Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeat offender Stabs man his wife and friend - gets suspended sentence

Options
  • 18-06-2010 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

This person had 20 previous convictions, stabs 3 people leaving a man with life threatening injuries, stabs the mans wife and their companion - and in an Irish court gets a suspended sentence. This is absolutely taking the piss. Does Anyone think this is a reasonable result ? Week after week it's suspended sentences for violent & serious crimes from repeat offenders it is beyond a joke at this stage.
    Man gets suspended sentence for stabbing Polish couple

A man who repeatedly stabbed a Polish national leaving him with life-threatening injuries has received a three-year suspended sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

James Boland (aged 25) of Kerdiff Close, Naas, previously of Kilmahuddrick Grove, Clondalkin, pleaded guilty to intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Gregorz Mylnarski and to assault causing harm to Magdalena Mylnarski, at Maplewood Road, Tallaght on February 10, 2007.

Judge Desmond Hogan said that he accepted that Boland has a child with a serious medical condition who is heavily reliant on both Boland and his partner.

He said that Boland’s son, who suffers from cerebral palsy, and his immediate family would “fare badly” if he were to impose a custodial sentence.

“Should I impose a custodial sentence I would be casting too wide a net and adversely affecting the lives of others who are totally innocent of any wrongdoing,” Judge Hogan said.

Defence counsel, Mr Erwan Mill-Arden SC, told the court that the Probation Service deemed that Boland had “passed the test” and was suitable for community service.

Judge Hogan said the offence was still a “serious and unwarranted” assault but recognized that Boland had consumed a large amount of alcohol prior to the attack and had a severe drinking problem.

He dismissed suggestions that Boland, having consumed two bottles of vodka and eight cans of beer prior to the assault, was pushed over the edge by the consumption of some Micky Finns liquor.

Judge Hogan directed Boland to complete 240 hours of community service and undergo an anger management programme.

Garda Ciaran Loughrey told prosecuting counsel, Mr Vincent Heneghan BL, that Mr Mylnarski was stabbed four times during the attack and that witnesses said that he was kicked several times while he lay on the ground.

Mr Heneghan, reading from the victim impact statement, told the court that Mr Mylnarski experienced major blood loss and suffered damage to his pancreas and bowel.

Gda Loughrey said that Mr Mylnarski’s wife, Magdalena, was also stabbed, once to the thigh, as she tried to protect her husband and that another member of their group received a stab wound to his shoulder during the incident.

Boland does not face any charges in relation to this second man. He had 20 previous convictions including a drink driving charge and a public order offence.

Mr Mill-Arden offered a different explanation for that night’s events to Gda Loughrey.

He suggested that the defendant was heavily intoxicated after drinking close to “two bottles of vodka, eight cans of beer and some Micky Finn” and that shortly before the first altercation with Mr Mylnarski’s group, Boland was involved in an incident with another man who had threatened him in relation to money.

Mr Mill-Arden said that, after the first attack on Mr Mylnarski, Boland had gone to get a knife to follow the man who had earlier threatened him. Gda Loughrey said that he did not believe this to be true.

Mr Mill-Arden submitted that Boland was drunk on the night of the offence and that he had since attempted to address his problems with alcohol by attending a clinic. He said that his client had been in regular employment since he left school, until he was recently made redundant and that he was a family man.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-gets-suspended-sentence-for-stabbing-polish-couple-462234.html#ixzz0rDacih5J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

And get 5 years or selling a bong, makes sense. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gnomercy

Justice system in this country is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

The 'Justice' sytem in this country is a joke, in an unfunny, frustrating and pathetic way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

This is beyond ridiculous to be honest. There needs to be a serious overhaul of sentencing law in this country. The fact that leaving a dangerous and violent man with 20 previous convictions free on the street is the preferred option because his son may fare badly without him is laughable.

From reading the article, I feel that the son would fare much worse with his father around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Morlar wrote: »
    was pushed over the edge by the consumption of some Micky Finns liquor.

Good Jesus....

Twas that last sherry what done it, your honour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

And get 5 years or selling a bong, makes sense. :rolleyes:

Sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh for god's sake - it's unlegal to type that word on the internets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Rabble, rabble, more chips.
    This person had 20 previous convictions, stabs 3 people leaving a man with life threatening injuries, stabs the mans wife and their companion - and in an Irish court gets a suspended sentence. This is absolutely taking the piss. Does Anyone think this is a reasonable result ? Week after week it's suspended sentences for violent & serious crimes from repeat offenders it is beyond a joke at this stage.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-gets-suspended-sentence-for-stabbing-polish-couple-462234.html#ixzz0rDacih5J

Loved the bits you chose to bold and didnt in that story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If you can stab 3 people and get a suspended sentence - if anyone I knew was the victim of a violent crime it would be hard to argue against them taking the law into their own hands. I really think that the people who work as judges have no clue of reality in modern ireland they are either arrogant, stupid or just plain disinterested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

That sentence is a f**king joke. The scumbag wasnt worried about his son when he went drinking "two bottles of vodka and eight cans of beer prior to the assault, was pushed over the edge by the consumption of some Micky Finns liquor"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If he's redundant he's of no financial value to his family. So I don't see why he can't be sent to jail. He's more than likely of no value at all to his family if his got so many convictions. A normal parent wouldn't have the time to rack up a conviction rate like that if they where minding their kids.

This judge must know him or been paid off, it's the only way to make sense of that verdict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wait wait wait.... Didnt we have this thread like, 3 weeks ago?

Well I guess he is a repeat offender. *Badum Dum Tiss*

Overheal wrote: »

Well I guess he is a repeat offender. *Badum Dum Tiss*

Yeah but in that thread yer man was pushed over the edge by the consumption of a large Baileys........... from a shoe.

Either way its a sad situation. Who's the Attorney General (or equivalent) and when is their term up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah but in that thread yer man was pushed over the edge by the consumption of a large Baileys........... from a shoe.

Was he a scaley man fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Either way its a sad situation. Who's the Attorney General (or equivalent) and when is their term up?
    When their good and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No, this one didn't start with "Only in America".:P

Was he a scaley man fish?

Correct.
    And now for your prize.............. one ticket to a party where people wee on each other.....

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

gazzer wrote: »
    That sentence is a f**king joke. The scumbag wasnt worried about his son when he went drinking "two bottles of vodka and eight cans of beer prior to the assault, was pushed over the edge by the consumption of some Micky Finns liquor"

Spot on!! Not only is it a bloody joke but it's scary. There are nut jobs out there just got news that it's ok to go and stab who they please as sure they can just blame it on the drink and they have a sick family member that they need to look after. The whole system is a joke. This judge should be sent packing as he clearly can't do his job!! :mad:

mikom wrote: »
    Correct.
    And now for your prize.............. one ticket to a party where people wee on each other.....
    ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

“Should I impose a custodial sentence I would be casting too wide a net and adversely affecting the lives of others who are totally innocent of any wrongdoing,” Judge Hogan said.

Okay.
    Judge Hogan directed Boland to complete 240 hours of community service and undergo an anger management programme.

WFT? That's six months work. For mutilating two people with a knife.

• Advertisement

eightyfish wrote: »
    Okay.

WFT? That's six months work. For mutilating two people with a knife.

3 people. Also community service assuming this person actually shows up is hardly 'work'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Was the attacker Irish? Just out of curiosity.

Was the attacker Irish? Just out of curiosity.

James Boland (aged 25) of Kerdiff Close, Naas, previously of Kilmahuddrick Grove, Clondalkin - seems to be. If only he his victims were black. He'd get a proper sentence then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

But is there room in our prisons for all these scumbags??? Probably not, thats why he is out wandering around the place. We just need a few more prisons, then the justice system can start cracking down harder on criminals.

*for now, billymitchell joins back of boards.ie lynch mob "rabble rabble rabble rabble"

*for now, billymitchell joins back of boards.ie lynch mob "rabble rabble rabble rabble"

Obviously a rabble rabble rabble internet thread is not going to achieve much but at the same time the more attention and profile these cases get the more pressure will go on politicians who will eventually have to do something about it. The head in the sand approach is guaranteed to make not the slightest difference, ever.

I see your point, but wouldn't a better route be to talk to your local politicians about this instead of banging on about it here??

I see your point, but wouldn't a better route be to talk to your local politicians about this instead of banging on about it here??

Possibly, yes. Possibly not. The more people are aware of these issues/cases the better in my view. The constant drip-drip-drip affect of week after week scumbag career criminals getting suspended or light sentences has a cumulative negative effect to the point where many people just switch off which is the worst possible response. I see no problem with highlighting them on an ongoing basis to the point where people are reminded to the point where they also will be more likely to remind their own politicians come next election. Which in my opinion is better than tutting quietly and ignoring it.

Possibly, yes. Possibly not. The more people are aware of these issues/cases the better in my view. The constant drip-drip-drip affect of week after week scumbag career criminals getting suspended or light sentences has a cumulative negative effect to the point where many people just switch off which is the worst possible response. I see no problem with highlighting them on an ongoing basis to the point where people are reminded to the point where they also will be more likely to remind their own politicians come next election. Which in my opinion is better than tutting quietly and ignoring it.

Fair point. The sad thing is the no political party seems to give a fudge about this. And if they were to give a fudge, I cant imagine any community wanting to have any newly built prisons put in their towns/villages.

God be with the good old days when we could ship em all off to Australia :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Fair point. The sad thing is the no political party seems to give a fudge about this. And if they were to give a fudge, I cant imagine any community wanting to have any newly built prisons put in their towns/villages.

God be with the good old days when we could ship em all off to Australia :rolleyes:

There's 1 just down the road from Clondalkin... where he's originally from...

Either how... the fact that he's got a disabled kid should not excuse him for any sort of attack on someone else. Fúcking solicitors playing out to bleeding hearts...

• Advertisement

Ah i'm sure he's just misunderstood young man.. That anger management course will definitely sort him right out.

I'm fully sure that if I got in a fight, a knack pulled a knife and I stabbed him back, i'd get a few years.. Scummers just seem to fairly immune to prison.

Advertisement