Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6.5x47

• 09-01-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

My mate is thinking of getting his sako varmit 243 rebarreled to a 6.5x47 lapua. Just wondered if anyone on here has done it or had a rifle built in that calibre.
    If so what kind of accuracy are you getting ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

its supposed to be a great round out to 1000 yards and does not eat the barrel like some of the other 6.5 rounds . only problem is getting ammunition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rowa wrote: »
    its supposed to be a great round out to 1000 yards and does not eat the barrel like some of the other 6.5 rounds . only problem is getting ammunition.

I know of one getting built at the mo, HPS will supply ammo.
    You should E-mail sam@intershoot.co.uk for prices.

I'd still go with 6XC ahead of it though
    6mmComparisonx400.jpg

You can buy Norma 6XC ammo without too much effort here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Thanks Tac. I didnt know you could buy ammo for the 6xc.
    Do intershoot rebarrel centrefire rifles ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

zeissman wrote: »
    Thanks Tac. I didnt know you could buy ammo for the 6xc.
    Do intershoot rebarrel centrefire rifles ?
    norma_6xc_gross.jpg

If you want a rebarrel
    www.irelandcustomrifle.com for further info on prices etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

A guy I work with is after having a 6.5x47 built in the UK ....Hes BIG into his shooting and has done alot of research into the round.

His biggest problem is that handloading isnt available here and that he managed to get his hands on 200 rounds @ very close to €400

• Advertisement

A guy I work with is after having a 6.5x47 built in the UK ....Hes BIG into his shooting and has done alot of research into the round.

His biggest problem is that handloading isnt available here and that he managed to get his hands on 200 rounds @ very close to €400

My mate lives in N Ireland and already loads for his 243 so ammo wouldnt be a problem.
    I dont think I could pay that kind of money though for 200 rounds.

My mate lives in N Ireland and already loads for his 243 so ammo wouldnt be a problem.
    I dont think I could pay that kind of money though for 200 rounds.

Browsing a UK shooting forum A guy there is looking for 6.5x47 lapua brass ... was responded with .....there Sterling £1 each

but the round does seem popular over there.

Browsing a UK shooting forum A guy there is looking for 6.5x47 lapua brass ... was responded with .....there Sterling £1 each

but the round does seem popular over there.

Yeah I think I seen them advertised for around 90 sterling a 100.
    Its supposed to be good brass though and you will get a good few loadings from it.
    I would love to try one out to see what it can do.

Yeah I think I seen them advertised for around 90 sterling a 100.
    Its supposed to be good brass though and you will get a good few loadings from it.
    I would love to try one out to see what it can do.

Good luck with that !

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Just an opinion why not go to rifle craft for 475 stg +vat to get any action you have rebarreled to any barell , any caliber you want and that includes proofing and for a bit more they will load develop to suite and hand the data to hps and away you go,;)Its a cheap option

• Advertisement

Just an opinion why not go to rifle craft for 475 stg +vat to get any action you have rebarreled to any barell , any caliber you want and that includes proofing and for a bit more they will load develop to suite and hand the data to hps and away you go,;)Its a cheap option

Maybe its just me but............

While the 6.5x47 round is brilliant at what it does it still is a very expensive round (until reloading is available in R.O.I)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

...........6.5x47 lapua. Just wondered if anyone on here has done it or had a rifle built in that calibre.

Yep, have one. Very accurate. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

My mate is thinking of getting his sako varmit 243 rebarreled to a 6.5x47 lapua. Just wondered if anyone on here has done it or had a rifle built in that calibre.

The 6.5x47 is a great round, very very accurate out to the 1000 yards, Best of luck with with your mates build. Please keep us updated on how he gets on.

The 6.5x47 is a great round, very very accurate out to the 1000 yards, Best of luck with with your mates build. Please keep us updated on how he gets on.

Thanks. I hope he goes ahead with it so I can see what its like as I might go down that road myself in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Regarding accuracy, my 6.5 Lap (in ideal conditions) can usually hold approx. an inch at 300 yards. It's really better suited to longer range though. Mine is a dedicated longer range rig - heavy Kreiger barrel etc.
    I've shot Whitetail in the US with a sporting 6.5x47 & it does the trick but they were handloaded hunting rounds.
    Personally I wouldn't rebarrel a .243 to that calibre here, especially if the primary use is/will be hunting.
    7mm08 is a nice calibre for hunting & could be an option.

Advertisement