolabs the targeted price of 199, - € can hold, then the Mini HD Qbox could be the competitors well dangerous. The box takes advantage of its big sister, and presents thereby now really in a very mature state."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm looking forward to this STB, will await more reviews though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

"To appear, according Duolabs on 05/07/2010" - Source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

kerbdog wrote: »
    "To appear, according Duolabs on 05/07/2010" - Source
    Still a bit of a wait. Cheaper than boxes that do similar and better value too I'm sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I dont recall seeing the magic words MPEG-4 amongst those specs......

exaisle wrote: »
    I dont recall seeing the magic words MPEG-4 amongst those specs......

Well its in the spec exaisle. 7 lines down under the full spec in the first post.

"H264". Which is also known as MPEG4 part 10. Its a video standard.

DVB-S2 tuners would also most certainly depend on it that chip being present!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

As STB says, the main reason all HD combo boxes are MPEG4 compliant has more to do with the satellite side of the combo than the terrestrial. Most if not all HD broadcasts are either DVB-S2/MPEG4 or DVB-S/MPEG4 (like BBC HD and ITV HD).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

does anyone know how long the boot up time is on this qbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Apogee

Duolabs are still faffing about with the firmware trying to get the dual tuners working - don't buy one until/if they fix the firmware first.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

when and where can i buy this combo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It seems that Cccam Support is only limited to being a Client and not a server.Serious drawback ,the box needs full CCCam support if its to be a real contender.

It seems that Cccam Support is only limited to being a Client and not a server.Serious drawback ,the box needs full CCCam support if its to be a real contender.

For what ? what does it need CC CAM server support for ? Card Sharding is NOT the first thing people think of when buying these, BTW.

The main advantages are already set out.

Latest on the Qbox mini

It now makes it way into the shops at the end of September (i'll believe it when I see it!)according to one or 2 beta testers and supply chains. Here is a 12 minute video from a beta tester showing the facilities it has.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=VQWHPG7T

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Card sharing is illegal.

These kind of Combo boxes are more non-Freesat / Hobbyist solutions unless they ever get Freesat approval and/or Saorview approval. Without that they will never guarantee continuing 7 day EPG support, interactive, auto-tuning, auto OTA firmware upgrades, all of which works on "Official" set-boxes.

Fine for Enthusiasts.

Will this box decode SKY? Can I pop my Sky card into it and pick up Sky Channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only a sky box reliably works with a Sky card. Anything else that works today may not work tomorrow. It also breaks your agreement with Sky to use the card (which they own) in any box they did not authorise.

Apogee wrote: »
    Duolabs are still faffing about with the firmware trying to get the dual tuners working - don't buy one until/if they fix the firmware first.

It seems they have sorted out the problems for the QBox HD in writing new firmware for that and the Q Box Mini HD.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/qbox-qbox-hd-digital-satellite-receiver-support-forum/181382-new-firmware.html

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »

Well it looks like the Mini is out 31st and in writing the firmware for the mini they have sorted the qbox hd firmware (you bought one of these ?). The new firmware and Stone filesystem was released yesterday below the blurb. source: http://www.qboxsvn.com/ (3 tuners supported -Enigma 2 DVB-S x 2 and dvb-t!)

Duolabs proudly presents “Stone Distribution Filesystem version 1.00 for QBoxHD”.
    Duolabs is thankful to all those who belived in us and patiently waited for this big software release. We have been working hard in the last 6 months to completely rewrite almost all the software for this box. The implementation of this new software has been started from the QBox Mini that will be on the market from next week.
    We dedicated most of our time in solving big problems with Player 2 (the main engine for playing) and finally we obtained a stable version working for QboxHD.
    We apologize to all those who have been disappointed for the leak of features and stability that were present on QBox Hd for the last year and that’s why we completely addandoned the support of Fire Distibution to develope this completely new distribution. We preferred not to release any beta version up to this moment just not to disattend any expectation until we have had the final approval from the Qbox Mini and then ported all to QboxHD.
    This version is dedicated to Duolabs’ fans who stuck with us through this bad times and to all those who opposed.
    Let’s talk about the new features now:
    PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THE NEW FEATURES AND HOW TO USE IT!!!
    Features:
    1. Stability Problem. Most of the stability problems have been successfully solved by using native hardware functions of the STB. In the previous version most of this functions were handled in software. USB Filesystem handling is now much more stable thanks to some fixes on USB drivers. Other low lever drivers have been completely rewritten for more stability. Larger memory for applications (8MB of RAM) now available.
    2. Channel Speed. The Channel speed now is less than 3 seconds per each channel while it was from 3 to 6 on previous version.
    3. HD Channels and SD bug fixed. HD & SD Channels on some transponders were looping the machine ending a crash if freezes occoured. This problem have been solved in the most critical HD channels. This is not related to scanning on some Thor channels (this needs to use the AVLink tuner and not Sharp). Unfortunately the Sharp tuner has some problems with some transponders and seems like Sharp cannot fix it releasing a firmware for it.
    AVLink Tuner has no problem unders this point of view.

4. 3x Tuner finally supported. Finally the “Magic Box” inside is dynamically mixing the Tuner input and output. Now user can finally install any tuner configuration (2xDVB-S2 + 1x DVB-T or DVB-C etc etc) zapping without any problem from Tuner 1 to Tuner 2 to Tuner 3 with no problem.
    HOW TO INSTALL NEW TUNER:
    Tuner 1 port: DVB-T or DVB-C or DVB-S2 Tuner (Sharp or Avlink)
    Tuner 2 port: DVB-T or DVB-C or DVB-S2 Tuner (Sharp or Avlink)
    Tuner 3 port: DVB-T or DVB-C NOT DVB-S2 Tuner
    Once the tuner/s are installed please do a “Factory Reset” – IMPORTANT!!!

5. PVR is now fully supported and stable. It is possible to record from Tuner x and watch/timeshft on Tuner y. Up to now it is possible to record from one tuner and watch on another tuner. We will enlarge this possibility next.
    Example. Watch on Tuner 1 (timeshift also) and record from Tuner 2 or Tuner 3.

6. NAS Server fully working. Now NAS Server is fully supported so it will be possible to use Network HDD or PC.
    7. Internal CSA descrambling. Now the box is using the native descrambler inside and not the FPGA descrambler. This is much faster and can support third parties software much easily.
    8. Multimedia Center. Multimedia Center completely changed with the following new features:
    8.1 MKV, AVI, XVID formats now fully supported.
    8.2 MP3 formats now fully supported.
    8.3 Picture Player fully supported – NOT LARGER THAN 2 MB
    8.4 MyTube (YouTube) fully supported no need for PC. Possibility of recording YouTube movies directly on the Harddrive
    8.5 IDEVS. This is the support for IPOD and coming next IPhone. This is an exclusive function that none (AFAIK) is supporting. By connecting your IPOD via USB you can browse the AUDIO and VIDEO contents on your IPOD and play it directly on your TV
    8.6 Internet Browser. Linx internet broser is supported using Mouse and Keyboard. This is a small and light Internet browser that will be developed more in the future. Up to now it is supporting simple web pages protocols.
    8.7 Other minor appz.

9. Receiver information screen added. Now you can get all the receiver information such as connected tuners, IP address, peripherias etc etc from a dedicated page. All the important informations you have to know about your box are now shown.
    This page is inside Infromation->Receiver Information menu. It is very important to have a look at this to have a shortcut to all the settings of the receiver like Tuner Status, IP Address, Keyboard, IPOD connection etc etc.

10. Menu structure is completely changed to make it more user friendly.
    11. HD Skin by default with automatic screen resize.
    12. HDMI and other video Output problems solved.
    13. Minor bugs are solved and general stability is improved uncomparably with the previous version especailly if freezes are coming from the streaming.
    WebInterface fully working, Teletext fully working etc etc

Known bugs:
    1. Minor bugs related to menus (like OSD languages not translated in full) and other small menu leaks.
    2. Motor scan on 4W is stopping. Work in progress.
    3. DVB-C scanning is now working just with pre-loaded settings.
    http://duolabs.redballon.us/qboxhd/qboxhd_update_SD_1.0.0.tbz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

STB wrote: »
    2. Channel Speed. The Channel speed now is less than 3 seconds per each channel while it was from 3 to 6 on previous version.

What's this, the amount of time it takes for channel to appear after switching to it?

That's pretty brutal if it is, worse than a digibox. Please don't tell me this is normal for receivers on the market right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

Hi, any news on the Qbox HD mini - is it released? If it is, has anyone purchased it and has it lived up to it's hype? :o

Okay they are out but not surprisingly the price has shot up. I am seeing prices of 237 at Devilcards in Germany without the dvb-t tuner.

Maybe Slegs/Tony can chase up resellers area if either are interested. I am sure you will at least get a sample product from cellular center.

The full brochure & spec sheet is now available.
    http://www.duolabs.com/datasheet/QBoxMini_Specs.pdf

Sales Pack (as follows)
    Sales Pack
    Sales pack includes:
    1x QBox mini:
    1x DVB-S2 tuner
    1x Optional DVB-T / DVB-S2 / DVB-C Tuners available
    1x Multifunctional Remote Control
    1x User guide
    1x HDMI quality cable
    1x Gift Box

Wi-Fi card is available as option not included in the standard sales configuration.
    Front Side
    qboxmini_front.png
    Rear Side
    qboxmini_back.png

What's the QBox mini?
    After the big success of the QBoxHD Duolabs is glad to introduce in the market the new QBox mini.

In response to consumer demand for higher-performing Set Top Boxes Linux Operating System based Duolabs has worked to develop the evolution of the successful QBox HD.

QBox High Definition is the latest frontier for HDTV Set-Top-Box, it is capable of delivering the features and high-end performance Multimedia Machine with many native peripherals such as USB connection, Ethernet connection via cable (10/100Mbit), multiple plug ‘n play tuner input, HDD support for PVR (Personal Video Recording) functions.

All the above technology and much more has combined with an exclusive colored box design and cap-sense technology integrated for front-panel functions together with a brilliant 2,0 inches TFT display.
    Diablo CAM with DuoCrypt CAS technology is embedded as module like the Q-Box One.

Multimedia.png
    Multimedia Functions!
    QBox Mini is also an advanced Multimedia Center.
    Audio Files
    Video Files
    IPOD, IPhone connection (first Set Top Box in the market having this function)
    Picture Viewer
    Weather Forecast
    MyTube Player (IP TV)
    And much much more...
    chip.png
    Main CPU, 32 Bit Co-Processor
    Storage memory and RAM.

Q-Box High Definition is based on ST chipset model STi7101 (ST40 with SH4 Core) with working speed at 266Mhz with 8MByte of NOR ROM for secure bootloader storage and 128 MB of system RAM.
    As co-processor there is a 32Bit MCU embedded in the Diablo CAM module internally installed operating at the speed of 50Mhz. This co-processor will manage the streaming input delayer function for better PVR operating.

Internally mounted there is a USB stick of 2GB (this capacity can change, please check on your sales configuration) for application and content storage. This user space is very necessary for developers to store and run their applications or simply to store some contents.
    tux.png
    Operating System and environment.

QBox mini is based on Linux Operating System kernel release 2.6.23.16 (or higher) and DVB-API version 3 and version 5 (DVB-S2) which represents the right answer for open source based Set Top Boxes.
    The Linux DVB API (Application Programming Interface) lets you control these hardware components through currently six Unix-style character devices for video, audio, frontend, de-mux, CA and IP-over-DVB networking.
    QBox High Definition uses as middleware the popular Enigma II with all its features and plug-ins.

The filesystem is hosted in an external USB stick of 2GB slim format which can be easily removed from the back side of the receiver and used in a PC to download the new firmware inside the receiver.
    The USB stick is used instead of internal memory so that the QBoxHD can have larger room to host more files, videos etc with NO space limitation. QBox mini is the first Set Top Box having this feature available.

q_box_mini_backpanel_usb.pngq_boxbackpanel_usb_2.png
    tuners_64.png
    DVB Streaming input.

The QBox High Definition has two different and independent DVB Tuner slots where users can mount Plug ‘n Play tuners module. DVB-S2, DVB-T and DVB-C can be installed. Please check the sales configuration before purchasing. Multiple LNB-Switching control (supports DiSEqC) is also included.
    ioports.png
    Input/Output interfaces.
    usb16.png
    3 x USB 2.0 input
    2x USB used as USB input ports.
    1x USB is used for Filesystem.
    smartcard.png
    2 x Smartcard Readers
    serial16.png
    1 x RS-232 Interface
    display-16.png
    1 x 2,0 inches TFT Display 16364 colors
    Audio and Video Input/Output

2 x Scart (RGB, FBAS or S-Video)1 x Component (3 RCA - 1 x Video 2 x Audiol R/L)1 x HDMI Output1 x S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)
    signal-Vista-48x48.png
    Ethernet and WLAN connection.

QBox mini has a LAN connection at 10/100Mbit via cable connection and it also may host a WLAN Module as plug-in easy to plug and play.

Wi-Fi (WLAN connection) is embedding 802.11G technology at 54Bit transfer rate.
    Installation of QBox mini Wi-Fi module is simple and fast! No need for screwdrivers or any skill!

Please check you retail configuration as the Wi-Fi module may be not included and considered as "optional".
    Drive-USB-48x48.png
    P.V.R. (Personal Video Recording)

PVR function is now available through external USB device. You can easily record your contents using an external device such as HDD or USB Pen drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Apogee

The PVR function still does not allow you to record two channels on the same mux.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Anyone found any reviews from regular punters for the QBox HD Mini on the web yet ?

Looks like a good box but can't afford to buy one if it turns out to be a pile of junk.

Here is a link to another site selling it for €239 but that doesn't include the DVB-T tuner and the site doesn't appear to sell them either ??

www.mediamaxshop.com

Well they are finally out. I have seen them for €165 less vat.

And Qbox team have released the source code on sourceforge! Brilliant news for product development.
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/qboxhd/index.php?title=Main_Page

Downside: I have yet to the dvb-t module though as the basic box doesnt have it as a standard part of the sale.

But looks like the one that will do Combo and 7 day epg for both via Enigma and media centre etc for less than €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

I'd forgotten about this one, thanks STB for reminding us.:)

It's certainly one I'll keep an eye on it now, providing it doesn't take another 12 months for optional tuners to come to market. Even a DVB-S2 one would be good, if Saorsat works out.

The additional dvb-s2 tuners are available. Havent seen the DVB-T ones. I am wondering are they the same ones as used on the Qbox itself.

They have taken an interest in it over on the Vu+ forum now that the source code has been released. Sensible move.

Heres the link to the €165 (without VAT) website.

http://www.electronicasuiza.com/es/productos.php4?query=0704

Its an official duolabs distributor and the cheapest I have seen so I wonder what the wholesale price is. An Alibaba had the unit cost at $70! Presumably you have to buy a 1000 at that price though or it was a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

Alibaba is chinese clones if memory serves me correct

Advertisement