Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC Universe online

Options
  • 09-12-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭

Anybody else receive a Beta code for this........?
    Just got one today....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Got a beta code aswell but was wondering if it was worth the 13gb download?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I signed up for the ps3 version months ago no luck , not sure if im gonna pay the subscription fee , too many other games coming out i hope it comes out free in the future

Well I downloaded and messed around with this game last night for an hour or two and I'm not blow away.

Character creation is very limited. Unlike games like CoH and CO which had fantastic character generation, DCUO seem very limited in what your avatar will look like and while item unlocks can be earned from quest rewards there dosen't seem to be any tailor npc's or any way to alter your avatars look.

The game-world graphics look amazing and the game almost feels like playing a multiplayer version of Batman Arkham Asylum. However the NPC and player models are as not nearly up to scratch and when you factor in the woeful lip syncing of NPC's it really feels like a lot of corners were cut due to the limitations of the PS3.

The UI is rather basic and again I put this down to the PS3 version of the game which sucks when playing on a PC using a mouse and keyboard. This same lack of precision shows when moving your character around the game world and as a PC player it really comes across as lacking polish.

Combat is combination of weapon skill and class powers which involves pressing 1-8 on the keyboard for the various power you want to use and using the left and right mouse buttons in various different combos. Its very different from most other MMO's and is a proper twitch based combat system which some MMO player will hate.

Missions/quests are long. Very long in fact and for the more basic welcome to the game seem to be to long. The Scarecrow mission I did took the best part of an hour and involved kill x amount of henchmen and rescuing x amount of citizens in 3 different open world area's similar to Warhammer Online's public quest system before the final instanced boss battle. DCUO's version works much better the Warhammer idea but the quest just seemed very grindlike to me and from reading the beta forums this is the norm for the DCUO leveling process.

At this point I can't see myself picking this up at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is this the PC version you're all playing?

I want a beta code. :(

humanji wrote: »
    Is this the PC version you're all playing?

I want a beta code. :(

PC version here but you can see the PS3 compromises that effect the game badly with the worst UI and very basic control setup in it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All PSN+ members were given the beta just there for PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I thought this game was delayed until after christmas last time i checked. Whats the story with the monthly subscription?? Is it expensive?

were do the villains come from on the pvp starting area in the city, kill one who was a bit higher than me and had to run from someone who was lvl 10 compared to my 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im downloading this at the moment but it will take along time to finish so is it possible to turn off the ps3 and resume the downloading from where it stopped ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I'm not PLaystation Plus but I got a code. I downloaded it now and accepted the terms of service and now its loading or something but its taking an AGE. How long did it take ye guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kersmash wrote: »
    I'm not PLaystation Plus but I got a code. I downloaded it now and accepted the terms of service and now its loading or something but its taking an AGE. How long did it take ye guys?

im downloading it now

its depends on your connection kers but it might take a day, its a a few GB

Got a max level 20 hero and just got up to 10 on my new villain, i like my hero so i can't play with that one any more as any quest i do won't give xp and quest are the best way to level up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

the game has a release date for january 14th , beta was good when it worked

The price plan has come out, but it's pretty standard to most MMO's:
    Get ready to step in to the DC Universe™ as it comes to life online! DC Universe™ Online, the first action MMO for the PC and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system has “Gone Gold” and will be available beginning on January 11, 2011.

The game that has everyone buzzing around the globe is almost here. DC Universe Online will be available through most games retailers throughout the US and Europe (including PAL Territories) as well as through several of the most popular game download sites in the US including STEAM® and IGN Direct2Drive®. The retail version of the game includes 30 days of game time and gamers can opt to purchase game time membership packages at the end of the first 30 days. Converting an account to an active, entitled membership does require a valid credit card or game time card/PlayStation®Network card (where available). Membership packages are available in 30, 60, 90 and 180-day multi-month discount packs as well as a 1-year pack on both the PC and the PS3™ in the US. Plus, a Lifetime membership is also available for PC only. Also, for those playing on the PC version of the game, DCUO will be included in SOE’s all-in-one Station Access subscription. Here are the game play subscription packages available in the US:

US Pricing and Game Play Subscription Packages:

Suggested retail pricing: USD $49.99(PC) and USD $59.99 (PS3)

* 1 Month - $14.99
    * 3 Month - $41.99
    * 6 Month - $77.99
    * 12 Month - $143.99
    * Lifetime Subscription - $199.99 (Available on PC only)

In Europe, the game will officially be shipping throughout the PAL Territories on January 12, 2011 and in the UK and Ireland on January 14, 2011. Since the game is an MMO, it does require an active subscription after the first 30 days, which are included as part of the retail purchase. Converting an account to an active game membership requires a valid credit card or game time card/PlayStation® Network card (where available). Here are the game membership packages available in PAL:

Europe/PAL Territories Game Play Subscription Packages:

* 1 Month - €12.99
    * 3 Month - €34.99
    * 6 Month - €64.99
    * 12 Month - €124.99 (Available on PC only)
    * Lifetime Subscription - €179.99 (Available on PC only)

For more information, visit www.dcuniverseonline.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Pricey enough so......

Pricey enough so......

It is and that's not including the cash store the game has in its in-game menus!

It's no different to other MMO's, though. I guess the difference will be whether or not it's actually worth it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I doubt i'll even try this to be honest. I've been so let down by so many MMO's in the last few years, that unless one really stands out, i just can't justify spending €50+ on it.

Which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I cancelled my pre-order for it. I played the beta for a bit and it just didn't click with me.

Since I've more money than sense, I'm going to give this a shot. Does anyone know if you can get the collector's edition here? I have a nasty tendency to pay over the odds to get those stauettes the CE's always have.

Also, I was sent a link to some videos a guy made about the Beta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AnQ-p4cU8w&feature=BF&list=PL79D6CBCD9C05FD17&index=1

It's called The Cynical Brit. I can only watch it without sound at the moment, so I'm not vouching for his opinion. But the game itself looks pretty good.

• Advertisement

The end of the beta is near, and the next step to legendary is coming…1-11-11!

Tomorrow, Wednesday January 5, 2011 will be the last day of the DC Universe™ Beta in the U.S. and Thursday will be the last day to fight to save or rule the universe in Europe (in beta that is!).

To celebrate – we plan to stage The Battle of the Legends in-game in the spirit of the DCUO cinematic, “Who do you trust?” Beta players can align and fight alongside or against some of DC Comics most notorious superheroes and villains including; Batman, Superman, Lex Luthor and The Joker. Together will we take on DC’s greatest icons as we embark on our own path to legendary! Show up to the battle when it erupts on your server! Check the schedule below and don’t miss your chance to become part of the “Battle of the Legends!”

If for some hideous reason you cannot attend have no fear – we will update you as to the status of each battle on our Facebook site at Facebook.com/DCUniverseOnline and on Twitter @DCUO. We plan to have streaming video, screens and updates and hope that our beta players will contribute as well. One thing is for sure, this event will be legendary!
    And, to add just a little more fun factor we have some special “legendary” guests joining us in a few of the events! Check the schedule below to find out who and when.

One important thing to be aware of, when it’s over…so is the DCUO Beta! (Each server will shut down at the end of the event.)

Server Name / Date / Time / Location

US Beta Servers – Wednesday January 5

PC BETA 2 / Wednesday January 5 / 4PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker)
    BETA 1 (PC) / Wednesday January 5 / 5PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)
    PS3 BETA 2 / Wednesday January 5 / 5PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)
    *PC BETA 3 / Wednesday January 5 / 6PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor) *Come join the battle and fight alongside or against Jim Lee aka Future Batman in this event as he takes on Nick Kolan PC Editor at IGN and his league of wanna be villains!
    PS3 BETA 3 / Wednesday January 5 / 6PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)
    PC BETA 4 / Wednesday January 5 / 7PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)
    *PS3 BETA 1 / Wednesday January 5 / 7PM PT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker) or Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor) *Once again, fight against Jim Lee aka Future Batman, as he attempts to protect the Universe from the chaos and destruction that Greg Miller, Executive Editor – IGN, and his villainous band are trying to spawn!

EUROPEAN Beta Servers – Thursday January 6
    EU PS3 BETA 1 / Thursday January 6 / 11AM CT or 5PM GMT / Botanical Gardens (Batman vs. The Joker)
    EU PS3 BETA 2 / Thursday January 6 / 12 NOON CT or 6PM GMT / Centennial Park (Superman vs. Lex Luthor)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Had a view of some of those vids and this looks like a game that could interest me. Probably wait until March or so for the post-release poopy-storm that accompanies all MMO releases to blow over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

So just to confirm, there's no real PPC's for gametime, just we have to buy a 20 euro PSN Marketplace card & pay that way?

I picked this up and gave it a shot yesterday. I'm really liking it. Character creation could have more options (I've already run into one guy who was kitted out exactly the same as me), but what they have is really well put together, in particular the skins they have.

Combat is a little hectic and if there's a group fighting it can be difficult to see who's hitting who. I did a 4v4 PvP where myself and 3 others were all Harley Quinn, playing a capture the flag game against 4 robins. It was insanely fast but a hell of a laugh, especially since you get access to all of their powers, and her powers are quite funny (being the Joker's sidekick, you'd expect it).

The graphics are great. Flying up high and looking out over the city, you could see little explosions on the ground below where other people were fighting. And having the various collectables around the place make exploring a little more rewarding, though it makes you occasionally land in the middle of a mob that's 20 levels above you.

Does anyone know if there's a penalty for death? I've been knocked out a few times but it just makes me wait a few seconds an places me back at a respawn point on the main map, or a few feet back if I'm in an instance. Not sure if my equipment is taking damage because of it, and I haven't noticed any other kind of penalty.

All in all, I'm loving it. Playnig a villain in gotham at the moment, but I'm going going to give a hero a shot in metropolis to see what that's like. It does have a few down sides. Mainly that it suffers from what all MMO's seem to suffer from in that it assumes you know everything about the game already. There's lots of things you end up having to discover for yourself, such as the reward system and the things like the Vault etc. It makes things fairly confusing at times.

Also, and this could just be me, but you can't seem to pan around the map or zoom in. You jsut select various areas in a side bar and the main map shows that area. And the map isn't exactly easy to understand. There's a lot of trial and error to find out what's going on.

Your equipment does indeed take damage and lots of it when you get knocked out. You should see a cracked badge shape in the top right of the screen and it will go red when all your gear is broken.

The map is a total pain in the ass but then the UI is awful overall tbh.

Cheers. I don't think the UI is that bad. It could be a hell of a lot better, but I think the main problem is there's no proper tutorial to tell you what is what and what's going on. One of my toons can disguise himself. When he does this, he gets a new action bar, but since they were going for a console friendly game, there's no mouse pointer on the main screen, so you have to go through the menus to figure out what your new actions are. And even then you're better off just guessing.

Is anyone else actually playing this on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HowyeLads

I'm thinking of trying it on the pc,with a ps3 controller though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just started playing on the PC, quite like it. A nice break from the stream of "auto attack and spam hotkeys" MMO's. whether theres enough there for a lengthy sub period Im not sure, but will be good for a few weeks of BIFF, POW, KERPOW and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

playing it on ps3 loving it, but im a comic fanboy lol

Advertisement