Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Raising their Prices on 4th Jan Again!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

totally agree, there a total joke, they must be living in an alternate universe where they taught the budget was the exact opposite of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

To Quote the bottom of the webpage:

UPC’s Broadband and Phone services remain excellent value, however under the terms of your contract you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of 3 December 2010 without penalty if you do not agree with these price changes. Continued use of the services after this date is deemed to be acceptance of the changes.

I guess I know what I'll be doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

never mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Great another price increase from UPC for providing the same standard of service !
    A like their term "price change" :( everything is increased so it a fricking "Price Increase" were all not dumb !! :mad:
    This year they increased the standalone charge, already so they are making enough money from us.

And I like the way its nicely hidden on their webpage, I dont even have a message when I logged into My UPC, My Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It annoys me how they can send me out a text message to tell me that my bill is due to be paid, but not to warn me of price increases. If I hadnt read it on here Id probably not have known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭spannerism

God...that's annoying to say the least.....they picked a good week to do it too....gangsters.

I was thinking of downgrading my BB from 15m/b to 8m/b....the 8m/b is moving up from €25 to €32.....that's some increase there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

never mind...

:confused: what??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Sweet f**kin Jesus - my bill will go from €58.75 (digital max + 8mg Broadband) to €67?? a 14% hike? What planet are these idiots living on?

OMG - actually can't believe that. Freesat is getting ever closer...

Just noticed a quick fix, will drop broadband down to 5mg, eircom are probably competitive at that price though, no idea. Where the hell did 5 and 1mg broadband come from?

Absolute joke, will let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Sols12 wrote: »

UPC’s Broadband and Phone services remain excellent value, however under the terms of your contract you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of 3 December 2010 without penalty if you do not agree with these price changes. Continued use of the services after this date is deemed to be acceptance of the changes.

That is also rather sneaky, as most people won't realise until they are billed in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

So annoying, for me it's that downgrade clause. I was only asking about waiving a downgrade fee for something last week. Got into a pickle over it, now they release this allowing us to downgrade for free. UPC haven't a clue any more. They are getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I presume the analogue TV service will be going up in price as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Think I might just cancel for saorview.

If I cancel my upc cable tv sub. and keep my BB. Is it true that they can't stop the basic analogue tv channels coming through?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Could UPC make it more difficult to follow these increases ?

Once again their disregard for their customers shines through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Think I might just cancel for saorview.

If I cancel my upc cable tv sub. and keep my BB. Is it true that they can't stop the basic analogue tv channels coming through?

Buy a hd combo box. All the satellite channels and RTEs etc. No fee. see terrestrial forum. Eg Ferguson Ariva HD Combo €169. No more bills - one remote - one channel list.

Basic Channels

001 RTE1
    002 RTE2 HD
    003 TV3
    003 3e
    004 TG4
    004 RTE News Now
    005 BBC1 NI
    005 BBC 1 HD
    006 BBC2 NI
    007 BBC Three
    008 BBC Four
    009 BBC HD
    010 UTV
    011 ITV2
    012 ITV2+1
    013 ITV3
    014 ITV3+1
    015 ITV4
    016 ITV4+1
    017 ITV HD
    018 Channel 4
    019 Channel 4+1
    020 E4
    021 E4+1
    022 More4
    023 More4+1
    024 Channel 5

Movies

025 Film4
    026 Film4+1
    027 True Movies
    028 True Movies2
    029 Movies4Men
    030 Movies4Men + 1
    031 Movies4Men2
    032 Movies4Men2 + 1
    033 Simply Movies

News

034 BBC News
    035 Sky News Ireland
    036 CNN
    037 Bloomberg
    038 Euronews
    039 France 24
    040 Russia Today
    041 Al Jazeera
    042 BBC Parliament

Music

043 The Vault
    044 Chart Show TV
    045 NME TV
    046 Flava
    047 Bliss
    048 Scuzz
    049 Flaunt
    050 Rockworld TV
    051 Clubland
    052 Brit Hits

Other Entertainment

053 Men & Motors
    054 BBC Alba
    055 S4C
    056 BET
    057 Paranormal
    058 Fashion TV
    069 Zone Reality
    060 Zone Reality+1
    061 Zone Horror
    062 Zone Horror+1
    063 Zone Romantica
    064 Zone Thriller
    065 Luxe TV HD
    066 Horse & Country
    067 Pulse
    068 Wedding TV

Kids

069 CBBC
    070 CBeebies
    071 CITV
    072 Pop
    073 Tiny Pop
    074 Tiny Pop +1
    075 Kix!
    076 Pop Girl
    077 Pop Girl +1

Shopping

078 QVC
    079 JJB Sports
    080 Real Estate TV
    081 Thomas Cook
    082 Travel Channel
    083 Travel Channel2

Interactive Screens

084 BBCi STREAM1
    085 BBCi STREAM2
    086 BBCi STREAM3
    087 BBCi STREAM4
    088 BBCi STREAM5
    089 BBCi STREAM6
    090 BBCi STREAM7
    091 BBCi STREAM8
    092 BBCi STREAM9

Of course UPC arent regulated and are trying to pull a fast one altering T+C like that. Consumer association and vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

i would not spending money pay every month for upc cos rescison i will stick for mvision once pay off more easyer for me plus buy card cyfra and al jazeera sport total 300 euro a year lot good sport epl spl and champion league worth under 300 plus broadband airwire 35 euro a month 2mb broadband would be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Zardoz

UPC's website is rubbish to be honest.
    Its completely geared towards cabled areas and is extremely misleading for people in MMDS regions who cant get
    a)HD
    b)Pvr
    c)Approximately 60 channels
    They dont even list prices for MMDS areas.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Zardoz wrote: »
    UPC's website is rubbish to be honest.
    Its completely geared towards cabled areas and is extremely misleading for people in MMDS regions who cant get
    a)HD
    b)Pvr
    c)Approximately 60 channels
    They dont even list prices for MMDS areas.:rolleyes:

I'm in a mmds area and I have 2 pvrs that have worked perfectly so far. And they do list the prices down near the end of the page. I'm not defending UPC for a moment - I'll be on to them looking for a deal from them to keep me as a customer. Only this morning I had a call from Sky wondering would I be interested in going back to them. I fobbed him off till next August, when my contract is up with UPC.I'm regretting not having known about this increase, as I might have squeezed a decent deal fro Sky.:confused::confused::(

spannerism wrote: »
    God...that's annoying to say the least.....they picked a good week to do it too....gangsters.

I was thinking of downgrading my BB from 15m/b to 8m/b....the 8m/b is moving up from €25 to €32.....that's some increase there.

I really don't get this, it'll only be €2 per month cheaper than the 15Mb service. At the moment I'm paying €32.75 but now it'll be €39.75, unless the standalone charge goes up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

Sols12 wrote: »

I had the 5mb broadband & upgraded to 8mb a few months ago. Now I want to downgrade back to 5mb... eh no say UPC (after asking supervisor). Once you upgrade from 5mb you can no longer revert to the 5mb as it will no longer available & is discontinued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

How are we being notified of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

STB where / how can I get the HD system you mentioned? Also how does this system work if you've 3 TVs. At the moment we've 3 tvs and therefore 3 decoders with UPC and am frankly feeling very ripped off! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I only recieved an increase of 1.25 to 86.25 which I'm pretty happy with tbh. I feel its still pretty good value but some of the lower priced packages have been increased by extortionate levels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you cancel how long do you have to wait to avail of new connection offers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

hi guys,

I have 15 mb broadband and the basic digital channels with the grey box(that i should throw against the wall piece of crap) - i pay 59 euro.

I want to keep the Broadband its good. the channels are crap. If i mix the BB with Sky TV is there a good package that comes in cheaper?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'm in a mmds area and I have 2 pvrs that have worked perfectly so far. And they do list the prices down near the end of the page. I'm not defending UPC for a moment - I'll be on to them looking for a deal from them to keep me as a customer. Only this morning I had a call from Sky wondering would I be interested in going back to them. I fobbed him off till next August, when my contract is up with UPC.I'm regretting not having known about this increase, as I might have squeezed a decent deal fro Sky.:confused::confused::(

what area do you get MMDS we've been onto them several times looking to get pvrs and they keep saying not in your area!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,

After I got a letter about going over my download limit, by 4%, for the first time I was ready to jump but I'm on the 30Mb and see no increase in their price.

I have started a nice email thread with them over the lack of ability to monitor my downloads and they are not too happy about it, maybe Mr ComReg will be getting involved.

Overall having 2 x HD connections, phone & 30 Mb I'm reasonably happy, would be very happy had I not got that cold computer generated stupid letter:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

If you have a retentions deal, will this go up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

If you cancel how long do you have to wait to avail of new connection offers ?

+1

I know the prices are going up but I pay €70 per month for the 15MB BB, Basic TV and Phone bundle but I've noticed that for the same price I could get the same bundle but with 30MB BB. I know there is only an option to cancel or down grade so how long would it take me to cancel then get the better package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

if enough people email, ring them and inform them that they will cancel their subscription as a result of theis price hike they may well live to regret ever putting them up in the 1st place.

time to leave them.

Advertisement