Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Match Thread*** Tues 8/3 20:15 Wes2 -vs- Standard Life !!GAME OFF!!

Options
  • 06-03-2011 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Clay - in
    Conor - in
    Keith - in
    Gav - in
    Jules - in
    Ciaran - in
    Dave B - away
    Ronan D - out
    Gary - sick
    Eamon - in
    Kenny - in
    Cathal - in
    Eoin - in
    Collie - in
    Anto - in

Three points lads, you know the rest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Good luck lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

I Am In

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Well boys it comes down to this, like last week we need the 3 points. Lets not make things difficult for ourselves by having to go a goal down before we start playing, lets start from the first whistle and play the way we can, the goals and the 3 points will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MATCH OFF!!!!!!!!!

Standard Life couldn't put out a team tonight. Des pushed them to try cobble any sort of team together so we could win the league on our own merit, but they only had 5 definites so couldn't do it. It's regrettable as we know by playing to our potential, we'd have beaten them and won it with a clean blow, but as it is, we'll take the TKO. But over the course of the season, we've been the best team and played the best team football and we're good value for this win. Onwards to the new League Champions thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ChopperLambe

congrats to all my team mates on wiinning the league this year, Thou i am gutted we didnt get to play our last game i was looking forward to winning it either way, i suppose.Thanks to des and mick ,Roll on the party on the 31st ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I got a text from Standard Life at half two, and practically begged them to get a team together for this evening. they couldn't though.

Been a long time waiting to do this lads, thanks to each and every one of you over the course of this season, and to everyone who's pulled on a Boardeaux jersey since August 2006 when we started in the Phoenix Park, it's been amazing!

CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well deserved and long overdue lads...congratulations.

It wasn't an easy league by any stretch, there were some tough teams who have put it up to and beaten Boardeaux before, SS Rovers, Templeogue Astros, Roys Rovers. This side was different though, consistent tough performances to come from behind to win, to hammer home any win by getting more goals and the mental strength to hold out after the two defeats.

From humble beginnings...

Congratulations lads. Yes, we'd like to have had the chance to win with on the pitch ourselves, but that's just because they denied us the chance to win it in the style we know we would have done. We earned this title over the course of the season and deserve it. We play the best football in this league and are a truly balanced team that doesn't rely on any one or two individuals - we've been strong right across the pitch all season and our wide mix of goalscorers just reflects our team ethos and passing style. We're well worth these medals.

While we've hardly won the Champions League, we have come a long, long way from the ramshackle bunch of misfits that first got together to knock a ball around Phoenix Park after Ste (I think) suggested the idea of a team on the Soccer forum. We struggled with the basics back then but every season there were clear signs of progress and I know Geoff was taken aback with the quality of passing football when he saw us recently after having moved on over a season ago. Thanks to the 100 or so lads who have played for Boardeaux at some point - all have played their part in helping us improve.

To this squad of league winners I just wanted to say it's been an absolute pleasure playing with every one of you: it's rare to find a bunch of lads that are all so eager to work hard for each other and focus more on making the team better than grabbing the glory themselves. Thanks lads.

But above all else, I wanted to say, both personally and on behalf of this squad and all those that have played for us at any point, a massive thank you to Des and Michael. Without Des and Michael, this team wouldn't be here, simple as that. Their determination and patience has been needed several times and they've also come a long way themselves and are much better managers now then when they started out with no experience. Des has made some crucial calls this season and they've always made a positive impact on the performance and scoreboard. We owe you for that lads.

Next season we'll need to lift the standard higher again but for now let's enjoy it and make sure to free your calendar for Thursday 31st March - we want everyone in Alexandria Hotel for the Medals & Trophy and photos that night, and I think we've earned a session...

dfx- wrote: »
    Well deserved and long overdue lads...congratulations.

It wasn't an easy league by any stretch, there were some tough teams who have put it up to and beaten Boardeaux before, SS Rovers, Templeogue Astros, Roys Rovers. This side was different though, consistent tough performances to come from behind to win, to hammer home any win by getting more goals and the mental strength to hold out after the two defeats.

Thanks Daryl for your continued support and your shrewd observations - we do take it all onboard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah Des/Michael a big + 1 on the thanks for the managerial skills for the seasons gone by. If you lads can do it it shows anyone can :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Well done lads, I'm jealous as hell I wasn't there this season to win it with you but I'm chuffed for all the lads who've been at it for so many seasons and come so close so many times! Next season we'll have to do it again so I can finally get a gold one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Yeah Des/Michael a big + 1 on the thanks for the managerial skills for the seasons gone by. If you lads can do it it shows anyone can :pac::pac::pac:

Dropped for next season!

Great team spirit and team work won us the league. I am delighted to have been part of this win. Fair play to Des and everyone of the squad anything that was asked of them was done.

Also have to say fair play to Clay I think he has won the goal keeper award (think it's done on clean sheets!), I am sure he'll agree :)that it's an award for a very solid defensive unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Well done lads, you had me worried worried there when you started losing matches on purpose to make it more interesting;)
    From playing with you and against you, it was clear that you were by far the most organized team in the league so you defintely deserve it. Enjoy the piss up at the end of the month and your "lengue" winners medals :)

Congrats Lads It Was A Great Team Effort Through Out The Season And As Ken And Jules Said It Was A Pity We Could Not Win It The Way We Wanted To. Onwards To The Summer League And To Defend The Title Which No One Has Managed To Do Since I Have Been Playing.

Also Thanks Mick It Really Was A Definsive Unit That Won The Most Clean Sheets.And I Am Going For It Again Next Season.

Big Thanks To Des And Mick For All The Hard Work And Time They Put Into The Team.

Boards For The Double Next Season

HAve To Give a Special Mention To Murtagh Who Fianlly Scored His First Goal For Boards This Season After All This Time

Take A Bow Son

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

Mall10357 wrote: »
    HAve To Give a Special Mention To Murtagh Who Fianlly Scored His First Goal For Boards This Season After All This Time

Take A Bow Son

haha... Yeah, cheers Clay. There's nothing like getting the winner in a 6-1 victory.

Best defense in the league this year. Well done Clay, Kenny, Keith, Eoin & Ronan.
    Des & Mick, thanks for everything again this year. One of the telling differences this season was how rarely we heard the banzai roar "3 AT THE BACK!" with 15mins to go.
    In previous seasons it was happening every couple of games!!

Andy, did you guys get a walkover from SS last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Andy, did you guys get a walkover from SS last night?

No, we beat them fair and square so you didn't even need that walkover in the end.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    No, we beat them fair and square so you didn't even need that walkover in the end.

Ah good stuff Andy, that makes it all good in my book.

thanks for clearing that up.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Which was the game Gary got a late winner with an open goal after forcing a keeper mistake - I think it finished 2-1 or 1-0 after they were putting pressure on. That's when I thought you were on for top spot.

There was a game as well where I think you were struggling to field 11 players and got a 0-0 or maybe it was the same game. Big moments..

• Advertisement

Which was the game Gary got a late winner with an open goal after forcing a keeper mistake - I think it finished 2-1 or 1-0 after they were putting pressure on. That's when I thought you were on for top spot. .
    Gary scored the third in a 3-2 win over the Monks on 16th November, could be that one?
    There was a game as well where I think you were struggling to field 11 players and got a 0-0 or maybe it was the same game. Big moments..

I'd have to look into the match threads for that one

Are you gonna enter in medium standard now for the next season Des?

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Are you gonna enter in medium standard now for the next season Des?

I think it's too late at this stage our place is already booked but might look at the step up if we continue to do well in the summer league.

Honestly lads i dont think there's any real difference it just depends what nights a group of lads can play. My thursday night team play medium standard and apart from the ex LOI team who play we'd win it comfortably i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭event

lads, i know most of ye wont know me here, just wanted to come in and says congrats.

ive followed yiz here since ye were set up. dont think ive ever posted so im mainly a lurker but always liked to keep tabs on how ye have been doing.

well done again lads, great achievement

Hey Just Wondering Were The Presentation Is On Next Week

Mall10357 wrote: »
    Hey Just Wondering Were The Presentation Is On Next Week

It's in the Alexander Hotel, Fenian Street, Dublin 2

I reckon we'll meet up for a few pints before hand somewhere (possibly the gingerman as it's right next to it!).

Advertisement