Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November Boards Foldathon

• 30-10-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

What is the Foldathon:
    Well, we had a pretty good start last month, with 158k points, and 12 participants. Let's go for 20 Folders, and a round 200k this month. With any luck, these P6701s will pass, and we can let our CPUs loose. :D

How it works:
    Run Folding@home for team boards.ie (number 39432) during the specified times. If you don't know what Folding@home is, feel free to make a thread in the forum or check these guides:

What is Folding?
    CPU Folding
    GPU Folding

When?:

Wednesday November 17th (5pm), until Friday November 19th (5pm).

Sign-Up:
    No need to sign up again if you took part last month.

> Sign up Link HERE <

Current sign ups

Stats

Sig Link:

[php]biggrin.gif Join the November Foldathonbiggrin.gif[/php]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Right, I added another graph, this time showing total points.

Not really that spectacular now, but a few more Foldathons and it'll be important. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You might need to expand the x-axis a bit, only every second name is showing :o

I don't think I can do anything about that; limitation of GDocs.

However, if you click "Edit this page" at the bottom, you can see the full version. :)

Not all of us have a GoogleAccount :p

Or at least, a GoogleAccount that Google doesn't lovingly WIPE every few weeks :mad:

I use my MSN account. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

When I click "Edit this page" all I get is that I don't have permission.:(
    And I have a google account.

Ok, try it now. Sol, I don't think it needs a Google account either now. ;)

Still nothing.:( It doesn't really matter though because we can still see everything on the spreadsheet.
    It gives me this error when I click the "Edit this page" button.
    "We're sorry, (My Account Name) does not have permission to access this spreadsheet."
    I could request access, but thats just more trouble for you.

Oh Zodac, slightly off topic, but do you mind me asking what kind of beasts you and rockal fold on?
    All I can manage is to use is the PS3. The home computer's so slow that if I put anything else running on it I fear that it would start computing in reverse:o.
    The rest of the computers in the house aren't mine to commandeer or else aren't permanantly connected to the super hyper mega interweb.:p

Still nothing.:( It doesn't really matter though because we can still see everything on the spreadsheet.
    It gives me this error when I click the "Edit this page" button.
    "We're sorry, (My Account Name) does not have permission to access this spreadsheet."
    I could request access, but thats just more trouble for you.

I'll work on it nonetheless... I have set it to public, but will try again. ;)
    Oh Zodac, slightly off topic, but do you mind me asking what kind of beasts you and rockal fold on?
    All I can manage is to use is the PS3. The home computer's so slow that if I put anything else running on it I fear that it would start computing in reverse:o.
    The rest of the computers in the house aren't mine to commandeer or else aren't permanantly connected to the super hyper mega interweb.:p

I can't speak for rockal, but I've got a Q6600 and a 9800GT Folding for OCN that I bring over for the Foldathon. And there's an E8400 and GTS 250 that I can use for some of the Foldathon too.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Guh, signed up again without seeing that I didn't have to since I took part last time :p

Sorted it out. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Should someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction on what to do, I would be happy to throw a fairly modest AMD HD4870 and 965BE rig into the mix for at the very least a trial month (and hopefully more).

Just out of curiousity what would 48hrs folding straight on both do to my electricty bill?, generally I have a bit of OCD about not using daytime units whereever possible so this goes against every fibre of my being.

I would guess it wouldn't be much worse than accidently leaving few 100W bulbs on all day by accident? (Honestly it is my inner hippy, not inner tightarse that wants to know :pac:)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Should someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction on what to do, I would be happy to throw a fairly modest AMD HD4870 and 965BE rig into the mix for at the very least a trial month (and hopefully more).

Just out of curiousity what would 48hrs folding straight on both do to my electricty bill?, generally I have a bit of OCD about not using daytime units whereever possible so this goes against every fibre of my being.

I would guess it wouldn't be much worse than accidently leaving few 100W bulbs on all day by accident? (Honestly it is my inner hippy, not inner tightarse that wants to know :pac:)

Guides for both CPU and GPU are available here:
    CPU Folding
    GPU Folding

As for electric bills increase... I can't really say. Your hardware will be under 100% load while Folding, so it really depends on how much load you're putting on your hardware normally, and how long your computer is normally on. IIRC the 4870 has a TDP of 225W, right? While the 965 has a TDP of 125W, so that's ~350W at load (assuming everything is at stock). It would also depend on the efficiency of your PSU. So too many factors to give general answer...

You could use a killawatt and check how much your computer is pulling from the wall without Folding, and then compare when it is Folding, and that should give you a good idea.

Doubt a HD4870 would go anywhere near 225W (not TDP but the theoretical max for all its connectors) even while folding; under heavy 3D load it rarely goes much past 130W.

X4-965BE can chug through juice if heavily OCd though :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Cheers guys,

Will do some n00b experiments over the next few days, from what I am reading the 965BE CPU would be capable of racking up about twice as many ppd as the 4870 all else being equal? It also appears that the GPU2 client will pretty much tie up one of the CPU cores when run on ATI GPU hurting, and so impair the CPU folding a little?

Will try out both clients seperately and together over the next few weeks to what suits best, I think I may just go with the CPU (overclocked to 3.8GHz) as the regular folder as it will a better return per watt, and my GPU fan could well drive me insane (I am considering replacing it at the moment for different reasons), but I could certainly use both for foldathon days.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Doubt a HD4870 would go anywhere near 225W (not TDP but the theoretical max for all its connectors) even while folding; under heavy 3D load it rarely goes much past 130W.

Hmm... I will note this. Thanks. :)
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Cheers guys,

Will do some n00b experiments over the next few days, from what I am reading the 965BE CPU would be capable of racking up about twice as many ppd as the 4870 all else being equal? It also appears that the GPU2 client will pretty much tie up one of the CPU cores when run on ATI GPU hurting, and so impair the CPU folding a little?

Will try out both clients seperately and together over the next few weeks to what suits best, I think I may just go with the CPU (overclocked to 3.8GHz) as the regular folder as it will a better return per watt, and my GPU fan could well drive me insane (I am considering replacing it at the moment for different reasons), but I could certainly use both for foldathon days.

Honestly, Folding on the CPU only would probably be best for now. It won't be too much longer until the new client is out, and while it probably won't improve performance on ATi 4 series, it will probably have less CPU usage, which means you could use it with the SMP client, without having to give up a whole core. ;)

Plus you want to get your first 10 SMP WUs done ASAP so you're earning bonuses before you hit the Foldathon, that's the mistake I made and I was a good 60-70% down on points because of that :eek: I was making ~600PPD instead of 2k, the difference is that much running the SMP client 24/7 - and on a measly dualie to boot! :eek:

zodac wrote: »
    Hmm... I will note this. Thanks. :)

Bear in mind that its the average - some extreme cases (Crysis Warhead!!) will make any GPU go higher, and FurMark will make it go higher still. These aren't "normal" conditions though! Nor is OCCT, which can get nearly twice as much current as usual going through the GPU :eek: Like IBT/LinMark you're only supposed to run it for a few seconds or the component will melt. Literally. Those really are server-grade stability tests, even F@H doesn't need that! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Count me in lads. I've never even switched off the machine since the last Foldathon, it's constantly folding! :)

BeciMester wrote: »
    Count me in lads. I've never even switched off the machine since the last Foldathon, it's constantly folding! :)

That's what I like to hear. :)

I think by the end of this Foldathon, we could well be top 300. :D

Not at this rate! Another P6702 here... *facepalm*

Can't wait for the new i5 to arrive! :D

One down, first 481 points on the board :)

So 9 more to go over the next two weeks before the foldathon, it should be feasible I reckon as I usually have the PC constantly on when I am at home so can get a good 6 hours in the evenings, with a few overnight sessions thrown in if needs be.

Am I right in thinking that as I don't yet qualify for bonuses it doesn't really make any difference to my points total if I stop mid WU currently, once it gets completed by the deadline?

Nope, all it does is slow down how fast you get those first ten WUs out of the way :)

My PC is now screwing around :mad: Halfway through that P6702 it made my PC vomit and killed F@H, HFM and P-Tuner and has now restarted the WU from scratch! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

So let me get this straight: as someone who earns bonuses already, can I interrupt folding for like a 2-3 hour gaming session, without any repercussions? IOW, will I be OK as long as I meet the deadline?

You'll be fine, you'll just complete fewer WUs and get fewer points for each.

BeciMester wrote: »
    So let me get this straight: as someone who earns bonuses already, can I interrupt folding for like a 2-3 hour gaming session, without any repercussions? IOW, will I be OK as long as I meet the deadline?

You will get lower PPD than if you were Folding constantly. Each minute longer means less points when you eventually drop the WU.

But as long as you finish within the 3 day Preferred Deadline, it's fine.

If you finish after the Pref, but before the Final Deadline (6 days) you get the base points (~480pts). But is will count as a failed WU for your WU success rate. And if that success rate falls below 80%, you stop getting bonuses (until you go above 80% again).

Do WU's failed as a result of glitching/crashing count toward that too? Or just late WUs?

• Advertisement

I'm not 100%, but I think if it's a FahCore.exe error, it doesn't count. But if it's an error due to closing the client down incorrectly, or an unstable OC, then it would be a failed WU.

Advertisement