Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameract.com scam???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

oh man! I would so love that site not to be a scam :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Beano wrote: »

It doesn't does it :(

The site looks very professional normally the scam site look like ****e.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Cameract Limited’s VAT Registration Number is: 350 4942 47
    According to a site below when you check the their VAT & applying calculation method, it must add up to 47 which is the last 2 digits of their VAT no.
    You can do the sums yourself here;
    http://www.2-small-business.com/number_registration_vat.shtml

I came up with total 34.

wasper wrote: »
    Cameract Limited’s VAT Registration Number is: 350 4942 47
    According to a site below when you check the their VAT & applying calculation method, it must add up to 47 which is the last 2 digits of their VAT no.
    You can do the sums yourself here;
    http://www.2-small-business.com/number_registration_vat.shtml

I came up with total 34.

You're not quite correct. You keep subtracting 97 until you get a negative number. so you should have subtracted 97 again to give you -63. Which means the last two digits should be 63. They're not so its not a valid VAT number.

• Advertisement

So all in all it looks like I will have to fork out more for my D90. Damn scams :P

If that is the camera you really want then amazon.co.uk have it a good price with the same lens, £679.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D90-Digital-18-105-VR/dp/B001EO6WAI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304521714&sr=1-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Looks very like a scam:
    • Lots of companies registered out of that address which is not a camera shop
    • Says they've got awards from 2009 yet site only registered a few days ago
    • Magazines they say they got awards from not found
    • Also appears to be hosted in Russia (www.itciti.ru not responding)

If that is the camera you really want then amazon.co.uk have it a good price with the same lens, £679.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D90-Digital-18-105-VR/dp/B001EO6WAI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304521714&sr=1-2

Thanks, last time I checked Amazon the best I could find was about €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Vat number isn't valid, site is almost certainly a scam.

Handy site to check the validity of EU vat numbers here, you need a valid Irish Vat number to check but it doesn't have to be yours, one off a receipt will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

:mad: and I could almost taste that 85 1.2. droool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

nilhg wrote: »
    Vat number isn't valid, site is almost certainly a scam.

You can leave out the "almost".

Domain Name: cameract.com
    Expiry Date: 27-Apr-2012
    Creation Date: 27-Apr-2011

Traceroute leads to Russia not London.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭MissusPandB

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cormacfarrell

I have seen two different versions of the site, cameractsales.com and cameractstore.com.. All the evidence ways heavily against them...pity
    But what really annoys me is that i am getting the Adds through my gmail. For instance if i have something to do with a camera in a mail then this bloddy cameract advert is the first thing to pop up at the very top of my message. Google should be more responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Such a comprehensive believable site for a scam. The only thing giving it away is the stupidly cheap prices!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Damn you! I was considering a d90 and managed to convince myself it was too expensive. Now I'm gonna have to go and buy that, amnt I?

Danbo! wrote: »
    Damn you! I was considering a d90 and managed to convince myself it was too expensive. Now I'm gonna have to go and buy that, amnt I?

I'm afraid so.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

There was article in Irish Times about fraud sites advertised from Google and their total lack of responsibility to vet their advertisers
    Only interested in money
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2011/0308/1224291575212.html
    I tested gmail by mentioning canon and next came up a link to similar site with a different name, russian registered site but English phone number and geuine dormant company
    You cant trust anyone these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i was going to place an order with them but searched gooogle a bit before being so gullible and i decided to ring them, a girl answered them and i said your website is a scam. she denied it and i said their IBAN number doesnt check in and i was going to report them. (was bluffing) and there was a 5 second silence and she hung the phone up... so there is your answer... ****ing scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

their under a new website name now ''www.canon-cameras-sale.com/'' avoid this one too, same site different address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement