Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the group who camped in Knocksink Wood on 17th April

Options
  • 18-04-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Here's a message for the group of about 10 people who camped in Knocksink Wood, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow last night, April 17th.
    I met you as you walked out, 7-8 guys, 2 girls, camping equipment, guitar, etc.
    Well I came upon your campsite later and was sickened. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves given the mess you left behind. Beer bottles, (some broken), cans, pots, an old tent, old shoes, 8-10 bags/boxes of rubbish.
    You even left your campfire lighting.
    Once again, shame on you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysus thats bad form alright. Wouldnt ya love to throw all the rubbish into their gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Bad form and only gives the rest of us who treat the countryside with respect a bad name! Shame on you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

That's a potential letter to the Irish Times if I ever saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Evil Phil wrote: »
    That's a potential letter to the Irish Times if I ever saw one.

Probably not Irish Times readers......

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

they should be hunted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

And people wonder why wild camping is banned over large areas of wicklow - it only takes a small minority of people to ruin for all.

There appears to be a big problem with litter in this country - there always has been but it appears to have gotten worse this last year or so. I was shocked and disgusted on passing by an illegal dump near Robertstown two weekends ago. Obviously the contents of a single lorry load, this scumbag had dumped the contents into a copse of trees beside an attractive old graveyard on a hill. Contained within the dump where the usual kitchen appliances, large numbers of bags of empty beer cans and what appears to be a few sacks of used nappies. The dump was disgusting and after seeing it I actually felt ashamed to be Irish.

It's not just the dumpers who are to blame - people who pay cheap rates to people to get rid of their household rubbish knowing full well the scumbag dumper is going to pollute some remote country area are as guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dogmatix wrote: »
    Contained within the dump where the usual kitchen appliances, large numbers of bags of empty beer cans and what appears to be a few sacks of used nappies. The dump was disgusting and after seeing it I actually felt ashamed to be Irish.

It's not just the dumpers who are to blame - people who pay cheap rates to people to get rid of their household rubbish knowing full well the scumbag dumper is going to pollute some remote country area are as guilty.
    Have a peak and see if you can see any letters, etc. Pretty sure the law states that if litter with your name on it is found, you can be fined for it. Have seen it mentioned in the Accommodation & Property forum.

As for them not reading the Irish times... their parents may.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it only takes a small minority of people to ruin for all.

true, I came across a lot of people camping in Glenmalure last week and while they were all still on site when I passed a few of the sites were filthy and rubbish strewn. Hopefully they all cleaned up after themselves but somehow I doubt it in all cases :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I'm not sure what an Irish Times reader looks like, but as I said I passed this group by as they walked out.
    They were pretty respectable looking actually, twenty something year olds, well dressed in a Dundrum SC type way. Comically, one was even dragging one of those wheeled suitcases behind him (through the forest).
    They must have had some tinge of conscience because most of the rubbish had been collected into bags and boxes and left in a single pile, almost as though they were expecting the binmen along.

loobylou wrote: »
    I
    They were pretty respectable looking actually, twenty something year olds, well dressed in a Dundrum SC type way. Comically, one was even dragging one of those wheeled suitcases behind him (through the forest).

the kind of D4 heads that think a problem like that will just solve itself no doubt.

"Jeeves will be along to tidy after us"

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

And people wonder why wild camping is banned over large areas of wicklow - it only takes a small minority of people to ruin for all.

There appears to be a big problem with litter in this country - there always has been but it appears to have gotten worse this last year or so. I was shocked and disgusted on passing by an illegal dump near Robertstown two weekends ago. Obviously the contents of a single lorry load, this scumbag had dumped the contents into a copse of trees beside an attractive old graveyard on a hill. Contained within the dump where the usual kitchen appliances, large numbers of bags of empty beer cans and what appears to be a few sacks of used nappies. The dump was disgusting and after seeing it I actually felt ashamed to be Irish.

I agree. Problem seems to be getting far worse in the last couple of years. May be related to the recession - people not able to afford rubbish fees?

I cycled around back roads of Meath, Kildare, Dublin yesterday and literally every ditch seemed to be dumped in! I'd love to know what the solution is. If the litter warden is as incompetent as the rest of the law-enforcement authorities, the problem is only going to get worse.

Maybe I'm being too cynical but I can't imagine anything would be done if you found a letter and notified the litter warden of the exact location of the dumping site. Anybody ever seen/heard of any active enforcement of this type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

the kind of D4 heads that think a problem like that will just solve itself no doubt.

"Jeeves will be along to tidy after us"

:pac::pac:

That's not fair, there's all kind of arseholes in the wicklow mountains.

Donny5 wrote: »
    That's not fair, there's all kind of arseholes in the wicklow mountains.

I know but from the OP's description this was the category these ones fell into.

Speaking of vandalism, was up Maulin yesterday for the first time in a few months, the further devastation Coilte has wrought is depressing. There must be more sustainable and visually pleasing way or managing such forests, rather than just gutting large chunks of them and leaving the place in absolute ****?

Dr Pepper wrote:
    Maybe I'm being too cynical but I can't imagine anything would be done if you found a letter and notified the litter warden of the exact location of the dumping site. Anybody ever seen/heard of any active enforcement of this type?

In fairness, here in Kerry you often hear of fines for illegal dumping. Remember, it is the local authority that prosecute such matters and they who have to clean up the mess. Always report, give description of anyone seen or reg plates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RoryM21

Should there be any problem camping in Knocksink? If not then what precautions should be taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

RoryM21 wrote: »
    Should there be any problem camping in Knocksink? If not then what precautions should be taken?

It's not allowed but there's always people camping in there because you can get a bus right to the entrance. It's very small, and there'll be lots of walkers and dogs in the morning.

Advertisement