Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options
  • 23-07-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

Not on their website yet. But in yesterdays Irish Independent there was a customer notification announcing a change in the billpay data pricing. Can't find a link anywhere but it was definitely in the paper.

So I'd imagine under the Regulation 17 of the EC Regulations 2003 Meteor billpay customers now have a penalty free way out of their contracts.

Cancellations Department Direct Dial: 1800-222-085

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

If anything it'll be a change for the better no? Can't see them putting it up and if it goes down then surely it's better for the customer! Can find yesterdays Indo anywhere nor anything on Meteor or the weba..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

yeah you can leave your contract without penalty (once your signed up to billpay data pricing)
    Operators always change their T&Cs every few months so theirs always chances to get out of your contract

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would definitely be interested in this, only signed a 12 month contract there last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Has anyone a link to that article? or what number you call and what to quote when you call up meteor?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Heres the details:
    Meteor wishes to notify its customers of Bill Pay price changes effective as of 22nd of August 2010. The current default rate for Mobile Internet Browsing of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB) will change to a daily pricing structure. Customers will be charged 2c per KB up to 49KB i.e. 98c. Usage will then be zero rated from 50KB to 50MB. After 50MB has been consumed, usage will be charged at out of bundle rates of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB). This pricing applies to daily usage from midnight to midnight. Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What were the charges before this? they have had these prices on payg for a long time now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What were the charges before this? they have had these prices on payg for a long time now

Ye but billpay was different. They are now bringing them into line. This is a good thing for billpay users not on a data addon.

If you used 40MB before it would cost €819, where's after August 22nd it will just cost 99 cent for anything upto 50MB

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

I signed up to a 12 month contract on the 10th July, I got the HTC Legend and my data plan is €35 per month (Smart plan I think)...

Questions;

Can I now because of these change of terms cancel my contract and keep the phone?
    What will happen to my phone number?

Thanks

Nothing will happen, you will still have the same phone, same phone number, and same monthly bill.You just wont be tired into the remained of your contract if you did want to switch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

So this is not on par with the recent o2 change with regard to cancelling a contract ?

Can anyone clarify ?

• Advertisement

tallus wrote: »
    So this is not on par with the recent o2 change with regard to cancelling a contract ?

Can anyone clarify ?

How so?

They are changing the terms of the contract, if you don't agree to the new terms they have to release you from the contract.

Davy wrote: »
    How so?

They are changing the terms of the contract, if you don't agree to the new terms they have to release you from the contract.

Cheers Davy, that's all I wanted to know.

edit

Just wondering if anyone has called Meteor yet ?

/edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

can you cancel it even if you have a data add on?

I got the meteor Smart 30 with 1gb data plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'd feel sorry for Meteor if they lost a lot of contracts because of this because to be fair it is a positive change unlike the changes O2 made.

That said, rules are rules, so its perfectly fair and above board if a customer gets out of a long contract because of this!

jordainius wrote: »
    I'd feel sorry for Meteor if they lost a lot of contracts because of this because to be fair it is a positive change unlike the changes O2 made.

That said, rules are rules, so its perfectly fair and above board if a customer gets out of a long contract because of this!

lmao **** meteor when i got the bill pay non of the monkeys could even provide me with data settings or any help how to set up internet on my hd2 after getting the contract to be able to have internet add on

can you cancel it even if you have a data add on?

I got the meteor Smart 30 with 1gb data plan

I think you can because I'm fairly these charges applied once you went outside your bundle, so the terms have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

I might try ringing them later or tomorrow I'll let yas know how I get on.
    I'm gonna try cancel the contract altogether.

I'm on the line to them right now, on hold.

Meteor = on hold.

Fixed

Under section 6 of the Meteor terms & conditions they have the right to change the t&c's if they give one month's notice ?
    I'm being told I cannot get out of the contract.

• Advertisement

Under section 6 of the Meteor terms & conditions they have the right to change the t&c's if they give one month's notice ?
    I'm being told I cannot get out of the contract.

I'm pretty sure EC law trumps Meteor Terms and Conditions
    Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

Quote the above to them, repeatedly if required. If they don't play ball, inform them your making a complaint to Comreg. Its the law, they have to let you out if you don't accept the changes.

I'm pretty sure EC law trumps Meteor Terms and Conditions

Quote the above to them, repeatedly if required. If they don't play ball, inform them your making a complaint to Comreg. Its the law, they have to let you out if you don't accept the changes.

I did quote it to them, I was still told that if they give a month's notice that I have to stay within the contract, and also that there would be a penalty if I cancelled the contract.

I did quote it to them, I was still told that if they give a month's notice that I have to stay within the contract.

Feck them anyway, They're stringing you along. They can only make a change if they give a months notice. Within that month, you have the right to leave your contract without penalty if you don't accept the changes.

They can't stop you from leaving!

Feck them anyway, They're stringing you along. They can only make a change if they give a months notice. Within that month, you have the right to leave your contract without penalty if you don't accept the changes.

They can't stop you from leaving!

I'll try them again in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Get out of contract even when prices are lowered?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭elmoie

just rang and nice girl put me on hold for ages then said the changes are
    1) mobile broadband they are phasing out 15GB
    2) Prepay mobile calls connection charge are going from 5c to 9c (i think)
    These are the changes that were announced a few weeks back right ? and not the ones in the article i am thinking ?

elmoie wrote: »
    just rang and nice girl put me on hold for ages then said the changes are
    1) mobile broadband they are phasing out 15GB
    2) Prepay mobile calls connection charge are going from 5c to 9c (i think)
    These are the changes that were announced a few weeks back right ? and not the ones in the article i am thinking ?

As far as I can see, they announced the new changes on July 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Meteor wishes to notify its customers of Bill Pay price changes effective as of 22nd of August 2010. The current default rate for Mobile Internet Browsing of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB) will change to a daily pricing structure. Customers will be charged 2c per KB up to 49KB i.e. 98c. Usage will then be zero rated from 50KB to 50MB. After 50MB has been consumed, usage will be charged at out of bundle rates of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB). This pricing applies to daily usage from midnight to midnight. Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

Can I ask where you found this information, I cannot find it on the website.

I also called just a few mins ago and was told the changes apply to prepay customers only................

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zeldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Nothing will happen, you will still have the same phone, same phone number, and same monthly bill.You just wont be tired into the remained of your contract if you did want to switch

Quick question about this, say I get out of the contract, is there anyway to then stay on the same plan but take out a new contract while keeping my number? The reason being, I want to avail of free talk & text to meteor customers.
    I don't mind being locked into a 12/18 month contract, my gripe is that when I signed up to said contract/plan two months ago, free meteor talk & text were not offered, now they are being offered on the plan I am on but as I am already signed up to it, Meteor tell me I cannot avail of it.

Alternatively would it just be easier to get out of this contract, cancel it & then enter into my chosen contract as a new customer, with a new number and go either SIM only or get an additional phone if they are offering free ones with the contract?

Advertisement