Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsealed ballot box, Cork N W

• 25-02-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

Went to vote at about 10.55 this morning, noted the girls on desk were not only marking off names but also keeping a record of number of voters.

I was the 65th this morning at this particular station.

I also noted fancy new plastic boxes that looked more like a shredder than a ballot box......

Voted dropped in my paper and next of all my 4yr old lifts lid and we can see all of the previous ballots.
    Was leaving and thought about it, got the Garda and went back and showed him.
    Of course excuses followed and sure it was grand and he would say it to the presiding officer. As I was leaving the other ballot boxes in the other rooms appeared only to have common everyday cable ties on them.

I spotted a guy sitting in the hallway of the school (each station is in a different classroom) asked if he was the presiding officer ad he acknowledged.
    I explained to him the problem, he didn't even get off his seat. (11.00am) I then left, the more I thought about the excuses and lack of urgency really gets me!!
    I'm F**ing angry now.....

see following link to photo of box, centre areas are where it should have been sealed. http://yfrog.com/h8todszj

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭paul71

Since presiding officer and guards are not interested try contacting some of the candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jonnysimples

If your on twitter maybe tweet one of the candidates and let them know. I'm sure one of them will see it as a legitimate excuse to make an appearance at the polling centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 studmystro84

same with the boxes in north dublin this morning.some were locked some were not.compared to the images posted on rte there is a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Went to vote at about 10.55 this morning, noted the girls on desk were not only marking off names but also keeping a record of number of voters.

doesn't this happen at all polling stations? :confused:

mine in Kildare definitely did this for the local elections and the last by-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

same with the boxes in north dublin this morning.some were locked some were not.compared to the images posted on rte there is a big difference

Agree about the images....... RTE http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/

is mise @howyadooin on twitter....!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

see following link to photo of box, centre areas are where it should have been sealed. http://yfrog.com/h8todszj

2 fails here. Not only should that ballot box have been sealed, you should not have been allowed to use a recording device inside the polling station - they should not have allowed you to take that photo.

I strongly suggest you chase this up, tell the candidates, tell the local media, get some attention on it.

2 fails here. Not only should that ballot box have been sealed, you should not have been allowed to use a recording device inside the polling station - they should not have allowed you to take that photo.

I strongly suggest you chase this up, tell the candidates, tell the local media, get some attention on it.

agreed!

The Garda was standing next to me when I took the photo!!

and people wonder why the country is in such a mess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Contact the county registrar by phone and make them aware as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Use twitter to contact the candidates or phone them.
    they'll go straight for the officers over it

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

This thread will be remembered after the FF landslide victory come Sunday!

Well he should not have allowed that. It opens potential for people to sell their votes if you allow them to use a camera inside the polling station.

I definitely think you should get onto the candidates on this one - asap. Its a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's symptomatic of the shabby, shoddy way things are done in Ireland and the "ah shur'n it'll do" attitiude that prevails.

OP: You are perfectly right to feel angry about this. These goons (including the Garda) are PAID by US to make sure these elections are carried out in a free and fair way and a fundamental aspect of that is that ballot boxes must be locked and sealed (and not with a friggin cable tie!).

People who made a huge fuss about eVoting (and there were genuine concerns there) will likely say little or nothing about this, despite it being 100 times easier to tamper with an election "the old fashioned way" when ballot boxes aren't even sealed.

Is there something like an electoral commission in the RoI or are we still waiting for that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

What a sham, ill keep an eye when I go to cast my vote tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What Polling station is this??

testicle wrote: »
    What Polling station is this??

Scoil Eoin, Ballincollig. Cork NW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

FYI, ballot boxes are only sealed at close of polling. Reference Section 72.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

15 hours is a long time to have an unsealed box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Actually, I'm wrong..

:(

Section 59..
    59. Immediately before the commencement of the poll the presiding officer at each polling station shall show each ballot box in his or her charge to such persons as are present in the station, so that they may see that it is empty, and shall then lock the box and seal it in such manner as to prevent its being opened without breaking the seal and shall place it in his or her view for the receipt of ballot papers, and keep it so locked, sealed and in view during the poll

I was wondering why it (S.72) didn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

thats only so no more votes can be put in the box

Section 53 states
    Ballot boxes.
    53. Every ballot box shall be so constructed that it can be securely locked and that while it is so locked a ballot paper can be inserted therein but cannot be extracted and that the box and the aperture for the insertion of ballot papers can be sealed.

That is the "slot" that is sealed to prevent any further papers entering it.

The box itself should be sealed and Locked and only accessable via slot for the valid papers

My understanding is that the boxes must be locked all day during polling, but they are in fact sealed with wax seals overnight before they go to be counted.
    Ballot boxes.53. Every ballot box shall be so constructed that it can be securely locked and that while it is so locked a ballot paper can be inserted therein but cannot be extracted and that the box and the aperture for the insertion of ballot papers can be sealed.

I've tweeted RTE, journal.ie and a couple of others that pic and this thread. This needs to be sorted asap

Can someone who is a member of politics.ie also post there regarding this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dodgy as feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭paul71

Is presiding officer liable for criminal prosecution if he fails to fulfill his duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Its beginning to go viral on twitter now, Good job :)

Cork Indo tweeting your pic, good work OP this is disgraceful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

what will be done about it - does that mean the votes are spoilt? I will be checking my ballot box when I go to vote later.

Advertisement