Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Motorway Users!!!!!

Options
  • 06-07-2010 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Again today as i came onto the M50 at cherrywood heading northbound i came on to the slip road and accelrated to get up tu the speed of the motorway and the car infront of me i assumed was doing the same untill i realised she was stikking tu roughly 70kph coming on to 120kph stretch of road there was a car behind me doing the same speed as me if not faster and if i had have hit the brakes i would have caused a huge accident. so instead i drove at the speed and checked my mirrors blind spot no cars behind me and indicated and pulled out. Nothing i did was illegal or dangerous to me anyway as i did all the usual checks before coming on to the motorway, and the response from the driver i got was flashing of the lights and fingers and hands out the window!! from the woman i might add, in the black suzuki swift doing nearly half the speed recommended by the RSA on this stretch of motorway!!

Ireland claims to have such a high death rate relating to "speed" but there researchers sit in an office and read reports. I could safely say that the majority of road deaths and accidents are down to SLOW drivers!

Jeremy Clarkson once said "Speed does not kill, its the people who brake and go below the speed limit that causes the car driving behind to have to hit the brakes that causes the accidents"

The sad thing is that no matter what you say no one will listen!!

On the Autobahn in Germany you get kicked off the motorway for goin under 80mph on some parts if that rule was enforced in here in Ireland then there would be almost 0 accidents and road deaths on motorways!!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

next time, report them.
    ring the garda and tell them the make and model and reg of the car, where they are and tell them they are driving dangerously slow on the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Would it have killed you to wait until you were both safely on the motorway before making any move? You need to keep in the flow of traffic in that situation.

Getting up to speed is fine and dandy but you need to pay attention to the car in front and matching their speed at a safe distance. Not slamming on the brakes because you judged it wrong.

And I don't mean to sound all high and mighty by saying that. Agree that slow drivers are a menace on the roads but you just need to take it handy when you're stuck behind them;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gazzydee

Ive done that countless of times. The guards dont bother with anything like that.

Plus where would I have the free hands to take down this information or even take my eyes off the road for that matter lol !

EPM wrote: »
    Would it have killed you to wait until you were both safely on the motorway before making any move? You need to keep in the flow of traffic in that situation.

Getting up to speed is fine and dandy but you need to pay attention to the car in front and matching their speed at a safe distance. Not slamming on the brakes because you judged it wrong.

And I don't mean to sound all high and mighty by saying that. Agree that slow drivers are a menace on the roads but you just need to take it handy when you're stuck behind them;)

I didnt have to slam on the brakes but it was the reaction i got that pissed me off as if i was in the wrong when she is an accident waiting to happen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Gazzydee wrote: »
    Again today as i came onto the M50 at cherrywood heading northbound i came on to the slip road and accelrated to get up tu the speed of the motorway and the car infront of me i assumed was doing the same untill i realised she was stikking tu roughly 70kph coming on to 120kph stretch of road there was a car behind me doing the same speed as me if not faster and if i had have hit the brakes i would have caused a huge accident. so instead i drove at the speed and checked my mirrors blind spot no cars behind me and indicated and pulled out. Nothing i did was illegal or dangerous to me anyway as i did all the usual checks before coming on to the motorway, and the response from the driver i got was flashing of the lights and fingers and hands out the window!! from the woman i might add, in the black suzuki swift doing nearly half the speed recommended by the RSA on this stretch of motorway!!

Ireland claims to have such a high death rate relating to "speed" but there researchers sit in an office and read reports. I could safely say that the majority of road deaths and accidents are down to SLOW drivers!

Jeremy Clarkson once said "Speed does not kill, its the people who brake and go below the speed limit that causes the car driving behind to have to hit the brakes that causes the accidents"

On the Autobahn in Germany you get kicked off the motorway for goin under 80mph on some parts if that rule was enforced in here in Ireland then there would be almost 0 accidents and road deaths on motorways!!!!!!!
    Solution: pull in, in front of the slow moving car and gradually reduce your speed until you are going slower than she is. She then pulls into outer lane to get by you. You then match her speed in the inside lane, so that she cant get back in again, leaving her stranded in the outer lane. You only need to do this for a short time and she'll either have to increase her speed to an appropriate motorway speed or she'll get blasted out of it by other traffic. Either way she'll have learnt that she was doing a stupid speed and she'll learn a lesson.
    One at a time, you'll learn 'em:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Have to agree this is one of the most frustrating things I find about driving, best of roads in the Country and drivers doing 60kpm in a 100kpm zone and thinking they're being the safe ones. If the guards can give penalty points for speeding they really should do the same for lack of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Solution: pull in, in front of the slow moving car and gradually reduce your speed until you are going slower than she is. She then pulls into outer lane to get by you. You then match her speed in the inside lane, so that she cant get back in again, leaving her stranded in the outer lane. You only need to do this for a short time and she'll either have to increase her speed to an appropriate motorway speed or she'll get blasted out of it by other traffic. Either way she'll have learnt that she was doing a stupid speed and she'll learn a lesson.

Thats also incredibly irresponsible... Regardless of the other person driving like a granny, what you suggested is just plain idiotic..

Another one . . . Truck in the overtaking lane overtaking a truck, or shud i say trying to!!!!!!!

Truck on inside lane doing 75kph, truck in the overtaking lane doing 75.0001kph!!!!!!

Another one . . . Truck in the overtaking lane overtaking a truck, or shud i say trying to!!!!!!!

Truck on inside lane doing 75kph, truck in the overtaking lane doing 75.0001kph!!!!!!
    again, when truck pulls back in, overtake him and pull in further up, slowing your speed down. Then when he decides to overtake you, match his speed and leave him out there stranded in the overtaking lane, where he is not allowed to be. Leave him there for a mile (as long as you dont have any traffic to hold you back in the "slow" lane). He will be suitably chastened by the experience to think twice about doing it again. One at a tiime, you'll learn 'em:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

I failed my first driving test for driving too slowly. 30-something kph in a 50kph zone, I believe.

It's also common to see minimum speeds in France, Spain and Portugal, and probably every other sensible country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Trying to "teach" people how to drive faster just makes you as "clever" as them trying to prove to you that slower is safer.

It's a feckin' motorway, not the kindergarden sandpit. Keep your safe distances, overtake normally, drive safely and avoid provocation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

These are new and exciting topics.

U may have failed for driving too slow but it still does not excuse the fact that the Guards here do not enforce motorway rules here properly because everyday i see the same thing happening.

Maybe you yourself are one of the culprits!!

peasant wrote: »
    Trying to "teach" people how to drive faster just makes you as "clever" as them trying to prove to you that slower is safer.

It's a feckin' motorway, not the kindergarden sandpit. Keep your safe distances, overtake normally, drive safely and avoid provocation
    Relax peasant, I'm being tongue in cheek - if i'm on the motorway I'm usually in a hurry and just want to get to my destination. I have thought about it for some special jerk-offs but have never done it. I was a passenger in a car where this was done though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

U may have failed for driving too slow but it still does not excuse the fact that the Guards here do not enforce motorway rules here properly because everyday i see the same thing happening.

Its not illegal to not do the speed limit ya know.. (UNFORTUNATELY)

Suppose driving along on a motorway doing 50km could be classified as careless driving.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    These are new and exciting topics.
    You are an exciting person ... where is the sarcasm button?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

cronin_j wrote: »

Suppose driving along on a motorway doing 50km could be classified as careless driving.

I keep to a safe speed to match conditions, thank you. And the fail was in a residential area, not the motorway.

Obstructing traffic, dangerous driving, careless driving, being an ass hole!

just some of the ways to describe these drivers!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

My sister is one of these crazy people who like to slow down before joining the motorway from the slip road. She will actually brake before moving from the slip into traffic! The first time i was in the car with her when she tried this i nearly had a sh1t hemmorage, but she see's nothing wrong with it-in fact it doesn't even register with her that she is doing it, and will deny her own actions! The sorry fact is that she is only driving 5 years, so she can hardly blame her instructor on not teaching her the modern way of driving, and even worse than that, she won't allow me to have her children in the car when i am driving because i am a "bad driver" (I passed first time with very few faults and i have had no accidents-she failed twice, and has had several minor accidents, many of which while she had the kids in the car-obviously I am a bad driver!!) She alos likes to hog the outside lane while crawling along, and will berate any driver who is forced to undertake. Its an attitude thing, she is of the opinion that she is entitled to drive in this manner as she has her little pink piece of paper that says she is entitled to drive.

• Advertisement

deadbloke wrote: »
    I keep to a safe speed to match conditions, thank you. And the fail was in a residential area, not the motorway.

Im not talking about residential areas or rush hour! im talking about people at 12-3pm on the motorways with barely any cars in sight causing havoc!!!

shinikins wrote: »
    My sister is one of these crazy people who like to slow down before joining the motorway from the slip road. She will actually brake before moving from the slip into traffic! The first time i was in the car with her when she tried this i nearly had a sh1t hemmorage, but she see's nothing wrong with it-in fact it doesn't even register with her that she is doing it, and will deny her own actions! The sorry fact is that she is only driving 5 years, so she can hardly blame her instructor on not teaching her the modern way of driving, and even worse than that, she won't allow me to have her children in the car when i am driving because i am a "bad driver" (I passed first time with very few faults and i have had no accidents-she failed twice, and has had several minor accidents, many of which while she had the kids in the car-obviously I am a bad driver!!) She alos likes to hog the outside lane while crawling along, and will berate any driver who is forced to undertake. Its an attitude thing, she is of the opinion that she is entitled to drive in this manner as she has her little pink piece of paper that says she is entitled to drive.

i have been in a car with many people who do that kind of thing! but i mean yeah it can be down to attitude and all of that but ill admit i have bit of a led foot at times but i have never prevented someone from going faster than me ill happily pull in and alot of drivers to the same and a few even thank me for pulling in and i thank people alot to. its the way a motorway way should act. its just dangerous otherwise like ive explained what happend to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I truely believe that to qualify for your driving license there should be a motorway test. So many people on the roads simply can't drive safely and reponsibly on the motorway, driving at extremely low speeds, darting out of their lane without indication or even checking their mirrors. An Irish motorway is probably the most dangerous place to drive on, when it should be one of the safest, regardless of the high speeds. After I passed my driving test i took some lessons with my driving instructor to learn how to act on the motorway, and apparently I was the first person she had heard of who did so! I need not have done so, as technically i was deemed competent to drive, but it was money well spent! there may be plenty of crazy people behind the wheel out there, but i'm not on of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It comes down to a lack of understanding/knowledge and application of the basic driving skills, keep left, adjust you speed to suit the road conditions etc.
    Fear is another reason for slow driving, expect the unexpected but don't fearful of it. If you're fearful while driving for whatever reason you shouldn't be on the road.
    I never drove on the motorway before I passed my test, but my first time out there I just applied what I had been taught and I was fine. I will admit it was nerve wrecking at first.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mowhawk

Again today as i came onto the M50 at cherrywood heading northbound i came on to the slip road and accelrated to get up tu the speed of the motorway and the car infront of me i assumed was doing the same untill i realised she was stikking tu roughly 70kph coming on to 120kph stretch of road there was a car behind me doing the same speed as me if not faster and if i had have hit the brakes i would have caused a huge accident.

If you are driving correctly joining, driving on and exiting a motorway you should never have to touch your brake pedal at all (not even once). Match the speed of the traffic already on the motorway on joining, anticipate gaps for lane changing etc, and control your speed with the throttle pedal only and do not brake at all to reduce your speed until you are actually on the exit ramp when leaving the motorway. Of course this is dependent on other motorway users doing the same icon6.gif.

Jeremy Clarkson said this too so it must be true!

As for fencer, keep it up mate, I would love to be there the day an unmarked Garda car sees you giving the rest of us the benefit of your vast experience and dispensing high quality 'driving instruction' and you sitting there on the hard shoulder wondering why you are being done for dangerous driving.

mowhawk wrote: »
    As for fencer, keep it up mate, I would love to be there the day an unmarked Garda car sees you giving the rest of us the benefit of your vast experience and dispensing high quality 'driving instruction' and you sitting there on the hard shoulder wondering why you are being done for dangerous driving.
    First off, I am not your "mate" - I dont know you at all, so lets keep it hetro;)
    After that I can only recommend specsavers and then re-read my posts;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How can it be careless driving when there's a big blue sign that says you can do this speed? Now doing 29km/h is illegal. I've never seen the Gardai pulling any tractors or combine harvesters on a motorway and I've seen the combine several times on the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I had the opposite to the OP yesterday...lady creeps down the slip road gets to the bottom, indicates right and goes straight out to the overtaking lane....nothing in the inside lane at all..... i had almost no choice but to undertake....sailed by her on the speed limiter...90km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

corktina wrote: »
    I had the opposite to the OP yesterday...lady creeps down the slip road gets to the bottom, indicates right and goes straight out to the overtaking lane....nothing in the inside lane at all..... i had almost no choice but to undertake....sailed by her on the speed limiter...90km/h

I'll see that, and raise you..........

Someone turning right at the bottom of the M1/M50 slip road :eek:

Happened on Monday morning around 07.00. Come down the slip on to the M50 in the inside lane and there is a white Almera Van on the hash marks pointing directly towards the central reservation. Waits for the traffic that was coming to pass, then pulls in to the outside lane - heading back towards the Roundabout.

I was on the main carriageway when said idiot got in to the outside lane (heading the wrong way) so was keeping an eye on the rear view to see what happened next (not too much in front). Thankfully, as soon as he/she saw traffic coming straight at them they pulled over to the hard shoulder.

Not sure how they will have managed to get out of the hard shoulder facing the wrong way. Didn't hear of any accident reports so the stupid c*nt must have managed not to kill anyone.

Makes you wonder sometimes.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

shinikins wrote: »

sorry but your sister is a cúnt of a driver...too many people on the roads like this...
    I remember seeing guy doing 60kph on a sliproad before pulling directly onto the motorway without even looking...I made sure to stay way back as I watched about 10 cars all rapidly break and swerve to avoid the stupid bollix.
    Anyone driving like this should be handed 6 penalty points asap..

Advertisement