Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallon selling out?

• 18-06-2010 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

Right so guys, this guy posted up his anger about Wings of Redemption on his blog.

http://evadlive.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/wings-of-redemption-alienates-subscribers/

Basically it's because of the stuff he is saying about his 'fans'

And it got me thinking, is this the road I want to go down? No!

He put up a video of himself deleting Friend requests (FR) which I think is so ****ing rude.

He's now charging for FR and sponsors:
    If you want to Promote your channel on mine.
    50 US Dollars
    or 34.6967 Great british pounds.
    or 42 euros
    I'll box for box you for 100 dollars

And apparently, $20 for FR.

I get a lot of FR, like a lot. And I used to ad everyone, but my friend list gets so full so quick so I have to reject anyone that sends me a blank FR. But I always try and reply saying "Where do you know me from, why are you adding me?" etc.

If I ever get like this please give me a slap!

There is no point in asking fans to pay for stuff when your doing it for free. Well not free exactly, I had to pay for my HD PVR and PC upgrade etc, but that was my choice, I wanted to, I like it. Noone made me start recording gameplays.

I can't find the original video at the moment but here it is on Irish ultras channel (Must have pissed off him too, lol)

So what do you guys think? Is this taking the piss, or is he perfectly justified?

_

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bit of a joke TBH, basically if he is willing to do this, record and post videos and ask people to subscribe to his videos, I dont see the point in him asking for money for it or even for FR.

No doubt he will get people handing over money, but its a bit cheeky IMO. If you are good at the game and make high quality videos that people like, I wouldnt personally charge people for that privilege, thats just my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

He gets enough money off machinima like

A serious ammount

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tallon wrote: »
    He gets enough money off machinima like

A serious ammount

I actually didnt even consider that. As I said, its kind of joke to be charging people for FR and the like. Seems like a dick the way he was deleting people and then saying it was $20 to add him.

I enjoy playing the game, im not going to enjoy it anymore by paying someone for the privilege of being their friend and maybe getting to play on there team only everynow and again, becasue they have like a billion fiends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

My first thought is that he is a fookin douche... get a life, its a game etc.

My second thought was hang on, I play to have fun with my mates.. yeah I get frustrated at it sometimes, but primarily its to have fun. I guess therefore he's entitled to take the game as seriously as he likes, same as I do.

So, by all means, he can be a tryhard, obsess about his K/D ration, Accuracy et cetera and not add people as friends. Where he crosses the line is actually charging people for it and publicly p*ssing all over others.

As a side note, I think it raises the issue of players sadly bestowing god-like status on those that happen to be damn good at the game. Maybe when enough people think that the sun shines out of your ass, you start to believe that too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Any idea how much these guys get from machinima?

Like not guys like hutch and seananners who are located in the machinima offices full time but guys like wings who provide videos?

• Advertisement

x43r0 wrote: »
    Any idea how much these guys get from machinima?

Like not guys like hutch and seananners who are located in the machinima offices full time but guys like wings who provide videos?

Well shaggy is only 14 and he gets something like $250 a video iirc*

Not confirmed, i'll root out the exact price now

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Saw WoR's vid when it was released. A true arrogant cretin.

Charging people!? Like seriously, the fuck!? :rolleyes:

You just know there are some moronic fanboys who will pay the $20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

I think its well know that in the gaming community that Wings of Retardation is a dick, but every community needs a villan and its his thing and he keeps getting more popular because of his game play.

To get paid through youtube, you have to be a partner. To get paid by Machinima, you have to be a Machinima Director. There are rules for being both of those. Machinima is the only way to get payed for video game footage, because they have permission from the video game companys to use their copyrights.

I'm pretty sure it goes by views $1,000 per million so maybe $100 per 100,000 views which would'nt be to bad if your someone like Tejb with 160,000 subs he'd be guranteed a couple of hundred per video.

I think if you become a You tube partner 10,000+ subs you also get a percentage of advertising on your page.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Seems like a very douchy move on his part making a video just about not accepting friend requests. We get it, he gets a lot of them. Big bloody deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What an absolute cockbag, he acts like hes an actual soldier or something, its a fcuking video game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

For as long as I've been watching his vids, Wings has always been an Arrogant git..Chris Trout is even worse.:rolleyes:
    What they (Wings and Trout) fail to comprehend (their little brains can't work it out), is that most people don't just sit around playing COD everyday, 90% of people just log on for a few games a day, or even as little as a few games a week.
    These people couldn't give a flying fook about "Spawn-Trapping" or organised gameplay, just Run n' Gun and have a bit of FUN...
    They're not IDIOTS or DOUCHEBAGS cos they ruined "YOUR" :rolleyes: "Spawn-Trap"......if you want competitive gameplay don't do Public matches organise ye're own private matches.... IDIOTS..

RANT COMPLETED...:D

I looked up that Chris Trout guy, christ hes even worse, I bet neither him nor WoR has ever touched a boob in their life..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

WoR is a knobjockey of the highest order. Fact.
    BlameTruth came across similarly in the few videos of him I've watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

This charging to be in someones friendlist is common on youtube so hes not the only one. If people are stupid enough to pay for it then theres no reason why they shouldnt charge.
    But he should learn to deal with having 75000 or so subscribers as obviously people are going to friends request him alot. Just shows anyway that his attitude doesnt pay off as the likes of Tejb have double the amount of subscribers despite not being about on machinima anywhere near as long.

Tejb is such a lovely guy. And Jahazey, check him out, he's mad sound and regularly messages me

Cossax wrote: »
    WoR is a knobjockey of the highest order. Fact.
    BlameTruth came across similarly in the few videos of him I've watched.

True, It's hard impossible to get good COD Gameplay w/Commentary lately.
    I enjoy watching SeaNanners or Hutch (and, not forgetting, Tallon of course :D) but it's mostly "How much do you love me" videos that are out there..by that I mean they're more worried about how many views and Subs they get from a vid than the actual content (gameplay/commentary) of the vid.
    Even Ken Burton (a fella i originally enjoyed watching) thought he was elected by the "YouTube gaming Community" to rid XBL and PSN of bullying, the *KEN campaign, while genuinely being a good idea, but why name it after yourself :confused:...when he first started he got it into his head that either, Sky News, BBC or ITV would interview him about it :)..He sacked one of his "crew" for having the **WING clantag... he then made a "back me or sack me" video cos he thought the campaign was losing support....:rolleyes:..I mean, as Krudler said, It's a fooken video game, :D..

*Keep Everything Nice
    ** WoR made a rival campaign, with the clan tag (WING)
    We Inspire Negative Gaming..:rolleyes:

And what about your clan tag? Oh yeah, thats right...

I Rape Everyone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

fair play to him because its actually a good idea. people with loads of subs have a good chance of getting paid to upload to machinima so paying $50 once off for potentially 1000's of views and subs is worth it if you think your good enough.

youtube players have been begging for money for as long as iv been watching videos so at least he's offering something in return. its all down to jealousy at the end of the day.

fair play to him because its actually a good idea. people with loads of subs have a good chance of getting paid to upload to machinima so paying $50 once off for potentially 1000's of views and subs is worth it if you think your good enough.

I kind of agree with this in the sponsorship sense of the word, like you would actually be getting subs for your money so it's not a horrible idea, but it's the charging for FR and open lobbies that pi$$es me off...

its all down to jealousy at the end of the day.

This is just a stupid thing to say.

The negative thing is getting annoying, nobody can accept they were just killed, and its only a game! guys on youtube screaming abuse at people because they dropshotted them or jumped to avoid a shotgun blast or claymore.
    I dropshotted a guy after diving out a window on terminal one night and in the post game lobby he was whinging saying " like you could do that in real life" yeah well its not real life, its a game. I'm pretty sure I couldnt send a blue ball of flame out of my hands and soaring across a street into your mush if someone was trying to puck the face off me in real life either, doesnt mean I wont do it in fighting games...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

JeanClaude wrote: »
    Even Ken Burton (a fella i originally enjoyed watching) thought he was elected by the "YouTube gaming Community" to rid XBL and PSN of bullying, the *KEN campaign, while genuinely being a good idea, but why name it after yourself :confused:...when he first started he got it into his head that either, Sky News, BBC or ITV would interview him about it :)
    *Keep Everything Nice
    ** WoR made a rival campaign, with the clan tag (WING)
    We Inspire Negative Gaming..:rolleyes:

Ken Burton really lost the plot when he gained a bit of popularity, I enjoyed his videos at first but the the ego kicked in. Every thing was about the KEN tag and how you had to compete to be in his gang. He then started another Youtube account and got another partner account and dropped all the people who got him there. Apparently he's left his job to concentrate on his youtube gaming websites as he's already is a premier director with Machimia.

I still watch his videos because he is a very average gamer like myself,but he always gets slated for him game play and stupid accents

krudler wrote: »
    The negative thing is getting annoying, nobody can accept they were just killed, and its only a game! guys on youtube screaming abuse at people because they dropshotted them or jumped to avoid a shotgun blast or claymore.
    I dropshotted a guy after diving out a window on terminal one night and in the post game lobby he was whinging saying "you could do that in real life" yeah well its not real life, its a game. I'm pretty sure I couldnt send a blue ball of flame out of my hands and soaring across a street into your mush if someone was trying to puck the face off me in real life either, doesnt mean I wont do it in fighting games...

In my experience, people who give out about dropshotting haven't "mastered" the art..:D:D:D
    I hate been killed, by someone jumping while firing a shotgun but thats only cos I can't master it, I shoot everywhere, when i attempt it, bar where i want to, making me look a right Idiot.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Tallon wrote: »
    This is just a stupid thing to say.

wasn't directed at you btw ;). if people are willing to pay to be his friend or play in an open lobby thats their problem. i'm talking about all the young kids who call him fat or a camper and dislike every video he puts out just because he plays to win and hates quick scoping. to see him make a decent amount of money out of it must drive them mad.

also its worth mentioning tejb sells t shirts, the optic clan are sponsored by a company who make modded controllers and pretty much everyone else either has a tool bar or just blatantly ask for donations.

wasn't directed at you btw ;). if people are willing to pay to be his friend or play in an open lobby thats their problem. i'm talking about all the young kids who call him fat or a camper and dislike every video he puts out just because he plays to win and hates quick scoping. to see him make a decent amount of money out of it must drive them mad.

That makes sense :p

I read your post wrong :D

That dislike thing is strange. People dislike videos just for the sake of it or because they think they're getting back at the youtube or something, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

One good idea someone is doing is that to be on their friendlist you had to donate 15 dollars to charity which i thought was cool. The amount of cod commentators now is just stupid, very few are actually interesting to listen to and 95 percent of them are motivated by getting more subs to try to get on machinma rather than focusing on getting decent content up. If you ever watch any WOR videos all he does is camp the whole time to get air support which is so boring to watch and anyone is capable of getting the scores he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 evaDlivE

Hello - I'm the bloggy guy in the OP.

The second vid is an excerpt from a video he put up in possibly April - it was a World at War vid, but I can't find it now. The whole video was him moaning, so the clip is not out of context. It's possible that he set the original to Private, or removed it - he does that.

I also posted a "Who is Wings of Redemption" post on my blog in answer to all the search queries that were ending up there looking for info on him. And I was keeping it updated until about a month a go when I got fed up of adding a new reference to his douchiness every other day.

I prefer now to just get on with my own thing and leave Wings of Redemption to his own ego and the adoration of his douchenozzles... I mean.... subscribers. And if anyone is stupid enough to give him money then they deserve each other.

JeanClaude wrote: »
    In my experience, people who give out about dropshotting haven't "mastered" the art..:D:D:D
    I hate been killed, by someone jumping while firing a shotgun but thats only cos I can't master it, I shoot everywhere, when i attempt it, bar where i want to, making me look a right Idiot.......:D

I dropshot a lot less than I used to,its saved my ass countless times, and yeah, haters be hatin' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

A few people have been lamenting the lack of good commentators to be found. I'd highly recommend "ons1augh7". His vids are really really excellent. I think I found him when Shammy mentioned him in another thread so thumbs up for that one.

just checked him out, he's pretty good. that be like mike series is a great idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I can see where he is coming from in one sense, I play MTDM only and yes its an absolute pain when your carrying a team, ending with the nearest team mate being 15+ kills behind you and loosing cause of it sucks but you cant expect everyone to be as good or better than you. God knows you'll end up playing against them next time and have an absolute session on their behalf.

There is no need for him to act like a w**ker like this though, guy thinks he's a f**king superstar diva! looser.

Advertisement