Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** CAO - a few important points! (Change Of Mind closes 5.15 1st July)***

Options
  • 02-11-2010 9:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The whole CAO application process works on a basic principle ... that YOU know what you want!

It is important to understand this, and to understand how the system is set up based on that principle.

When the CAO gets round to offering places, you will be offered the first course on your list for which you have enough points, and everything below that on the list vanishes instantly. If you missed a higher ranked option on your list by a few points, and the points drop in a later round, you may well be offered that ... but you will never be offered a lower option on your list, even if the points for it were higher than the course you were offered, and you achieved those points.

The system presumes you knew your own mind when you ranked your choices.

Which is why it is absolutely essential that you rank your CAO choices in the order in which YOU would like to be offered them ... NOT according to what way you think the points might go, not in order of supposed status, not for any other reason except "I really want to do X, that goes down first; if I don't get X, then Y is my next preference ..." and so on.

Or ... as one of your own peers puts it ...
    dan_d wrote: »

Golden Rule for the CAO, which most people don't seem to cop...

Put the course you want the most in the top position, regardless of whether or not you think you'll get the points.

You cannot go up on the CAO form. Only down. You won't get it if you don't at least ask!!!!

The CAO itself puts it this way:

Order of Preference:

It is MOST IMPORTANT that you state your course choices in view of genuine preference and/or career plans.

IT IS A MISTAKE to base your choices only on your present expectation of examination performance or the points levels of previous years.

There is no need to fear that a statement of your genuine order of preference will militate against you. If you are not successful in your first choice this will have no effect on your chances of obtaining a place in one of your lower preferences.

So ... why am I basically repeating the same thing three times?! Premature senility?!!

No ... because year after year, this is the thing which trips people up, no matter how often it is said!!

*** Link to CAO Handbook ***

Link to CAO log-in page ... log into your CAO account here!

How the CAO works: (Page 22 of 2011 Handbook)

Offer of highest preference

You will be offered a place in the highest of your course preferences to which you are entitled (if any).

This will be done, independently, in respect of Level 8 and Level 7/Level 6 choices.

You may, therefore, receive two offers at the same time; one for the highest Level 8 preference to which you are entitled and the other for the highest Level 7/Level 6 preference to which you are entitled.

Exclusion from lower preferences

IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in one of your course preferences, you are excluded from further consideration for any course which is lower in your order of preference than the one in which you have been offered a place.

This means that while you may subsequently move upwards in your order of preference (if places become available due to withdrawals) you will not be considered for a place in a course which is a lower preference than that already offered.

Later offers for higher preference

If you are being offered a place in a course which is not your first preference, you may subsequently be offered a place in a course of higher preference if such a place becomes available.

This applies whether or not the earlier offer has been accepted. It is NOT necessary to accept an offer in order to be considered for a higher preference if it becomes available later. There is no guarantee, of course, that a higher preference will become available.

Non-acceptance of subsequent offers

Having accepted an offer of a place, you are not obliged to accept a subsequent offer. You may retain the original offer simply by ignoring the subsequent one.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Would I be ok posting this here too? Thought it might be a better place for people to see it! :)
    If you don't mind of course...

I wrote this after having to advise a few people I know on the CAO. Did it myself two years ago so I know the stress. Just thought that this might help some of ye too! :)
    Been advising loads of lil 6th years atm so thought I'd share my wisdom with you guys too! Mods if you want to move or delete this go ahead and I apologise for whatever I did! :)

1. Do not not put down a course because teh points are too high. In fact don't even look at the points for your choices of 1 - 9. I'm sure you've all been told this 1,000 times but just put everything in your order of preference. Whatever course appeals to you most is number 1. i don't care if it's 20 points or 600! (I have just had to kill someone for doing the opposite of this so clearly some people still don't know this!)

2. Always have a back up of some sort. One course at number 10 that is attainable no matter what. If you're aiming for a certain profession something that can be a backdoor into this is the perfect number 10. Arts would be one of the best bets: can get you into psychology, law, teaching, etc. Science is also common for medicine and Vetinary. Things can go wrong and you may end up disappointed so try save yourself ending up with 0 options and keep yourself a back up.

3. Don't forget that the decision that you make now is not your final decision. You still have 5 months to change your mind as much as you want. In fact after the exams is nearly the best time as you will have a better idea of how your exams actually went.

4. When researching courses look at everything! Obviously the main thing is what the course entails but also look at the college, how you would get there (commuting, moving up), how you feel about the campus, anybody who you have met there. And most importantly when looking at courses go into deeper detail than just the main information. Find out what modules you will actually be studying, are they the kind of thing that you would be interested in in that subject? Are you given options within modules? Find people who have done the course too to get a genuine opinion of it. Someone who knows exactly what it's like. Sometimes the big difference for people between the same course in two different places is what modules you are offered and that can be the difference between which would suit you more.

5. Don't panic. There is no point in this at all! CAO is not the end of the world. it's just another one of those annoying bumps that 6th year likes to bring!

6. if you don't get what you hoped for don't give up. That's what your back up is for and remember that there is a back door into everything. this time next year no one will care what points you got. You will be in the course you chose and in a few years you will have the degree/diploma/certificate/whatever to prove that you did it! Trust me it's not worth the stress at the end of it!

7. If this time next year what you thought to be the perfect CAO choice turns out to be a disaster. Tell someone! Don't suffer because you made your choice. Drop out and find something better for you. So many people only realise when they start their course that it's not what they thought it would be. Don't be ashamed

This is all coming from personal experience from doing this all myself 2 years ago and the results I got from it. I don't want to see anyone disappointed because they didn't get their choice from silly mistakes or ending up with nothing.

Also I'm sure there's a couple of potential Law students here and I would hugely suggest putting down Arts in Maynooth as your number 10! It saved me after a disaster of a leaving cert! I was absolutely gutted on results day and if it wasn't for my number 10 I have no clue where I would be! Luckily for me that was the year that Maynooth decided to offer Law as an Arts subject! I'm now a 2nd year Law and History BCL student and I could not be happier!

If anyone has any CAO, LC, College, NUI Maynooth, Law, or Law through Arts in maynooth questions feel free to PM me! I'm happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I wrote this earlier in a previous thread. I think it would be a good idea idea if I put it here aswell.

With DARE there is 3 types of information you have to fill out the First part which you do yourself or with your teacher. Then the Second form the school fills out and the Third form an Occupational Theripist or Consultant fills out. You then send them off to CAO in Galway. I sent mine by registered post because it was essential that that infomation got to Galway safely and in good time.

The amount of points you get off the course varies from institution to institution. I got 45 points off my course.

NOTE: DON'T FORGET TO TICK THE BOX, WHERE IT SAYS DO YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR DARE. THAT IS TOO IMPORTANT, YOU DON'T TICK IT YOU WONT HAVE A CHANCE OF BEING CONSIDERED FOR DARE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cli101

Would I be ok posting this here too? Thought it might be a better place for people to see it! :)
    If you don't mind of course...

I wrote this after having to advise a few people I know on the CAO. Did it myself two years ago so I know the stress. Just thought that this might help some of ye too! :)
    hi!!i am currently in first year arts in UCC and im not very happy there!!i was 10 points short for primary teaching and like yourself was delighted i had arts down as it is a good back door for many job oppertunities.however, i am considering transferring to Maynooth next year to finish out my arts degree.is there a good atmosphere in the college?how do you find the arts course there??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

cli101 wrote: »
    hi!!i am currently in first year arts in UCC and im not very happy there!!i was 10 points short for primary teaching and like yourself was delighted i had arts down as it is a good back door for many job oppertunities.however, i am considering transferring to Maynooth next year to finish out my arts degree.is there a good atmosphere in the college?how do you find the arts course there??

As far as I'm concerned the atmosphere is absolutely brilliant! It's a real small town atmosphere: everyone knows each other, everyone gets along, there's always great craic around! I did law, history and sociology in first year and I had no real problems other than seriously hating sociology but that was more to do with personal preferences. I would definitely recommend it though! Students are well looked after, nothing is ever too far away, the lecturers are all really approachable. It might be easier to give an opinion if you could tell me what subjects you are thinking of doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Which is why it is absolutely essential that you rank your CAO choices in the order in which YOU would like to be offered them ... NOT according to what way you think the points might go, not in order of supposed status, not for any other reason except "I really want to do X, that goes down first; if I don't get X, then Y is my next preference ..." and so on.

Absolutely right. For example I have a friend who's repeating this year, not because he didn't get the points, but because he put French and Russian in Trinity down as his first choice for teh lolz, thinking there was no way he'd get it. He got it. So all of his "real choices" were invalid. And no, I don't know why he didn't just take a year out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Just a quick reminder to you all that this Thursday, 20th January at 17:15 is the deadline for availing of the discounted early bird rate of €30 for registering on the CAO website.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

:eek: CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY I CANT UPDATE MY CHOICES ON THE CAO WEBSITE???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

brownlad wrote: »
    :eek: CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY I CANT UPDATE MY CHOICES ON THE CAO WEBSITE???

That facility is closed until May. Thats why.

unknown13 wrote: »

sound ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Currently, my number one course is BIS in UCC and I've got Business in UL at number four but I want to switch Business in UL to number one. I've applied for HEAR so I'm wondering if changing the courses in May/June (whenever it reopens) will affect my Hear application? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Currently, my number one course is BIS in UCC and I've got Business in UL at number four but I want to switch Business in UL to number one. I've applied for HEAR so I'm wondering if changing the courses in May/June (whenever it reopens) will affect my Hear application? Thanks!

Sorry dude my gf is applying for hear too ... Does she just send the forms away yea?

Sorry dude my gf is applying for hear too ... Does she just send the forms away yea?

Well she'll have to have applied already on the CAO site, but yeah send off the supporting documents to CAO (Get the CAO book stamped in the post office for proof) and keep a photocopy of them all..

Ah right sound ... And you know for the welfare form ... Onli one of her parents got social payments in 2009 does she just leave the other part blank? As in just fill in for one parent ..

Ah right sound ... And you know for the welfare form ... Onli one of her parents got social payments in 2009 does she just leave the other part blank? As in just fill in for one parent ..

Yep, that's what I did too!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Is there any way that I can check the amount of people that are applying/applied previously to a course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Princess18

What Would Happen If I Want A Course That Has Lower Points Than A Course I Have Down For Higher Points But I Get The Higher Points One.. Can I Choose The One With The Lower Points?.. Or Is It Okay If I Put The Choice With Lower Points Up Higher On My CAO?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Princess18 wrote: »
    What Would Happen If I Want A Course That Has Lower Points Than A Course I Have Down For Higher Points But I Get The Higher Points One.. Can I Choose The One With The Lower Points?.. Or Is It Okay If I Put The Choice With Lower Points Up Higher On My CAO?
    The answer to this is in the first few lines of the first post!! :)

should the cao know my exam number already ?? cause i just took a look at my application and my exam number isn't there.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Junai_Dahma

should the cao know my exam number already ?? cause i just took a look at my application and my exam number isn't there.:eek:

am wondering the same!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

i am re-applying through the cao again this year ( having done so last year). However, this time i did not receive a letter from cao confirming my course choices. Is there anyway of checking that my choices have been registered?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Can I change the order of restricted courses once the CAO opens again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Can I change the order of restricted courses once the CAO opens again?

Yup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ashiya

Hello all,

I have a relatively urgent question. I have an interview for a level 8 course that I have applied to, which is my second overall choice, soon. (Really hoping I get it!)

Now, today I got an offer for a level 7 course. Problem is, I did not have to apply to CAO for this course. Another problem is, both courses (lvl 8 with interview and the level 7 offer) are from the same university!

Since they are from the same uni and the level 7 choice was not through CAO, will me accepting this affect my level 8 choice? I don't want to ruin my chances at interview!

Thank you

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ashiya,

no-one here will be able to answer that for you, I'm afraid. You should talk to the Admissions Office or the relevant course contacts.

Be very positive ... you are of course delighted to have received the current offer, but the Level 8 course is your "dream course" etc. etc., you get the idea, spread it on *reasonably* thick! ... what would they advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jam08

have a question here. I tried to login to my account today to check my courses. thing is I forgot my password and now I'm locked out of the account. How do I fix this (btw, I've emailed the cao but they usually take ages to reply)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

unknown13 wrote: »

Should it be re-opened? I logged in but I can't change my choices.

5th of May, or the 6th. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    5th of May, or the 6th. :)

Just found out it's tomorrow http://www.caocourses.ie/cao-2011-timetable/.
    Thanks anyway!
    I don't know why but i'm looking forward to changing mine.:D

NotExactly wrote: »
    Just found out it's tomorrow http://www.caocourses.ie/cao-2011-timetable/.
    Thanks anyway!
    I don't know why but i'm looking forward to changing mine.:D

Oh wow, that's sooner than I'd expected! I had my course saved in my bookmarks with 5May beside it just to make sure I wouldn't forget!

Yay for tomorrow so! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sammy12321

hello all
    well i had my CAO applied but i didnt put in any courses yet, is there any chance that i put in on the 5th of may ?
    and i wonder what happen if i didn't put in any courses in the form and i get enough points for it, would i still able to attend to college after all ?

i think i am late for CAO application their are closed !! :(

Advertisement