Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROUND cattle shed anyone?

• 20-05-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.roundhouseltd.co.uk/

2.jpg

2.jpg

roundhouse2.jpg

Really like these. All pens are wedge shaped. Cattle can be funnelled into handling area in middle.

I wonder how they'd work with a tank under?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Class shed , it would be much safer for handling bigger cattle anyhow .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

saw these before they're a class job.Any idea what they cost??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

saw these before they're a class job.Any idea what they cost??

rh30 holds 100approx beef animals 57000sterling basic price
    rh45 200head 149000 basic

article in this weeks farmers weekly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

jasus 2 of the small ones would be much better value than d big one. Any idea stan does those prices include the tank and slats? I'm guessin not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

jasus 2 of the small ones would be much better value than d big one. Any idea stan does those prices include the tank and slats? I'm guessin not!!

no steel only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Looks pretty but would not use them in Ireland. There a bit like woodchip pads there are great in countries with low rain fall amounts. I can imagine the cattle huddled in back of a pen during good westerly gale it pi##ing rain and the silage on one side of the shed ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    rh30 holds 100approx beef animals 57000sterling basic price
    rh45 200head 149000 basic

article in this weeks farmers weekly

This is where I seen it ;)

Looks pretty but would not use them in Ireland. There a bit like woodchip pads there are great in countries with low rain fall amounts. I can imagine the cattle huddled in back of a pen during good westerly gale it pi##ing rain and the silage on one side of the shed ruined.

Could a lad not adapt to suit Ireland? It was more the layout that I was taken by. Extremely easy and safe to handle stock I would imagine (I'm thinking bull beef especially) with minimal movement. And all under one roof. If I was fulltime farming in the morning I'd be looking into one of them.

I'm thinking a round tank (like a donut) could work well. They mainly use strw bedding in England, so some Irish lad would have to test the concept;) Obviously slats would have to be custom made. Agitating, centrifugal force and all that, it could be easy to get it moving as opposed to the same size conventional long rectangular tank..... now I could be WAY wrong! ;)

RE:rain.....Nothing to stop a lad putting up a wind/rain barrier or closing or partially closing part of the feed slab to make a curved passageway...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

sounds like a expensive umbrella.

i have seen some thing like that in used car sales but on a smaller scale.j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Muckit wrote: »
    Could a lad not adapt to suit Ireland? It was more the layout that I was taken by. Extremely easy and safe to handle stock I would imagine (I'm thinking bull beef especially) with minimal movement. And all under one roof. If I was fulltime farming in the morning I'd be looking into one of them.

I'm thinking a round tank (like a donut) could work well. They mainly use strw bedding in England, so some Irish lad would have to test the concept;) Obviously slats would have to be custom made. Agitating, centrifugal force and all that, it could be easy to get it moving as opposed to the same size conventional long rectangular tank..... now I could be WAY wrong! ;)

RE:rain.....Nothing to stop a lad putting up a wind/rain barrier or closing or partially closing part of the feed slab to make a curved passageway...:rolleyes:

A farmer in Enfield county meath is using one these last few years. I'm sure the company in england would give you his name as I believe he's an agent for them too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is there one up in Meath area already, anyone know for definite?

A rancher you type faster than me.....

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is there one up in Meath area already, anyone know for definite?

A rancher you type faster than me.....
    One mile from Enfield on the Kinnegad road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Muckit wrote: »

Anything that has to be custom made costs a foutune I can see the advantages for cattle handling. Might work along the east coast where we have less rainfall than the west of Ireland. Howeever it looks an expensive experiment if it did not work. Wind barriers sound great but you would need them near the shed to work,walls would add more expense, a hedge 20' from shed would add leaves into chutes so extra maintenance. Also a wind barrier would have to be higher than the shed to keep rain from getting into it or onto silage. Them green netting on it will only keep rain off cattle in the back of shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I saw the shed on farming Sunday on channel 280. It cuts labour and animal stress as they are easy to move and handle. Natural air flow through the shed was another benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

are they straw bedded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Do they not seem very expensive compared to building a normal straw bedded house for 100 cattle? Or are the prices in my head way off:confused:

My thinking is that you'd get a lad in Ireland to build the shed for you. Doesn't have to be exactly the same.

Make it kinda like an old fifty pence piece rather than totally round ;) Nothing to stop you putting galvanise on roof. There would be alot of hips on the roof though

Advertisement