Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1980 auto Fiat Mirafori

Options
  • 23-02-2012 1:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭

One of these had come up for sale . What problems would there likely be and how much should I pay. 133k miles 1.6 litre. I would like to buy mainly for nostalgia Also are these old enough to be considered classics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How long is a piece of string? It's all about condition, and about how badly you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Rust. Electrics.

Were talking a Fiat of the bad old days. Like the X1/9 a lot would have hideously rusted...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

are these old enough to be considered classics?

You would qualify for classic motor tax, just €52 per year. You would also be able to get cheap classic insurance if you are over 25 and already have another car. Because the car is from 1980, you will need to have the car NCTd every year forever. Does it have a current NCT?

And the short answer: yes of course your 131 is a classic car!. Buy it and treasure it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

One of these had come up for sale . What problems would there likely be and how much should I pay. 133k miles 1.6 litre. I would like to buy mainly for nostalgia Also are these old enough to be considered classics?
    you may want to read this .......
    SOMETIMES PRODUCTS CAN BE USED LONG AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN RULED DANGEROUS. A case I examined in the 1970s involved cars suddenly catching fire; I traced the cause to ozone cracks and wear in the rubber and plastic fuel lines of the Fiat Mirafiori (which was sold in the U.S. as the Brava). The car was recalled in many markets, but not the Republic of Ireland, where unwitting owners were still driving very dangerous vehicles.

Needless to say, the company paid substantial damages.

There were many car fires in the U.S. with similar results.

None of the accidents had to happen. If the fuel line had been well designed from the beginning using armored ozone-resistant rubber, there would have been no problem.

The way Fiat handled this case was echoed recently by Toyota, which denied its accelerator problems for several years until pressures of litigation finally led to admission of a serious design flaw. Both the Fiat and Toyota cases show that design faults are replicated endlessly and needlessly. Such problems should have been discovered by rigorous testing before those models ever went to the dealer showroom.

25478.jpg
    The Fiat Mirafiori was built with defective fuel lines, which led to some horrific and
    sometimes fatal car fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Rust. My Da had a Mirafiori for 11 years and 130k miles from new until the two front suspension posts rusted away. Also had rusty sills and lots of cosmetic rust around the rear wheel arches.
    That was in 1990, so I'd hate to think what state any equivalent Mirafiori might be in now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭squonk

My dad had a Mirafiori around about 1983. I think it replaced a 1980 corolla that was a complete rust bucket. the Mirafiori wasn't a lot better. We only had it a few years but I remember lots of filler going into it and it got a bit of a paint job at one stage because so much work was needed on one area. The electrics were also crap. The heater packed it in soon enough and only did full on heat. It had to be disconnected. It was definitely one of the less memorable cars we owned growing up. It was replaced by a Sunny Sentra which was a far better car. I'd say you'd have a lot of work on these. From my experience, much like the 80 corolla, they seemed to rust on contact with air! It didn't help that we're near the sea on the west coast so there'd be spray and salt carried the mile or two inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

As a pointer to it's value, a very clean Estate 131 was up for sale for a good while some time back. The car was very clean, low mileage and was first owned by the President Hillary's wife and was registered to the Aras.
    AFAIK that car made around 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sam22

if it is a fiat 131 that you want fair play to you they are a pretty rare car nowadays, as with any car from that era they suffer from rust,mechanical parts are for the most part readily available, fiat are no more unreliable or prone to rust as some other cars of that time period, try this site it is mainly for italian cars, eg fiat .alfa. lancia. etc http://allitalia.proboards.com/index.cgi?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbb...

My dad had one for a few years in the early 80's mirafiori in beige colour with a browny orange interior, remember it being very reliable and quite nippy. Also remember my dad patching up the disolvingbodywork with fibre-grass

In my opinion if the body work, sills and suspension struts are good (make sure you get a magnet on them) and you have a garage to keep it then why not. If you do not have a garage then you will you will be shovelling rust from your drive way come the summer!!

I wouldn't pay more than 1500 for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭squonk

Ours had that browny/orange interior also. The colour of ours was weird. A sort of purpley grey, if that makes any sense!

• Advertisement
Advertisement