Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsealed ballot box, Cork N W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

RTE have picked up on it, nice one OP.

Cork County Sheriff Michael O'Driscoll has said an unsealed ballot box at a polling station in Ballincollig was immediately sealed once it was brought to the attention of staff by a voter this morning.
    Mark O'Donoghue from Muskerry Estate in Ballincollig had just voted at his local polling station at around 11am when he said his four-year-old son Ruairí opened the ballot box, which had not been properly sealed.
    Mr O'Donoghue said he immediately brought this to the attention of the polling staff and to a garda on duty at the polling station.
    County Sheriff Michael O'Driscoll said he could not say why the ballot box had not been sealed but once alerted, the box was immediately sealed properly.
    It is understood there were 65 votes in the box at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Ismael Mushy Cell

Taken from http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0225/election_tracker.html
    1551 Cork County Sheriff Michael O'Driscoll has said an unsealed ballot box at a polling station in Ballincollig was immediately sealed once it was brought to the attention of staff by a voter this morning.

Mark O'Donoghue from Muskerry Estate in Ballincollig had just voted at his local polling station at around 11am when he said his four-year-old son Ruairí opened the ballot box, which had not been properly sealed.

Mr O'Donoghue said he immediately brought this to the attention of the polling staff and to a garda on duty at the polling station.

County Sheriff Michael O'Driscoll said he could not say why the ballot box had not been sealed but once alerted, the box was immediately sealed properly.

It is understood there were 65 votes in the box at the time.

mikom wrote: »
    ooh-matron.jpg

I was wondering would someone spot that! Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Well done on pointing it out and getting it sorted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Rte have have an update in their election coverage to say that a kid in Ballincollig opened a ballot box as it was unsealed.

Scroll down the page and you see a pic of John Gormless with a guy in a yellow morphsuit jogging behind him:
    John Gormley is pictured on his way to vote while being shadowed by a member of the 'Irish Lemmings Group'. Not sure what their policies are...

WTF? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Zzippy wrote: »
    Scroll down the page and you see a pic of John Gormless with a guy in a yellow morphsuit jogging behind him:

WTF? :confused:

those guys in the yellow suits have been part of the FG candidate's campaign (not Lucinda!) I think his name is Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i voted today in barracks street, waterford. It didn't bother me at the time, but after reading this post, i recalled that the ballot box i used was also not sealed (it was a tin box, that looked about 20 years old), it was quite full and when i had to push my paper in the lid rattled ajar.

Also, this was my first time voting, at the back of the card i was sent, it stated the various ID and so forth i'd need to vote. But I was NOT asked to show any identification of who I was. Is this normal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Same in Dublin South. Looked fairly dodgy, I have to say.

wonder will this get a mention too and how many other ballot boxes around the country are left unsealed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

In the past all boxes were metal, sealed with wax and seals and locked with locks. Have things changed.

They keep tally of the numbers so that ballot papers in the box adds up to the number that are counted at the count centre, when the boxes are unlocked and opened.

You could contact the returning officer, should be city/ county sheriff, and available on internet.

imme wrote: »
    In the past all boxes were metal, sealed with wax and seals and locked with locks. Have things changed.

they were still that type where I voted

They keep tally of the numbers so that ballot papers in the box adds up to the number that are counted at the count centre, when the boxes are unlocked and opened.

yes I think its important to note there are other safeguards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

this would never have happened if we had eVoting.... break the machines out of storage!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 savina10

In my voting booth, there was a COLOURING PENCIL tied on with string to fill out the sheet. Felt strangely irreverant - maybe we can use ogham stones or charcoal markings in the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

cornbb wrote: »
    RTE have picked up on it, nice one OP.

Yes well done.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

goat2 wrote: »
    can i make a complaint about not having a vote, since had a vote in the last general and local, name was not on register, yet i had vote last time
    heard on the radio today (LMFM) that if you've been living at the same address for 20 years (dont know if this applies to you?) and have previously been on the register, but are not now, you can swear an oath that you are who you say you are, and be allowed to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Also, this was my first time voting, at the back of the card i was sent, it stated the various ID and so forth i'd need to vote. But I was NOT asked to show any identification of who I was. Is this normal ?

Yes, it is normal. There is no obligation to ask for ID but they can if they want to, or feel that they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daviddob

2 fails here. Not only should that ballot box have been sealed, you should not have been allowed to use a recording device inside the polling station.

I am workin as presiding officer today. Where does it say in rule book about recording device guys? Ye sound very sure

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

imme wrote: »
    Last two or three votes that I've done the boxes have been similar to the picture - large plastic affairs, sealed with a zip tie and a slot in the middle.

I do remember the steel boxes though from my first time voting in 2002.

seamus wrote: »
    Last two or three votes that I've done the boxes have been similar to the picture - large plastic affairs, sealed with a zip tie and a slot in the middle.

I do remember the steel boxes though from my first time voting in 2002.

I have just remembered that when electronic voting came in a few local authorities got ahead of themselves and got rid of the old steel boxes

they then had to source new ones, perhaps that is part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

up here in donegal they have metal boxes with big padlocks on them

proper job !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

heard on the radio today (LMFM) that if you've been living at the same address for 20 years (dont know if this applies to you?) and have previously been on the register, but are not now, you can swear an oath that you are who you say you are, and be allowed to vote

I have made lots of phone calls and checked if he was registered via the internet and he is, so someone left him out of the local list, and we got a good respones, alls well that ends well. and he has been at this address with 23 yrsi do hope others who find themselves in this position will do same,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

up here in donegal they have metal boxes with big padlocks on them

proper job !

Glad to hear things are done properly there. Where I was voting it was the "this think looks like a shredder humped a kickbin" style boxes in use. I didn't see this thread until I came back from voting. (Dublin West constituency, Laurel Lodge) so I didn't think to see if the lids were held on by gravity and apathy, but there was an alert looking ban garda there.

I really wish there'd be a test run for polling stations the day before. There's enough of a gap between elections and referendum for bad habits of forgetfulness to trip up even an experienced organiser.

I can tolerate mistakes being made, but not when they're made because of either indifference or a lack of simple preparation or practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

It got better.....

I went back to the polling station and broached the attitude with the officer, we had a conversation about it and the potential for fraud, e-voting as a prime example and of course it would never happen.......Honesty and all that.

I pointed out our honest politicians etc!

Anyway it turns out the county sheriff turned up and conversations etc followed and all was fine.
    BUT apparently wax was sent with the boxes and he (the sheriff) said there was no need to use it, that regular cable ties were sufficient. WTF>>>>

either wax is required for open and fully transparent voting or it's not. I believe not even security cable ties were used (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_seal)
    At least this number/letter pattern could be checked at the count station...

Edit, I didn't mention that the presiding officer lied in front of a Garda too. He claimed he immediately went "with me" to the room and checked and sealed the box. I called him a liar and asked the Garda to witness that fact...... He did not retract but said later he went down after I left......

It got better.....

I went back to the polling station and broached the attitude with the officer, we had a conversation about it and the potential for fraud, e-voting as a prime example and of course it would never happen.......Honesty and all that.

I pointed out our honest politicians etc!

Anyway it turns out the county sheriff turned up and conversations etc followed and all was fine.
    BUT apparently wax was sent with the boxes and he (the sheriff) said there was no need to use it, that regular cable ties were sufficient. WTF>>>>

either wax is required for open and fully transparent voting or it's not. I believe not even security cable ties were used (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_seal)
    At least this number/letter pattern could be checked at the count station...

Absolutely shocking!!!:(:(Wonder if this has happened anywhere else and not beeen publicised??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭pyro jim

Down with this sort of thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

:Well done OP for this , isn't it unreal what goes on and I suppose a reflection of the bigger picture:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

More waste in the public service?! Either use it or stop sending it at extra cost to the taxpayer and throwing it away unused!

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I'm worried about this now. I voted in a polling station across the road from the OP.

Well done for getting it out there. These people are being paid €500+ for their work today - how bloody incompetent would you have to be to forget to seal the box?

There were electoral problems in the UK last year in their election and Dimblebey of the BBC rightly roasted the girl from the Electoral Commission for the problem. Elections are like the cornerstone of democracy, and incompetence like this should never ever be tolerated. But I will be very surprised if RTE hold someone to account for this.

Well done again.

I presume Sky and the BBC are covering this (covering the election I mean). Might be an idea to contact them, RTE will probably just gloss over it.

I presume Sky and the BBC are covering this. Might be an idea to contact them, RTE will probably just gloss over it.

No mention of this on RTE TV or Radio whatsoever.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

county man wrote: »
    No mention of this on RTE TV or Radio whatsoever.:(

Time = 1551 mentioned and me "outed" :P

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0225/election_tracker.html

Advertisement