Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Perfect working Wifi tether for rooted Eclair phones

• 08-06-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=697168

Works great for me on my Desire!

Must have root

dl this file and place in /sdcard/android.tether/

uninstall any other version of wifi tether

install the latest version of the wifi tether apk and you are good to go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Do you know if this is ad-hoc or infrastructure mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It enables your phone as a wifi access point, complete with SSID, WEP (but not better security), DHCP, on connect approval, and Mac Address filtering, and can use either 3G or any other wifi connection for Webaccess.

It also allows you to use a BT PAN connection to access the web via your phones 3G or again via wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

But is it definitely infrastructure mode? some devices (such as a craptablet i have on order) don't support ad-hoc, and any wireless tethering i've seen discussed so far has been ad-hoc only

Sorry its adhoc only, I think the official Froyo one is the same too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I wouldnt say it is, at google I/O they had an ipad running off the Nexus One

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say it is, at google I/O they had an ipad running off the Nexus One

I have my ipad running off mine, it adhoc tho, not infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi Inquitis, you linked me here from the other thread, thanks :)

How do I know if my rooted desire is eclair or not? Or should it just work anyway no matter what rom etc I used? I'm pretty sure I used the basic one..

cormie wrote: »
    Hi Inquitis, you linked me here from the other thread, thanks :)

How do I know if my rooted desire is eclair or not? Or should it just work anyway no matter what rom etc I used? I'm pretty sure I used the basic one..

Sorry Eclair is Android 2.1 which is what the Desire launched with. Froyo is 2.2 and has Wifi-tethering built in, so I am assuming you have 2.1 (Eclair) given you are asking for Wifi-tethering.

So assuming you have a rooted 2.1 ROM, follow the steps above and away you go!

Ah yes, the oul desert code names, thanks for bringing that back to my memory :) will give it a go :)

Sorry, just to be safe again, is the LATEST LATEST one the one I'm after of the APKs on that list of 15?
    Filename ▼ Summary + Labels ▼ Uploaded ▼ Size ▼ DownloadCount ▼ ...
    wireless_tether_2_0_2.apk Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.2 Featured HTC Donut NexusOne Motorola Droid Samsung Galaxy Cliq Legend Evo Stable 38 hours ago 312 KB 2324

Doesn't mention the desire at all there:confused:

• Advertisement

Its changed since I posted instructions

you need this apk

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wireless_tether_2_0_2-pre14.apk&can=2&q=

So dl the file mentioned in the post above, add it to /sdcard/android.tether/

then install that apk above

and bobs your uncle.

Incidentally there's no risk involved in this, it will either work (which it will in your case) or wont, and you can simply uninstall the apk and delete the file from your sd card.

And it works on the Desire as I am using it now to post from my ipad!

Aha, I downloaded the 38hour old one and it didn't work so I'll give the other a shot, thanks :)

Aha, I downloaded the 38hour old one and it didn't work so I'll give the other a shot, thanks :)

And it wont work unless you dl this file and place in /sdcard/android.tether/

as well as installing the apk

Followed all instructions and it's still not working :(

After I uninstall old wifi tether, then reinstall the one you linked to and open it, it says extracting binary files or something like that (which I assume is the file you linked to above) but when I turn on wifi tethering, it still seems to be the same as it was before, the green number stays at 4 and the red stays at 1. The signal comes up in my wireless networks on the PC, but when I try to connect, it just says "waiting for connection" for a minute or so and then nothing happens :(

Just to be sure, mounting SD card = connecting USB and choosing use as disc drive, then going to removable disc in my computer and creating folder there?

Followed all instructions and it's still not working :(

After I uninstall old wifi tether, then reinstall the one you linked to and open it, it says extracting binary files or something like that (which I assume is the file you linked to above) but when I turn on wifi tethering, it still seems to be the same as it was before, the green number stays at 4 and the red stays at 1. The signal comes up in my wireless networks on the PC, but when I try to connect, it just says "waiting for connection" for a minute or so and then nothing happens :(

Just to be sure, mounting SD card = connecting USB and choosing use as disc drive, then going to removable disc in my computer and creating folder there?

You need to place the file name fw_bcm4329.bin , downloaded from

http://www.multiupload.com/XVP8WH5MZU

in

/android.tether/

in the root of your sdcard

you dont want to create a folder called /sdcard/android.tether on your sdcard, thats simply describes the location from your phone root.

or it wont work.

When you run it and check the log you need to see that file loaded or you have done it wrong

attachment?aid=7959923214277881218&name=device.png&token=660de29f2adb197f3087717e86ba48bd&inline=1

The log shows:
    Loading bcm4329.ko module (fw_bcm4329.bin from /sdcard/android.tether)...
    done

Activating wifi interface...
    done

setting ad-hoc mode...
    done

setting essid...
    done

setting channel...
    done

enabling NAT rules...
    done

enabling IP forwarding...
    done

Tethering now running...
    done

But still no connection :(

EDIT: Weird, the first time this thread loaded I didn't see the screenshot you posted and I replied with my log, then when I posted it, I saw the screenshot, so yep, it's exactly the same as the screenshot, but no connection :(

The log shows:

But still no connection :(

EDIT: Weird, the first time this thread loaded I didn't see the screenshot you posted and I replied with my log, then when I posted it, I saw the screenshot, so yep, it's exactly the same as the screenshot, but no connection :(

What are you trying to connect to it?

Just my laptop, the SSID is showing up in my list of available connections as a computer to computer connection, but when I click to connect it just waits and waits and then closes without connecting. My normal wifi signal is working fine, that's what I'm using now. The DOWN/UP was still at 4/1 after about 10 mins of it being on :confused:

Just my laptop, the SSID is showing up in my list of available connections as a computer to computer connection, but when I click to connect it just waits and waits and then closes without connecting. My normal wifi signal is working fine, that's what I'm using now. The DOWN/UP was still at 4/1 after about 10 mins of it being on :confused:

I am posting from my Dell laptop using it now.

I have connected my dell to the Android Tether SSID, I have connection monitoring on so when my Laptop connects I approve my connection on my phone, once done I have my laptop tethered by wifi to my phone (HTC Desire, rooted running the Modaco 2.1 ROM) which then serves it the internet over the phones 3G connection.

Maybe your laptop has issues with Ad Hoc mode, else I have no idea, sorry.

N.E.

I'm on a Dell Vostro myself, I doubt it's anything to do with the laptop though?

Would the frequency channel or lan network have anything to do with it I wonder?

Thanks for the help so far anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Woo! Working like a charm for me here.

HTC Desire / MacBook Pro.

Thanks Inquitus :D

Damn you, damn you both :D

Why wont it work for me :(

Did we all root it the same way I wonder?

Here's how I did it...

http://www.vantasks.ie/xpdesireroot.html

wonder are we all running the same roms?

Actually, I followed that same IM log to get rooted (thanks for posting it!). Using the MoDaCo rom.

Don't know what advice to give... copy the file to /andorid.tether/ on the SD card, install the APK... just works :-/

Did you uninstall your existing WiFi tether app before installing the new one? Not sure if that makes a difference but I had two installed (neither worked) before, uninstalled them both before attempting this.

Damn you, damn you both :D

Why wont it work for me :(

Did we all root it the same way I wonder?

Here's how I did it...

http://www.vantasks.ie/xpdesireroot.html

wonder are we all running the same roms?

Try connecting to it with something esle besides your laptop, just to see if it's defo the phone. I am using a Modaco Custom 2.1 ROM

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307881/27-may-r3-1-modaco-custom-rom-for-htc-desire-with-online-kitchen/

Inq

Thanks for the help again folks :)

Yup, uninstalled the previous version of wifi tether before attempting this. Going to give it one more go, if it doesn't work, I'll be able to test it on something else tomorrow I think :) I remember the first version I had, the one that came with the root, had options of how strong the signal should be etc. These don't seem to be there anymore

What frequency and channel are you guys using and the LAN thingy too? Does any of that make a difference I wonder?

Can I just ask, how did you guys install the APK? I just put it in the root folder of the SD card and used Astro...

Can I just ask, how did you guys install the APK? I just put it in the root folder of the SD card and used Astro...

Aye I used estrong, but same same.

Just started from scratch and still no luck :(

Could either of you please check, if you simply "enable it" and don't connect anything to it, what to the Up/Down figures go to? My down goes to .4 and my up .1 and they just stay at them figures the whole time then:confused:

Downloaded the APK using the Android browser and opened it up from the 'downloaded files' list. Can't see this making a difference :-/
    Could either of you please check, if you simply "enable it" and don't connect anything to it, what to the Up/Down figures go to? My down goes to .4 and my up .1
    Same. Without anything connected the numbers goto 0.4kB and 0.1kB then seem to stay there.
    cormie wrote:
    What frequency and channel are you guys using and the LAN thingy too?
    Didn't change any of that. Channel is set to '06 (2437MHz)' and LAN is the second one on the list, '192.168.2.0/24'.

Are you absoutly sure that the .bin file is on the SD card in a folder named /android.tether/. If you're browsing using Astro you should be able to see it in /sdcard/android.tether/. From your computer it will just look like /android.tether/ (you will already be in the /sdcard/ directory).

• Advertisement

He has it right because it loads per his log, i did it without the file and the log doest say loaded bin

Advertisement