Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Colour B4" Hair dye remover

• 04-04-2010 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this product?
    It's a new product that apparently removes old colours from your hair without having to strip it with bleach.
    It is getting great reviews on the Boots website here

I think I might give it a try. I bleached my hair blonde but have put loads of dark colours in it since and now it is nearly black and the colours are all built up. I am hoping this product will let me remove all the black colours so I can just put a medium brown in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Ooooh, would be really interested to see what people have to say about this. I dyed my hair dark brown recently but it came out jet black :mad:, in the process of trying to lighten it (using Head n'Shoulders), but not much joy so far.

The reviews on the boots site seem pretty promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Stacey.x

When Im 16, Im going to dye my hair blonde. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Yep It strips the colour out, but you need lots of rinsing and the orange tinge will remain if you have ever bleached your hair, and it has not gone to white blond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Lollers wrote: »
    Yep It strips the colour out, but you need lots of rinsing and the orange tinge will remain if you have ever bleached your hair, and it has not gone to white blond.

My hair is going to look very Shakira circa 2002 when I use this.
    I went from bleach blonde to dark 9 months ago so underneath all my dyes I'm going to have about 4 inches of the regrowth of my natural colour on top, and all the old bleach in the middle and the ends :D

Just a tip, never ever use Boots Semi-Premanent hair dye in Rich Maghogany ,it will leave you with purple goth embarrassing teenage hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭tanya2007

can ya buy this stuff in boots in ireland??

Boots Dundrum have it, I would say most major Boots stores round the country have it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Lollers wrote: »

I got blonde highlights in September. I wasn't convinced I liked them, so I've been leaving them grow out since. Apparently it was a 'new' type of highlighting technique called balléage (sp?) and didn't use ammonia or peroxide. If I use the B4 hair dye remover, will it still leave an orange tinge in my hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭tanya2007

thanks lollors im going to have to try it and see iv got a really bad rusty colour after xx live :p

convert wrote: »
    I got blonde highlights in September. I wasn't convinced I liked them, so I've been leaving them grow out since. Apparently it was a 'new' type of highlighting technique called balléage (sp?) and didn't use ammonia or peroxide. If I use the B4 hair dye remover, will it still leave an orange tinge in my hair?

It will remove any pigment that has been added to the hair but the bleached areas will still be there.
    Balleage is just the technique that is used- it is done free-handed rather than the traditional foils. Are you sure it didn't have peroxide? Peroxide is used for lightening hair, teeth... it is the staple ingredient of any permanent hair colouring and bleaching. Unless there are new formulas out that use something else to lighten hair.

Scott Cornwall (the creator of the product) has been posting in this thread and answering people's queries for anyone who wants to ask him for advice.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1056768&page=9

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Magenta wrote: »
    Balleage is just the technique that is used- it is done free-handed rather than the traditional foils. Are you sure it didn't have peroxide? Peroxide is used for lightening hair, teeth... it is the staple ingredient of any permanent hair colouring and bleaching. Unless there are new formulas out that use something else to lighten hair.

That's what I was told when I asked my hairdresser about the treatment and what was different about it (though maybe she thought that's what I hear.....). It also didn't smell of peroxide/amonia like the home kits do.
    Scott Cornwall (the creator of the product) has been posting in this thread and answering people's queries for anyone who wants to ask him for advice.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1056768&page=9

Thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Just in the process of using this. Will post pics of before and after results when I'm done!

Just in the process of using this. Will post pics of before and after results when I'm done!

Cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Thank you. Were you able to get it in Cork?

Yep, got it in the new boots off paul street. Was really hard to find, it was just thrown in the middle of all the hairdyes so I had to go scan each shelf to find it, was €13.99. Trying to upload the pictures but I cant find my cable for my camera and my sd card reader isnt working!

Pretty impressed with it, my hair was nearly black after layers of dye and its now a pretty even reddy/brown colour, going to try and netrualise it with a ash coloured rinse as suggested. Best bit is my hair seems to be in the same condition it was prior to the process! Will post pics when my card reader decides to kick in and work!

Not a happy bunny! Used a ash brown rinse to counteract the redness as was suggested on other threads by the creator of the product....and Im back where I started!! Thankfully its a non permanent dye, so fingers crossed it will fade :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

Not a happy bunny! Used a ash brown rinse to counteract the redness as was suggested on other threads by the creator of the product....and Im back where I started!! Thankfully its a non permanent dye, so fingers crossed it will fade :mad:

is it too dark? ash brown shud be fairly light?
    how did it affect your roots?

Rightio finally got pictures sorted......

Before:
    untitled-1.jpg

After Colour B4:
    002-1.jpg
    001-2.jpg

After light ash brown non permanent dye:
    010-1.jpg

Still darker than what I wanted, but felt that the colour left after the remover was too red for my liking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Amazed that the ash colour turned out so dark on you, your hair seems to be in great condition though!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

Just used colour b4 myself there.

My hair has been dyed a dark medium brown (permanent) since september, before that it was blonde.

It got a lot of the brown out, but not all, though I didn't expect that. My hair went a ginger brown colour, so like above poster I dyed over with clairol's light ash brown (looks almost dark/dirty blonde on the box).

My hair now looks black... I've tried rinsing as it's only a semi, but no. Just going to have to look like a goth for the next week or so. Very pissed off. :mad:

So I think don't dye straight away after using colour b4, wait a day. It's possible the hair has become porous and absorbed the hair dye at lot more than it should. Other than that it's a good product and does the job.

• Advertisement

blahhh wrote: »
    Just used colour b4 myself there.

My hair has been dyed a dark medium brown (permanent) since september, before that it was blonde.

It got a lot of the brown out, but not all, though I didn't expect that. My hair went a ginger brown colour, so like above poster I dyed over with clairol's light ash brown (looks almost dark/dirty blonde on the box).

My hair now looks black... I've tried rinsing as it's only a semi, but no. Just going to have to look like a goth for the next week or so. Very pissed off. :mad:

So I think don't dye straight away after using colour b4, wait a day. It's possible the hair has become porous and absorbed the hair dye at lot more than it should. Other than that it's a good product and does the job.

Thats the exact hair colour I used to cancel out the redness! But alas my hair must have still be too porous to accept the colour properly, but I had no choice as I had work the next day so had to do it. My advice would be do it when you have 2 days when you dont have to leave the house, do it on the first night, wash the next day and the day after then dye to cancel out the red tones.

Have to say though my hair condition doesnt appeared to have changed at all. As you can see in the pics straight after the Colour B4 was used my hair had a lovely shine to it, and I hadnt even used conditioner, just the products that came in the box, all in all it gets the thumbs up from me and will probably try it again when I have more time to leave my hair recover and breath a bit after using it.

So this stuff seems to make your hair super super super porous...

Maybe it would be a better idea to use an ash blonde semi permanent instead of brown- because it's only semi permanent, it can't lighten your hair, but hopefully the ashness would take?

Rightio finally got pictures sorted......

Before:
    untitled-1.jpg

After Colour B4:
    002-1.jpg
    001-2.jpg

After light ash brown non permanent dye:
    010-1.jpg

Still darker than what I wanted, but felt that the colour left after the remover was too red for my liking!

It did a great job of getting your dark out, very even and your hair looks in great condition afterwards. If you had used bleach and stripped your hair it would be very damaged afterwards. :(

Magenta wrote: »
    So this stuff seems to make your hair super super super porous...

Maybe it would be a better idea to use an ash blonde semi permanent instead of brown- because it's only semi permanent, it can't lighten your hair, but hopefully the ashness would take?

Thats what Im thinking now. The reason for using the ash tones is because of the green base to cancel out the red tones. It says not to use a semi permanent straight away better off to use a non permanent. I used the nice and easy non permanent 24 wash (think its 24) light ash brown. Thank god I didnt use anything darker or permanent, Id be in an awful way!

Not too bothered anymore, going on holidays in 8 weeks so my hair will probably lighten in the sun, so think I might just leave my hair as it is until after then, otherwise Im going to have one big mess on my hands!

Also forgot to say I used the higher strength Colour B4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ScottCornwall

Hi there, I saw this thread and had to join in. I created this product.

The reason you have been having these problems is this misconception there now is with permanent and semi permanent and temporary colours.

24 wash colours are permanent. Although we call them semi permanent they contain peroxide and to be quite frank give permanent results which may fade over months but certainly not washes.

If you go to a salon for semi permanent they will use a weak peroxide developer but most of these box colours you find in retail use high peroxide strengths. Therefore, if you use them after applying Colour B4 the colour will appear very dark as it can re-oxidize the old shade and grab on porous hair.

I only ever suggest using 2 products immediately after Colour B4. Loving Care Level 1 temporary and Wella Colour Fresh. If you apply the light ash brown Loving Care after using Colour B4 the hair will go a nice light shade. Then 2 weeks later (once your hair has calmed down and the temporary colour faded) I recommend using a semi permanent to (ironically) create the final permanent shade.

But please people, remember if the box contains two intermixable elements (a developer and a cream or liquid colour) you are using a permanent technology product no matter what the box says! Its ability to fade is only down to your hair type and condition.

I hope that helps!

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott!
    Thanks for coming on to talk to us :)

Thanks for clarifying that. Damn those dyes making us believe that they arent permanent! Have to say though totally impressed with the product, did exactly what it said it would, and didnt cause any visible damage.

Thankfully, Ive learned from my mistakes this time and certainly wont be making them again next time I try!

Really interesting about semi-permanent hair colour having peroxide, I always assumed that if you were going darker it would not contain any.

Anyway, I would have to agree that colour B4 is a really good product. Saved me from 6 months of growing out a purple hair disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Saw this product in Boots earlier and considered it, then chickened it! I gotta say I actually kinda like the colour you hair turned out after the treatment and before the ash semi went it..but that's just me!!
    I'll wait for a few more reviews before I do a DIY job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

id love to try this to get some of the darkness out of my hair and to then get blonde highlights - does anyone think this would/wouldnt work well?

Advertisement