Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landis admits doping, points finger at LA - Please read Mod Warning post 1

Options
  • 20-05-2010 6:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Wall Street Journal piece

Is this old news?

Mod Note 03/02/12

I've put this warning in post #1,230, but am repeating it here to ensure everyone sees it without having to scan through bthe whole thread

Please remember doping speculation is not allowed. None of us are privvy to the fine details of the investigation, or the reasons for the decision of the Federal Investigators (which appears not to have been disclosed)

Thanks

Beasty

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is this old news?

Yes and no. It was obvious what was going on, but he's the first person directly involved to fully spill the beans like this.

Funny, there was a lot of speculation that Landis would eventually come clean. More than one person felt he wasn't the kind of guy who could keep quiet about it.

Next few weeks are going to be very interesting. Quite possibly there'll be no Radioshack or BMC at the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

No it's not old news, but it's going to be interesting to see how the UCI deal with this now, since in my eye's it's hoisted by it's petard. How so ? Well McQuaid has come out and called Pellizotti a cheat without due process and he's not been given due process, now that these accusations have been levelled at Armstrong and Co you'd have to wonder how they will deal with them.

Landis is an angry, angry man, it's going to be interesting to see how Armstrong tries to make this go away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A few peoples lawyers will be earning their crust today I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lots of "no comments" in that article. it was only a matter of time before someone broke ranks and spilled the blood.. I mean, beans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

All Lies. Spitting in the Soup. Never Tested Positive. Cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

LA has in the past been accused/implicated in doping. But the allegation that JB introduced doping to FL that's new isn't it?

ESPN has a good piece on this too, with quotes from Landis.

Velonews says that Zabriskie was also named.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

All Lies. Spitting in the Soup. Never Tested Positive. Cancer.

Landis claimed he was clean in his book "Positively False". Now he says he doped throughout his career. His allegations against Armstrong are therefore the allegations of a proven liar.

Can't wait to hear David Harmon trying to comment on this later.

• Advertisement

Will be very interested to hear what Zabriskie and Vaughters say later on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fair dues to Landis. This was not an easy decision to make. I hope he gets support from the cycling establishment (or what's left of it afterwards !!).

Expect a host of retirements in the very near future and goodbye to a few teams as well.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I had seen the scenario of Lance's eventual and inevitable downfall* predicted [NSFW], and the most plausible route to revelation always hinged on which ex-team-mate hit rock bottom first. My money was on Tyler Hamilton, but Floyd always had that crazy look in his eye.

Most dramatic sport ever, isn't it. Never a dull moment.

*had anyone done a Lance related Downfall parody yet? If not, why not?

RobFowl wrote: »
    I hope he gets support from the cycling establishment (or what's left of it afterwards !!).
    Not a chance. His only hope is if people like Frankie Andreu, Hamilton, Zabriskie and Vaughters verify his claims.

Noone has ever named names before have they? So we're into new territory.

@Pete that is the problem. Due to his complete lack of credibility as a witness he is dependant on the word of other people.

If they don't step forward then if this goes no where. Any half ass lawyer would drive a bus through his evidence. . . ."Mr Landis, are you lying now or where you lying then . . .'

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Pete that is the problem. Due to his complete lack of credibility as a witness he is dependant on the word of other people.

If they don't step forward then if this goes no where. Any half ass lawyer would drive a bus through his evidence. . . ."Mr Landis, are you lying now or where you lying then . . .'

From ESPN:
    Landis, who began his career as a top mountain biker, had kept detailed training journals since he was a teenager. He said he continued the same methodical record-keeping once he started using banned drugs and techniques. Landis said he spent as much as $90,000 a year on performance-enhancing drugs and on consultants to help him build a training regime. Landis said he has kept all of his journals and diaries and has offered to share them with U.S. anti-doping authorities in recent meetings. He added that he has given officials detailed information on how athletes are beating drug testing.

And from the famous IM conversation between Andreau and Vaughters:
    Cyclevaughters: they draw the blood right after the dauphine

FDREU: how do they sneak it in, or keep it until needed

FDREU: i'm sure it's not with the truck in the frig

Cyclevaughters: motorcycle--refridgerated [sic] panniers

Cyclevaughters: on the rest day

Cyclevaughters: floyd has a photo of the thing

el tonto wrote: »
    And from the famous IM conversation between Andreau and Vaughters:

JV has said he was gossiping and saying what he heard, but couldn't prove it in court. I am aware that Andreus OH brought it up, but it will be interesting to hear what JV has to say now.

Let's for a moment believe that DZ and big george are clean now. Can they be banned if it was proven they hoped in the early part of their careers?
    I mean is there a statute of limitations ob this stuff. How far can the authorities whether uci or wada go back?

So how will this play out? I'm callow enough to know that if Radioshack imploded spectacularly I'd enjoy the show. I could even be ok with seeing Garmin falter as DZ is forced out. I've always struggled to understand why Hincappie is so beloved so the end of his career wouldn't bother me... No, where this becomes messy and unfortunate is with Rihs.

I'd, foolishly it now seems, felt sorry for Rihs as phonak disappeared and BMC walked away from top-flight sponsorship. I bought the line that a single lone american from the old school of doping had fouled the nest. Now it seems BMC/Rihs were not victims but co-conspirators...

...and where does that leave Cadel?

It is entirely possible that this will effect his prospects far more than any of the others named today, even though he actually has a rep as a clean athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not a chance. His only hope is if people like Frankie Andreu, Hamilton, Zabriskie and Vaughters verify his claims.

Noone has ever named names before have they? So we're into new territory.

Ignorance or sarcasm?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The people who released this should know better, it's only Thursday :p

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭teufelswerk

tunney wrote: »
    Ignorance or sarcasm?

I imagine Sarcasm, that time Emma O'Reilly had her book blocked was hailed as the end for Lance at the time. If they haven't made anything stick against him at this stage they'll do well to change that.

I just rest on my own decision not to like Lance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So who'll get Radioshack and BMC's TDF places ? And will Cadel jump ship to another team ?

Given how quickly the Shack hot a pro license I would imagine that Mr McQuaid is not enjoying his muesli this morning.

Maybe we will see Kenny Van Hummell at the tour afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

niceonetom wrote: »

I'd, foolishly it now seems, felt sorry for Rihs as phonak disappeared and BMC walked away from top-flight sponsorship. I bought the line that a single lone american from the old school of doping had fouled the nest. Now it seems BMC/Rihs were not victims but co-conspirators...
    I've said it many times before, Riis is rotten to the core. I can't understand how the authorities allow a known druggie, and he is not the only one, manage a team. On saying that should the authorities have the power to ban someone who has a known, and in this case admitted record of serial doping?

As for Cadel? well I love the guy and he is always top of my list of clean riders however like some other high profile former world champions who produce incredible performances I begin to wonder :confused: I really hope I'm wrong

Delighted for Greg Lemond

sy wrote: »
    I've said it many times before, Riis is rotten to the core. I can't understand how the authorities allow a known druggie, and he is not the only one, manage a team. On saying that should the authorities have the power to ban someone who has a known, and in this case admitted record of serial doping?

Not Bjarne Riis, he's been an admitted (though unpunished due to a statute of limitations issue) doper for a while now. His problems are just baout trying to get a sponsor. I'm tlking about Andy Rihs, the swiss owner of the BMC team and former owner of the Phonak team. His is the only name named today that surprises me as I hadn't known he was complicit in Floyd's 2006 shenanigans or that he'd brought Floyd into Phonac on the understanding that he was a doper and would be continuing to dope for Phonac. That's why I'm concerned for Cadel.
    :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think assuming some good will come of this is a bit premature, the volcano might be pluming but that doesn't mean it will erupt any time soon.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

niceonetom wrote: »
    Not Bjarne Riis, he's been an admitted (though unpunished due to a statute of limitations issue) doper for a while now. His problems are just baout trying to get a sponsor. I'm tlking about Andy Rihs, the swiss owner of the BMC team and former owner of the Phonak team. His is the only name named today that surprises me as I hadn't known he was complicit in Floyd's 2006 shenanigans or that he'd brought Floyd into Phonac on the understanding that he was a doper and would be continuing to dope for Phonac. That's why I'm concerned for Cadel.

:D

I know your pretty good on the spelling :D so just thought it was lack of coffee on your behalf. Thanks for that, I think I need the coffee :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement