Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Here Ever Live Abroad? Thinking Of London.

Options
  • 12-06-2010 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

I'm looking for any info you can throw my way with regards to living and working in London. The lifestyle over there suites my way of life. I'm 23, energetic, motivated, ambitious and involved in an industry that is literally and hopelessly non-existent in Ireland.

Having recently come back from a two week stint while staying with family over there, I have grown to love the bright lights, the underground atmosphere and the overall friendliness of the people in general.

What are your experiences of working there or living there...is it overly expensive etc.

Thanks for replies in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Expensive :)

Unless you have something lined up don't even think about it. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Council tax, water rates, multi zone travel cards. Rents ! Yep spensive would be the word I'd think of too.

Also don't forget when you blow your nose black gunk comes out of it.

Also if you buy an Oyster card in London all your movements will be watched :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

As usual, the normal negativity. :rolleyes:

Even if it is overly expensive, it still beats the sh!t out of Dublin.

Can anyone explain to me what, in the name of God, is in this kip we call a capital?

Oh yeah...corruption, ignorance and small-mindedness, stigmas and illiteracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Try manchester then, if you don't want expensive bills... though be prepared for nothing.. there ain't anything there but shops.. i'd personally recommend edinburgh though.

• Advertisement

Can anyone explain to me what, in the name of God, is in this kip we call a capital?

Agree in some ways, better nightlife, decent clubs without all this 2.30AM nannyism.

Also if you buy an Oyster card in London all your movements will be watched :eek:

Yea, where you go on their buses.:P Typical, jealousy.

Agree in some ways, better nightlife, decent clubs without all this 2.30AM nannyism.

Dublin is NOT better than london!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

London's a shithole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I love London, yes it is expensive but hell so is Dublin, yes it is dirty but hell so is Dublin you get good and bad everywhere :o

be aware that their job market is in as much **** as ours so would try to have something lined up also if you could stay with your relatives for a while this will save on rent :D

you get one shot at this life grab it by the balls and go for it if it works out great if not life lesson is learned but i wish you all the best its something i wish i had the balls to do at your age :D

• Advertisement

brummytom wrote: »
    London's a shithole

Yea, because its british.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

London's a shithole

Compared to where exactly?

owenc wrote: »
    Yea, because its british.:rolleyes:
    Hey, we're both British

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Morlar wrote: »
    Also don't forget when you blow your nose black gunk comes out of it.

That stopped happening to me about 6 months ago... I'm actually a little worried about where the black gunk is ending up now if it isn't in my nose:o

An expensive place to live, but totally worth it as a life experience imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Try manchester then, if you don't want expensive bills... though be prepared for nothing.. there ain't anything there but shops.. i'd personally recommend edinburgh though.

I lived in Manchester for nearly five years. There is lots to do there, nightclubs stay open till 8am. It has a lot of Irish there too. Its kinda a big slum tbh but theres always a party going on. If you really want to know what Manchester is like ignore Cornation Street and watch Shameless.

Hey, we're both British

what makes me so sure your not lying.

yeah not crazy about Manchester dull and depressing however LONDON BABY IS FAB

what makes me so sure your not lying.
    I could show you my passport, but I don't like the photo.

OP, obviously I'm not biased at all or anything.... butttt... if you want a good nightlife in the UK, Birmingham's a very good option too, and a hell of a lot cheaper than London. Very good Irish Associations here that can help you look for housing/work etc. Most major cities here have 'Irish Centres'; they'd be a good place to look at.

Offy wrote: »
    I lived in Manchester for nearly five years. There is lots to do there, nightclubs stay open till 8am. It has a lot of Irish there too. Its kinda a big slum tbh but theres always a party going on. If you really want to know what Manchester is like ignore Cornation Street and watch Shameless.

No, i was there for a couple of days and there was nothing to do except goto the cinema, shop, goto a football match, and thats pretty much all. There was nothing like london etc... even edinburgh has more in it.

London's a shithole

I'm not singling you out because we don't know where you're from or the experience of your opinion but I must say, I throw up in my mouth a little when I hear people bad mouth the UK without proper explanation or for the simple fact that they're British.

Yes, we have a horrible history and our communication skills may have not always been on the same page but, in general, they are very nice people.
    I envy the liberalism of the minds, no matter what the Government preach regarding strong conservatism or whatnot.

Dublin is years behind Britain. The infrastructure in basic terms, is laughable.

• Advertisement

I could show you my passport, but I don't like the photo.

OP, obviously I'm not biased at all or anything.... butttt... if you want a good nightlife in the UK, Birmingham's a very good option too, and a hell of a lot cheaper than London

Yea, and you could just get a fake picture anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I went to London in the mid 80s to find work. As with most people I was planning to stay for a couple of years and ended up staying over 12 years. I was in London the whole time. Loved it. Yes, it is expensive but then salaries tend to be higher to match the cost of living. I found it very friendly and loved the anonimity of living there.

Yea, and you could just get a fake picture anyway.
    I honestly have no idea what the fuck you're blathering on about now, Owen.

I'm not singling you out because we don't know where you're from or the experience of your opinion but I must say, I throw up in my mouth a little when I hear people bad mouth the UK without proper explanation or for the simple fact that they're British.

Yes, we have a horrible history and our communication skills may have not always been on the same page but, in general, they are very nice people.
    I envy the liberalism of the minds, no matter what the Government preach regarding strong conservatism or whatnot.

Dublin is years behind Britain. The infrastructure in basic terms, is laughable.

Ah no, I'm English myself (I always prefer the term English, to British - can't go being lumped in with the Welsh, can I?).

Seriously, London's only a 90 minute drive from here, so we've visited a fair bit (had two uncles who both used to live down there; both moved back). Obviously London's a great place, I mean, it's the capital - it's brimming with nightlife.

But on the other hand, it is very expensive in comparison to the rest of the UK; and is very, very crowded. Can't stand it myself, but if it suits you then that's all that matters. Though, I've got to say, I am impressed with the public transport down there; it's great.

Im a Dublin lass but in fairness its like someone just vomited and said there you go heres your city whereas London has structure and someone actually thought about how to build it love it love it love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

London's a shithole

No its not!!!!

Since when were you aloud to speak to me like that.

Since when were you aloud to speak to me like that.
    Since when were you allowed to desecrate the English language?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ah no, I'm English myself (I always prefer the term English, to British - can't go being lumped in with the Welsh, can I?).

Seriously, London's only a 90 minute drive from here, so we've visited a fair bit (had two uncles who both used to live down there; both moved back). Obviously London's a great place, I mean, it's the capital - it's brimming with nightlife.

But on the other hand, it is very expensive in comparison to the rest of the UK; and is very, very crowded. Can't stand it myself, but if it suits you then that's all that matters. Though, I've got to say, I am impressed with the public transport down there; it's great.

lololol...all I see in your posts in this thread is: troll troll troll

callaway92 wrote: »
    lololol...all I see in your posts in this thread is: troll troll troll
    Why? Enlighten me.

I gave my opinion. I was asked to expand upon that. I do so; giving my opinion based on experience, and the positive and negative points, in my view.

Now would you care to explain exactly how I'm trolling?

• Advertisement

edellc wrote: »
    Im a Dublin lass but in fairness its like someone just vomited and said there you go heres your city whereas London has structure and someone actually thought about how to build it love it love it love it :D

Here Here.

A few people said earlier how expensive everything was but if you forget about the conversion rate for a second, you'll find that most things from alcohol, cigarettes to electrical appliances etc are largely and for the most part cheaper in London.

I hate Irish tax. For Gods sake, Amazon.co.uk won't even deliver here because of the BS VAT policies.

Why would I want to live in a world where my thoughts, needs and wants are an after-thought as opposed to service, education and convenience.

Advertisement