Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a Labour government only prolong the economic ruin?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

After 2012 Ireland will almost certainly have a FG/Labour government, with the share and leverage each party holds in the coalition still up for grabs. But it seems to me that a government with a strong Labour component will only deepen the economic troubles we are in. The overall focus of their policies seem to be more taxes and disincentives for the private sector and the continued protection of the public sector and the large welfare programmes.

Last Friday night, the Labour Party Conference pledged the reversal of public sector pay-cuts (not a new stance). Labour are supposedly working for a fair and equal society, but yet here they are fighting to maintain the privileged status of public sector workers (better comparable pay; job for life; secure pension).

Eamon Gilmore has also previously opposed cuts to social welfare. So now we have a grand total of €41 billion (just shy of 70%) of our national budget that Labour are opposed to reducing. All this despite the fact that costs of living in Ireland are still falling. This stance is unfortunate given that the State has tax revenues far below this required €41 billion.

Unsurprisingly, the Labour Party want to shift the burden of responsibility onto the private sector instead through tax increases at a time when businesses are already struggling. In a press release last Friday, Joan Burton said that "the wealthiest sector in Ireland who own a wholly disproportionate share of our nation's wealth can readily stump up a sizeable share". A political way of saying that the creators of employment in this country will have to cough up, cramping the economy and the prospects for future growth.

Rather than debilitating tax increases, the best way to fix the huge budget deficit while still retaining economic potential and prospects of employment would be to haul in the rampant spending increases brought in under Fianna Fail. Given that this is the exact opposite of what the Labour Party want to do, I wonder if a government in which they hold serious swing will only make our economic woes a whole lot worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Somone needs to keep Labour in check and someone needs to keep Fine Gael in check and that's why I think a coalition of the two is the way forward. Either way, I want to see Richard Bruton as Minister for Finance and Joan Bruton kept well away from it. Honestly, I don't think they'll hold too much sway in any coalition; think of them as another Green Party but with some integrity in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

I woulnt be so sure, they are well on their way to another Spring tide.
    They will probably make up 30-33% of the next government.

That will hold a lot of sway.

I would prefare if FG could form a coilition with independants, and keep Labour well away from the state coffers.

The policies outlined above are a strategy for disaster. A colition government could well fail fairly quickly if Labour insisted on any of these policies in a program for government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement