Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to be gay?

Options
  • 04-01-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Is it wrong to be gay?
    I have mostly accepted myself but I keep reading stuff online saying that it was wrong to be gay and how it is bad and how it is an abomination to be gay.
    So what i'm really saying is. Is it really wrong to be gay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Yes.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yes.

What makes you think that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

cooltown wrote: »
    I have mostly accepted myself but I keep reading stuff online saying that it was wrong to be gay and how it is bad and how it is an abomination to be gay.
    Perhaps you should read other sites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm another one of these people who've 'mostly accepted myself'. Those things are upsetting and I'm not even religious so it doesn't even make sense for me to be upset by them :S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You're not really giving any material to work with, OP, saying that you read "stuff online". What exactly makes you think that it's wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is it wrong to be gay?

Hi Cooltown

No - Its not wrong to be gay

You have gotten some very very good advice in all of the threads you started on here and in the personal issues forum (and on other websites) before so Im not quite sure you would go off reading stuff that tells you it is wrong

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I keep reading stuff online saying that it was wrong to be gay and how it is bad and how it is an abomination to be gay.

You can find articles on the internet to support just about anything. If I wanted an article to support terrorism I could find it :rolleyes:

So mind what you read, there is a lot of rubbish out there

I've not seen your other threads but if you started them here and in Personal Issues then you'd be getting good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

I just get worked up sometimes when I read things online and I am very grateful for the advice i've gotten here!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I just get worked up sometimes when I read things online and I am very grateful for the advice i've gotten here!

OK fair enough

My advice - don't read that kind of stuff

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have been in a long term relationship with another woman for so long that any interest in or feelings for men feel oddly deviant for me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Is it wrong to be gay?

There is very little that is universally accepted as being absolutely wrong. It isn't even universally accepted that killing is absolutely wrong - terrorists, and armies, believe that it is, in certain circumstances, justifiable. The only pertinent widely-accepted belief I'm aware of is that of "whatever happens between consenting adults is OK".

What this all boils down to is that it is actually your choice as to whether you believe it is wrong to be gay!

P.S. I would choose to believe that it isn't wrong. ;) And not only because you are gay - but also because that happens to be the majority belief in the society in which you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I feel like such a freak... I watch the Westboro Baptist church videos to cheer me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

As others have said cooltown ,you have gotten lots of advice on here ,all of which is positive .So please stop being so hard on yourself and stop reading negative false CRAP .
    We live in a world where the vast majority of people are straight and obviously coming to terms with being gay in this "straight world" can be very confusing at times .
    Accepting yourself can be the hardest thing to do and for some its a life struggle resulting in lots of people never coming out ,and forever being miserable .
    Yes it can be hard for lots of people to come out ,for others its a doddle.In other words its different for everyone .
    Try not to over analise things ,take each day as it comes and BE HAPPY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

I feel like such a freak... I watch the Westboro Baptist church videos to cheer me up.
    LOL!

What is the name of that "law" where it says "it is impossible to tell the difference between a fundamentalist and a parody of a fundamentalist, as they both sound exactly the same".

I've heard the theory that the Westboro Baptist church is actually a group of deep undercover liberalists trying to undermine fundamentalism! The funny thing is - it could be true!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

I am a old man and have been around so let me tell you NO it is not wrong / right / bad / good or anything else.

I have meet a few bad people even a few i would describe as evil, but by chance none of them was gay.

Being gay does not make you good or bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

No, it's not wrong.

Every gay person, no matter how secure, asks themselves this question. It depends on religious background, I guess.

As you grow older you really can't be arsed with these opinions. I'm happy how I am, I love being who I am, and I have no time for people who want to try to make me question that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

LOL!

What is the name of that "law" where it says "it is impossible to tell the difference between a fundamentalist and a parody of a fundamentalist, as they both sound exactly the same".

I've heard the theory that the Westboro Baptist church is actually a group of deep undercover liberalists trying to undermine fundamentalism! The funny thing is - it could be true!!!
    It's definitely a possibility. They take things waaaaaay too far to be serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Poe's law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

It is wrong in the same way that it is wrong to be black.

Everyone has a right to the pursuit of happiness. If being yourself, if being out and proud makes you happy then there is NOTHING wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

Is it wrong to be gay?

Cooltown, if you mean morally wrong to be gay, you should read:

"The Church and the Homosexual" by John J. MacNeill, SJ
    "What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality" by Daniel A. Helminiak, Ph.D

They are both written by Catholic priests who will convince you that there is nothing wrong with being gay. Their arguments are watertight.

Both are easy to get at Amazon. They are helping me so, so much and I can't recommend them enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Is it wrong to be yourself? If it's wrong to be yourself then it's also wrong to be straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

Of course its not wrong to be gay... who decides whether sexuality is wrong or right! If u have feelings for someone the same sex as you then so be it!!!!
    Go enjoy life, have fun!!!
    Its not right that people have to question if how they feel is wrong or right??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Is it wrong to be gay?

Is it wrong to have red hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

No it is not wrong to be gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Its simply a part of who you are, not the definition of you as a whole.

We all come in different shapes and sizes, personality's and dispositions. Sexuality is a important part of your person, but it doesn't have to mean a label or a stereotype.

The people who are the most homophobic in life are often the most ignorant tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Sexual orientation is a matter of personal taste and therefore not related to morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Is it wrong to be gay?

In an answer no, you are only reading other peoples opinions not a statement of fact. They are all opinions based on religious principles which are out of date and also have some other ridiculous statements (eating shellfish is an abomination???)
    I live my life by the rules if it isn't hurting anyone then it is fine. Being gay isn't hurting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

CdeC wrote: »
    In an answer no, you are only reading other peoples opinions not a statement of fact. They are all opinions based on religious principles which are out of date and also have some other ridiculous statements (eating shellfish is an abomination???)
    I live my life by the rules if it isn't hurting anyone then it is fine. Being gay isn't hurting anyone.

Except when your playing rugby lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

Cooltown, its so 'wrong' with some guys that they're probably suppressing something in themselves- they're usually Baptist ministers or recent converts to Christianity who hail from Africa, which leads me to my point; anyone else regret sending their pennies to the black babies in the 1980s to produce a whole swathe of society that frowns on what their European counterparts get up to in the bedroom/bushes/bikeshed?
    And Cooltown if you want a good example of a thundering hypocrite and homophobe extraordinaire then look no further than Iris Robinson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

We were just as backwards as they were not too long ago. Poverty, fundamentalist religion and no exposure to international media is a breeding ground for backwardsness.

Advertisement