Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

couple of problems with ubuntu 10.04

Options
  • 30-05-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

hi folks

hoping you can help a newbie out with a coupla problems I'm having with ubuntu 10.04

I'm having a lot of trouble with Tucan download manager. I had it all set up fine on ubuntu 9.1 on my htpc but then I found it started having problems. when I click to add links it crashes the program immeadiately. It will work the odd time but mostly not. I doesnt crash out on my laptop running 10.04 but wont actually start downloading even though all my credentials (premium acc) are entered correctly. does it only work with one ip address maybe? dunno if anyone has had the same trouble.?

my other 'problem' is filesharing. setting up shared folders is doing my nut in. I want to set up a couple of shared folders on my htpc so that I can access my music library from my laptop. every tutorial i find seems to be accessing ubuntu shares from a windows pc. is the process the same? Sharing the folders out is no problem, its just that when I browse the network from the laptop I cant find anything. can anyone point the way to a decent tutorial

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If it helps I use JDownloader on ubuntu and I'd highly recommend it. It support a wide variety of premium account sites, has the ability to automatically merge archives and I've found it to be incredibly stable and fast. Couple of UI issues that could be improved on, but feature wise it can't be beat.

As for the issue you are having with samba, I'd take a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149 and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

installed jdownloader last night and it works great. its a bit of a rigmarole to get it installed but it looks to be the biz. cheers for that.

I'll take a look at your other link this evening. thanks

so i've been following that other tutorial to get samba installed and it aint really working out for me. It seems to be a lot of pricking around just to get a shared folders amongst my ubuntu pcs.

Do I actually need samba to share files amongst ubuntu pcs? all the tutorials seem to be talking about using samba to access windows shares. I found this personal fileshare program in the Admin menu . from reading the help files this should enable me to share stuff via the public directory which would be fine. I get the below error when trying to access the public folder from a remote pc though.

I'd really appreciate some help here. this is getting fairly frustrating.

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Mountpoint Already registered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

so i've been following that other tutorial to get samba installed and it aint really working out for me. It seems to be a lot of pricking around just to get a shared folders amongst my ubuntu pcs.

Do I actually need samba to share files amongst ubuntu pcs? all the tutorials seem to be talking about using samba to access windows shares. I found this personal fileshare program in the Admin menu . from reading the help files this should enable me to share stuff via the public directory which would be fine. I get the below error when trying to access the public folder from a remote pc though.

I'd really appreciate some help here. this is getting fairly frustrating.

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Mountpoint Already registered

No you don't need samba if you are not connecting to windows, look up NFS

as for the error you maybe a firewall problem; but it is a samba problem so if you sort out nfs you mightn't need to worry about it,
    see here for more info:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/456808

as a newbie i gotta say they dont make network sharing easy

I thought I was home and dry following this
    http://clararaubertas.net/blog/share-folders-between-two-ubuntu-computers-on-the-same-lan-with-nfs/

doesnt seem to be working for me though. nuts to it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

as a newbie i gotta say they dont make network sharing easy

I thought I was home and dry following this
    http://clararaubertas.net/blog/share-folders-between-two-ubuntu-computers-on-the-same-lan-with-nfs/

doesnt seem to be working for me though. nuts to it

NFS is basically a throw back to the early 80's. It's only in later revisions that the security of such an insecure protocol was reviewed. That and the fact the early implementations lacked any sort of reliability/error checking. A nice newbie friendly way of sharing your files is to just use sshfs. Read a howto for Ubuntu/Debian, where it's installation is usually "apt-get install sshfs". Much better than working with NFS at this time. NFS is simple, but it's still not the best for people new to Unix. NFS is ok when you know how, but leave it for the moment. You can always go back to more advanced solutions(although sshfs will probably suit your needs fine).

I'll check it out.

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

If you want to share files around your own network, you could try Giver,
    If you want to access a music library get a DAAP Aware Client and install Tangerine. Daap Aware clients include RythymBox and Banshee although you can get plugins for XMMS and such, but I use tangerine as the server and banshee as the client.

It's easy to set up.

If you are having trouble with Ubuntu try Linux Mint. It works and shared folders are so easy to set up on it.

Linux mint is based on ubuntu but it's focus is on ease of use.

I'll assume that remote means machine on the internet.
    First of all in your router port forward ports 20-23 (FTP and SSH ports)

If you want access your folders through the gui, now on your remote machine type

ssh user@domainoripaddress nautilus

This will open an X session on your machine that gets forwarded to your remote machine.

just remember that when doing it for the first time you will need to type "yes" just pressing y isn't enough.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I really wouldn't recommend forwarding FTP ports on a router. FTP is a ridiculously insecure protocol.

• Advertisement

Well, I find ftp to be secure as i require a password on my machine to access it. I also have a password on root.

Depending on which ftp daemon you run, it can be secure or insecure,
    and how you set it up too. for example, i don't allow anonymous access to my machine.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well, I find ftp to be secure as i require a password on my machine to access it. I also have a password on root.
    ...and the password is sent in cleartext across the Internet.

If your machine has ssh, you don't need ftp.

Advertisement