Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsealed ballot box, Cork N W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

savina10 wrote: »
    In my voting booth, there was a COLOURING PENCIL tied on with string to fill out the sheet. Felt strangely irreverant - maybe we can use ogham stones or charcoal markings in the next election.

We had a lead pencil tied to a piece of baling twine and stapled to the side of the booth. I remember a teacher telling us one time that anything written in pencil is not legal. So I'm wondering are all ballot papers marked with pencil invalid and therefore the so called spoiled votes.

It's off to the Conspiracy Forum for me, what with the pencil for voting and the serial number on the back of the ballot paper sure I'm fit to be tied ;) and with all this talk of open ballot boxes what if someone matches up my voting number with my ballot paper number and the fact I was the 44th person to vote this morning, oh God they'll know how I voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

you should not have been allowed to use a recording device inside the polling station - they should not have allowed you to take that photo.

Source!

So you would propose we have something "doggy" happen in a poling station and no proof be recorded. Would RTE follow a story with , X said it was't sealed, but by the time they get there it was remedied.

And news cameras? Every politician in the county was witness to a crime today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

maglite wrote: »
    Source!

So you would propose we have something "doggy" happen in a poling station and no proof be recorded. Would RTE follow a story with , X said it was't sealed, but by the time they get there it was remedied.

And news cameras? Every politician in the county was witness to a crime today?

Well done OP. No guards at all in Drimnagh tonight. Normally we get 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭paul71

Time = 1551 mentioned and me "outed" :P

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0225/election_tracker.html

Yes well and truely outed, have to change that user name to somebody else now, and congrats to young Ruairi, serving democracy at the age of 4, he'll go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Source!

If people were allowed to use recording devices inside polling stations then it leaves the system wide open to selling votes and using a pic of your vote as proof.
    I assumed this was common sense and general knowledge - clearly not.

I dont have an official source, but I would be very very surprised if its actually allowed as its just too open to abuse.

You could also be secretly filming other peoples votes, and the whole nature of the game is that its a private ballot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Voted in Galway city today. No garda present - is there meant to be? Hadn't seen this thread so didn't check the seals, but it was the big metal box type. No other general public in voting when I left so hope it was sealed! Box was fairly full anyway, had to give the ballot paper a good push in, so could be easily pulled out through the same slot if wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The RTE headlines, front pages of many newspapers' websites etc, make it pretty clear to me that its not illegal to take pictures inside a polling station. Filming in a polling station is not the same as pointing a camera at someone's ballot.

I assumed that was common sense...

You could also be secretly filming other peoples votes, and the whole nature of the game is that its a private ballot.

I'm not aware of every location, But the ones I have seen in the past have Booths/Screens you use to cast your vote which afford privacy. You fold your vote. Then put it in the box. To film a vote being filled in would be very noticeable. The box is usually in public.

Also Had a look at my sealed box. The seals they are using are the standard cable ties, not the security ones. The standard cable ties offer no security to being opened and closed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I had a plastic box, middle hole had a padlock on it, the key was attached with a security tie to the adjacent hole.
    EDIT: Gilmore voted in the same kind of box 269877_1.jpg?ts=1298676621

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

Also Had a look at my sealed box. The seals they are using are the standard cable ties, not the security ones. The standard cable ties offer no security to being opened and closed again.

Where was that maglite?
    This is looking like something that really needs reform:eek: and a large dose of cop on.
    If a complaint is made and still they carry on regardless. Surely it should be acted on.

Why should we be surprised......

Is there any way I could make a official complaint about standard cable ties before the boxes are opened tomorrow about the lack of security on the boxes.?

• Advertisement

Where was that maglite?
    This is looking like something that really needs reform:eek: and a large dose of cop on.
    If a complaint is made and still they carry on regardless. Surely it should be acted on.

Why should we be surprised......

Is there any way I could make a official complaint about standard cable ties before the boxes are opened tomorrow about the lack of security on the boxes.?

Can I get back to your op and the report on the RTE website, I noticed a little descrepancy. You said the presiding officer did nothing initially, and I watched here as your efforts eventually bore fruit over the next few hours. But the RTE report differs insofar as the Sherriff is quoted as saying that the box was immediately sealed when you brought attention to the matter, as far as I can see the Sherriff lying.

Am I right to say this, is he trying to safe face and should RTE be pulled up on this?

paul71 wrote: »
    Can I get back to your op and the report on the RTE website, I noticed a little descrepancy. You said the presiding officer did nothing initially, and I watched here as your efforts eventually bore fruit over the next few hours. But the RTE report differs insofar as the Sherriff is quoted as saying that the box was immediately sealed when you brought attention to the matter, as far as I can see the Sherriff lying.

Am I right to say this, is he trying to safe face and should RTE be pulled up on this?

Thought I clarified earlier, sorry.

When I got the Garda, we both went down to the classroom where the polling booth was and I pointed out the open box took the photo and left a few moments later. I did not ever see the box being sealed, the Garda said he would say it to the presiding (deputy) officer on duty. I went dowwn hall and spoke to Presiding officer. Again he made no effort to go to the room at that point.
    I then left and thought about it over the next hour and thats when I decided to do something about it.

The sheriff only arrived on site and was informed about it later...The sheriff covers the whole constituency AFAIK

Hope that clarifies it.
    BTW
    We are taking the word of the officers that they had cable ties handy!!!!! and that's what was reported on RTE.

Where was that maglite?

Cork NW.

Cork NW.

Kinda a BIG constituency, go on give us a hint....

Was it Ballincollig too? and if so which school.?

Thought I clarified earlier, sorry.

When I got the Garda, we both went down to the classroom where the polling booth was and I pointed out the open box took the photo and left a few moments later. I did not ever see the box being sealed, the Garda said he would say it to the presiding (deputy) officer on duty. I went dowwn hall and spoke to Presiding officer. Again he made no effort to go to the room at that point.
    I then left and thought about it over the next hour and thats when I decided to do something about it.

The sheriff only arrived on site and was informed about it later...The sheriff covers the whole constituency AFAIK

Hope that clarifies it.
    BTW
    We are taking the word of the officers that they had cable ties handy!!!!! and that's what was reported on RTE.

No need to say sorry, you did clarify, I mistakeningly assumed the presiding officer and sheriff were the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I voted in Cork north central. No Garda present.

My girlfriend had a good story tho. A very elderly, blind neighbour that she knows voted today. Obviously for him to be able to do this, the room is emptied and someone records his vote. Strangely tho it was one of the people working in the centre that filled out his ballot paper for him. I would have thought that this would most definitely be a job for a Garda?

Kinda a BIG constituency, go on give us a hint....

Was it Ballincollig too? and if so which school.?

I like a bit of privacy...:P Not Ballincollig.

The ties I saw were different to these, But I would assume these are standard ties as well..
    000447f8-440.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

SeaFields wrote: »
    I would have thought that this would most definitely be a job for a Garda?

I reckon the Garda who stitched up the McBreartys should do it.

Any person who is incapable of filling in the ballot themselves may indicate to the presiding officer their choice of candidates and the presiding officer may mark the ballot for them.

I like a bit of privacy...:P Not Ballincollig.

The ties I saw were different to these, But I would assume these are standard ties as well..
    000447f8-440.jpg

Yea I noticed that earlier too.....

Wonder who is minding the boxes tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I voted in Cork north central. No Garda present.

My girlfriend had a good story tho. A very elderly, blind neighbour that she knows voted today. Obviously for him to be able to do this, the room is emptied and someone records his vote. Strangely tho it was one of the people working in the centre that filled out his ballot paper for him. I would have thought that this would most definitely be a job for a Garda?

Standard duty of the Presiding Officer. Part of the reason why presiding officers/polling clerks etc are forbidden from electioneering.

Also, a 'companion' of the disabled person is allowed to assist the voter if the voter so wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Any person who is incapable of filling in the ballot themselves may indicate to the presiding officer their choice of candidates and the presiding officer may mark the ballot for them.

Linky?

Not doubting you but we're both curious after reading through this thread. I would have thought a Garda would be most appropriate.

Edit . no need for link. Raging Ninja has explained it a bit better

Wonder who is minding the boxes tonight?

I think they are stored in "secure" locations, Garda cells etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Linky?

Not doubting you but we're both curious after reading through this thread. I would have thought a Garda would be most appropriate.

Edit . no need for link. Raging Ninja has explained it a bit better

Yes and I was sneering at the fact you consider Gardai honest and upstanding, in comparison to poll clerks/presiding officers. Gardai are about as impartial as economists are ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there was no gardai where i voted in dublin north east earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I don't believe there has to be Gardaí present at polling stations. Out in my area, a couple of Gardaí come by to check up on us a couple of times through the day, but that is usually all.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

No Garda on duty at CBS, Basin Street, Dublin 8 this morning at 08:45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

1551 Cork County Sheriff Michael O'Driscoll has said an unsealed ballot box at a polling station in Ballincollig was immediately sealed once it was brought to the attention of staff by a voter this morning.
    Just found this.

BLEEP BLEEP had just voted at his local polling station at around 11am when he said his four-year-old son opened the ballot box, which had not been properly sealed.

Op did you make news :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

I think they are stored in "secure" locations, Garda cells etc.

Nope there are brought to the count centers armed garda are looking a fter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mushroom

paconnors wrote: »
    Nope there are brought to the count centers armed garda are looking after them.

Fat lot of good an armed Garda is looking after a glorified tupperware box tied together with generic 10 cent cable ties....

Any one of us could have had that (well paid) job fondeling the electoral system for 15 hours; open the box, remove a few votes, slip in a few of my own. It's a complete FARSE

The moratorium on electoral coverage would not extend to such core functionality of the system. Should've been scrutinised further. This needs fixing.

I'm declaring epic shenanigans on this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

mushroom wrote: »
    Fat lot of good an armed Garda is looking after a glorified tupperware box tied together with generic 10 cent cable ties....

Any one of us could have had that (well paid) job fondeling the electoral system for 15 hours; open the box, remove a few votes, slip in a few of my own.

Your not very familiar with the whole voting scene are ya? :rolleyes:

Advertisement