Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildlife gardening

Options
  • 03-02-2011 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

:)
    Some pics of my wildlife garden. I try to have only native plants. The only non-native plants I have are one sycamore tree and buddleia bushes (in pots). I only cut the grass once a year and don't use any chemicals. All excavtions were done with shovel , pick axe and wheelbarrow. All ponds and bogs are enclosed in rubber lining.
    n3t2qc.jpg
    Bog garden with bulrush, ling heather, yellow iris, purple loosestrife(not flowering in picture) and foxglove. The bog garden surrounds a small pond. Provides good cover for frogs.

ww0t9y.jpg
    Wildflower meadow

29uouie.jpg
    Froggie from the spring:cool: I also had newts spawn for the first time last year

2hn299i.jpg
    One of my ponds

670dw0.jpg
    Traditional native irish hedge: whitethorn, blackthorn, hazel, spindle, guelderose, holly, ash, mountain ash, pedunculate oak, gorse, wych elm:D:D, elder, wych willow, irish bird cherry, irish crab apple, common birch, honeysuckle. ivy

dmfbb8.jpg
    This was the driveway, but I dug it up and put a heather/sphagnum moss bog. Great for froglets....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

That looks excellent Fergal.

I have a natural pond which is quite stagnant and covered in duckweed. This year Im going to try and improve it and make it more attractive to wildlife.
    Im going to remove some of the slimey plants and duckweed, and try and dredge out some of the deep silt at the bottom, with the aim of reducing the nutrient levels. Im following the guidelines on this excellent website.
    http://www.pondconservation.org.uk/

Let me know if you have any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

You forgot the blood and sweat you put in as well feargal.
    Truly excellent work
    Thanks for posting the pictures a little taste of spring and summer
    to keep us going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Nice one Feargal.
    Would you consider posting current photos and perhaps updating once a month? A sort of monthly diary.
    I have the idea for my garden, but don't know if I'd get round to doing it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is your garden naturally wet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

That looks excellent Fergal.

I have a natural pond which is quite stagnant and covered in duckweed. This year Im going to try and improve it and make it more attractive to wildlife.
    Im going to remove some of the slimey plants and duckweed, and try and dredge out some of the deep silt at the bottom, with the aim of reducing the nutrient levels. Im following the guidelines on this excellent website.
    http://www.pondconservation.org.uk/

Let me know if you have any advice.
    I'm far from being an expect at garden ponds, only have them 4 years now. However some thing to inhibit algae growth in pond is to put barley straw in pond. When it decays it inhibits algae growth. The barley straw won't kill your pond inhabitants. You have to put in the correct dose of barley straw though.

Increasing flow of water into a garden pond can also help a stagnant pond. I put in a water diverter. After a days heavy rain you could easily get 900 litres of water flowing into pond.
    4zua8n.jpg

• Advertisement

is your garden naturally wet?
    Dry as a bone. All bogs and ponds are enclosed in butyl rubber/PVC liner.

I used clay to line my small pond ;) but I did mechanically dig it out. One problem with clay is that the water stays murky for a day if not days after the swans have been in.

Mothman wrote: »
    I used clay to line my small pond ;) but I did mechanically dig it out. One problem with clay is that the water stays murky for a day if not days after the swans have been in.
    Is it difficult to use clay? How did you compress it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

that's cool what you've done to your garden.. nice selection of native trees too.. well done man !

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

That's fantastic Feargal, thanks a million

As Mothman suggested, any chance of regular updates ?

You have nearly half of the native Irish trees in that hedge....bloody brilliant..

• Advertisement

Is it difficult to use clay? How did you compress it?
    Overlooked this...:o

Not difficult to use, but what I was using had stones in it and they needed to be removed. I did a swap with a friend. nice top soil for marl :) trouble is the stones could not be seen when it was being dug out.

It was compressed by foot...think bare feet and grapes..:D

Puddling I think is the term.

2 layers about 75mm/3" per layer. Most important part is not let it dry out either when doing pond or when full. If clay drys out, it creates big cracks...

There will always be a bit of seepage but during summer evaporation probably removes more water. It seemed to stay up fairly well during the Summer.

Ok a chailíní agus a bhuachaillí here's some photos:
    Not much colour at this time of year except of course for my native bog sphagnum mosses.
    vpvlvn.jpg
    swctp4.jpg
    2q9guty.jpg

Primrose starting to sprout:
    fenwvp.jpg

And of course Frogspawn from today

happy0045.gif5dq97a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Gardener3

;) Nice bit of Cladonia (one of the 'reindeer lichens') in your top photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Gardener3

I'm not any good with mosses but you could try posting photos and habitat details here: http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/non-flowering-plants/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Just seen this link from the other thread.

Friggin AWESOME!

We use to have a small shallow pond and tadpoles every year when I was wee.
    For some reason it just stopped filling up. Probably best anyway as we have cats now and they would end up killing all the wee frogs!

I think frogs are awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fearghal;a true inspiration.

I am renting a house with a good but neglected informal garden. All the right trees ie Irish native, and he had terraced by the stream that provides water to the house. A lot of eg foxgloves and the area is informal and uneven with one more formal area near the house.

Looking forward as things start to bud and leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

This is wonderful to see and provides inspiration for what I hope to create someday.

Imagine if even 1 in a 100 gardens were like this how great it would be for biodiversity - I am thinking if grants were available to encourage people it would be fantastic. Most gardens are so dull and lifeless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Since this thread was started, I've moved house and planted a (very) little bit of native woodland and dug a pond. No issues with it going stagnant yet, it's in about two and a half years. We do get a lot of wildlife, but the adjoining garden is a jungle, which helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My native half acre native wood is really thriving. Plenty of bluebell, primrose, wood anemone, orchids etc. But the greatest boost to wildlife in any garden is cover and organic gardening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

This is wonderful to see and provides inspiration for what I hope to create someday.

Imagine if even 1 in a 100 gardens were like this how great it would be for biodiversity - I am thinking if grants were available to encourage people it would be fantastic. Most gardens are so dull and lifeless.

In fairness most people spend a lot of money on their gardens over the years as it is - I think we just need to redirect their efforts a bit to more wildlife-friendly options and away from the boring neat-and-tidy approach!

• Advertisement

I was wondering if any garden centres participated or assisted with any wildlife schemes, such as the pollinator plan? I suppose going peat free might be difficult without pissing off suppliers and/or customers.

Advertisement