Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor at it again

Options
  • 19-08-2010 2:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got charged a cancellation fee when I cancelled my meteor contract under Regulation 17

This happen to any one else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cotts

how much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

€130

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What they say this fee was for exactly?

I hope you haven't agreed already?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Davy wrote: »
    What they say this fee was for exactly?

It just says cancellation fee.
    Davy wrote: »

I hope you haven't agreed already?

What do you mean?

I've cancelled my direct debit and emailed to say I will pay the call and text charges the day after the direct debit is due

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well i cant see how they can charge you a cancellation fee. You are breaking the agreement, they are changing the terms so you can opt out without penalty, but they are still penalising you.

Did you say ok when they said there will be €130 fee? or did you say you wanted to think about it etc and would phone them back? How far are you into the contract?

• Advertisement

There was no mention of a cancellation fee. I rang up was asked did I want to sign up again, or go to prepare or go to a light plan. Switched to pay as you go

6 months in to my contact but that doesn't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Is it this?
    Contract Penalties / Charges
    If you cancel within the minimum term of your current contract period you are liable for contract penalties which will be charged, in your final bill. The contract penalties consist of the remaining months you have left on your contract, at time of cancellation.

Not if you got out of it as a result of EU regulation 17

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Just ring them, its probably a mix up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I just landed with a €338 cancellation charge too. Not the nicest thing to come home to.

I got out in August on the EU Regulation 17 thing too, they told me I would not be charged. Will be ringing tomorrow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

yeah i got charged too when i left. even though i had the right to leave.

charged me 470+ something but had no money in the account hehe...

rang them up and they took me off the list...

next day another text saying direct debit has come back unpaid lol

rang them raging at them and finally they took me off...kunts didnt even say sorry...thank god had no money to pay them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

Got a 225 Euro cancallation fee from Meteor after leaving penalty free under EU Regulation 17 a few months ago.
    I rang saying no way - but they couldn't get through to the cancallations depeartment so I have to call back tomorrow. Once I saw this thread I felt better, safety in numbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

Just called Meteor...

The girl put me on hold and went to speak to cancallations department.

Came back and said it was in error and I won't be charged and the direct debit will not go through.

Thank God.

For anyone else:
    I did change my contract on the 10th August (before the 22nd I think when they changed contract terms) to a Bill pay lite and was on that for over a month so they can't do anything to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,144 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just for anyone who's not aware, letting a direct debit bounce on your account, it's a black mark on your bank account for at least 3mts and could effect your chances of getting a loan from the bank.
    Your also charged for a bounced direct debit usually between 10 and 25 euro depending on the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

After talking to cancellations, who told me that the 338 charge was a mistake and I wasn't to be be DD, lo and behold, yesterday the fcukers hit my bank account. That was a full 10 working days since my call to them.

I am absolutely furious. Gonna give them a piece of my mind tomorrow morning.

Would it be correct in saying that I can legitimately take them to small claims court over this?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just to update this

I got a letter from meteor about the outstanding balance on my account which was the cancellation fee.

I settled up all call costs with them so just returned to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

That's absolutely frustrating - it's so quick and easy for them to take money away from you but it's always going to be a long period in order to get it back.

Best of luck to all trying to rectify this.

Advertisement