Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone got parking tickets at county finals?

• 02-11-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone got parking tickets at county finals in Pearse stadium on Sunday. We parked on the hill at Bishop O Donnell rd along with 20 other cars at the time and walked down. Had a ticket on window when got back, just wondering if anyone else got one?? Thought it was a bit much given the games were on. Them guards wouldn`t want to have seen Athenry 2 weeks ago for them games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Park legally and you won't get a ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is no excuse for illegal parking. An Garda Siochana have been turning a blind eye to this practice for years. Any car on a footpath should be towed in my opinion.

But I think those tickets were only given out for optics, that the Garda were seen to be doing their job, normally you don't realise you've been fined until you get it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

I`m not giving out so much about getting the ticket, hands up i was in the wrong...just wondering if anyone else got tickets.. On the other side, any place outside the city you wouldn`t have this attending games- esp county finals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Loads of motorists got parking fines on sunday, not just you. It was on the wireless.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Loads of motorists got parking fines on sunday, not just you. It was on the wireless.

Thats what i`m asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, seen it before. I know it's a pain but the same goes for the local residents that have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

In fairness they gave warning that they would ticket cars parked illegally

It's frightening to see a woman with a buggy walking on a main road because of idiots parked up and completely blocking a footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

They should have had a big car park in the plans when doing up Pearse Stadium. Only in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

In fairness I think the O.P. was trying to find out / point out if others there were ticketed also. Don't know if there's any need to re-tell the laws of the land ..... Am sure they're aware of this, and it wasn't what was asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Where are people supposed to park when there's a big game on in Pearse Stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Absolute disgrace, where are people supposed to park if they can't park on the side of the road?
    And as for the guards saying they had people warned, well not every one would have heard of this.
    Either do it for every match or don't do it at all.

In fairness I think the O.P. was trying to find out / point out if others there were ticketed also. Don't know if there's any need to re-tell the laws of the land ..... Am sure they're aware of this, and it wasn't what was asked.

here here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was at a county final recently , parked legally on Threadneedle Road ....**hint** that is not Threadneedle Footpath.... and AMAZINGLY they never gave me my ticket the oul hoors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

kraggy wrote: »

That's the GAA's problem, they are not above the law although sometimes the lines are blurred.

The problem is local residents have been putting up with cars just being abandoned in and around the stadium for years with the Gardai turning a blind eye.

The GAA has a lot of Gardai members so you do the math...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

dartsfan wrote: »
    Absolute disgrace, where are people supposed to park if they can't park on the side of the road?
    And as for the guards saying they had people warned, well not every one would have heard of this.
    Either do it for every match or don't do it at all.

Exactly! It's hard to park legally as it's so wittingly put when there isn't any place to ..... Even with parking a fair distance away and a good walking distance involved ...... This has been the case for years and years. So alas even with prospective illegel instances, there is the odd genuine occasion where this is much easier said than done .....

Any-one who wants to get into an argument about cars parked all over the kirbs EVERY day of the week all over the freakin' place be my guest! Would love if you could come up with any solution as well.

Now back On-Topic please! :p:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

If I won the Euro Millions I would build the GAA a new Stadium in a better location and I would then turn Pearse Stadium into a Halting Site along with a Methadone Clinic and an Off License that sells Buckfast at Cost Price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

gizmo73 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone got parking tickets at county finals in Pearse stadium on Sunday. We parked on the hill at Bishop O Donnell rd along with 20 other cars at the time and walked down. Had a ticket on window when got back, just wondering if anyone else got one?? Thought it was a bit much given the games were on. Them guards wouldn`t want to have seen Athenry 2 weeks ago for them games.

There is a piece in todays star page 79 about this. I dont listen to galway bay fm but was channel hopping one morning last week and heard jimmy norman talking about it, he warned listeners the would get tickets. It seems fifty cars got tickets two weeks ago there.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Well because there was a pure abandonism of cars at last years county final, te gardai felt it was appropriate to be down there with the book!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

neaideabh wrote: »
    Well because there was a pure abandonism of cars at last years county final, te gardai felt it was appropriate to be down there with the book!!!
    shure ya cant be doin da!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

http://www.pearsestadium.ie/

If you are going there this might help.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

neaideabh wrote: »
    Well because there was a pure abandonism of cars at last years county final

That phrase is "Blatant Abandonmentness Of Cars" ( @1.06 ) ..actually. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That phrase is "Blatant Abandonmentness Of Cars" ( @1.06 ) ..actually. :D

True!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Delighted to hear this!

For years, cars have parked all along the Kingston Road for these matches even though there's no parking on this road. I've had some people who even felt free to park in (not at, not blocking, but in!) my driveway.

I hope cars were ticketed on Kingston Road as well.

The GAA is a wealthy broadly spread organisation. It shouldn't be beyond it to organise some park and ride type arrangement for its fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

That's the GAA's problem

If you look at Thomond park, they have a really good system of park and ride facilities on the outskirts of limerick coming in all of the main roads. Its completely the responsibility of the sporting body involved to ensure minimum disruption to residents.

By the way, a terrace ticket for most matches in Thomond is around the 20-25 euro mark, so if munster can do it and pay for a fantastic stadium and run the Munster branch and pay a professional sports team,.... you can't say its beyond the finances of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

we parked in the Bailey Point carpark and walked up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Theres plenty of parking on a Sunday around town. Then get a bus or walk, simple. There's no excuse for breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Theres plenty of parking on a Sunday around town. Then get a bus or walk, simple. There's no excuse for breaking the law.

This is one of those instances where the law should be the least of anyones' concern. What about the children, people in wheelchairs, residents, other motorists cyclist, pedestrians, blind people......you get the drift......who are put in danger by lazy inconsiderate sports "fans" who can't be bothered parking in such a way as not to be a danger to other people. Not killing or maiming them should be more important than avoiding a parking fine.

There's been talk about the GAA being brought into disrepute by thuggish elements attacking referees. Well, to my mind, these fans who park wherever the hell they want also bring the GAA into disrepute. This must be particularly frustrating for considerate fans such as Xiney and Sponge Bob who have the cop on to park in such a way as not to endanger other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Now do this outside churches as well please

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Garda , GBFM City/connachttribune ran big story on the parking in Salthill 2 weeks ago when a few car got done and then last week again thr/fri story was on Paper/radio . there was 2 carparks open in Salthill Bailey Point, Salthill and St Enda 2nd school on Threadneedle Road, Car park up on the paths , across drive ways
    , on the publc parks at Devon park oaklands salthill , i walk out to salthill from town and it was like seen out flim . Abandoned cars that wount done in Town , you be ticket my GCC are Garda

The house next to my mates was blocked on Rockbarton rd for 4 hours and happen lot there . pearsestadium ... wont every chat to there loacls ...

Car Parks available at the following venues as arranged by G.A.A. authorities

1. The Prairie - never used as it football pitch
    2. Colaiste Einde
    3. St. Enda's Primary School Parking Restrictions to Gaa officls and playyers ... was that the Loughrea playyers bus parked on path block people on the path at rockbarton .... one law for the Gaa
    St. Mary's College dont want there pitches been used

there park and ride from race track .... has it every happen ?

that would happen any where eles but Ireland

gaa sporting organisation that promoting Fittness ... God walk to the place ...
    every Gaa game i gone to it same story Abandoned cars for 4 hours and the loacls wont mind ,,,,,,

Ya right

• Advertisement

The car park that was in one of schools ,St Enda`s i think, was charging €5. Where was this money going to considering in the city and other places street parking is free on a Sunday??

Advertisement