Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's Telling Political Porkies?

Options
  • 14-11-2010 2:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Someone is telling porkies!

Biffo says we are not in talks/negotiation over loans.
    The BBC and Sunday Times alone say he/we are?

Who do you think is closer to the truth?

On one side:
    The Government has denied for the second time in 24 hours that it is in bailout talks with the EU, after the BBC reported yesterday that "preliminary talks" on financial support are taking place.
    The BBC report made the unsubstantiated statement that recourse to the EU bailout fund was "no longer a matter of whether but when".
    But a spokesman for the Department of Finance was adamant last night: "There are no talks on an application for emergency funding from the European Union."
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cowen-fury-at-bbc-when-not-whether-bailout-claim-2419458.html

...But the BBC pointed out that Greece said the same "there are no negotiations" then suddenly there had been and loans were given!

On the other side:
    The Republic of Ireland is in preliminary talks with EU officials for financial support, the BBC has learned.
    It is now no longer a matter of whether but when the Irish government formally approaches the European Financial Stability Fund (EFSF) for a bailout, correspondents say.
    The provisional estimate for EFSF loans is believed to lie between 60bn and 80bn euros ($82-110bn; £51-68bn).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11750676
    European officials are trying to force Ireland to agree to a big rise in its rate of corporation tax as a condition of an economic rescue package. Rumours of an €80 billion (£69 billion) European Union bailout of the Irish economy gathered momentum this weekend as sources in Brussels claimed “preliminary” talks were taking place.

Although Ireland has yet to make a formal request for aid from the €750 billion eurozone bailout fund, City sources said tentative discussions had taken place on the structure of any rescue. Last night, Brian Cowen, speaking for Taoiseach, said there had been “no discussions of any sort about funding”.

France and Germany have said that Ireland would have to raise its 12.5% corporation tax rate in exchange for aid, according to sources close to the talks. Dublin’s tax breaks have been a long-standing source of irritation for both countries.

Brian Lenihan, the Irish finance minister, is fiercely opposed to the move for fear it would kill off an Irish economic recovery.
    The “Celtic Tiger” economy was built on low corporate taxes that were used to attract inward investment from multinationals such as Intel, Pfizer and Dell.

Fears for Ireland’s financial health resurfaced last week after comments from Angela Merkel, the German chancellor. Merkel raised fears that investors in Irish debt would be forced to take losses on their existing bonds as part of a restructuring of the country’s debt. A statement on Friday morning, endorsed by Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Spain, said this would not happen.

Yields on Irish bonds, which hit a record of 8.95% on Thursday, fell back to 8.14%.
    Lenihan has repeatedly denied that the country needs any external aid, arguing that “it makes no sense”.

Brussels, meanwhile, has insisted that Ireland has not applied for assistance from the European Financial Stability Fund. Sources close to the Irish government were claiming last night that Brussels was attempting to force the country into an EU rescue deal through a series of leaks. Ireland does not need to raise more debt until the second quarter of next year.

Portugal has also been in the spotlight in recent days, amid fears that it, too, could be forced into a debt restructuring. The Portuguese authorities are keen to shore up confidence in the country’s banks.
    Bank of China, the state-owned lender, is in talks to buy a stake of up to 10% in Banco BPI, Portugal’s third-largest lender.

The stake would be acquired in exchange for access to the bank’s fast-growing business in Angola. Millennium BCP, another Portuguese bank, is in talks with Chinese institutions about a similar deal.

http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/2875/wwwthesundaytimescoukst.jpg
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Economy/article446396.ece

So who is telling the truth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Do you seriously expect me to read that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Do you seriously expect me to read that?
    I expect you to roll over - like the rest of us - come December the 7th and tale it up the ass.
    I'll share the lube with you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Sick of hearing about it to be honest.

Robocop is cool.

Sick of hearing about it to be honest.

Robocop is cool.

I have to disagree.

Robocop WAGNER is cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It's very simple.

We don't even need the BBC (but thank God for foreign media, they're doing the job ours should be).

In a nutshell, Biffo and Lendahand have said something, ergo the opposite is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Biggins wrote: »
    I have to disagree.

Robocop **** is cool.

Dizzgusting remark. Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I did a nice little post on this topic yesterday, and it vanished without a trace.:eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I did a nice little post on this topic yesterday, and it vanished without a trace.:eek:
    LOL
    After Hours - the Twilight Zone of the internet! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some minister is being asked directly on RTE radio 1 and has said he is not aware of any moves being made. So he doesn't know whats going on....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Our Government are afraid to tell us the truth of their folly.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Some minister is being asked directly on RTE radio 1 and has said he is not aware of any moves being made. So he doesn't know whats going on....

It's a FF thing, Bertie did the same wrt his lodgements.

Perceived ignorance is better in their world than being caught out in a public lie, or breaking party lines by actually telling the truth for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The phrase "the BBC has learned" isn't explained in the article, it all seems to be based on "eurozone officials" telling Reuters that Ireland getting financial assistance is very likely. All this was widely reported at the time and the BBC (or whoever wrote it) appear to be letting on that they know more than they actually do.

This thread by the way is not about politics per se - its about who is more accurate in the truth!

The media or Ireland?

This thread by the way is not about politics per se - its about who is more accurate in the truth!

The media or Ireland?

Our Government would be slightly more truthful than say Indimedia.:pac::pac:

The rest of the world's media or Ireland's politicians and their scribbling lackeys?

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They'd be negligent if they hadn't had talks at this stage as it is a real possibility we will be using the fund.

So, actually, they probably haven't had talks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

"...and in Political news today,minister for communications Mohammed Saïd al-Sahaf
    has again stated that the cabinet in Kildare st are not in negotiations with the ECB or indeed the IMF"
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'd take what the BBc is saying with a pinch of salt, every institution is likely to want to see how this budget goes first at least

And if our corporation tax is touched we are in big big trouble, that is the only thing retaining any industry that we have left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

This is like the 4th thread about the same thing.....

More about the situation here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056088651

PCros wrote: »

Which one is most believable?:p

• Advertisement

PCros wrote: »

Actually this thread about who's telling the truth - not about the situation itself!

The material supplied from media sources above is to substantiate truth from one side or the other - not to debate the political points themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Actually its about who's telling the truth - not about the situation itself!

Add a poll so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'd be more concerned if the matter had not been discussed. At this point, every 'what if' scenario should be trashed out and a plan of action put in place, whether that scenario is us needing a European bailout or the economy returning to growth and good times. Having talks about a potential but hypothetical situation is the responsible thing to do, but the slant the media is putting on it is that talking about it means it is going to happen.

So yes, the government is probably lying, but the media is reporting it as "secret talks = bailout definitely going to happen".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

punchdrunk wrote: »
    "...and in Political news today,minister for communications Mohammed Saïd al-Sahaf
    has again stated that the cabinet in Kildare st are not in negotiations with the ECB or indeed the IMF"
    ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wanted to make the point that cat has made. Just because a potential outcome is being discussed dies not imply that it will actually happen.

I wanted to make the point that cat has made. Just because a potential outcome is being discussed dies not imply that it will actually happen.
    This is possibly true and a good point to dwell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its the political equivolent of a footballer claiming he wants to leave his club in an article that has no quotes from the player and lots of "a source said" or "a close associate said".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

If Cowen said it was sunny outside I'd look out the window to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The politicians.

Isn't that part of their job description?

• Advertisement

I expect you to roll over - like the rest of us - come December the 7th and tale it up the ass.
    I'll share the lube with you. ;)

We're getting lube?!
    I thought it was just cheese and happy thoughts.

On topic: I'd imagine there's more than a few little white lies coming out of the Dail these days.

Advertisement