Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Beers [July]

Options
  • 01-07-2010 2:30pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, since the Boards UK forum is pretty much no more, it seems best to organise any future London Beers through here. Hopefully we'll get a bit more visibility this way.

First, we need a date. Second, we need a venue. I'm putting a poll here for people to vote what date they'd prefer. If you're interested in coming along, post in the thread to say so (and say what area you're living in) so I can get an idea of numbers and spread. Then we can pick a location.

When would you prefer the July Beers to happen 8 votes

Friday 9th July
    0%
    Saturday 10th July
    0%
    Friday 16th July
    0%
    Saturday 17th July
    0%
    Friday 23rd July
    12%
    D-Generate 1 vote
    Saturday 24th July
    37%
    afatbollixSinallCheetara 3 votes
    Friday 30th July
    12%
    cats.pyjamas 1 vote
    Saturday 31st July
    12%
    m@cc@ 1 vote
    Other - please post and specify a date
    25%
    Fysh54kroc 2 votes

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ooh I might come along to this if I'm able! I live really near Clapham Junction so it's easy enough for me to get to most places. I wasn't sure what to put in the poll - I have a birthday party to go to on the 10th, and I can't do the weekend of the 24th cos I'm (hopefully) going to be in Ireland, but otherwise I'm easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Friday 23rd July
    Been here a year now and still know nobody outside of uni. Would definitely be interested in this. I live in Tooting Broadway (god help me). I can only make this weekend and next weekend unfortunately! Saturday 17th being the ideal date.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

D-Generate wrote: »
    Been here a year now and still know nobody outside of uni. Would definitely be interested in this. I live in Tooting Broadway (god help me). I can only make this weekend and next weekend unfortunately! Saturday 17th being the ideal date.

I know there was at least one other person (probably 2) from the UK board living down that area, but I'm not sure how active they are round here. As for the beers, I haven't set a date yet - in the past I've found that unless we get a bunch of people agreeing on a date that definitely suits, we only get a couple of people along, and I'd prefer to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Can't do the 24th [neither can you Fysh] Maybe the weekend after or during the week?

There's a really great pub near Clapham Junction or near Angel tub stop [will have to go look up names but the Clapham Junction one is pretty nice]...just throwing out some places outside zone 1, know it seems to cause major issues for people to leave zone 1 but most of the pubs in zone 1 are packed at weekends, are full of tourists and aren't that great TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Saturday 24th July
    Friday 23rd for me.. I live out in Hampton but with the train can get everywhere..

Been here a month and need to get to know some people.. Getting a bit boring..

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I take it we're not meeting tonight then? :D I can't next weekend cos I'm going home, but any other time is grand for me

Saturday 24th July
    So anyone know a good pub then?? Im easy..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cheetara

Saturday 24th July
    So did anyone decide on a date yet? There seem to be a few around this Friday so let me know if anyone fancies a drink. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Unfortunately I can't make this Friday, but it does seem to be the best date for folks overall so if ye want to go for it, we should co-ordinate through this thread and get someone to be the contact for the night.

The first question is where? Friday nights in Zone 1 are mental unless you've either booked a room or know somewhere quiet - so I'd be inclined to suggest somewhere like the Ship & Shovell as it's had a good track record of not being too busy over the weekend in the past. But it depends what suits those of you who can make it.

Second question is what time? Do you want to head straight from work?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Saturday 24th July
    Cheetara wrote: »
    So did anyone decide on a date yet? There seem to be a few around this Friday so let me know if anyone fancies a drink. :)

Yes, me!!!!!!! After work is probably best for me, but I can be flexible

• Advertisement

Saturday 24th July
    Im not working Friday or Saturday so Im easy..

So Ship & Shovell then? Do I just show up and go Hi Im Mr Bollix?

afatbollix wrote: »
    Im not working Friday or Saturday so Im easy..

So Ship & Shovell then? Do I just show up and go Hi Im Mr Bollix?

The best bet is to have a starting point when people reckon they can get there (say between 7 & 7:30) and have everyone who's going along post in-thread to say so, then exchange mobile numbers by PM.

This is easier if one person acts as co-ordinator as they can also turn up wearing a silly hat/loud shirt/no pants/whatever and text everyone else to say "I'm the person wearing a silly hat/loud shirt/no pants/whatever, come over and join us".

Normally I'd do this (well, not the "no pants" bit but you get the idea) but since I'm not around it's probably a good idea for someone else to take the lead. Any takers?

Saturday 24th July
    I'm happy to do it! And as I have red curly hair I am usually easily spotted.

Saturday 24th July
    So have we agreed 7.30pm in the Ship and Shovell? If so, PM me and i'll send you on my mobile number.

Sinall - I'll keep an eye out for the red curly hair :)

Saturday 24th July
    Cheetara and I have each other's mobile numbers already, but if anyone else wants mine just PM me! See you tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just discovered this thread a bit late (like now); so no go for me having to travel down from South Yorkshire.

Have fun folks.

Saturday 24th July
    Hope to see some of you there tonight! I might not get a chance to check in again before I head there, so if you do PM for my mobile number and I don't pick it up, apologies. If that does happen you can identify me by my curly red hair which is in a ponytail today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Won't make it tonight as going out in kilburn to see a few bands, but next time hopefully.

Saturday 24th July
    I answered the phone of a colleague who had left the office and am now working on something super-urgent that is needed tonight. Hopefully I won't be late but I have texted Cheetara to let her know!

Saturday 24th July
    As Sinall is stuck in work we are going to meet at 8pm instead. If anyone else is coming you can PM and i'll send you on my number?

• Advertisement

Saturday 24th July
    Cheetara and I met up at the Ship and Shovell. Great pub, I really liked it!

Saturday 24th July
    Sinall wrote: »
    Cheetara and I met up at the Ship and Shovell. Great pub, I really liked it!

Great choice of pub and was lovely to meet Sinall. Hopefully we'll get a few more for the next one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cats.pyjamas

Friday 30th July
    Yo! I would love to have some London beers, new to London so all Lonely :'( I know it is very sad isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yo! I would love to have some London beers, new to London so all Lonely :'( I know it is very sad isn't it

Not at all! I'm here nearly seven weeks and it does get lonely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cats.pyjamas

Friday 30th July
    Id be up for this weekend anyway :D

Advertisement