Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€35,000 every month is real cost of a minister's pension

Options
  • 21-12-2010 11:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

€35,000 every month is real cost of a minister's pension

IT will cost up to €35,000 a month to fund the sort of pension cabinet ministers Dermot Ahern and Noel Dempsey will have when they leave office, a new study has revealed.

The Transport Minister, Mr Dempsey, joined Mr Ahern, the Justice Minister, when he said last week he would not be seeking re-election.
    Mr Dempsey will be able to retire with a total package worth €313,000 -- and his annual pension will be worth more than he would have earned if he returned to the Dail as a backbench opposition TD.
    Story continues: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/euro35000-every-month-is-real-cost-of-a-ministers-pension-2468174.html

Posted just to let you know where the rest of some of your money is going!

The Dail - one big shower of mafia style crooks! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Is there any way we could force them to spend 36 grand a month? ya know if their cars were constantly burned out, windows broken, gardens dug up and salted ya know if by very bad luck happened them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

After seeing the Prime Time episode last night, and the continuing revelations as to the costs of ministers wages, expenses and pensions, it's clear that the government were just members of a boys' club that took every single cent they could get their grubby little hands on from this country. And now, we've to foot the bill.

It should come as no surprise that this is the cost of the pensions. It's probably the maximum they could get away with. It's also why this bloody election is taking so long. Nothing to do with the good of the country. If Cowen holds out until May, he'll be 3 years in office, and entitled to THREE pensions. We live in a banana republic masquerading and a democratic first-world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

danniemcq wrote: »
    Is there any way we could force them to spend 36 grand a month? ya know if their cars were constantly burned out, windows broken, gardens dug up and salted ya know if by very bad luck happened them...

That would save the state a lot of cash alright...

Oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Money well spent. They deserve it for the work they've done.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

The-Rigger wrote: »
    That would save the state a lot of cash alright...

Oh wait.

Yeah it's not much, sure let them away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Saadyst wrote: »
    Yeah it's not much, sure let them away with it.

Yea, that's not what I said.
    Destroying 35k worth of property won't save the state a penny.
    Perhaps there is a better solution?

One that reduces the cost of the pensions.

Can we throw this thread into the Superlock one? Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Can we throw all the politicians into a superlock-up and let them rot?

fyp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can we throw this thread into the Superlock one? Please?
    Why! Are we not allowed to get angry about this - or do you want to see us censored!
    Don't like hearing these things? And then you wonder why some Irish are too complacent!
    O' yes, lets lock it up, shove it to one side and stick our heads under the fcukin' covers!

Lets not make it more publicly know what these **** are doing.
    Lets lock up the few bits of available info we do manage to get our hands on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The situation with pensions in this country is just crazy.

I can say for definate, after honest reflection, that if I was in their position I would not take all those pensions.

I would take some, after so long in office they should get a pension (look at certain African countries if you want to see the effects of not paying pensions to politicians), but the current situation where three pensions are possible is just insane.

One of the first reforms I'd make if I ever entered the Dail.

• Advertisement

It starts with one.

Then the activists show up. Some of them are party political folk, some spend their time writing to newspapers, some are just expert trolls.

Next thign you know After Hours is inundated with threads about every little detail of why everything's f*cked.

Next thing you get a "We don't want every little detail of your issue-Superlock" thread.

Soc->Politics Thisaway.

...Next thign you know After Hours is inundated with threads about every little detail of why everything's f*cked.

Next thing you get a "We don't want every little detail of your issue-Superlock" thread.

Soc->Politics Thisaway.

For the record, I don't consider this about politics, I consider this about the use/abuse of public gained/robbed revenue!

These are the things that is "pub talk". These are the things that go beyond politics and hit us all hard directly in out pockets.

Politicians and their feckin pensions is like getting a pay-out on your life assurance thirty years before you're dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The situation with pensions in this country is just crazy.

I can say for definate, after honest reflection, that if I was in their position I would not take all those pensions.

I would take some, after so long in office they should get a pension (look at certain African countries if you want to see the effects of not paying pensions to politicians), but the current situation where three pensions are possible is just insane.

One of the first reforms I'd make if I ever entered the Dail.
    You're approaching that from the point of view of somebody with morals and ethics, and a sense of public duty. The problem is, the current cabinet have absolutely no sense of public duty. They see this as a career, and a way to make a wage. Public service should be a vocation. Instead, it's a racket. The whole system is rotten to the core. It needs to be torn apart and rebuilt from the ground up.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Yea, that's not what I said.
    Destroying 35k worth of property won't save the state a penny.
    Perhaps there is a better solution?

One that reduces the cost of the pensions.

hey did I say it'd save us money? But it might help local window glazers, gardeners etc who then would have more money to spend therefore there would be more money out there and eventually end of the resession. And by destroying 36 grands worth of stuff a month they would then be out a grand a month at least extra. It really is a win win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Why are we not out fighting? They are pissing all over us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Why are we not out fighting? They are pissing all over us

We have to get the Christmas shopping in.

the piss is keeping us warm.

danniemcq wrote: »
    the piss is keeping us warm.

It's also the reason why we're all too yellow to do anything:(

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Biggins wrote: »
    Its called using what ever forms of communication there is, to keep the pubic informed!
    A bit of kop-on would help recognise that!

Pretty sure the person you replied to is 14, playing WoW and has no fúcking clue about what's currently happening to the country, the implications for us and generations to come.

They obviously doesn't understand how to deal with opportunistic thugs like the ones running this country. If you don't think that the masses need be informed of every little fúckup that crosses the radar, you haven't got a clue.

Public interest is held by constantly bashing the problem into their thick skulls. Not allowing them to forget what's going on. Not providing clean cut information and hiding it for those that are interested in reading it. You need a mob to create change, not a few select individuals burrowed away in the depths of boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the ironic thing is that since the budget, no one in the private sector can pay that much of their own money into a pension, no matter how wealthy they are, but taxpayers have to fund these charlatan's retirement fund, before they start their own private consultancy firms on how to get around red tape.

Smyth:

Indeed.
    Through communication systems such at boards.ie and twitter (which I use to inform people - http://twitter.com/unitedpeople), people read of such things and further inform others of the current situation/goings on. Those that are told in turn tell others and a further web of informed fork is created.
    If one in ten of those then are bother enough to get up and protest in some way, all the better.

To stick ones head in the sand and say however "lets lock this up!" is just asking for more complacently, invoking back-door censorship and allowing the likes of FF/Greens to further get away with their possible disgusting actions!

Personally speaking, I'd rather the info be out there than lock it away somewhere!
    (Thats what China does!)
    ...And if you don't like reading about such things, then stay the hell away!
    Its not rocket science and at least you have that choice - unless your living in a Chinese style police state, that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

But lads, if we didn't pay that much money we would't attract the talent!

I'm sorry, were you expecting a punch line?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK rather than go through the numerous reports of individuals and the whole back seat modding and the entire debate of what does and what doesn't fit in after hours which somehow took over this thread I have decided it is best to leave this thread locked and if you want it re-opened lemme know and we'll chuck it out politics / irish economy way. Not because we're censoring people just that this is now a badly derailed thread and its more natural home as a serious topic would be one of those forums.
    Please drop me a pm for clarification if needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement