Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Drama for Fall 2010

Options
  • 12-07-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Since we are all about the Fall (We really should have The CW IRL).

Anyway

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2010/0712/rte.html
    'Love/Hate' is a four-part series set in the Dublin underworld and stars Robert Sheehan, Aidan Gillen, Ruth Negga and Ruth Bradley.

'When Harvey Met Bob' looks at the relationship between Bob Geldof (Domhnall Gleeson) and promoter Harvey Goldsmith (Ian Hart) in the run-up to the Live Aid concerts.

Adapted by author Edna O'Brien from her novel of the same name, 'Wild Decembers' stars Owen McDonnell, Matt Ryan and Lara Belmont in "an interlocking story of land and love" in rural Ireland.

The winner of RTÉ's web drama competition 'StoryLand', 'Hardy Bucks' follows the antics of four friends in the fictional Castletown.

Also returning in the new season are 'Raw' and 'Single-Handed'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Who uses 'the Fall' in Ireland ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Should be ok. Maybe even good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Who uses 'the Fall' in Ireland ? :p

TV forum in joke, because of all of the US TV Fall announcements that appeared a few weeks ago. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Love/Hate could be amazing... Nathan from Misfits and Carcetti from the Wire... That's enough to convince me to tune in...

Love/Hate could be amazing... Nathan from Misfits and Carcetti from the Wire... That's enough to convince me to tune in...

The two most arrogant ****wits on TV. Sorry for my use of bad language but they just come across badly to me. Nathan from the Misfits = Nerdy guy from Foreign Exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,181 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Nice to see the Hardy Bucks have finally got their series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Nice to see the Hardy Bucks have finally got their series.

Well deserved, this is going to be huge.

naasrd wrote: »
    Well deserved, this is going to be huge.

I doubt it tbh, RTE are going to censor the hell out of it or else were goign to get a watered down version of their act which is pretty much a less funny Trailer Park Boys rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

some of them sound good

• Advertisement

I doubt it tbh, RTE are going to censor the hell out of it or else were goign to get a watered down version of their act which is pretty much a less funny Trailer Park Boys rip off.

We should not build it up. I hope it goes well for everyone involved.

Looking at other TV dramas from RTÉ in the last decade RTÉ aren't about censorship, but if they put it on RTÉ One they are insane.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Elmo wrote: »
    The two most arrogant ****wits on TV.

What exactly are you basing that on? As it happens my husband has worked with both of them and has found them both to be really nice. :P

iguana wrote: »
    What exactly are you basing that on? As it happens my husband has worked with both of them and has found them both to be really nice. :P

Completely on the characters that they have played on TV. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

More info here:

http://tvsales.rte.ie/programming/drama.htm

Love hate 4 x60 mins
    Single handed 6 x 60 mins
    Raw 6 x 60 mins
    Hardy bucks 3 x 30 mins
    When harvey met bob 1 x 90 mins
    Wild decembers TBA

Single handed will be 6 episodes because of a RTE and ITV co production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I imagine they won't be able to say c*nt as much as they did before.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I imagine they won't be able to say c*nt as much as they did before.

**** wonder if they feel the same about Bollocks, because boards.ie doesn't seem to have the same censorship laws. It is easy to write fcuk, cnut, bollocks, shti etc than it is to write a script using other worse phrases that are "expectable" in the English language.
    Raw 6 x 60 mins
    Hardy bucks 3 x 30 mins

Only 3 episodes they must have cut out all of the C*nts. I thought Raw was getting 10 episodes this year.

I can't see the makers of Hardy Bucks watering it down for RTE. I expect my fair share of C's& F's!

I expect my fair share of C's& F's!

What's that now C's and F's? I think we can say those words on boards, no? The irony of internet censorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I can't see the makers of Hardy Bucks watering it down for RTE. I expect my fair share of C's& F's!

Scene:

RTE Exec: Ok lads you can have your 3 episodes. But can you say cunt a bit less please?
    Hardy Bucks: Sound man. No problem, just give us some cash ya cunt

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Scene:

RTE Exec: Ok lads you can have your 3 episodes. But can you say cunt a bit less please?
    Hardy Bucks: Sound man. No problem, just give us some cash ya cunt

Scene (as censored by boards.ie):

RTE Exec: Ok lads you can have your 3 episodes. But can you say **** a bit less please?
    Hardy Bucks: Sound man. No problem, just give us some cash ya ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

When HARDY BUCKS won StoryLand, RTÉ’s drama competition, the web series became an online phenomenon, with three million hits, and a word-of-mouth sensation.

Shut your hole RTE. It was huge way before the sham of "StoryLand".
    Next thing they'll be telling us they invented Youtube.

mikom wrote: »
    Shut your hole RTE. It was huge way before the sham of "StoryLand".
    Next thing they'll be telling us they invented Youtube.

Don't you know RTÉ Player predates YouTube :D

What's that now C's and F's? I think we can say those words on boards, no? The irony of internet censorship.

I just couldn't be arsed to spell them. I'm such a lazy etc, etc...

I just couldn't be arsed to spell them. I'm such a lazy etc, etc...

Here let me spell them for you **** and **** :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Polonius

I play Freddie Mercurys double, watch out for me !!

Looks great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Polonius wrote: »
    I play Freddie Mercurys double, watch out for me !!

Looks great
    Haha, nice! :D

Love/Hate's first episode was good, but the second episode tonight was leaps and bounds beyond any fiction they have ever made. Really (finally!) impressed.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Love/Hate's first episode was good, but the second episode tonight was leaps and bounds beyond any fiction they have ever made. Really (finally!) impressed.

Your really going to have to tell me what dramas you are thinking of????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Your really going to have to tell me what dramas you are thinking of????:confused:
    RAW, The Clinic, Fair City, The Spike, Upwardly Mobile (if we are considering it comic-drama or 'dramedy'), Batchelor's Walk (see Upwardly Mobile), Glenroe (though Glenroe was good for it's time I will admit, this looks to be better thus far with all due respect), the list goes on.

In terms of fiction (you quoted me saying fiction, after all) I will add Leave it to Mrs. Brown, about every sketch show to come from them (don't think I need to remind you of Catherine Lynch) and Extra, Extra, Read All About it. Yes, I had to watch various episodes of these as research for a class I was in last year, and I desperately want that time back.

Are you claiming RTE has neve made dramas before? Or that they have been better than Love/Hate thus far (Glenroe would have a good shout, I admit)? Or do you just not watch RTE much? You're confusing me at this point.

Billy86 wrote: »
    RAW, The Clinic, Fair City, The Spike, Upwardly Mobile (if we are considering it comic-drama or 'dramedy'), Batchelor's Walk (see Upwardly Mobile), Glenroe (though Glenroe was good for it's time I will admit, this looks to be better thus far with all due respect), the list goes on.

The Spike never aired thank god and that's 1970 something. Upwardly Mobile 1996 your still going on about it. Fair City and Glenroe are soap operas, however Glenroe was fairly different to most soaps I will give it that. But I would never rate BBC, ITV or C4 drama on their numerous soaps. As for American soaps, if you thought that was all US Drama was about you would never watch US TV.

Batchelor's Walk, see Upwardly Mobile :confused:, come on, one of the best dramas produced. The Clinic 10 times better than either Holby City or Casualty.
    In terms of fiction (you quoted me saying fiction, after all) I will add Leave it to Mrs. Brown, about every sketch show to come from them (don't think I need to remind you of Catherine Lynch) and Extra, Extra, Read All About it. Yes, I had to watch various episodes of these as research for a class I was in last year, and I desperately want that time back.

Early 1980s comedy, Early 1990s comedy. Why would you need to review either for any course???? Just to prove RTÉ can't do comedy.
    Are you claiming RTE has neve made dramas before? Or that they have been better than Love/Hate thus far (Glenroe would have a good shout, I admit)? Or do you just not watch RTE much? You're confusing me at this point

Are you claiming that RTÉ have never made a good drama before Love/Hate? Because you are confusing me at this time.

In the last 10 years RTÉ have had some of the strongest drama productions. (Bar the 1960s when they produced various Plays for television and per head of population produced more drama than any other TV channel in Europe, that changed in the 1970 and 1980 indeed Mr. Ray Burke's agenda as Min for Comms had something to do with that in the 1990s).

Pure Mule, Batchelor's Walk, Paths To Freedom, Love is the Drug, Prosperity, No Tears, The Clinic, Single Handed, Proof, Stardust, DDU, Falling for a Dancer, Amongst Women, Fallout etc etc I would highly rate as dramas.

Yes they have had slip ups during that time Including The Big Bow Wow, Fergus' Wedding and others that I wish to forget.

But to put this above many other dramas because you happen to not like them doesn't work.

Love/Hate is an average drama, the script happens to be written by one of the writers from RAW and it shows. As for Raw it is as good as any UK or US drama.. RAW does not put its head above average like so many dramas currently airing (US Cable Drama is on the other hand a different type of Drama currently in its golden age of TV Drama).

Next your going to tell me that all factual programming from RTÉ never stands up, but then your probable going to list Head 2 Toe and Live at 3 as Factual programming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Spike never aired thank god and that's 1970 something.

The Spike did air but was pulled after a few episodes because RTE were inundated with complaints.

Advertisement