Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp yo Society 10/11

Options
  • 06-09-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

As we will have a lot of prospective new UCD students checking out the forum it would be good to get some info up here on the various societies active in the college.

If any auditors or members of these are on Boards, could you give a brief outline of the soc and an idea of the activities organised. Hulla has okayed this (three years ago) but if we could keep it as spam-free as possible it would help a lot. Thanks Brothers and Sisters!!

MODS: Any chance of merging/stickying this for the new term? thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

I've noticed people pimping... *ahem*... promoting sports clubs as well in the older Societies thread, so I'm hoping I'm not out of line (mods?) asking for information on that side of things too? :)

*specifically wondering if anyone does yoga or similar on campus*

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

You could have not copy-pasted the other thread but whatever.

Anyone for JazzSoc or Ultimate Frisbee club? Any other interesting societies going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Physics-soc started up last year. T'would be a good idea to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Any international students on Erasmus in UCD, be worth your while joining the ESN (Erasmus Student Network).

Click here

Email : esn.ucd@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Physics-soc started up last year. T'would be a good idea to join.
    Considering that I'm doing physics, I think it might be a good idea. Thanks for metnioning that!

I'm also considering tagging along Mathsoc but I'm expecting them all to be a crowd of unreal maths wizards, whilst I'm simply an enthusiast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Ruski wrote: »
    You could have not copy-pasted the other thread but whatever.

Anyone for JazzSoc or Ultimate Frisbee club? Any other interesting societies going?

It's been a long time since I've played. May give it another go, being less out of shape now an' all nowadays(not saying much) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Looks like no one's pimped Gamesoc yet,so without further ado..

Gamesoc!What do we do?

We are the gaming society of UCD,and if it's a game we'll play it.That means we cater for RPGs,CCGs,Video Games,Board Games and Poker.This year we are hoping to run LANs in conjunction with Netsoc too.:)

Why join us?

Gamesoc is one of the most active societies on campus,with nightly events.We have won the Small Society of the Year award.Aside from that,you can find us hanging out all the time by the blob(a hideous piece of modern art in the Arts block) so if you've time between lectures it's a good place to go.

The society has a good social side too.We organise parties during the year so members can get to know each other and game.There's also weekly coffee mornings where you can come along,get some free tea and coffee and get to know people.Then there's also the gaming conventions,which the society organises trips to,such as Warpcon in Cork.UCD has its own convention in March,called Retcon,which is a great weekend choc full of gaming goodness.:D

If you'd like to find out more about the society have a look at our website. www.ucdgamesoc.com

See you at the Fresher's Tent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Any info about the Politics or Law Socs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Looks like no one's pimped Gamesoc yet
    I figured someone else would be better at it.

Join Gamesoc!! one of [if not THE] most active societies in the college and we even have our own area so you can always find us.

and go to Retcon because it's all kinds of awesome and not be cause I have any hand in organising it or ny gamesoc events
    >.>
    <.<

See you in the fresher's tent and if you want more info PM me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

The UCD Rifle Club is always good for something different and a great club to join if you don't want a sport that's too strenuous or requires too much any running around. It caters for beginners and all equipment and coaching is provided by the club.

The UCD history society is also interesting as they usually have some good speakers in throughout the year, as well as showing some good films, too. Can't find a website for them, but came across their facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

where and when can you join UCD Clubs or Societies?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    where and when can you join UCD Clubs or Societies?
    Where; the fresher's tent,usually in the car park behind the Student centre

When; fresher's week, which it the second week of term, so it starts two weeks monday, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lawsoc...

The worst thing about being a member of Lawsoc is the name. Lawsoc is not a traditional faculty society, yes we run events specifically for law students up in Roebuck. But the majority of the events we run are targeted at students in general. In fact last year Lawsoc was the largest society in UCD and has contacted Guinness Book of World Records to confirm it's the largest student society in the world.

The society itself runs events and brings guests in to speak. Last year for example super model Erin O Connor was interviewed by Ryan Tubridy for lawsoc, youtube sensation the Hardy Bucks received a life membership, comedian Bill Bailey also received a membership as did Tucker Max and Jeremy Kyle. The two largest events of the year were the presentation of an Honourary membership to Noam Chomsky probably the most intelligent man I have been within an arms reach of, and our award winning Lisbon treaty debate, spoken at by the main players in the lisbon election. (Garret Fitzgerald, Mary Lou MacDonald, Dec Ganley, Bertie Ahern ect)

We run debates of every kind, from Israel Palestine and the Catholic Church, to Glamour Models and Soccer v Rugby. And we of course take part in competitive debating at an intervarsity level.

About 550-600 freshers attended our first debate yesterday in theatre L (chaired by Ryan Tubridy) if you missed it, highlights come after about a minute in that video and go on till the end http://vimeo.com/14821003

Lawsoc really does have something for everyone. If you want to join €2 on freshers week. If you wanna get involved with the actual workings of the society pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

errlloyd wrote: »
    Lawsoc...

The worst thing about being a member of Lawsoc is the name. Lawsoc is not a traditional faculty society, yes we run events specifically for law students up in Roebuck. But the majority of the events we run are targeted at students in general. In fact last year Lawsoc was the largest society in UCD and has contacted Guinness Book of World Records to confirm it's the largest student society in the world.

The society itself runs events and brings guests in to speak. Last year for example super model Erin O Connor was interviewed by Ryan Tubridy for lawsoc, youtube sensation the Hardy Bucks received a life membership, comedian Bill Bailey also received a membership as did Tucker Max and Jeremy Kyle. The two largest events of the year were the presentation of an Honourary membership to Noam Chomsky probably the most intelligent man I have been within an arms reach of, and our award winning Lisbon treaty debate, spoken at by the main players in the lisbon election. (Garret Fitzgerald, Mary Lou MacDonald, Dec Ganley, Bertie Ahern ect)

We run debates of every kind, from Israel Palestine and the Catholic Church, to Glamour Models and Soccer v Rugby. And we of course take part in competitive debating at an intervarsity level.

About 550-600 freshers attended our first debate yesterday in theatre L (chaired by Ryan Tubridy) if you missed it, highlights come after about a minute in that video and go on till the end http://vimeo.com/14821003

Lawsoc really does have something for everyone. If you want to join €2 on freshers week. If you wanna get involved with the actual workings of the society pm me.

I will be definitely joining. I might pm you if my timetable after freshers week isn't hectic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clareucd

UCD CANOE CLUB

Why join?
    In short: to try a completely new and exciting sport (if you're not already a paddler!) and become a part of the clubs extremely active social life

What we do
    1. Weekly pool sessions in town followed by Thursday night antics in a nearby pub.
    2. Weekly Saturday trips usually to the Boyne, the Annamoe or the Liffey. All gear and transport provided.
    3. Trips away. Every year the club organises three weekend trips away from Dublin and one week long holiday over New Years in Kerry. Typical weekends away include lots of partying and almost the same amount of kayaking... WOOO!
    Finally, joining is the only way to see why kayaking with ucd canoe club is one of the best things you can do in your time at UCD!
    Come find us at the sports expo!!!

:)

Ruski wrote: »
    Considering that I'm doing physics, I think it might be a good idea. Thanks for metnioning that!

I'm also considering tagging along Mathsoc but I'm expecting them all to be a crowd of unreal maths wizards, whilst I'm simply an enthusiast.

They're not; I'm in it, and while I do maths, I'm no prodigy, just good enough at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

They're not; I'm in it, and while I do maths, I'm no prodigy, just good enough at it.

I'm in mathsoc........ or more precisely was bullied into joining......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 li123

Hey everyone! Just wondering, would people be interested in a Japanese Society in UCD? We'd be aiming to do things like sushi and karaoke nights and general things to do with Japanese culture! Think it could be cool, need to see if there's the interest there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

li123 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Just wondering, would people be interested in a Japanese Society in UCD? We'd be aiming to do things like sushi and karaoke nights and general things to do with Japanese culture! Think it could be cool, need to see if there's the interest there! :)

People say do something different in college, well that ticks the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

Is the list of Socs on the official website a good reflection of the socs in UCD I keep seeing socs i don't think are on the website is that list old/inaccurate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

justified wrote: »
    Is the list of Socs on the official website a good reflection of the socs in UCD I keep seeing socs i don't think are on the website is that list old/inaccurate?

How dare you! The Hellenic Society is as active as ever ;)

Yeah that list is about 6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

How dare you! The Hellenic Society is as active as ever ;).

haha good to know thats the society to do with cyprus isn't it? :)I'm really interested in music/singing do you know if there are any music societies or anything similar at the mo?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

justified wrote: »
    haha good to know thats the society to do with cyprus isn't it? :)I'm really interested in music/singing do you know if there are any music societies or anything similar at the mo?

There is a music soc that was set up this year, but it's fairly new and inactive right now. the Musical soc would probably be more up your street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alisonpalison

Anyone have any experience with the diving or trampolining clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Hi,

Prospective student here, just wondering is there a dance club/soc in UCD?
    I'm having trouble finding information on one.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phightlikeapes

NURSOC

Not gonna post too much info here but nursoc is back and gonna be more active this year. We have a list of things planned, all we need is members!

Plus lads, it's a group full of nurses ;P

186248_100001396189439_3572726_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 secretly_broken

li123 wrote: »

Yes! I am very interested in a Japanese Society. The activities that you're thinking of setting up sounds very interesting. I did Japanese for the leaving cert and so am really enthusiastic about Japanese culture. There are also a couple of my friends who have done Japanese with me in the leaving cert and will be attending UCD this year, who I am sure will be very excited about a Japanese society! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Yes! I am very interested in a Japanese Society. The activities that you're thinking of setting up sounds very interesting. I did Japanese for the leaving cert and so am really enthusiastic about Japanese culture. There are also a couple of my friends who have done Japanese with me in the leaving cert and will be attending UCD this year, who I am sure will be very excited about a Japanese society! :)
    Me too, and I'm doing it in Semester 2 as an elective, so I might join too.

Advertisement