Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

slow drivers time of the year

Options
  • 05-07-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

was back in the rents for a few weeks and drove off to cork today, and there were at least 10 cars driving at about 20 mph (i dont do km/hr...!).
    id say this carry on is rife across the land? cops should pull over these eejits.

good job my ac is fixed....!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its annoying alright.

Coming back to cork from clonakilty on sunday, guy in front of me doing about 70kph on a 100kph stretch of road. I know its everyones right not to have to do the speed limit if they don't want to but come on?!!
    The road was too busy to overtake so i was stuck behind this moron for about 5 miles with the guy behind me pissing me off because he's sitting on my bumper as if its my fault.

We get to a dual lane stretch fast lane/slow lane....this idiot then decides to come up to the speed limit because he sees me moving over to the fastlane to go past him.

The same thing happened to me on this road last year going in the other direction. This mad bitch actually sped up as i tried to overtake her because she was doing about 40mph. Made sure i had room to go around her & as i was passing she put the foot down? Lethal.

Some twisted fcukers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gazzydee

I live on the southside of dublin and if u want to see stupid and slow drivers try drive along the stretch of the M50 from Cherrywood up to Tallaght!!!

Everyday i drive this stretch of the motorway and i thought it was bad before they added an extra lane to make 3 but now drivers are nearly afraid tu drive onthe very inside lane as if its the unknown!!! but when i decide to jump in to skip by the traffic there always seems tu be a do gooder who feels the need tu jump infront of me and slow me bk down!!!

People of this country do not understand the basic rules of a motorway as they sit in the overtaking lane not overtaking then have a problem when you come along behind them!!!!!!!!

i think der needs tu be a lesson or a part of the driving test that actually teaches people how to drive on motorways since there seems tu be a serious lack of understanding!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Thought I was going mad and was the only person with this opinion! Drivers in this country are unreal, so many slow drivers which is a danger in itself. The speed limit is designed in such a way that that speed is the most appropriate for that stretch of road. I don't think it should be up to the driver's discretion whether he should drive at the limit suggested or choose to drive 20km slower than the limit. They should drive at the limit that applies, no more or less.

I often have a long commute from Galway city to Limerick city and my God what a sh1t journey. From Clarinbridge to Crusheen is torture. Its a reasonably safe and solid stretch of road, yet I have never got a nice run on it doing the speed limit, which is 100km/h for the most part. Majority of drivers do 70km/h to 80km/h the entire way. Its madness. Thank God for the motorway after Crusheen (which will eventually extend all the way to Galway city). Does anyone have any place to be anymore or do they just drive for the craic, pissing everyone else off that has to go to work? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Gazzydee wrote: »
    I live on the southside of dublin and if u want to see stupid and slow drivers try drive along the stretch of the M50 from Cherrywood up to Tallaght!!!

Everyday i drive this stretch of the motorway and i thought it was bad before they added an extra lane to make 3 but now drivers are nearly afraid tu drive onthe very inside lane as if its the unknown!!! but when i decide to jump in to skip by the traffic there always seems tu be a do gooder who feels the need tu jump infront of me and slow me bk down!!!

People of this country do not understand the basic rules of a motorway as they sit in the overtaking lane not overtaking then have a problem when you come along behind them!!!!!!!!

i think der needs tu be a lesson or a part of the driving test that actually teaches people how to drive on motorways since there seems tu be a serious lack of understanding!!!!!

For probably the first time in years (and after reading some threads on here about motorway driving) I decided to pay attention to how people (myself included) drive the M50 yesterday. Dear lord some people havent a clue... At one point there was a steady stream of cars doing about 50mph in the middle lane, the inside lane was completely clear for about 3 miles and the outside lane was like a racetrack. I wanted to do the speed limit, but couldnt get into the outside lane and didnt want to undertake, meaning I was stuck in a lane full of morons who quite frankly are not competant enough to be behind the wheel of a car. How hard is it to either get up to speed on a straight open stretch of motorway, or have some common courtesy (never mind following the law) and stick to the inside lane if you want to crawl 15mph+ below the speed limit?

BESman wrote: »
    Thought I was going mad and was the only person with this opinion! Drivers in this country are unreal, so many slow drivers which is a danger in itself. The speed limit is designed in such a way that that speed is the most appropriate for that stretch of road. I don't think it should be up to the driver's discretion whether he should drive at the limit suggested or choose to drive 20km slower than the limit. They should drive at the limit that applies, no more or less.

I often have a long commute from Galway city to Limerick city and my God what a sh1t journey. From Clarinbridge to Crusheen is torture. Its a reasonably safe and solid stretch of road, yet I have never got a nice run on it doing the speed limit, which is 100km/h for the most part. Majority of drivers do 70km/h to 80km/h the entire way. Its madness. Thank God for the motorway after Crusheen (which will eventually extend all the way to Galway city). Does anyone have any place to be anymore or do they just drive for the craic, pissing everyone else off that has to go to work? :mad:

With the exception of country and B roads (is that what they are called over here?) I agree; on a straight open stretch of motorway there is little excuse for not driving to the speed limit.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    For probably the first time in years (and after reading some threads on here about motorway driving) I decided to pay attention to how people (myself included) drive the M50 yesterday. Dear lord some people havent a clue... At one point there was a steady stream of cars doing about 50mph in the middle lane, the inside lane was completely clear for about 3 miles and the outside lane was like a racetrack. I wanted to do the speed limit, but couldnt get into the outside lane and didnt want to undertake, meaning I was stuck in a lane full of morons who quite frankly are not competant enough to be behind the wheel of a car. How hard is it to either get up to speed on a straight open stretch of motorway, or have some common courtesy (never mind following the law) and stick to the inside lane if you want to crawl 15mph+ below the speed limit?

And i bet you would feel the same about people infront of you coming on to a motorway who refuse tu get up tu the speed limit before merging and instead sit at 40mph and merging then onto the motorway which causes everyone on the inside lane to pull out on to the overtaking lane which causes ructions!!! and people still wont speed up to overtake these people so they can get back into the inside lane!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Well in England if your driving too slow youll get pulled over for dangerous driving...

Here unfortunately there is such a culture of speed related deaths that the law is somewhat backward...

Dunno how many times i was told when i first started driving that " speed limits are limits not targets"

While i agree that some roads have stupidly high speed limits, on motorways and dual carriage ways theres no excuse not to be travelling at the speed limit.

What i cant understand is the people that travel at say 90 km/hr on a primary road and not 100 km/hr when its perfectly safe, nothing grinds my gears more (with the exception of overtaking lane hoggers)

Drove from Limerick to Dublin there Sunday night, when i got to the Nass bypass i moved into the inside lane, stuck to the 100 and was flying by people in the middle and overtaking lane, i know im not supposed to but i didnt give a ****, they were the ones that caused me to pass them. I only moved out of my lane when i got to newlands cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I went to Duberlin yesterday....got to the N7 and there were two guys in the middle lane doing about 70k towing horseboxes...just caught up to them and one decided to overtake the other....71k in lane 3....:rolleyes: (Yes it was a Transit ...)...feck I hate that road....I only want to do the limit and Im happy in lane 1 (all on my own..), so whats with these gob****es in lane 2 practically parked ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I think a lot of slow driving is pure Irish stinginess. 'sure, if i went faster i'd be burning more fuel (in my 1.4 base model corolla)'
    So matter how clear, smooth, safe,empty the road some Loolaa will be crawling to save themselves a fiver. GET A PUSHBIKE YOU IMBECILE!!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

i think we should be able to deal with these people on our own and same with cyclists that like to cycle infront of you when you go around a corner!

these two kinds of people are of the same kind! a danger to irish roads! ive even spotted cyclists on motorways! and where are the guards ?!

too busy pulling people over tht go 3kmh over the speed limit!!

we shud just kill them its as simple as that! :P

Thats how enraged i am by these kinds of people lol !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭blackbox

corktina wrote: »
    I went to Duberlin yesterday....got to the N7 and there were two guys in the middle lane doing about 70k towing horseboxes...just caught up to them and one decided to overtake the other....71k in lane 3....:rolleyes: (Yes it was a Transit ...)...feck I hate that road....I only want to do the limit and Im happy in lane 1 (all on my own..), so whats with these gob****es in lane 2 practically parked ?...

You want to be careful using that lane 1 on the N7. Most people seem to believe that there are land-mines in it. That's the only explanation for the way hardly anyone uses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I pass them out at the earliest opportunity, they haven't a clue how to drive and could cause a 10 pileup accident any minute. braking suddenly (while driving at a highly dangerous speed of course), swapping lanes, pulling over to another side of the road, being scared ****less to pass out a 100 ton truck and prefer to stay stuck up its arse, thus insuring zero visibility, any sort of rubbish.

idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

A sure sign you're dealing with one of the worst of them is when they are doing 60kph and see a 100kph sign - what do they do - BRAKE!
    Now before someone comes along and says that just means they don't see too good, c'mon - if they can't make out that there are 3 digits on the sign they should not be on the road, and they are a moron for not realising that. Or maybe they do realise it and as with everything else in Ireland they are so much more important than everyone else so they must be an exception to the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

langdang wrote: »
    Or maybe they do realise it and as with everything else in Ireland they are so much more important than everyone else so they must be an exception to the rules

Drivers in this country suffer from selfishness. They have no awareness of those around them and other road users. Its the attitude of "I'll do the speed I want and I don't care who I hold up". I spend a large amount of time looking in my rear view mirror as I don't like to hold up a driver who is clearly in a rush. The majority of roads, even the very bad ones, have hard shoulders and no one uses them. Trucks are particularly guilty of this. I don't see why it is such an inconvenience for a slow moving vehicle to pull into the hard shoulder for a little while to let traffic pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

I believe it's illegal to drive in the hard shoulder. Although it's kind of nice thing to do if you're hauling a trailer or holding up the flow of traffic. It’s a kind of grey area really.

As mentioned above one of the more scary things I’ve seen here in Ireland is the habit of some drivers to accelerate when you’re overtaking. This is normally not an issue if you’re driving a performance car, as a quick dab of right hoof will fax that problem immediately.

The problem for me personally is two small cars coming towards you on an R or L type road (no hard shoulder).
    Car A overtakes Car B.
    Car B wakes up and starts to match the speed of Car A.
    Car A is determined to overtake.
    Both cars have equal power.
    The laws of physics then conspire to have two parallel cars accelerating towards me on a small road with nowhere for me to dive. That is scary.:)

Cheers,
    CarMuppet

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

BESman wrote: »
    Drivers in this country suffer from selfishness..

This sums up all the issues really discussed on this forum.

EDIT: And it's just not this country... it's worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

CarMuppet wrote: »
    This sums up all the issues really discussed on this forum.

EDIT: And it's just not this country... it's worldwide.

Ireland is worst than most, I have done my bit of travelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I believe it's illegal to drive in the hard shoulder.

I thought the same but was corrected.

If it is safe to do so you can drive in the hard shoulder to allow others overtake you

However what really pisses me off is when people stop in hard shoulders, or in the driving lanes to answer mobile phones. It is incredibly dangerous to do so and often people do it on turns etc.

I was explaining this to the girlfriend (she is learning to drive and I have terrified her) on Friday on the way to Cork when up ahead I saw an Avensis swerve onto the hard shoulder and brake hard so that they could answer the mobile. Unfortunately the lorry behind them ended up on top of them. Nasty looking accident caused by stupidity of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 45,187 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

was driving into work yesterday, down a nice wide straight road (stupid 60k limit though) and managed to overtake someone comfortably without breaking the speedlimit. 3 cars behind me did the same.

On the M50 there is a moron in a green renault (every morning around 7.15 near dundrum) and he sits in the middle lane doing about 80. I have tried over taking him and pulling back into the left most lane almost immediately (cause there is always plenty of room) in order to give him the hint that it is what he should be doing, but he doesn't get the message. He pulled out in front of me today (going 20kmph less than I was doing (I was doing 120 in the 120 zone) forcing me to hit the brakes. I hate that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

On the M50 there is a moron in a green renault (every morning around 7.15 near dundrum) and he sits in the middle lane doing about 80. I have tried over taking him and pulling back into the left most lane almost immediately (cause there is always plenty of room) in order to give him the hint that it is what he should be doing, but he doesn't get the message.

I always do this to the middle lane hoggers but like your own experience, they never quite get it....although it's on the N7 and as mentioned above, the left lane must be landmined!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

djimi wrote: »

Wonder what they guy behind you thought? ...................

E39MSport wrote: »
    Wonder what they guy behind you thought? ...................

Haha never thought of it like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I believe it's illegal to drive in the hard shoulder.

I don't think it is on a standard 2 way road with hard shoulders
    It is illegal on a motorway though.

Why do so many people refuse to drive just inside the hard shoulder when its safe to do so, and let traffic overtake??

Because of their stupidity they force overtaking traffic onto oncoming lanes

Again today as i came onto the M50 at cherrywood heading northbound i came on to the slip road and accelrated to get up tu the speed of the motorway and the car infront of me i assumed was doing the same untill i realised she was stikking tu roughly 70kph coming on to 120kph stretch of road there was a car behind me doing the same speed as me if not faster and if i had have hit the brakes i would have caused a huge accident. so instead i drove at the speed and checked my mirrors blind spot no cars behind me and indicated and pulled out. Nothing i did was illegal or dangerous to me anyway as i did all the usual checks before coming on to the motorway, and the response from the driver i got was flashing of the lights and fingers and hands out the window!! from the woman i might add, in the black suzuki swift doing nearly half the speed recommended by the RSA on this stretch of motorway!!

Ireland claims to have such a high death rate relating to "speed" but there researchers sit in an office and read reports. I could safely say that the majority of road deaths and accidents are down to SLOW drivers!

Jeremy Clarkson once said "Speed does not kill, its the people who brake and go below the speed limit that causes the car driving behind to have to hit the brakes that causes the accidents"

The sad thing is that no matter what you say no one will listen!!

On the Autobahn in Germany you get kicked off the motorway for goin under 80mph on some parts if that rule was enforced in here in Ireland then there would be almost 0 accidents and road deaths on motorways!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

salonfire wrote: »
    Why do so many people refuse to drive just inside the hard shoulder when its safe to do so, and let traffic overtake??

Because of their stupidity they force overtaking traffic onto oncoming lanes

Some people refuse,myself included,because it's never too safe to drive in there.On a straight stretch with no junctions,yes,other than that you can go and twiddle if you think I'm going endangering the life of not so much myself but of others who may come out of a side road or anything unexpected.If you want to die by all means,overtake me into oncoming traffic,i didnt force you into the move,you took the risk not the opportunity.If you cause any driver to alter his course by taking evasive action to avoid you,it's a plain and simple dangerous driving conviction,have fun with your insurance premium after that one :).

It has been said on this thread before,Irish drivers lack respect and courtesy for other road users,they are half asleep most of the time.They cant read the road ahead or anticipate other road users movements,simple tunnel vision,no spacial awareness at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

using the hard shoulder to let someone overtake is not illegal. Slow drivers please take note.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/road-markings.html

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Gazzydee wrote: »
    On the Autobahn in Germany you get kicked off the motorway for goin under 80mph on some parts if that rule was enforced in here in Ireland then there would be almost 0 accidents and road deaths on motorways!!!!!!

I love the stuff some people write here:rolleyes: .

If only it were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Felt this way with some lad doing 40km/ph on the 100km/ph N81 all the way from Blessington to Tallaght yesterday. No opportunity to overtake and it was actually painful to go that slow. 60 under the speed limit is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its all well and good, if someone is doing the speed limit, but when you have someone that is driving up yer arse on any kind of road, just makes me want to go slower if I am not in a rush (and I am talking about minor roads that have no hard shoulder)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I wish people would learn how to be drive like they do in South Africa.
    Over there, many of the roads are single lane but they have a decent hard shoulder.
    If you come up behind someone, they are expected to pull into the hard shoulder and let you overtake them safely.
    I never once had someone who didn't do this when I tried to overtake them.
    Also, if you pull in to let someone overtake, they always acknowledge you and flash their lights or wave to say thanks.

It was a pleasure to drive over there.
    Instead, we're stuck with the morons here who are so self-absorbed, they think they're the only people on the road.

Advertisement