Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling with Weirs

• 09-01-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

I have my eye on an Oris F1 watch, this one actually

63576134174mbmd5331845.jpg

I went in last week and while they didn't have that exact model they had it's sister watch which is the same without the blue tint and there is a touch of blue around the bezel that can't be seen in that pic.

The price was €1147, now I know I can get it from friends of oris (Australian AD) for around €850 (last I checked the exchange rate). I think they offer free shipping but regardless I know I'll have to pay customs duty on it that will bring the cost of the watch to around €1000. I don't really mind paying the small premium for a local AD, for being able to pick it up there and then and, lets face it, in these times keeping the money in the country. In saying that, I would rather not pay the full whack and I'm interested to know if anyone here has successfully negotiated with Weirs before and is it much use trying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

It's definitely worth going into the shop and seeing if they can do a better price for you. When I was looking to pick up a Super Avenger Blacksteel they offered to take 8% off the price which wasn't fantastic but not too bad, I probably could have pushed them to 10% but found a much better price in the U.K. As bedlam said you might be able to get them to the 1000 mark.

It's a bit sickening seeing on forums some of the discounts guys get in the U.S. when they go to their AD's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Have never bought from Weirs as they do have a "haughty taughty" attitude to people asking for discounts.
    Seeing as you can get the Oris for €850, why not explain that you'd like to take it off their hands and say, you have the cash on you now.
    Might be an interesting tactic. If that fails, then I guess you may have to take the hit on the small premium for piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Weirs will come down in price if you haggle. Doubt if you get them down to €850. They have usually given me 10%. You will haggle with the sales assistant, who them phones upstairs to finalise a price. A tactic used to put off further haggling!!! They are very nice in there. don't be put off by the snooty reputation!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have an Oris TT I bought in New York some years ago at 25% discount but when I checked later was little different in price from what I would have paid here in London. About 6 months ago, I haggled with Weirs in Dundrum over a Ltd Edition Omega Speedmaster and they were willing to give approx 10% off - this is more than UK ADs would have done in the circumstances. However because of FX movements since the GBP and EUR prices were set, it was cheaper in UK at boutique with no discount!

You should look at UK online dealers as the retail on that watch is £820 (approx EUR980) and no doubt some discount would be available. No Irish VAT or duty on a personal importation from another EU member state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Marcusm wrote: »
    I have an Oris TT I bought in New York some years ago at 25% discount but when I checked later was little different in price from what I would have paid here in London. About 6 months ago, I haggled with Weirs in Dundrum over a Ltd Edition Omega Speedmaster and they were willing to give approx 10% off - this is more than UK ADs would have done in the circumstances. However because of FX movements since the GBP and EUR prices were set, it was cheaper in UK at boutique with no discount!

You should look at UK online dealers as the retail on that watch is £820 (approx EUR980) and no doubt some discount would be available. No Irish VAT or duty on a personal importation from another EU member state.

I will be going over to Manchester in March (this is roughly when I expect to have the cash), there are two Oris dealers in the Trafford center I'll be visiting, to be honest I'd rather go to Weirs if there isn't much in it, giving business to locals etc. But I would be willing to buy abroad if it's considerably cheaper (my morals aren't that strong :P)

Thanks to all who offered advice, seems like it's definitely worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jellyfish76

Would not be gone on Weirs to be honest.Went in there before Xmas to buy Pandora Charms as Xmas presents.Went to the counter to ask for a particular charm and staff barely looked at me..................When I asked for charm they did not have it in stock and when I asked could they order it in they shrugged their shoulders and showed ZERO interest in making a sale.........................
    Little did they know that I was getting engaged over Xmas and had a budget €6000 to spend on a ring....Their loss.
    Still have not decided 100% on a ring but I have it narrowed down to Applebys, Rocks & Voltaire Diamonds...........................All very nice to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Just a thought; I was in Austin Kaye on the Strand in London at lunchtime. They are moving their business to secondhand-only and as a result are shifting their Oris stock (and Fortis and Citizen) at a 30% discount. It may be worth ringing them to see what they have left - they are quite friendly.

http://www.austinkaye.co.uk/Home/Default.aspx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice find there CB :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Oops, I was mistaken about Fortis. The third line they are selling off is Mondaine though they do have a couple of secondhand Fortis.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Molly1

I have bought a Tag in Weirs previously and dealt with the watch buyer in there, really nice fella, this was a while ago. If you pay cash they definitely give you money off. I got about €400 off the price of the watch. I'd go in and ask specifically for the watch buyer and deal with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Well if anyone is interested in knowing, Weirs never even came close to the offer from friends of oris so I went with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread, I got a watch advertised for 1k in weirs for 800. And staff had always been really nice, even where looking for a battery for my swatch

Advertisement