Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Focus engine cutting out

Options
  • 07-01-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

Driving a 01 focus zetec since June 09 and began experincing problems with the engine/battery since last winter. First noticed the speedometer would not read speed, only intermittendly. During the cold snap last winter, the car would cut out if I braked or changed down gears. The EML would come out and it would slowly cut the engine. My mechanic could not find the fault because it would not show up on diagnositcs because it was an intermittent problem. He was at a total loss but thought it might be the potentiometer so changed that part for 100e and no problems at alll until this winter (althogh the speedo still wouldnt register speed sometimes but no cutting out)

Fast foward 12 months and the problem has raised its ugly head again. During the cold weather 2 weeks ago, the engine cut out on the motorway. I thought this might be due to a poor battery as I had to jump it earlier that morning. Couldnt restart the car without jumping it again and everything was going haywire- alarm, immboliser, lights on etc.
    About 10min later same thing happened and we jump started it this time from another car, no problems after this. Until this week.

Anytime I am driving and the speedo goes to 0 and I slow the car down it will fail, but no problems if the car is slowed while the speedo is working normally. Car starts again perfectly only to repeat it again inevitabely.

Going back to meachnic again tomorrow to see if he can shed any light on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Not only an annoying but also dangerous issue!!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The speed sensor usually causes the speedo to fluctuate. That or the spark plug ht cables coming in contact with the cht sensor cable in middle of spark plugs, they need to be separated. I would try another mechanic if all he's working off is a diagnostic scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'd say get him to test the battery. Then replace the speed sensor. I had to replace my speed sensor before but I never had cutting out problems from it. I don't see how it could cause it to cut out.

The fuel pump in them can give trouble. Ask him to do a fuel pressure test on it. Has your car been underpowered/hesitating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Could this also be the ignition coil ?

Morlar wrote: »
    Could this also be the ignition coil ?
    It could be I mean. Ya know it be actually a mixture of problems.

I'd say op's mechanic might have sh!t diagnostics, Ford are an acquired taste as described by another user here which is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smileyscientist

Thanks guys(or girls!)

All of what you've said makes sense from what Ive read up about this.
    I was also thinking fuel pump but wouldnt that not cause the car to shudder to a stop ? Instead the power and electrics just seem to fail slowly?

The speedo problem and the cutting out are definately interlinked because the car runs perfectly fine when the speedo is performing normally.

Re the battery, I asked my meachanic if the battery needed changing after it was sluggish during the cold snap but he seemed to think it was ok for another while.

He thought aslo it may be an alternator problem- or a poor connecation from the alt to the battery?

Just sat into the car at 4o clock and tried to start it and it wont even crank now :( just makes a ticking sounds and immobiliser light and hazards flash. Grrr...

But I'll pass on your advice to him folks, or anything else you think might shed some light on it!!!!

• Advertisement

Its a new battery you need mate. Put in a new battery and a new speed sensor and tell us how you got on. The vehicle speed sensor is going back to the PCM and then onto the instrument cluster. He should really test the wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Plug wrote: »
    Its a new battery you need mate. Put in a new battery and a new speed sensor and tell us how you got on. The vehicle speed sensor is going back to the PCM and then onto the instrument cluster. He should really test the wires.

Having similar problems with my 02 focus and I'm nearly sure it's the speed sensor. Any idea how much one would cost to get replaced? I've checked up on trying to replace it myself and I think it a bit to complex.

Its about €40 for the part. To replace it all you do is plug it out, pull out the pin and pull out then sensor. Then put in the new sensor, put back in the in and then plug in it. Thats in theory but in reality its a bit of a bitch to do. Bring it to a garage as alot of them do be seized;)

Re the battery, I asked my meachanic if the battery needed changing after it was sluggish during the cold snap but he seemed to think it was ok for another while.

He thought aslo it may be an alternator problem- or a poor connecation from the alt to the battery?

If I was you I'd be changing mechanic ;) Did he actually load test the battery or use a voltmeter or anything or just did he reckon it was ok ?

Well it wouldnt start one morining at home even from a battery so it had to be towed to the garage. I was sure the battery was done for then but he seemed to think there was life in it yet, and yes he tested it with a voltameter.

Just dropped it back to the garage and it cut out twce on the way and nearly a third time but once the battery light flicked on I revved it a bit and it recovered itself - so maybe your onto it with the fuel pump issue?

One more thing, dunno if this is off any significance but under the bonnet I noticed a loose wire on the RHS. It seems to be coming out from the RHS of the engine and running down near the RHS head lamp but just ends there. There is black tape around the head of the wire so it looks like it was tampered with before...

Such a headache! Thanks again folks!

• Advertisement

I just looked up how to change the speed sensor and yes looks complicated. It did say though, that the odometer and the speedo wont work if the speed sensor is faulty. However my odometer is working fine as well as my rev counter! Do you still think its the speed sensor??

I just looked up how to change the speed sensor and yes looks complicated. It did say though, that the odometer and the speedo wont work if the speed sensor is faulty. However my odometer is working fine as well as my rev counter! Do you still think its the speed sensor??

When the same thing started happening on my focus the odometer was still working. It's now completely unresponsive, just shows
    . I'm sure if you leave it, the odometer will start to act up.

I don't think changing the vss is difficult, it's just that it's in an akward place. Im gonna ring around a few places next week and try get a quote for a replacement and fitting.

I don't think changing the vss is difficult, it's just that it's in an akward place. Im gonna ring around a few places next week and try get a quote for a replacement and fitting.[/QUOTE]

Right, be great if you could let me know( PM me) how you get on... honeslty if its not one thing its 200 others!:rolleyes:

Right, be great if you could let me know( PM me) how you get on... honeslty if its not one thing its 200 others!:rolleyes:

Had my car serviced in Atlas Tyres over the weekend and they couldnt diagnose the problem. I mentioned it was probably the VSS but they couldnt confirm.

I gave Airside Ford a rang this morning and they quoted €38.49 for the part (which seems fair) and roughly €45 for the half hour labour to change the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Had my car serviced in Atlas Tyres over the weekend and they couldnt diagnose the problem. I mentioned it was probably the VSS but they couldnt confirm.

I gave Airside Ford a rang this morning and they quoted €38.49 for the part (which seems fair) and roughly €45 for the half hour labour to change the part.

Hey think i have a similar problem to you. My speedometer drops to 0 occasionally while driving and once or twice the mileage clock reads ---- too. The sound also dips on the radio when the speedometer drops. Mailed Ford in Harmonstown and was quoted about 550 to fix it. Is it dangerous to be driving the car with this problem?

Bollox that. Get your arse to a ford garage and buy the vehicle speed sensor and then get a mechanic to fit it. Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Nope. My spedo went first on it's own, and a new dash replaced it.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Nope. My spedo went first on it's own, and a new dash replaced it.

So I shouldnt bother with the speed sensor?? You reckon it needs an entire new dash? Im not awfully bothered about the speedo its the cutting out im v concerned about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Bollox that. Get your arse to a ford garage and buy the vehicle speed sensor and then get a mechanic to fit it. Sorted!

+1.
    my bf focus '01 was acting up the same way as op (if you take foot off the accelerator car cuts out on the motorway lol (scary actually)). he brought it in for service and got speed sensor done for extra tenner :p problem solved.

j@utis wrote: »
    +1.
    my bf focus '01 was acting up the same way as op (if you take foot off the accelerator car cuts out on the motorway lol (scary actually)). he brought it in for service and got speed sensor done for extra tenner :p problem solved.

Great. That is the most positive thing Ive heard. Il definately get it done so first thing. Hopefully, we've cracked it! Got callback for 2nd round interview so might be able to upgrade soon :)

• Advertisement

Hi all,

So update on the situation. All set to get the sensor, mechanic rang the local Ford garage for it. Part will cost 40e approx but when he explained the problem they said they had never heard of the sensor causing the car to cut out but it would fix the speedo problem. He then rang me to relay the news and suggested I send it in for a full diagnostic with them to see if anything will show up

Rang them and they cant take it until Wed next. Costs 65e plus VAT for the test but I guess its better than spending 100e plus on something that mighnt work...hope it shows up something or its the scrap yard for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Well it wouldnt start one morining at home even from a battery so it had to be towed to the garage. I was sure the battery was done for then but he seemed to think there was life in it yet, and yes he tested it with a voltameter.

Just dropped it back to the garage and it cut out twce on the way and nearly a third time but once the battery light flicked on I revved it a bit and it recovered itself - so maybe your onto it with the fuel pump issue?

From this I would suggest the alternator is failing. The battery in its self could be fine but will not charge from dying alternator, hence battery light, unable to start and cutting out.

NWPat wrote: »
    From this I would suggest the alternator is failing. The battery in its self could be fine but will not charge from dying alternator, hence battery light, unable to start and cutting out.

Update:
    the mechanc reckons both the battery and altenator are both running perfectly.

He advised me to go get a diagnostic done on it and then get the sensor changed as the Ford techinicans sai the sensor would not cause the car to cut out.So booked it in for next Wed.
    In the meatime hes also been talking to Motorpark in Galway and they asked if the speedo needle flickers from time to time, which it does but v rarely.
    The man in Motorpark then suggested we were right out our first assumption was at fault so that it being changed today and the diagnostic cancelled for now. The technician said hes never actually heard of a car being cut out due to this but said it was entirely possible.
    Hopefully we have cracked it!

Nightmare situation now! I bought the replacement VSS off ford and left the car into a local garage to change the part.

I got a phone call off them 3 hours later saying they broke the old sensor it taking it out and now half it is stuck in the gearbox. €300 quote to take apart the gear box to take it out!

What was an occasional problem of the speedo dropping for the few seconds is now a permanent issue.

Anything like this happen to someone before? Have I any comeback with the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

^^^^^^ you gotta be shítting me.

There's not a hope in hell I'd be paying them for something that THEY broke.
    They were supposed to change the sensor thats it. If they broke it in the process then let them fix what they broke.

Is this place a franchise or just a small back street garage?

Nightmare situation now! I bought the replacement VSS off ford and left the car into a local garage to change the part.

I got a phone call off them 3 hours later saying they broke the old sensor it taking it out and now half it is stuck in the gearbox. €300 quote to take apart the gear box to take it out!

What was an occasional problem of the speedo dropping for the few seconds is now a permanent issue.

Anything like this happen to someone before? Have I any comeback with the garage?
    They can be fairly tight coming out alright, now the gearbox may have to come out. Buy a new clutch as well sure hit 2 birds withthe one stone:D

I taught a needle nosed pliers could remove that. I have a pretty good 'how to' guide on this procedure and it's fairly straight forward. Anyone I know of who's attempted it never had anything like that happen. I call cowboys on that garage and get them to sort it at their own expense. :)

143600.JPG
    143601.JPG

Hal1, the speed sensor on the Focus comes down vertical, not horizontal like the picture or is that picture just with the plug disconnected?

Hal1, the speed sensor on the Focus comes down vertical, not horizontal like the picture or is that picture just with the plug disconnected?

There not my pics maybe that's the mtx version?

Edit: like this init?
    dsc000242.jpg

• Advertisement

Thats it yep. must of been dumb mechanics to snap that, they had the new one. Just look at it and see how long it is. The way to get these out is, take the pin out spray WD40 is there and around the top of it and wiggle it out out a small grips or something, spraying a bit of WD40 every few MM's.

Advertisement