Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Bus Éireann website please?

Options
  • 11-11-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need to get my mother from Sligo to London, by coach, on Saturday, day sailing.

My aunt is dying, and I'm a bit flustered and can't make head nor tail of the Bus Eireann website.

She has a sister in Galway who is also traveling over who said that the Sligo bus would go to Galway anyway, so they could travel together. (I doubt it?)

I would be hugely grateful if anyone familiar with the site could give me a link/times/booking page or any info at all.

Thank you.

EDIT: Back in the day (!) when I did the Limerick/London trips you stayed on the same bus for the whole journey, this is what my mum needs. No changes. The Galway part can be ignored if she could go straight onto a bus from Sligo and arrive in Victoria on the same one.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you are in the Railfan Forum, Ive asked the Mods to move it for you. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Oh how stupid of me! Told you I was flustered. :o

efb, thank you, I just couldn't find it last night. You're a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to hear this.

Galway/Sligo-London is an awfully long trip and not to be undertaken lightly. Potentially she would leave Sligo at 6am and arrive in London at 8am - 26 hours later, with a change of bus at least in Limerick or Dublin. Eurolines seems to concentrate on over-night sailings. Fares are €50-84 return.

Another option is Sail-Rail, a similar product, that uses trains. Main Irish Rail stations should be able to set you up with through tickets to London Euston. They would have to pay the fare from Heuston/Connolly to Dublin Port separately (€2.50 bus, about €10-12 taxi)

http://www.irishferries.com/ie/fares-offers-britain-from-ireland.asp
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail

Ryanair have a flight Knock-London (Stansted) for €130 single. 13:25 Depart 14:50 Arrive (€195 single via Luton, earlier departure). Passport obligatory.

Aer Lingus Knock-London Gatwick €186 single. 15:45 Depart 17:10 Arrive

Oh how stupid of me! Told you I was flustered. :o

efb, thank you, I just couldn't find it last night. You're a star.

Bus Eireann isn't the most user friendly site- don't worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,674 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The bus to London starts in Busaras - you will have to change there regardless.

It uses the night sailing only.

Therefore you would need to do the following:

1315 Route 20 Sligo-Dublin (arrive 1700)
    2000 Route 871 Dublin-London (arrive 0815)

As per Victor - it would be easier to do sail/rail which can be done by day, although this would require an overnight in Dublin.

Using the Irish Ferries Swift sailing at 0845 from Dublin Port the train connection gets to London for 1538 with no changes on Saturdays.

You can get a through ticket from Sligo to London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Rocket Butch

Would recommend flying if at all possible or rail as a second choice, that bus journey would drive you daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I can't thank you all enough, you're brilliant.

When I explained how bloody long the journey was, she relented and I've got her on a flight from Knock tomorrow. (Only €80 Victor - glad I didn't book it last night!)

Now I just have to get her from Stanstead to Heathrow. Wish me luck!

Thanks so much again for going to so much trouble.

I can't thank you all enough, you're brilliant.

When I explained how bloody long the journey was, she relented and I've got her on a flight from Knock tomorrow. (Only €80 Victor - glad I didn't book it last night!)

Thanks so much again for going to so much trouble.

Easybus.co.uk for airport connection

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As mentioned, there are direct, express coach services. They might be a little pricey (£25?), but it means not dealing with possibly multiple connections in a strange city.

Make sure they have a mobile with them that has roaming enabled - you may need to talk to their phone provider. Not to make a lot of phone calls (roaming charges vary), but so its easier to meet people and for peace of mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement