Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a lack of responsibility in Ireland?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭

well is there?

I really believe that there is.

Right from the top down this is evident. From guys like O'Donoghue and O'Dea in goverment blaming everything on everyone but themselves (with respect both the expenses fiasco and the lible suit). The church, the banks, the public sector, the private sector... whatever. There just seems to be no desire for any one here to say " you know what, I ****ed up". The problem is I see this filtering down through society to the teenagers who go around smashing things up and gettign away with it due to a "broken home" or abuse or whatnot or knifing each other because they see the people of power in this country literrally get away with whatever they like and think why shouldn't they.

is there just a general lack of taking responsibility for your actions in this country? Cos there seems to me to be always some excuse to explain away even the worst of things.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd say there is a lack of accountability also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

a High Court Judge wrote a report on a former Government leader and talked about the 'quality of our modern democracy'

it varies:

headline in todays Independant: 'HSE refuse to pass over files'

a certain lawlessness

time to become more German, time to be less irish and more European,

'a european solution to an Irish problem'

thats my 2cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think it would be more apt to describe it as from the bottom up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

prinz wrote: »
    I think it would be more apt to describe it as from the bottom up.

How so?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    How so?

People need to change at the ground level first. Then your elected officials etc will be different. There is still a massive culture of shirking responsibility in this country, until it changes at grass roots level those at the top won't be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

The problem is that as a nation we don't hold people responsible. Why aren't our prisons full of white collar workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

As the great Bartholomew J. Simpson once said.
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, can't prove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

A fella I know got stabbed Saturday night,he's in hospital now,everyone in the town knows full well who did it,he's been fighting with him for ages and has done stuff like this before too many times,all that happened was that he wasn't allowed to leave his estate.

Hopefully now he'll get what he deserves before he goes around attacking people again.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

NothingMan wrote: »
    As the not-so-great Bartholomew P. Ahern once said.

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, can't prove anything.

FYP :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

As the great Bartholomew J. Simpson once said: I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, can't prove anything.

Simpson or Ahern?

As the great Bartholomew J. Simpson once said.
    Simpson or Ahern?

Beat you to it :cool: see post #10

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

People need to change at the ground level first. Then your elected officials etc will be different. There is still a massive culture of shirking responsibility in this country, until it changes at grass roots level those at the top won't be any different.
    I'd say it should start at the top. People have always taken their cue from those in power.
    "Sure what does it matter if I pour some bleach down the drain when XXX company gets away with spilling tons of oil".

That said, responsibility should be taught in schools and by responsible parents.
    Our children should be better citizens than we were.

biko wrote: »
    That said, responsibility should be taught in schools and by responsible parents. Our children should be better citizens than we were.

+1, but having an attitude like the OP isn't going to help.

I don't see why people need to see someone else practice personal responsibility to take it upon themselves. It is in fact another facet of dodging personal responsibility - trying to blame someone else.

Beat you to it :cool: see post #10

I'm glad that's so important for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A nation of rabbits.:(

The Bunny Poem by Pam Ayres

I am a bunny rabbit
    Sitting in me hutch
    I like to sit up this end
    I don't care for that end ... much.
    I'm glad tomorrow's Thursday
    'Cause with a bit of luck
    As far as I can remember
    That's the day they pass the buck!

I'm glad that's so important for you.

I never pass up the opportunity to target the architect of the country's demise (Bertie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭GTE

I've seen it in children not wanting to admit they did something.
    I've seen it through secondary school with people just not willing to admit they did something or caused a problem.
    I see it in college when a mistake is made and they are not willing to come clean.

In each different place I mentioned it gets worse and worse that no one can take responsibility. Primary schoolers are ok, secondary schoolers should know better and college goers are just idiots.

Then you have the people up to the very top.

I do believe there is a problem with people taking responsibility for their actions.

btw. For a future argument. . I didnt say any of that lol.:rolleyes:

I never pass up the opportunity to target the architect of the country's demise (Bertie)

Whatever.
    I was referring to your glee at having posted the same sentiment as myself seconds earlier.
    In what way does that fulfill you?

Whatever.
    I was referring to your glee at having posted the same sentiment as myself seconds earlier.
    In what way does that fulfill you?

I wasnt being gleeful (is that a word). Its actually interesting we think alike on the subject. Thats all. Peace, man. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 electrofrog

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals . . . .…except the weasel;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

is boards.ie run by germans?every thread without fail someone says we need to be more like germany. why there on the verge of destroying europe for the third time in 100 years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't really blame politicians to be honest. Their politicians, I don't get mad at a dog for wagging it's tail so I'm not going to get mad at a politician for being the best politician they can be within a corrupt system.

It's the people that are really to blame, the Irish sit back and expect to be waited on hand and foot by their government. We do nothing to get involved with the running of our country on a local level, that's why this country is screwed we have no interest in it. Politician are just the states employees they're nothing without the people behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is there a lack of responsibility in Ireland?

Do I look like I give a f*ck? It's not my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't really blame politicians to be honest. Their politicians, I don't get mad at a dog for wagging it's tail so I'm not going to get mad at a politician for being the best politician they can be within a corrupt system.

It's the people that are really to blame, the Irish sit back and expect to be waited on hand and foot by their government. We do nothing to get involved with the running of our country on a local level, that's why this country is screwed we have no interest in it. Politician are just the states employees they're nothing without the people behind them.

tbf the people arent behind FF and they still have the power to enact policy and deny by-elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I don't like responsibility, even me own so I'm not helpin' the Government to do theirs the lazy b0ll0xes.

I'm too tried. zzzzzzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Well that's why we have the Gardai, let them do a better job. Anybody will try their best to get away with something until they get caught.

Well that's why we have the Gardai, let them do a better job. Anybody will try their best to get away with something until they get caught.

Speak for yourself there chief. You sound like the sort of chap who even if the gardaí did catch you doing something would whine about why they weren't catching someone else etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

DrumSteve wrote: »
    tbf the people arent behind FF and they still have the power to enact policy and deny by-elections.
    They're employees, we're stuck with them for now we should be on their backs getting them to do what needs to be done rather than being on their backs telling them how bad they've been, it's non-constructive just telling them they're crap instead of finding out what you actually need (locally) and getting them to do that.

As far as I can see the general public haven't a clue what they want, how can your employee know what way to act when they can't really get any clear message of what they should be doing from their employer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

+1, but having an attitude like the OP isn't going to help.

I don't see why people need to see someone else practice personal responsibility to take it upon themselves. It is in fact another facet of dodging personal responsibility - trying to blame someone else.

I agree people tend to spend too much time worrying about what the person next to them is doing instead of looking at themselves and taking responsibility for their own actions

as my mother always said "if so and so jumped off a cliff does that mean you would do that also" she always taught me to be my own person not to jump on the bandwagon and if i f***ed up to admit it and take responsibility for it

harsh lessons where learned but at the end of the day i respect someone more if they can hold their hands up and say yes i messed up im sorry how do i fix it how do i make it better and learn for this experience so that if i encounter the same dilemma in the future i can handle it better

Advertisement