Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New speed trap M50 northbound

Options
  • 13-07-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Has anyone noticed the new line markings that appeared overnightbefore Tallaght. Think there was one here before roadworks started, looks like its coming back!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

duff123 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the new line markings that appeared overnightbefore Tallaght. Think there was one here before roadworks started, looks like its coming back!

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

cheers for that, i have to drive home from there in an hour, never would have noticed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Saw one Northbound between Sandyford and Ballyboden. Markings done, camera live soon it seems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

God dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 duff123

Thats the one I knew I was somewhere before Tallaght, was not too sure where.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Its about time, but they should be the AVG speed trap camera's place on the overhead gantree's like Up Ulster Way, and across the channel!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

jock101 wrote: »
    Its about time, but they should be the AVG speed trap camera's place on the overhead gantree's like Up Ulster Way, and across the channel!:rolleyes:
    No there absolutely should not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone who comes to the speed camera threads askign why theres no cameras on dodgy country roads should drive by and watch behaviour of drivers at cameras on roads like the M50.

I was coming back from Dundrum today, I moved out to overtake a car doing about 60kmph to be met with a line of cars in the middle lane doing a steady 88 (digital speedo) . So on this road with a 100 limit what does the line of cars do upon seeing the line son the road? they brake :rolleyes:

In short, people are idiots.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Anyone who comes to the speed camera threads askign why theres no cameras on dodgy country roads should drive by and watch behaviour of drivers at cameras on roads like the M50.

I was coming back from Dundrum today, I moved out to overtake a car doing about 60kmph to be met with a line of cars in the middle lane doing a steady 88 (digital speedo) . So on this road with a 100 limit what does the line of cars do upon seeing the line son the road? they brake :rolleyes:

In short, people are idiots.

Hence use the AVG speed camera system, and Zapp Gotcha. A Fine and two penalty points in the post!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

Hence use the AVG speed camera system, and Zapp Gotcha. A Fine and two penalty points in the post!;)

Yes because drivers going around the M50 staring intently at their speedos while trying to do maths in their head is much safer :rolleyes:

bloke wrote: »
    Yes because drivers going around the M50 staring intently at their speedos while trying to do maths in their head is much safer :rolleyes:

Drive at 97km/h or 117km/h at the certain areas on the M50 and you have nothing to worry about!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Drive at 97km/h or 117km/h at the certain areas on the M50 and you have nothing to worry about!:rolleyes:

I guess we all should be doing 30km/h in the city centre?

Or wait do you want cars banned.

CosmicJay wrote: »
    I guess we all should be doing 30km/h in the city centre?

Or wait do you want cars banned.

Yes I do, and I want a massive clampdown on speeding and Ignorant dangerous driving! Massive fines are the way to go, especially thesedays!:D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

without cruise control, how often do you think you need to look at the speedo to maintain 3 km/h accuracy? Much too often, IMO. So you can either do 97 while staring at the speedo or 85/90 with less speedo checking. The over-caution exhibited by drivers in relation to speeding enforcement (ref: drivers braking needlessly from 80km/h above) means the majority will take the (much) slower option.

Then there will be some out to "beat the system" booting it for a while and slowing well below the limit later.

All in all I just think it would make things simultaneously slower and more dangerous. win / win? :confused: Actually, the more I think about it - it sounds right up the RSA's alley...

bloke wrote: »
    without cruise control, how often do you think you need to look at the speedo to maintain 3 km/h accuracy? Much too often, IMO. So you can either do 97 while staring at the speedo or 85/90 with less speedo checking. The over-caution exhibited by drivers in relation to speeding enforcement (ref: drivers braking needlessly from 80km/h above) means the majority will take the (much) slower option.

Then there will be some out to "beat the system" booting it for a while and slowing well below the limit later.

All in all I just think it would make things simultaneously slower and more dangerous. win / win? :confused: Actually, the more I think about it - it sounds right up the RSA's alley...

Well I have no difficulty driving at or just below the speed limit! Well if you want to drive like a nutter for a few minutes and then drive as slow as a snell for another 10 minutes, good luck to you!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you check the RSA website there have been 3 fatalities on the M50 in the last 3 years. With the amount of traffic that uses it everyday that makes it one of the safest roads in the country. How many speed cameras are there on the dangerous roads where people are actually being killed? The mountain roads beside the M50 are narrow and winding with 50km and 60km limits. These roads are much more dangerous and need speed enforcement, but there are no barrels full of fish there. Instead hit people on the best road in the county, thereby moving people who want to speed onto the dangerous mountain roads or else onto the alternative local roads with several schools where again there are on cameras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

cameras on the safest road and jock still trolling, some things never change

Absurdum wrote: »
    cameras on the safest road and jock still trolling, some things never change

Eh no, its my opinion and a public forum, deal with it!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you check the RSA website there have been 3 fatalities on the M50 in the last 3 years. With the amount of traffic that uses it everyday that makes it one of the safest roads in the country. How many speed cameras are there on the dangerous roads where people are actually being killed? The mountain roads beside the M50 are narrow and winding with 50km and 60km limits. These roads are much more dangerous and need speed enforcement, but there are no barrels full of fish there. Instead hit people on the best road in the county, thereby moving people who want to speed onto the dangerous mountain roads or else onto the alternative local roads with several schools where again there are on cameras

So by that logic, When the death rate on the M50 gets high, what ever that number is, then Speed limit enforcement should be done!:rolleyes::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Eh no, its my opinion and a public forum, deal with it!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

we deal with it by pointing out your irrational support for speedgreed cameras but you just don't want to see reason or logic

Absurdum wrote: »
    we deal with it by pointing out your irrational support for speedgreed cameras but you just don't want to see reason or logic

What is irrational with wanting to stop Dangerous driving on public roads!
    I guess from your responses you have little regard for the Traffic laws!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I want a massive clampdown on speeding

That is the attitude that has road deaths so high in this country, to hell with driver skill and education, road conditions and drink driving! Are you just here to wind people up??? I mean can you not see that the speed limits on country roads are far too high and dual carraigeways around Dublin are too low? Do you ever question speed limits or do you just take the limit prescribed by some half wit on the council as gospel?

Out of interest do you support the RSA "He drives she dies" ad?

Its amazing that pointing out how much people casually brake the Traffic laws in this country, endangering other people minding there own business driving correctly. Seems to get up peoples noses! Its not your safety Im worried about, its mine, my friends and family! I want proper traffic enforcement on our nations roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I prefer actuall guards patroling the streets who might notice 8 people shoved into one car ;) ...... instead of being , on average , 12 kmh over the limit on a motorway with a national route speed limit.

Not much point in sending someone a fine 2 weeks later to tell them that they were exceeding the limit when 2 minutes later they killed any number of people. Good driver education and good policing , none of which we have in Ireland when it comes to the roads at the moment , despite the improvements in statistics in the last few years ( which are all down to proper roads and nothing to do with speed cameras , road safety campaigns or Gay Byrne ) :mad:

Its amazing that pointing out how much people casually brake the Traffic laws in this country, endangering other people minding there own business driving correctly. Seems to get up peoples noses! Its not your safety Im worried about, its mine, my friends and family! I want proper traffic enforcement on our nations roads!

You don't seem to comprehend the MASSIVE problems with these "traffic laws" you speak of... specifically an 80km/h limit on narrow country boreens with grass up the middle where you would not be able to get anywhere near 80km/h is as almost as ludicrous as 60km/h on dual carraigeways like the N11 and 30km/h in the city centre.

If your so obsessed with these limits... if a speed limit is correct for road conditions in the dry then surely someone shouldn't travel that fast in the wet? If a speed limit is correct for a 997 Turbo with ceramic brakes and brand new Conti Sport Contacts then surely it's wrong for a 40 tonne artic with barely legal tyres?

I'm of the opinion that the majority of drivers can make the correct judgment at what speed to travel in the appropriate road conditions, eg every driver in the country crawled along when the ice was down in New Years day - we didn't need speed limits or cameras for that. Granted you will still get morons driving at 120km/h through a town and all the speed limits and camera's in the world won't deter them - but garda presence (not speed checks) and driver education will.

SGKM wrote: »
    You don't seem to comprehend the MASSIVE problems with these "traffic laws" you speak of... specifically an 80km/h limit on narrow country boreens with grass up the middle where you would not be able to get anywhere near 80km/h is as almost as ludicrous as 60km/h on dual carraigeways like the N11 and 30km/h in the city centre.

If your so obsessed with these limits... if a speed limit is correct for road conditions in the dry then surely someone shouldn't travel that fast in the wet? If a speed limit is correct for a 997 Turbo with ceramic brakes and brand new Conti Sport Contacts then surely it's wrong for a 40 tonne artic with barely legal tyres?

I'm of the opinion that the majority of drivers can make the correct judgment at what speed to travel in the appropriate road conditions, eg every driver in the country crawled along when the ice was down in New Years day - we didn't need speed limits or cameras for that. Granted you will still get morons driving at 120km/h through a town and all the speed limits and camera's in the world won't deter them - but garda presence (not speed checks) and driver education will.

Well its those morons and there are a lot of them driving at 120km'h and more, driving through towns etc.. are the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Yes I do, and I want a massive clampdown on speeding and Ignorant dangerous driving! Massive fines are the way to go, especially thesedays!:D:D;)

trolling_pic.png

Just because a speed is under the speed limit, does not make it safe.
    Just because a speed is over the speed limit, does not make it unsafe.

Speed camera's don't catch morons. They catch people driving fast.

Well its those morons and there are a lot of them driving at 120km'h and more, driving through towns etc.. are the problem!

But you don't seem to grasp that the vast majority of drivers aren't morons like that and sticking up speed cameras to catch some ordinary bloke doing 10km/h over the limit on the M50 will do nothing for road safety, it'll just generate revenue for the government through speeding fines and increased insurance premiums (to more than likely be wasted in some disgracefully inefficient form or another, but that's another thread)

With Gaybo and the EU more ANPR or Gatso camera's are coming, like it or not. So the simple message is Buckle Up and Slow Down. Arrive Alive!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

**** off jock101, people like you don't save lives, they cost them.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

With Gaybo and the EU more ANPR or Gatso camera's are coming, like it or not. So the simple message is Buckle Up and Slow Down. Arrive Alive!:)

No they are not. Even if any of the phases of the RSAs plan with reagrd to speed cameras are put in place , we'll still be way off the pace compared to our EU neighbours with reagrds to these things. These plans are in the offing for decades. They dont have the money to put the half of it in place. :D

OP , you must be very young or blind deaf and dumb to have never heard these same plans being rolled out again and again and again. Speed cameras dont buy votes so expect to see no more thana token gesture of them showing up in the short to medium term.

And lets hope they find the money for real safety improvement i.e upgrading Newlands X so that people dont have to dodge their way across 6 lanes of traffic just to cross a national route connecting 2 major motorways. No one speeds here because they cant yet how many accidents have happened here over the years with people hurt or killed

Im off , Im not sticking around to argue stupid stuff like this, night folks:cool:

Advertisement