Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4...do you watch it?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

I think it should be taken off the air and replaced with some better channel to be honest. :confused:

I turned it on one night, and it was meant to be a rock show on. All I saw was an eighties wedding dance and some aul one singin behind the mic.

its a poor and boring channel can anyone persuade me otherwise? :pac:

TG4 do you watch it? 229 votes

yes
    0%
    no
    65%
    D-GenerateCiaranClawhecGaelDempseypetesjimmycrackcormefbkelleawLovelessDementoRSir OxmanDjWertz[Deleted User]mikemacWibbskincsemhullaballoo 151 votes
    should be taken off the air
    26%
    R0otDonkeyStyle \o/Tar.AldarionsinkSam VimesbikoLordSutchjos28rcsGLaDOScgordonfreemanseithonOPENROADJesus WeptDominoDubchin_grinpikachucheeksanniehoomthdDonny5 60 votes
    Never heard of it
    7%
    VadrefjordeorourkedaMarcus.Aureliuscock robindonmeistereoindcNoodlewormTeutorixTrevor451KolomanRobitTVKinky SlinkyderfderfGaw_JamiekellyOnesimusMGMTeacocoshovel 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

The odd time I have often seen a good film on it, my father has it on all the time at his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

no
    IMO , it's better than RTE and TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

no I never watch it my parents only watch it for the films then they switch it off when the foreign language comes on :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Nope. But then, I don't watch TV any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

no
    Onesimus wrote: »
    I think it should be taken off the air and replaced with some better channel to be honest. :confused:

I turned it on one night, and it was meant to be a rock show on. All I saw was an eighties wedding dance and some aul one singin behind the mic.

its a poor and boring channel can anyone persuade me otherwise? :pac:

Replaced with what though? Don't forget what launched after TG4. We are entering the digital age now where there will be plenty of space for another channel to launch if they wish.

TG4 is a terrific broadcaster and they do a tremendous job with such a small budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

no
    Some great Docs on TG4, the current one about the 7 men who signed the proclamation of the Republic is on narrated by Brendan Gleeson. Very well done it is.
    Shows like Paisean Faisean are a bit of crack also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

no
    I don't watch channels: i watch programmes. If I flick through and see something on TG4 that I like, I'll watch it and have done so before.

I like the idea of there being an Irish language broadcaster anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Haven't turned on a tv in months. Does it still have the sexy weathergirls?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never, they speak in some weird langauge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The first time I saw the Matrix it was on TG4 in English with Irish Subtitles. I have to say I was delighted. Dont watch it now, but that's due in part to me not being able to receive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

123balltv wrote: »
    no I never watch it my parents only watch it for the films then they switch it off when the foreign language comes on :)

Jebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

no
    Great films, documentaries, sport and yes the weather girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

no
    I watch it occassionally. There are some good docos on it and I don't mind reading subtitles. I also like to listen to ghaelghe(sp) being spoken too as it is interestingly unique and foreign to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

no
    It's fantastic!

Seachtar na Casca on the leaders of 1916 is on every week
    Was watching Mobs Mheiriceá about Whitey Bulger and Irish gangs in Boston
    Lots of other documentaries, most with an Irish angle like the crew who perished looking for the North West Passage

Lots of sport

First Irish station to show The Wire

Smoking hot girls presenting the weather

And all done on a fraction of what RTÉ spends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

no
    They have some very good docs on it as mentioned above, i think when compared to RTE and TV3 whenit comes to making a doc with some substance in it, TG4 wins hands down. Id prefer if more money was diverted into this station than the others.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

no
    They have the Magnier's League so needs must but aside from that, some of the journalism is brilliant. That guy Neelo was really good and they have some decent documentaries.

The annoying thing is that so much of it is Connaught-based and even if you have some Irish, the accent is impossible to understand!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

They have the Magnier's League so needs must but aside from that, some of the journalism is brilliant. That guy Neelo was really good and they have some decent documentaries.

The annoying thing is that so much of it is Connaught-based and even if you have some Irish, the accent is impossible to understand!

I'd find it worse if it was in a Cork accent, I have difficulty understanding that one more than Connaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

no
    Q.1 Do I watch TG4? - Yes

Q.2 Why? - Because Ros na Run is the ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

no
    They have some great documentaries, and I've watched the odd film. Mainly tune in for their Gaelic coverage.

Edit: Also was the first place I saw Oz!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

no
    c_man wrote: »
    They have some great documentaries, and I've watched the odd film. Mainly tune in for their Gaelic coverage.

Edit: Also was the first place I saw Oz!
    This is mainly what i watch it for also , they out do rte by a mile in the documentaries category

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Never, they speak in some weird langauge

No, I think it's interference brought on by sunspot activity. It doesn't affect the sub-titles though, I can still understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

If the odd good film is on I might watch it on TG4, other than that, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

no
    Seacht
    Aifric
    Ros na Rún

all good shows in their own right too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

no
    I watch rugby on it, recently I learned:

Bosca an pheaca = sinbin.

Carta Buí= Yellow Card

Bhí sé san áit ceart ag an am ceart = He was in the right place at the right time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

It's a mixed bag. I watch some of their documentaries, some of the movies they have scheduled. But as for the Irish language programing... cant say I spend an awful lot of time viewing that. Still, it's marginally better than the dreck that is RTE 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

no
    No "Sometimes" option?

I watch it sometimes...usually have some good movies on there (in english) and some of their documentaries, particulalrly on Irish politics/history put RTÉ to shame. They also have the odd gem of a US import before anyone else...The Wire and Oz are great examples.
    Also like their weather report, good graphics, well presented and about at my level of competence in spoken "as gaelige".

You can argue it's a waste of money but I can point out several glaring wastes of money in this country that benefit even fewer people and aren't as visible as a niche TV station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

no
    Onesimus wrote: »

Documentary programming the likes of Fíor Scéal etc is top notch stuff they get from networks around the world. Excellent TV IMO. The country and western stuff... not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

no
    Sometimes. Like others have said, they have great films and documentarys at times.
    I definitely don't think it should be taken off the air!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carwash106

no
    +1 Should have a 'sometimes' option.

TG4 has good documentaries, particularly about days gone by in Ireland for example there was a documentary on a few months ago about inisshark(shark island) off the coast of inisboffin where the community on the island had to abandon their island life in the 60's and move to the mainland because the crossing was too dangerous with high seas and low support for emergecies etc.

They do interesting documentaries on a wide variety of people, places and topics.
    I dont watch the irish language programs, I can speak and understand irish but many of the shows are in irish hard for me to understand(i.e. irish from donegal, other gaeltachts etc)
    Also all the shows are subtitles and its very hard not to read while you are watching.

Sometimes they show good films but i always turn over when they are dubbed.

Advertisement