Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Genie

• 31-08-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,
    First off sorry if I'm posting on the wrong forum but need some tech advice about the shopping genie scheme (Scam???)
    Has anyone heard of this. The basic idea is to by a license from these guys and get your friends and family to download a free application that pops up when you enter searches in Google, amazon etc. The shopping genie searches through all the sites and pulls back the best prices for you.
    This does not cost the user anything and the license owner makes money once the user clicks on anything within the shopping genie.
    It reeks of scam to me but my husband is all for it.

Has anyone heard of it and is it as bad as I think it is?

Any help/opinions would be greatly appriecated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Your instincts are right this is a pyramid scheme all the way. Went to one of the meetings as well.

First of all the actual shopping genie app is a ball of sh1te.
    The hook is, you buy the rights to distribute the application and then are supposed to give it away for free to friends etc. If it is then used by friends to search for goods or purchase anything you are meant to get a percentage of add click and sale revenue.

The first problem with this is the are X amount of price comparison sites that do this already. Secondly having tried the app I can tell you it doesn't even do a price comparison search. You enter a search term in google and the app then gives 5 or 6 links for amazon, tesco, pricegrabber etc which it just redirects your search term into those sites. Did you by the way see the app working at your presentation cause they didn't show it at mine, just a bunch of sh1ty slides. They claim that this will "Have more clicks then google" but they don't even show it working.

So the promise of add click/ good sale percentages revenue is the hook that gets you in. Now comes the pyramid side of it. To give the software away you have to become a distributor which costs €200 with a €22 a month subscription charge. They then say wouldn't it be a great idea that instead of giving the software away to your friends you sign them up as distributors also. In doing so you get a €100 of there signing on fee, two friends signed up and you have your money back. Anybody they sign you get a further percentage of that signing on fee and so you have your pyramid. They have set out levels where by if your TREE (their euphemism for a pyramid) grows to certain amount you move up a level and get more money.

The scary thing for me about this was that, about 95% of the people at the presentation were hooked on every word.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 e04bf097

It isn't a scam, its a free product!

Its not a pyramid scheme as such ( like the ones in the 80's) where you would have to purchase a particular product in bulk from the guy above at a slightly less price than you were able to sell it for.

The type of system this uses is a variant of direct sales
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_selling

However, the free mygenie product is almost secondary to the selling of the business, i.e getting people to become distributors...

I have already broken even on it after a month, and am now in profit. You only need to recruit 4 people as distributors to break even, after that its all profit

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

e04bf097 wrote: »
    You only need to recruit 4 people as distributors to break even..
    Sorry, but reading that all I saw was "Yes. It's a pyramid scheme".

If some of the false promises and unrealistic expectations outlined by whatstherush are true, then it's employing very questionable marketing techniques which again stink of a pyramid scheme.

As for the product itself, I've never heard of it before so can't comment with any authority. Having said that, it's a product I wouldn't use (even if provided for free) or be interested in investigating in any detail, so shows that instantly your 'target market' is limited (I'd suggest that there are MANY that would share my view of it).

However, the free mygenie product is almost secondary to the selling of the business, i.e getting people to become distributors...

All I am going to say to the above comment is WTF.

This wonderful product that has more clicks then google is secondary to getting more people to become distributors. i.e get more people into the pyramid below you.

Have you made 1 cent off add click or percentage sales from genie app?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 e04bf097

Have you made 1 cent off add click or percentage sales from genie app?
    Yes i have, the first (and only) cheque arrived last week and I received $40.21 which isn't great, but it has covered my monthly subscription of 22 euro. I have 31 genies installed on various pc's of friends and family.

The presentation showed an average of 3 dollar return per month per genie so in that case I guess i'm below what they would advertise as the average.
    Sorry, but reading that all I saw was "Yes. It's a pyramid scheme".
    When i say its not a pyramid scheme as such, i mean Its not going to put you into any great debt. It does however use a pyramid model without the need for an extortionate capital investment.

When people think of pyramid schemes (and what scares them) is they think of a scheme that they have to put an extortionate amount of money i.e 20,000 euro...

In this case its a small once off amount of money (200 dollars) and a 29 euro monthly fee and with a little bit of work you can make your return (+ a few quid extra). I'm not claiming that its going to make me a millionaire, its just a little bit of extra cash a month.

However i do agree that down the line it will eventually become unsustainable for new people coming along.

**So in a nutshell**

The good news:
    • I have made my money back
    • I have received my money for recuiting my distributors (50 dollar once off per person)
    • I have received click revenue.
    • I will continue to receive click revenue provided the genies are installed and are used occasionally
    • I am receiving 10 dollars a month (every month) per person i have recruited as a distributor, and will continue to receive it.
    • A small portion of my click revenue has been from genies that my distributors have given away for free (about 1/5th)
    The bad news :

• This is unsustainable, there will come a time when it will saturate, though considering the nature of the product it may take some time
    • I have not seen one that is "Ireland Specific", i.e the end goal of this is to have a comparison of local shops and retailers, should they submit their prices. This hasn't happened yet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing is the correct term should have used earlier, apologies

• Advertisement

When i say its not a pyramid scheme as such, i mean Its not going to put you into any great debt. It does however use a pyramid model without the need for an extortionate capital investment.

At the end of the day its a pyramid scheme. You seem to think that because it's a small amount it makes it alright and thats fair enough, hope your friends aren't left at the bottom of the pile.

From your own wiki link
    The FTC states "Steer clear of multilevel marketing plans that pay commissions for recruiting new distributors. They're actually illegal pyramid schemes. Why is pyramiding dangerous? Because plans that pay commissions for recruiting new distributors inevitably collapse when no new distributors can be recruited. And when a plan collapses, most people-except perhaps those at the very top of the pyramid-end up empty-handed."

As for your click revenue I don't see how the that App can deliver one cent never mind €40.
    Have you used the app to buy anything, do you think its useful?
    Call me skeptical but I'd imagine the click revenue is just some of your pyramid money re-channeled to give an illusion that it makes money.

p.s. I presume you'll be filling a self assessment tax form and sending it off to the revenue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭carbayon

I have to agree with the sceptical opinion on the shopping genie. These companies are no longer called "pyramid" schemes, but now they are called MLM (Multi Level Marketing) and there are many of them.

I was at a presentation in Dublin myself, and the present claimed and proved that he made over €20,000 in a month. Given that he is at the top and every person signing in Dublin and UK are under him, I can understand that.

However, what he failed to mention on the presentation is how much he spent over all renting venues in Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick and in the UK, he also failed to address expenses for flying to the UK. Lastly, given that a Canadian speaker spent almost a month in Ireland/UK attending the presentations, he too failed to disclaim those expenses. I reckon he spent close to what he earned making sure other people signed, so he can make more money.

On regards of the product itself, the system doesn't do what it says, it claims it can find you the cheapest price. What it does is opens other websites, none of which work in Ireland, and you have to sort the cheapest price from those sites. When you search for a product the program opens up and covers the right-side of the screen (sits on top of the Google ads), from there if you click on the compare button, the software opens between 5 and 10 sites on an interval between 1 second and 10 seconds. The sites that it opens are the real comparison sites (kelkoo, ciao!, Shopping, BizRate, Google Product Search, DealTime and others), at no point the product presents a list of the 10 cheaper prices or anything similar, all it does is saving you from having to manually open the sites and re-type the search.

I have not examined the product further, but I am guessing that when the compare button is pressed and the comparison sites are opened, a payment is processed between the sites and Shopping Genie's parent company, same technology used by any advertisement on the web. (I can dig dipper if people wants me to do so)

Now, for the MLM business; as said by other people before, the money comes from selling the license and building something that in paper looks like a pyramid, I sell to two people (2 on level 2), they each sell to two people (4 on level 3) they each sell to two people (8 on level 4) and so far, this grows exponentially by level if every keeps the sales. Per-click-payment are "mentioned" at $3 per month, and this could be truth at the start; people is curious and start 'playing' with it until they get bored. But the question to be asked is how often is people going to use the product. This is great for expensive purchases (TV, laptop, perfume [the expensive one], sim-free phones,...) but not every day items, I would not compare my soup prices, my soap prices, my bread,.... so again, how often does a person by an "expensive" item, once a month? if that often.

On the presentation as said by another person before, they show slides, so you never get to see the product on-action, imagine going to by a car, looking at the brochure and saying YES I take the car. This is similar, the presentation show "sort of " how it works, but fails to address the opening of other pages; further more, since the main guy is from Northern Ireland, all the examples are in £, a convenient way to avoid the awkwardness of explaining it does not work in Ireland; although he mentions that it will work "better" in the future.

Anyone joining a MLM company will make money, that is a proven fact, but is not a job where you get thousand of Euro (or Dollars) for little or no work, which is what most MLMs "trick you to believe". They always promise to make you money with little work; just doing it part-time. But as with any JOB, the harder you work the more you make. You will earn money, that is been proven on this post, but you will have to put the time and expense to earn money, you will have to do phone calls, you will have to travel places, you will have to meet people over lunch or coffee. If you are joining thinking that you are going to make thousands a month just working few hours a month, you will be in for a surprise. [e04bf097, you got $40, but how much did you spend on phone calls, petrol driving to meet people,...? and how much time did you put onto the program?]

My conclusion is to avoid any company the uses the MLM system, where you are selling a license to either sell a product, or in this case give it for free, none of these companies have a sustainable future. As with everything on life, these companies fall in the 80/20 rule; 20% of the people (those on the top) make 80% of the money while 80% of the people (those on the lower levels) make 20% of the money. The company is structured so you spend time and energy chasing to get onto higher levers by selling more, the more you sell they more the top people make and the more you make, but like an ass after a carrot, you will never get the carrot, not matter how fast you travel.

carbayon wrote: »
    Anyone joining a MLM company will make money, that is a proven fact..
    This comment seems at odds with what is otherwise a very pragmatic and level headed review of the situation.

When the entry fee is as high as is the case here, there is absolutely no guarantee of someone making back their initial investment, never mind a 'will make money'. Maybe that was intended to be a 'can', otherwise, I'd love to see the 'proof'.

PaulPinnacle;

You are 100% sure, at no point on my post I said that I person will recover there initial or monthly investment.

The difference between a REAL pyramid scheme (outlaw on many countries) and a MLM, is that in a MLM a person HAS to make money.

In this particular case, If I buy the license and pay the monthly fee, and I am the only user and use it "as intended" (and regularly), I should get my $3 (or there about) for pay-per-click every month.

Yes, I am paying $30 monthly fee and I am getting $3 back, but I am making money. I am also loosing $27, plus the $199 license fee (because I don't sell licenses or I give the software to other users) but I am getting paid; thus, this can't be considered a pyramid scheme.

I do hope this clear some of the confusion.

P.S. I am covering my behind, I don't want to receive legal letters.

... I am making money. I am also loosing $27..
    Does that not look a little odd to you? How can you be 'making money' if you're losing money?

The scheme is generating a residual income, but one that doesn't meet the overheads required and is resulting in a net monthly loss. In that case, the scheme is losing money not 'making money'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

Does that not look a little odd to you? How can you be 'making money' if you're losing money?

The scheme is generating a residual income, but one that doesn't meet the overheads required and is resulting in a net monthly loss. In that case, the scheme is losing money not 'making money'.
    Actually, you are making money.
    You are not recovering your money, as Carbayon said, but you are MAKING money. It's not worth the original investment (and so it is a sh**y scheme) but if you were able to get looooots of people signed with your license, you would be making money.
    But as Carbayon said, the program is not customized for Ireland, and on top of that, there is not enough market share in here (3 million people market, against UK or any other european market where (if the product where worth it) you could really make a profit.

But as discussed, it will saturate too soon, and on top of that, after seeing it in use, I would maybe use it myself once or twice, but as it doesn't really does anything else than open a search page on amazon, etc, I would not botter with it after one week, and like me, lot of people.

So, e04bf097o, it could be that you do those 40 euros this month, but next month, when people gets tired of the novelty, how much will you get?? Or the following month...

My opinon.

serarra wrote: »
    You are not recovering your money, as Carbayon said, but you are MAKING money.
    There's a difference between 'generating income' (which then fails to meet the required overheads) and 'making money' in my book. A fairly big one.

Having said that, I'm happy to admit I'm not qualified to debate the semantics of it. If others wish to describe losing €X per month as proven fact of 'making money', so be it.

My point is the a MLM company will send you a cheque, while a 'pyramid scheme' will not pay you any money.

This is a whole new discussion and I could start a new posting, but this is moving away from the initial topic.

The initial posting was about Shopping Genie and if it is a SCAM.

Is it a SCAM?
    - No, is a MLM company. If it was a SCAM the government would (and should) stop it.

Does it work?
    - Depends on how much time and effort you put onto it. Some people get their investment back, some won't.

Is it a sustainable income source?
    - No really, the main money is earned by selling the licenses.
    Eventually the sale of licenses fades away and the income drops
    Residual income will drop off with time, leaving you with no income.

Will it make you reach with little work?
    - No, it will require work, time and investment to give a return
    Return depends on time and investment given to the scheme
    A small (VERY SMALL) number will make lots of money, but those are at the top.

Is it as simple as explained?
    - Depends; this is a SALES scheme, if you can sell ice to Eskimos it will work.
    If you can't sell (and not everyone can) it will be difficult and uphill battle.

MLM people don't run it as a business, so they failed to count the investment of time and expenses and subtract them from their income (this is the technique used in the seminars). They are promised $2000 a month (just to say a number) but they have to subtract mobile phone bills, petrol (and car expenses), lunches and meals and of course, taxes that they have to pay on income earned.

Conclusion, as with any business, it will work, but I will not make you a millionaire. You will get payments, but the amount depends on how hard you work. Saturation will happened, so don't expect income for years to come.

Is it a sustainable income source?
    - No really, the main money is earned by selling the licenses.
    Eventually the sale of licenses fades away and the income drops
    Residual income will drop off with time, leaving you with no income.

Will it make you reach with little work?
    - No, it will require work, time and investment to give a return
    Return depends on time and investment given to the scheme
    A small (VERY SMALL) number will make lots of money, but those are at the top.

Is it as simple as explained?
    - Depends; this is a SALES scheme, if you can sell ice to Eskimos it will work.
    If you can't sell (and not everyone can) it will be difficult and uphill battle.

MLM people don't run it as a business, so they failed to count the investment of time and expenses and subtract them from their income (this is the technique used in the seminars). They are promised $2000 a month (just to say a number) but they have to subtract mobile phone bills, petrol (and car expenses), lunches and meals and of course, taxes that they have to pay on income earned.

Conclusion, as with any business, it will work, but I will not make you a millionaire. You will get payments, but the amount depends on how hard you work. Saturation will happened, so don't expect income for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 curtisirl

The shopping genie is not a scam or pyramid scheme its a mlm company.
    Im making more money with this company then i have put in. As other people have already stated you will not make money off this without putting in a bit of effort. If anyone would like more information feel free to contact me.

curtisirl;

That is exactly what I said with less words, it is a MLM.

And most (if not all) the money you are making is from selling licenses, not from the pay-per-click.

Have you deducted all your other expenses from profit (i.e. phone bill, travelling..)?

Lastly, have you divided your time by the net profit? this calculates your hourly rate; how much you make per hour worked, the minimum wage is circa €8.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 curtisirl

carbayon
    firstly i have no expenses as i use this magical invention called the internet

secondly you cannot say "And most (if not all) the money you are making is from selling licenses, not from the pay-per-click" as you have no idea how i am making my money from this company.

thirdly until you try the company for yourself you should not say it doesnt work as you have no idea if it does or not

and finally the old classic if you have nothing good to say , say nothing at all

curtisirl wrote: »
    firstly i have no expenses as i use this magical invention called the internet

I would like to have this FREE internet; I have to pay for mine. Although mines is just regular, is not magical. Next you will tell me that VoIP calls are free to landlines and mobiles; if so, please let me know about these free magical products.
    secondly you cannot say "And most (if not all) the money you are making is from selling licenses, not from the pay-per-click" as you have no idea how i am making my money from this company.

This is true, I don't have an idea how you make your money, but the real question is, do you know how you are making the money?
    thirdly until you try the company for yourself you should not say it doesnt work as you have no idea if it does or not
    As you said, you can't say that, how do you know I haven't tried it?
    I know it works, I have always said the the company will send you cheques; the money you make is in relation to the effort you put.
    and finally the old classic if you have nothing good to say , say nothing at all
    What happened to freedom of speech? is your magical internet not a place where people interchange ideas freely?

Your behaviour is classic of those with no defence, rather than argue and support your points with facts, you attached me personally.

I have expressed my views (although may a bit bias), but I have stated is not a scam and I have explained is a MLM. I have done tons of research on this product and it is my opinion that any person that joins will make money, but they will not make millions; the return is based on hours worked and effort put into not only giving the Genies, but also selling the licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nov_babe

Well, I tend to agree with the "you will make mony but at what expenses" people. Despite my reservations my husband is going ahead with it and he is the type of person that would sell ice to the Eskimos so hopefully he will make some money at it. I have him assurance that he will monitor it carrfully and reasses the situation every three months and if there is a loss or the revenue dries up he will pull out.

I, like others here, have found the produce slightly useless and I know myself that I would only use it once or twice before ignoring it. Appartently it is being launched properly in ireland in the next few weeks and once it is launched the searches will be better but I'm not holding my breath.

The first cheques should start arriving in a couple of weeks so if anyone is interested I'll keep you posted.

Nov Babe;

The only thing I have to say is that once he joins, he SHOULD avoid family and friends. These are the "easy" targets the MLM company recommends you start with. On the sales pitch the say "every one has 100 numbers on their phone, those are your first sales".

If (and when) the business fails, family will forgive, but may not forget; on the other hand, friends will become "we used to be friends until..."

Ask your husband to keep track of licenses sold, as the cheques do not differentiate between license and real pay-per-click, so if he receives a €207 cheque, and he sold 4 licenses, then he only made €7 on "real" pay-per-click. This is another trick, by seeing a "pay-per-click" cheque, you forget the license sales and think that is "residual" income.

Lastly, I do recommend that you take two minutes to read the following posts, MLM business model, the top get richer the more you work and MLM (Multi-Level Marketing) – My personal view based on a real life story

Again, good luck on your husband's new venture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭MLMwatch

Hi folks,

I was in the Shopping Genie business for a couple of months. I even had a couple of people signed up under me. I started hearing some disturbing rumours about the legality of the system. I have published my research here.
    http://byfocal.com/byfotech/?page_id=5

In summary - best left alone.

Cheers,

MLMwatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scamdiscovery

Thanks Mlm watch!!:) About time folks protested about this? Who are the people promoting this Harry Raeburn? Dorinda Burke? GMT Promoters? another scam who is in this making the big money? where is the product? Where is the cost comparsion website? What is the money for their retirement?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

FFS sick of this shyte. Been inundated with oblivious people who don't have a clue about how PCs work in the first place. There's a meeting on wednesday night here about it.

I'm thinking about going down there and giving them a good bollocking.

cherryghost;

The easiest thing to do is to ask (while the presentation is on going) How does the software compare prices? If they answer it uses comparison sites, then ask what site? are they Irish?

[Most likely they will tell you the system will be configured for Ireland on the next few weeks]

When the pay cheques are shown during the presentation, ask Who is paying for the hotel rooms and the flights to England?

Lastly, you could comment by saying that why would you need a program, if you can open the same sites yourself?, and walk out.

Just an idea......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cherryghost;

The easiest thing to do is to ask (while the presentation is on going) How does the software compare prices? If they answer it uses comparison sites, then ask what site? are they Irish?

[Most likely they will tell you the system will be configured for Ireland on the next few weeks]

When the pay cheques are shown during the presentation, ask Who is paying for the hotel rooms and the flights to England?

Lastly, you could comment by saying that why would you need a program, if you can open the same sites yourself?, and walk out.

Just an idea......

No mate I won't go easy. I work in an internet cafe. The people that have come in and demonstrated the program don't even have a clue how a pc works.

To top things off, the idea of myself becoming a distributor, and if things don't work out as intended, I'm forcing myself to sell the idea onto my customers to recoup my losses.

Sorry, but risky business any way you look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pat1970

I went along to a meeting in Athlone tonight. (Sept 16th 2010). Presentation was given by a Des Mc XXXX from Dundalk. Very good presenter (said he worked in Media and built websites.) What i can't understand is why these companies think or pretend to have these "killer Apps" and still they try to use MLM to get them to the public.
    Can they not learn from Bebo, FaceBook, Twitter or YouTube that if it a good product people will find out about it and use it.
    I use FaceBook every day.
    It also was free. No one told me to join it, it just came up so often in conversation with my friends and family that I said I'd have to join up.
    I used to LOVE AltaVista as a search Engine. But Google became my search engine of choice because more and more people were using it. Google is also free.

So what I'm saying is, if MSG was/is such a great App and did it's job as good the presenter said it would, then, people would latch onto it.

Using MLM, it is a case of "get in and get out". Only the top few who were 1st in the door will make money on this.

Another funny thing I saw in Athlone. The people who already hold licences or as they call them “distributors " were all chipping in 5 Euro each at the door. I didn’t understand what this was for until after. It appears as if they were paying for the meeting room. I could be wrong. Which brings me to thinking why would they do that? One local woman said she made money in just 2 weeks. Another man said he had gone “Global” (got to the 3rd level) in 5 weeks. Afterwards I was in the car park and saw him getting into a KK reg Merc. So did he travel up from Kilkenny for this meeting? If so it means that this meeting was well planned and he is part of a “team” which is another thing mentioned during the presentation.

Now don’t get me wrong. I have thrown away more than 156 Euro ($199) on non-profit making ventures in the past and I will do so again in the future, but this one stank of all the usual promises given with affiliate and MLM business ideas. “The biggest re-distribution of wealth ever on the planet” and “Move over Google”. Bull****. I wanted to walk out there and then when I heard that.

Finally, if this App, which I am not even going to download, sits on top of Google ads, and if it were to cause a drop in revenue for Google in any shape or form, I don’t think Google would like it very much. Therefore I think Google would find some way of blocking the App or perhaps they would just say, “Hot darn them Shopping Genie people, we have no answer, we’ll just quit our business and let go all our workers!”

I don’t think so… do you???

Cheers Pat,

Congratulations on spotting the emporer's lack of clothes so quickly. I suspect your expectations weren't high going in.

I know Des. He is a nice genuine guy who actually thinks this is a good idea. If Mr KK Merc is who I think it is then he wouldn't be in the same category. If he was late fifties, 6 ft 2 plus and looks like he can lift a cow on his shoulder then he is who I think.

You are correct that the fiver is to spread the room hire cost among distributors present. Not unreasonable as they could easily make money from the evening.

You raised some interesting points that I hadn't considered, especially around Google. Well done.

I suspect I might go down some wrong paths myself before I find the plan B.

Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kdevo1

My friend made me install this app last week,was on the verge of buying a golf club off mcguirks web page for €349,used this app and searched for the same club with it,directed me to a store in england,got the club for €295 free shipping to ireland,its worked for me,i love my new driver and i love its price:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pat1970

Good for you Kdevo1. Keep swinging that golf club!

(oh and by the way ... no one will notice that you have only posted once on this site so far ... honest!) :D;)

• Advertisement

If it didn't achieve some results for the end user it would have crashed and burned long ago. Well done on the driver. See if your friend is still in the business in a month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement